ADVERTISEMENT

We dodged a bullet on Catchings

boiler in bloomington

True Freshman
Apr 4, 2007
I knew from the get-go that this kid was not coming to Purdue.
Don't know him personally, but seen his type before. "Me first."
Probably pissed his pants at the thought of having to play defense.
Would have been a cancer to team chemistry because I could not see him starting, with what we have coming back and the experience with it.
More than likely would have transferred at mid-season anyway when he realized Purdue is about the team and not about him.
I'll bet, truth be known, this is a load off CMP's back, not having to coddle him.
For him to back out this close to the start of practice, makes me think that he does not have a clue about what's going on.

We dodged a bullet.

Let’s not bad mouth him too much. He did what he thought was best for him, which we can all agree we do for ourselves. But yeah, leaving this close to practices starting is a tough look. He’s missing out on the chance to play at home in Mackey for a nationally competitive team and to having the Purdue fanbase behind him. Really too bad. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Would have been a cancer to team chemistry because I could not see him starting, with what we have coming back and the experience with it.
More than likely would have transferred at mid-season anyway when he realized Purdue is about the team and not about him.
I'll bet, truth be known, this is a load off CMP's back, not having to coddle him.
For him to back out this close to the start of practice, makes me think that he does not have a clue about what's going on.

We dodged a bullet.
Maybe. Maybe not. Hope his decision plays out in his favor for him.

Catchings is a unique , special talent with size, length, athleticism with good handles. We blew it…letting him walk.
He obviously didn't want to be at Purdue.

Carsen - All American
Ivey - All American
Edey - NPOY X 2

If this kid can't see that if you are talented and put in the work, Purdue will set you up for for success, then ✌️

Catchings is a unique , special talent with size, length, athleticism with good handles. We blew it…letting him walk.
Not really sure we let him walk per se. His decision made some sense. He is in no way an obvious one and done, as evidenced by his ranking in the upper 30s. People can say what they will about rankings, but I’d say obvious one and dones are the projected lottery picks that are ranked in the top 10-20 maybe? So he needed to show out to make the league after this year. Based on our roster, he would have at least started the season on the bench, not great for being showcased.

That being said, I think he made the wrong decision walking away. At the minimum, he is losing the ability to play with Smith, who is probably the optimal point guard in all of college basketball for setting the table for players to be showcased, at least for those that are ready for it.

If he goes to another college team, he will not play with a better table setter than Smith to showcase him. He will also miss Painter’s system to showcase the best players a la Carsen, Edey, and Ivey. If he stays for OTE, then lol good luck, he’ll really take a hit on marketability. Most people can’t name a single player going through OTE, and I think that carries through to the nba. Basketball fans often know players starting from college. Unless you are an all star in the nba it’s tough to make that up. That will hurt income from advertising pretty heavily long term.

Last edited:
Not really sure we let him walk per se. His decision made some sense. He is in no way an obvious one and done, as evidenced by his ranking in the upper 30s. People can say what they will about rankings, but I’d say obvious one and dones are the projected lottery picks that are ranked in the top 10-20 maybe? So he needed to show out to make the league after this year. Based on our roster, he would have at least started the season on the bench, not great for being showcased.

That being said, I think he made the wrong decision walking away. At the minimum, he is losing the ability to play with Smith, who is probably the optimal point guard in all of college basketball for setting the table for players to be showcased, at least for those that are ready for it.

If he goes to another college team, he will not play with a better table setter than Smith to showcase him. He will also miss Painter’s system to showcase the best players a la Carsten, Edey, and Ivey. If he stays for OTE, then lol good luck, he’ll really take a hit on marketability. Most people can’t name a single player going through OTE, and I think that carries through to the nba. Basketball fans often know players starting from college. Unless you are an all star in the nba it’s tough to make that up. That will hurt income from advertising pretty heavily long term.
He’s not a one and done because his ranking was based on potential. He needs to fill out his frame.

If he goes to another college team, he will not play with a better table setter than Smith to showcase him. He will also miss Painter’s system to showcase the best players a la Carsen, Edey, and Ivey. If he stays for OTE, then lol good luck, he’ll really take a hit on marketability. Most people can’t name a single player going through OTE, and I think that carries through to the nba. Basketball fans often know players starting from college. Unless you are an all star in the nba it’s tough to make that up. That will hurt income from advertising pretty heavily long term.
Agreed. OTE can point to the Thompson brothers though…but still that league is absolute trash and he will not develop his game the way he needs to in order to be at the next level.

Reactions: ChuckJr

We dodged a bullet.
He was almost assuredly starting. What wasn't going to happen is a showcase season where the most important thing to Purdue was getting Kanon Catchings highly drafted.

He was going to have to be part of a team, which meant playing where the team needed him to play not necessarily where Kanon thought he needed to play for NBA purposes. And yes it might mean someone else occasionally gets focus on games.

I'm guessing he wanted something different. Which is fine. Part of the whole problem is we force players like Catchings into pretending they want to play on a college team for a season or two because there's no good developmental league right now.

The guy is in Mock Drafts for 2025. Mostly second round, so who knows.

I think he's probably making a smart move. I'm not sure I'd trust Painter given the Colvin situation last year. Painter plays guys who buy into his system and play a team game. If I were Catchings I'd focus on getting myself prepared for the NBA over a chance at a B1G crown. He may not be a one and done but it's pretty clear that's his goal. It wouldn't have happened at Purdue.

• Haha
Reactions: Flot and Poprudy
Carsen - All American
Ivey - All American
Edey - NPOY X 2

If this kid can't see that if you are talented and put in the work, Purdue will set you up for for success....

Disagree we dodged a bullet on Catchings.

Hurts to lose talent..... especially when you have our coaching staff that has demonstrated they know how to use and manage talent....as you point out.

Last edited:
Reactions: seminolesboilers

I think he's probably making a smart move. I'm not sure I'd trust Painter given the Colvin situation last year. Painter plays guys who buy into his system and play a team game. If I were Catchings I'd focus on getting myself prepared for the NBA over a chance at a B1G crown. He may not be a one and done but it's pretty clear that's his goal. It wouldn't have happened at Purdue.
Paint would not want you on his team either then.

He may not be a one and done but it's pretty clear that's his goal. It wouldn't have happened at Purdue.

Disagree. And now we will never know. My reasoning....one thing with 1&Ds - if they really are 1&Ds, how much college PT they have gotten, many times has not mattered much. Because if the kid is truly a 1&D, scouts tend to figure that out, no matter where they are......playing alot or on the bench.

Paint would not want you on his team either then.
LOL. I'm sure he wouldn't. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing for Purdue, I just think for him it made sense.

To be honest, I'm not sure this hurts Purdue that much. Catchings has more talent than anyone on the team but he's a freshman. If he ended up being a key piece this year, he might have left.

Reactions: Schnelk
Disagree. And now we will never know. My reasoning....one thing with 1&Ds - if they really are 1&Ds, how much college PT they have gotten, many times has not mattered much. Because if the kid is truly a 1&D, scouts tend to figure that out, no matter where they are......playing alot or on the bench.
They aren't sitting behind guys like Loyer, Heide and Furst. Just look at teams like Michigan. They had a great model for getting guys into the NBA. So did Kentucky. Doesn't mean they win anything in college, but they get guys drafted.

We had 1 guy play in the NBA last year. One! Edey will make it two this year. Painter's had 3 guys in 19 years play 100 games or more in the NBA. Michigan has 11 guys currently in the NBA. Kentucky has 28. All the talk about Painter preparing guys for the NBA is ridiculous. That's just not his focus.

Painter is a great coach. Again a great coach. But if my son had one and done type talent, he wouldn't be going to Purdue. If he were a 4-year player without much of a chance at playing at the next level, I'd encourage him to play for Painter all day long.

It was just a bad fit.

They aren't sitting behind guys like Loyer, Heide and Furst. Just look at teams like Michigan. They had a great model for getting guys into the NBA. So did Kentucky. Doesn't mean they win anything in college, but they get guys drafted.

We had 1 guy play in the NBA last year. One! Edey will make it two this year. Painter's had 3 guys in 19 years play 100 games or more in the NBA. Michigan has 11 guys currently in the NBA. Kentucky has 28. All the talk about Painter preparing guys for the NBA is ridiculous. That's just not his focus.

Painter is a great coach. Again a great coach. But if my son had one and done type talent, he wouldn't be going to Purdue. If he were a 4-year player without much of a chance at playing at the next level, I'd encourage him to play for Painter all day long.

It was just a bad fit.

You missed my point. Wasn't about us.

It was, if you are good, scouts find you. You are saying they wouldn't find a player @ Purdue. I just disagree. These scouts flat out know what they are doing. They will find you. Whether you are here or overseas, G league or wherever.

And your first sentence is highly disrespectful of Purdue players.

Reactions: PurdueDave

It was just a bad fit.
agree

Jaden Ivey could have been drafted after his freshman year - it would have been probably late first round but he would have been drafted 100%. If Kanon was ready to play as a freshman and be a stud it wouldn't be Purdue holding him back.

We dodged a bullet.
I agree with this assessment. Looking back at his initial recruitment it seemed very clear there was not a lot of commitment.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Schnelk
The more I think about this, the more I am convinced Painter knew that someone was never going to make it to the team and why we didn't see anything on our over sign (which I mentioned in another post.. I know).

All speculation on my part, but it all sorta lines up and is a tad too coincidental.

We dodged a bullet.
Wow....that's a lot of assumptions for someone who doesn't know him and probably hasn't seen him play.
As others have said, the kid is going to do what's best for him. Maybe his goal is a 1 n done and being the focus of the offense and Painter said that wasn't likely the case.
Maybe he's getting much better NIL deals elsewhere.
Who knows other than him and his family.

Reactions: RossMackey

It was just a bad fit.
College coach can get their players ready for the next level, but it is up to them to continue to grow and keep a spot in the big league. Painter has gotten a lot more than 3 players drafted, and even more than that have gotten deep bench/G league spots and had their chance.

Outside of some coaches that excel at NBA prep such as Self, K, and Cal, very few coaches have developed non NBA talent into NBA talent better than Painter. Catchings isn't a for sure NBA pick, he has a skill set that can get him there, but so did Nojel Eastern.

I'm not sure who has roster spots still available that will get him ready for the NBA better than Purdue would this year (and likely next), so he may find a spot that will better showcase his skillset, but it is very unlikely he will find a spot that will improve his skillset as much as Purdue would have.

He obviously thinks he is ready now, so his main priority is getting minutes to showcase. Considering he is currently viewed as a mid second round pick, I think that isn't the best goal. He should be looking for how to get into a lottery pick situation where the money is guaranteed.

It was just a bad fit.
You do not learn anything by losing, you do not learn anything by being handed something! You get exposure by being competitive! WOW, would rather go play for a coach that rolls the ball out on the court( Howard) than a coach like Painter who is a great coach! Hope your son doesn't listen to you! This is the type of mentality that is stinking up college sports! 3% of these college players make it to the NBA, we are really in the market of destroying college sports for some over hyped kids who constantly hear the phrase, YOU are a one and done! Most of those kids will end up not in the NBA, plus ends up with no DEGREE! Loyer, Heide and Furst should sue you! I hope Purdue stays a COLLEGE team for as long as possible!

Living on the east coast, I’m not privy to inside info (which you clearly possess) on Catching’s personality, or Painter’s recruiting strategy—

So please enlighten me: how, precisely, did we “blow it”????

Unbelievable— we’re barely two friggin months removed from probably our best season ever— made possible by a coaching staff that is universally respected and admired for how Purdue goes about things …
And still, we’re subjected to the a$$-holiness of the snowflake “fans” around here who live to denegrate Matt Painter at every opportunity 🙄

Wow....that's a lot of assumptions for someone who doesn't know him and probably hasn't seen him play.
As others have said, the kid is going to do what's best for him. Maybe his goal is a 1 n done and being the focus of the offense and Painter said that wasn't likely the case.
Maybe he's getting much better NIL deals elsewhere.
Who knows other than him and his family.
Well said.

We all know how a Purdue degree sets up a person well for the future— perhaps Kanon feels the same way about a scholarship offer from Matt Painter.

See ya…

Purdue doesn't start freshman?????

That is when I quit listening.
If you follow Greg and Carter, that was a more TIC comment. We don’t usually see freshman starters but we have seen in the past of freshman starting at the beginning of the season as well as earned starting spots later.

So please enlighten me: how, precisely, did we “blow it”????
Yeah it's a loss but saying we "blew it" I think is a stretch. If he stayed we likely lose someone else because there is only so many minutes to go around to so much talent that is on our roster.

Also in this day and age, there is nothing to say he wasn't poached as others have pointed out... in the new landscape that is College Basketball, that may be the new reality.

I just find it odd he made it all the way to campus THEN wanted out of his commitment. He musta saw something that he didn't like and decided to move on.

So be it, we're still going to be exceptionally good.

It was just a bad fit.
Completely wrong!

The player has to have the talent to get himself a sustainable NBA career that's something not coached. Paint seems to get his players noticed based on his coaching ability. Yes, CMP seems to recruit to his system but there are exceptions and if this kid felt he had the talent to be an NBA star he would flourish anywhere he goes. Unfortunately, some kids thinking can get in their own way.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Yeah it's a loss but saying we "blew it" I think is a stretch. If he stayed we likely lose someone else because there is only so many minutes to go around to so much talent that is on our roster.

Also in this day and age, there is nothing to say he wasn't poached as others have pointed out... in the new landscape that is College Basketball, that may be the new reality.

I just find it odd he made it all the way to campus THEN wanted out of his commitment. He musta saw something that he didn't like and decided to move on.

So be it, we're still going to be exceptionally good.
I guess it was misreported and he never got to campus. He called painter and asked for his release. Would have been great to see his ability in a Purdue uniform but at least he did it right before practices/trainings started

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I guess it was misreported and he never got to campus. He called painter and asked for his release. Would have been great to see his ability in a Purdue uniform but at least he did it right before practices/trainings started
Ahh okay I missed that part about campus. Thanks for clearing that up.

And I agree I would love to have the "problem" of so much talent and figuring out who to play when, but.. better now than later if its gonna happen.

It was just a bad fit.

We have no idea what he would do with a one-and-done talent because one hasn't come to Purdue since he's been coach. We do know that few teams in the country focus their offense around their best player like we do whether it be a post player like Edey or a guard like Carsen Edwards. If you're the best player, we will get you the ball.

What we don't do is bend over backwards to make someone look like the best player if they aren't. Given how the NBA draft is about potential rather than production, it doesn't seem wise to consistently build your college program around them.

Reactions: BBG and Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT