ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Purdue sit with Rob Phinesse?

We are in on a couple of good to possibly very good guards. I won't judge a miss on Phinisee til I see what the final 2018 class looks like. If we get Hunter or Carmody or another guard with very solid potential I'm not going to stress about missing out on Phinisee.

Painter has already offered Phinisee. I don't care what happens with any other potential recruit. If you offer a local kid and don't land him, it's a problem.

Painter has already offered Phinisee. I don't care what happens with any other potential recruit. If you offer a local kid and don't land him, it's a problem.

I assume you have problems with all the other schools that lose local kids. It happens everywhere and to everybody.

Close to home. Anyone gets to watch you play. So, yeah.

Why would I have a problem with some other school failing? False equivalency.

So only Purdue should expect to get every single talented local kid? Got it. You claimed it was a problem so I made the statement that you must think there is a problem with other schools when it happens elsewhere. I didn't say you would personally have a problem nor did you make the specification that it was a personal problem of your own. You passed it off as somewhat of a program problem.

There is also a thing called an academic major. If an athlete wants to be a music major, he's not going to go to Purdue no matter if he lives in town or how much Painter recruits him.

There is also a thing called an academic major. If an athlete wants to be a music major, he's not going to go to Purdue no matter if he lives in town or how much Painter recruits him.

Gotta be Painter's fault for not appealing to the university and anticipating the wants of prospective recruits and getting those majors added.

Reactions: tjreese
IMO something is wrong if he goes elsewhere. That just seems obvious to me. If Painter is the coach that many here say he is, he lands this kid easy. I'm not going to lay the foundation ahead of time for the excuses later just in case he swings and misses with him. I'm also not going to turn and claim he's not that great of a talent if he goes elsewhere either.
No, you're just going to take the opposite extreme from the excuse makers, essentially saying if we don't get him there's something wrong with Painter and our program. If we don't land him, your excuses will just be different than the other guys. They won't be about the kid, just about Painter.

There are a hundred factors these kids have to think about when making the biggest decision of their lives to this point. Geography is just one of them.

Reactions: BoilerStation
I would rather have 2 of Carmody, Hunter, and Anderson, all who are higher ranked, and then get Francis or Thompson in 2019.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
So only Purdue should expect to get every single talented local kid? Got it. You claimed it was a problem so I made the statement that you must think there is a problem with other schools when it happens elsewhere. I didn't say you would personally have a problem nor did you make the specification that it was a personal problem of your own. You passed it off as somewhat of a program problem.

No. I think if you can't land the local kid, in your own town, then there is a problem. That, IMO, makes it perfectly clear the other coach is out recruiting you. Or, perceived as the better coach and running the better program. I do think that most would feel the same at other programs. I don't think this is some unusual thought. But, in the end, I really don't care if another coach doesn't land a local kid. I just think they must not be that good.

I would rather have 2 of Carmody, Hunter, and Anderson, all who are higher ranked, and then get Francis or Thompson in 2019.

I would rather get the players that my coach has decided he wants. Not players you like. Who, in their right mind, has the narcissism to think they know better who to recruit? I want Painter to land every player he wants. I want him to succeed. At the same time, I think Phinisee, needs to be in the bag or we have a problem. He's extended the offer and needs to get the local kid. Every time.

No, you're just going to take the opposite extreme from the excuse makers, essentially saying if we don't get him there's something wrong with Painter and our program. If we don't land him, your excuses will just be different than the other guys. They won't be about the kid, just about Painter.

There are a hundred factors these kids have to think about when making the biggest decision of their lives to this point. Geography is just one of them.

It's not an extreme to expect to land the local kid if you really think your coach is good or above average. I've seen it here over an over when Painter doesn't get a recruit. And, I'm seeing the foundation of the same now with Robert. Painter must land Phinisee.

I would rather get the players that my coach has decided he wants. Not players you like. Who, in their right mind, has the narcissism to think they know better who to recruit? I want Painter to land every player he wants. I want him to succeed. At the same time, I think Phinisee, needs to be in the bag or we have a problem. He's extended the offer and needs to get the local kid. Every time.

So now you are complaining about posters having a preference to which kids commit here? We can't get every player Painter wants because it simply isn't possible to roster that many players. Painter wants all of them so what is the problem with us ordering our preferences to which players we get a commits from? And you call this narcissism then a sentence or two later make an all encompassing statement about it being a problem if 1 local kid goes elsewhere without knowing anything about what that local kid is looking for in a school.

So now you are complaining about posters having a preference to which kids commit here? We can't get every player Painter wants because it simply isn't possible to roster that many players. Painter wants all of them so what is the problem with us ordering our preferences to which players we get a commits from? And you call this narcissism then a sentence or two later make an all encompassing statement about it being a problem if 1 local kid goes elsewhere without knowing anything about what that local kid is looking for in a school.

Explain to me how believing my coach should pick players and not you is complaining? That's hilarious!! And, it's a false narrative to act like Painter can't have every player he wants because the roster isn't big enough. Trust me, he'd find a way to manage if he ever reached a point that he lands every player he wants. That's bullshit.

Explain to me how believing my coach should pick players and not you is complaining? That's hilarious!! And, it's a false narrative to act like Painter can't have every player he wants because the roster isn't big enough. Trust me, he'd find a way to manage if he ever reached a point that he lands every player he wants. That's bullshit.

Is this a serious post? Is he going to petition the NCAA for more scholarships? We going to roster 25 kids a year so we can keep every single player Painter wants? Painter has picked players he wants and Hunter, Carmody and others listed by posters are all players that Painter wants. He can't have them all so this is why posters enjoy ranking these players in order of preference. I can't believe I'm actually wasting my time explaining this.

Reactions: Gemini95

It's not an extreme to expect to land the local kid if you really think your coach is good or above average. I've seen it here over an over when Painter doesn't get a recruit. And, I'm seeing the foundation of the same now with Robert. Painter must land Phinisee.
I didn't use the term "extreme" in that way.
I'll try to make it easier.
If we don't get Rob, on one extreme will be those who say we didn't want/need him anyway. You will be on the other extreme, saying Painter sucks and can't recruit.
The truth will be somewhere in the middle.

Size wise he could create mismatches at pg for sure......I was just wondering if Eastern was quick enough to play the pg @ Purdue?
This is a good question. Carsen was recruited to play PG. But when he arrived, it became clear that his offense was needed. If something similar happens with Eastern, Purdue will again rely on PJ to man the PG duties, probably with Mathias backing him up, and then try to recruit another PG for 2018.

i would give you "close to home" and "anyone gets to watch you play" as reasons a kid commits to a local school 30-40 years ago. No way that's a major factor anymore. Go look at what % of the Rivals Top 150 commit to a school within 30 miles of their home. It can't be more than 2%.

We are in on a couple of good to possibly very good guards. I won't judge a miss on Phinisee til I see what the final 2018 class looks like. If we get Hunter or Carmody or another guard with very solid potential I'm not going to stress about missing out on Phinisee.
Probably come down to who picks purdue first

IMO something is wrong if he goes elsewhere. That just seems obvious to me. If Painter is the coach that many here say he is, he lands this kid easy. I'm not going to lay the foundation ahead of time for the excuses later just in case he swings and misses with him. I'm also not going to turn and claim he's not that great of a talent if he goes elsewhere either. He's a good kid and great local talent to let get away. Worst case scenario is a new coach (Miller) at our rival school lands him. In our own backyard. That would be very bad.
I agree 100%.

I was being entirely sarcastic. Of course it's not Painter's fault if a player wants a certain degree and we don't offer it here.
I know that, but everyone is acting like he would be a huge loss if he never went to purdue...and I'm not there at this time. Losing the bigs to Louisville and msu were big

Reactions: BoilerStation
I didn't use the term "extreme" in that way.
I'll try to make it easier.
If we don't get Rob, on one extreme will be those who say we didn't want/need him anyway. You will be on the other extreme, saying Painter sucks and can't recruit.
The truth will be somewhere in the middle.

Making it simple isn't needed. You are in fact calling it an extreme and I'm saying it's not on any level of extreme to believe you should lock down your town in regards to recruits. And, you'd never, ever be able to pull up any commentary by me saying Painter sucks. I may say we need to move on from him....or he's being out performed and recruited...or out coached in a game. I don't need to use that immature type of insults of Painter. And for you to insinuate that is a false narrative.However, I'm not afraid to tell you that I expect a Purdue University Basketball coach to close his home area to outside programs. Having another coach take him is and should be an insult. And, for anyone to dismiss or accept it is guilty of being tolerant of sub par performance. I'm not going to give in to peer pressure and accept bad performance from a million dollar making coach that several posters here brag perpetually about how much above average or great he is. If he's so flipping amazing, he lands Phinisee easily.

Making it simple isn't needed. You are in fact calling it an extreme and I'm saying it's not on any level of extreme to believe you should lock down your town in regards to recruits. And, you'd never, ever be able to pull up any commentary by me saying Painter sucks. I may say we need to move on from him....or he's being out performed and recruited...or out coached in a game. I don't need to use that immature type of insults of Painter. And for you to insinuate that is a false narrative.However, I'm not afraid to tell you that I expect a Purdue University Basketball coach to close his home area to outside programs. Having another coach take him is and should be an insult. And, for anyone to dismiss or accept it is guilty of being tolerant of sub par performance. I'm not going to give in to peer pressure and accept bad performance from a million dollar making coach that several posters here brag perpetually about how much above average or great he is. If he's so flipping amazing, he lands Phinisee easily.

I'm glad you've decided what's best for Phinisee and established that it shouldn't be his decision but automatic that he come here due to it being Purdue and Painter's area.

I obviously didn't make it simple enough. You still don't get what I'm saying.
It's nice to hear you're so above using the term "sucks". You don't like Painter or his results, but he doesn't suck. Good for you.
No matter, it seems to me you don't accept the realities of recruiting so the discussion seems pointless.
You appear to be one of those "no excuses", "no moral victories", "higher expectations means better results", and "Painter should do better cause he makes a lot of money" posters. Buh bye.

I don't know why people are fighting about this. Yes, some kids prefer to stay near home, and if Painter can't land those kids, there is a concern. However, some kids WANT to leave the state for college, which seems yo be the case for Phinesse. If Painter can't land such kids, who cares? I like Phinesse but I'm not so sold on him being a game-changer. I'd be more converned if Painter failed to have or execute the backup plan for the PG spot.

i would give you "close to home" and "anyone gets to watch you play" as reasons a kid commits to a local school 30-40 years ago. No way that's a major factor anymore. Go look at what % of the Rivals Top 150 commit to a school within 30 miles of their home. It can't be more than 2%.
Don't say that on the IU rivals board. Archie's going to "lock down the state".

You ever consider that he might be recruiting Hunter and Carmody a LOT harder?

I obviously didn't make it simple enough. You still don't get what I'm saying.
It's nice to hear you're so above using the term "sucks". You don't like Painter or his results, but he doesn't suck. Good for you.
No matter, it seems to me you don't accept the realities of recruiting so the discussion seems pointless.
You appear to be one of those "no excuses", "no moral victories", "higher expectations means better results", and "Painter should do better cause he makes a lot of money" posters. Buh bye.

I get what you're saying, you're just dancing around and struggle with opposing views. And, I don't really need your affirmation. Or patronizing passive aggressive bunk. I don't really care what you think I "appear to be" either. You "appear" to lack the capacity to accept someone thinks, believes and has a standard level different than you. When you decide that your rebuttal becomes commentary about me, you're out of your league. Just admit you don't like my opinion and can't put the reason why in a written format. At some point we grow out of crossing our arms, stomping our feet and holding our breath til we get our way. Later.

You ever consider that he might be recruiting Hunter and Carmody a LOT harder?

Yeah. I have no idea what that has to do with offering Phinisee. He offered a scholarship to the kid. At that point, with a kid in your back yard, you land. Unless someone is a better recruiter, has a better program or Robert decides is a better coach. I hope he's going after Hunter and Carmody, if he really wants them.

Yeah. I have no idea what that has to do with offering Phinisee. He offered a scholarship to the kid. At that point, with a kid in your back yard, you land. Unless someone is a better recruiter, has a better program or Robert decides is a better coach. I hope he's going after Hunter and Carmody, if he really wants them.
You really have no idea what Painter's prioritization of Hunter and Carmody might have to do with his pursuit of
Phinisee?

Wow. You must think we have unlimited scholarships. Yeah... we don't.

What if he has no desire to stay in the state of Indiana?

What if he has no desire to stay in the state of Indiana?

If that is the case, then IU and Butler are also wasting their time. The changing of coaches at IU is going to cause more recruiting clashes. Crean seemed focus on players that Painter never looked at. It is why MSU was the team I disliked the most because we often met in recruiting battles over the same players (we only won one battle, but that also happened to be our best player). I actually disliked MSU more than IU, but that may change back. If IU lands Phinisee, that would be a good instate get for them because of the changes. It wouldn't hurt as much if we lands Cormody and Hunter of course. Butler is also after all three and Butler landed Kyle Young over Purdue. That kid is going to be scary good. I am glad Painter is after all three, gives him a better chance of landing atleast one, even though we would be better off with two.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
You really have no idea what Painter's prioritization of Hunter and Carmody might have to do with his pursuit of
Phinisee?

Wow. You must think we have unlimited scholarships. Yeah... we don't.

Wow, you must think Painter has no idea what he's doing if he offered Phinisee but may not want him. You don't "Prioritize" your offers. You either decide you want a player, then offer, or you don't offer. You think Painter will just take it back because he thinks he's going to get another player? I think you're desperately creating cover in case we don't get Robert. I won't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT