ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings to BYU

Great...for you. You made a choice that works for you. That doesn't put you on a higher moral plane because you made that choice.
I never said it did but you stated.

"I mean if a job offers to double your pay, is more fulfilling, has a better healthcare plan, etc you gonna turn it down because you made a commitment?"

You sound like you're speaking on behalf of everyone. I'm stating what worked for me....see the difference.

He called before he took "the job," laid out what he wanted and his future boss said no, so they parted ways.

I'm sorry but I don't see an integrity issue. Maturity issue perhaps sure. Not understanding what's best for him maybe.

But he didn't just leave, he talked to the coach beforehand.

Tampering isn't really a thing anymore. Not at the college level. Injecting morals into something like this doesn't make much sense to me.
Then you have now completely destroyed your original justification for what he did.

You don't see an integrity issue. He verbally committed, publicly. He put his signature on his LOI. A better legal analogy is that he contracted to join the Purdue University basketball team, then at the last minute, made unreasonable demands to obtain his release from the contract.

Painter was wise enough to release him, probably because he sees what many of us see -- that this kid doesn't have the character to fit the Purdue basketball culture. But it's my understanding that Painter wasn't required to release him. I don't know where that would leave Catchings as far as options. He might be required to pay his own way at BYU with his NIL salary.

But in a way you echoed my initial concern that I stated. You questioned his maturity and understanding. So, If he can freely violate commitments and contracts whenever he "feels" he doesn't like it, how will he understand the value of his word and his reputation? How will he gain maturity and understanding if there are no corrective consequences and no accountability?

Then you have now completely destroyed your original justification for what he did.

You don't see an integrity issue. He verbally committed, publicly. He put his signature on his LOI. A better legal analogy is that he contracted to join the Purdue University basketball team, then at the last minute, made unreasonable demands to obtain his release from the contract.

Painter was wise enough to release him, probably because he sees what many of us see -- that this kid doesn't have the character to fit the Purdue basketball culture. But it's my understanding that Painter wasn't required to release him. I don't know where that would leave Catchings as far as options. He might be required to pay his own way at BYU with his NIL salary.

But in a way you echoed my initial concern that I stated. You questioned his maturity and understanding. So, If he can freely violate commitments and contracts whenever he "feels" he doesn't like it, how will he understand the value of his word and his reputation? How will he gain maturity and understanding if there are no corrective consequences and no accountability?
Painter agreed to that contract too. And released him after discussion, ergo, the ethical issue is what?

Yes, this kid lost any integrity when he tried making a coach play him to fulfill his own need. Once again, CMP/Purdue run this program and that's the reason this program is successful. It's the original reason you committed to play for Purdue. You need to prove yourself before you become the leader.....

Painter will never lead a recruit on and to me that's integrity.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Painter agreed to that contract too. And released him after discussion, ergo, the ethical issue is what?
It's the way he de-committed for me.

He de-committed based on wanting playing time to fullfill his need. So, you develop an atmosphere of kids that don't want to work hard to achieve their goals and hand everything to them.

That's why you have a coach to make sure that structure is in place. I'll take the CMP approach vs an 18 year old kid that is only looking out for themselves.

Hopefully there is a Taco Bell in Provo. He reads like the type of recruit that would need a late night drive thru grub.
Not sure about Taco Bell, but there will be at least half a dozen Crumbl cookie shops and a dozen soda shops within a 5 minute walk of his dorm. Diabetes will be at his doorstep in no time.

Also, have you seen Mormon coeds? They're all hot, dumb, crazy, down for any and all booty-related activities, as well as 'soaking'. What more could you want as a D1 athlete?

Reactions: pboiler18
It's the way he de-committed for me.

He de-committed based on wanting playing time to fullfill his need. So, you develop an atmosphere of kids that don't want to work hard to achieve their goals and hand everything to them.

That's why you have a coach to make sure that structure is in place. I'll take the CMP approach vs an 18 year old kid that is only looking out for themselves.
And that's immoral again how?

There were plenty of bread crumbs to follow from the moment he decomitted! His OTE coach was hired I believe the day before he asked to be released from his NLI. So coach hired by BYU as assistant coach … catchings phone call… de commit… arranges visit to BYU for the following week… BYU has been paying large money 💰 bags to recruits and offering high rated players.. new BYU head coach has recent NBA experience…

1) Since Keady-time Purdue has been about the front of the jersey not the back.
2). The player in question MAY be a one and done but his frame needs some muscle to withstand the rigorous NBA 82 game season.
3) Watch the NBA Draft and see how many lottery picks are from abroad.
4) IMHO, Purdue dodged a cancer in the clubhouse.

I took it more so from Brian that catchings would be at his best form by year 3 and make the most impact then. He still called him a really talented players just that he probably would reach his highest potential by year 3. We probably wouldn’t have ever seen that, as he for sure would have been gone after 2 year but more than likely after 1.

Sucks that we won’t get to see him suit up and hopefully he is able to do well at BYU. Still think Purdue was the best possible place for him, but maybe a change of scenery and not having a ton of distractions in Provo, Utah will help him along his journey.
I agree I didn’t read that year three comment as backpedaling either. It’s pretty widely reported the Catchings is better as a prospect than he is as a player at this point and Newbert didn’t say he wouldn’t be impactful his first two years.

This is just my observation, but it strikes me as sort of an Ivey situation, where Jaden showed flashes his first year, was really good but still had big gaps his second year and was gone before his third year, when he would’ve been the best player in the conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Did not see that coming. Apparently he has a prior relationship with the assistant coach.

I knew it was coming as soon as I heard BYU hired his summer coach. Definitely seems like some shady stuff to me. I think this team will gel together better without him honestly.

Reactions: Roeder
If anyone’s interested, From IUstar…err I mean Indy star:

In June of 2023, Kanon Catchings was about to enter his senior year of high school at Brownsburg in preparation for his college basketball future at Purdue. A year later, Catchings has embarked on a different journey – one that took him through Atlanta for his senior year at Overtime Elite – and now to Provo, Utah.

The 6-9 Catchings, who averaged 15.3 points on 37% shooting and 6.2 rebounds per game for the Cold Heart team of the Overtime Elite league, committed to BYU on Tuesday. Catchings, committed to Purdue following his sophomore year at Brownsburg before breaking off that pledge earlier this month, a few days before freshmen reported to West Lafayette.

Catchings visited BYU, Florida State and North Carolina State in a process his mother, Tauja, compared to a “speed dating” version of recruiting.

“It’s been an interesting ride,” Tauja Catchings said. “To being gone his senior year to going out to Utah, it’s not what we expected. But we trust God’s timing and he’s got Kanon.”
Kanon, the nephew of former Tennessee and Indiana Fever star Tamika Catchings, a member for the Naismith Basketball of Fame, is projected by ESPN NBA draft expert Jonathan Givony as a potential one-and-done college player and first-round draft pick next summer. Kevin Young, hired at BYU in April, appeared to be on track to becoming an NBA head coach and was a finalist for the Brooklyn Nets job just before taking the position at BYU, which was vacated when Mark Pope was hired by Kentucky.
Young was most recently an associate head coach with Phoenix Suns.

Tauja Catchings said originally after the departure from Purdue, she expected Kanon would likely return to Overtime Elite for a year and then either pursue professional or college basketball.

“That was what we were kind of thinking,” Tauja said. “He had great relationships there and that would be a natural fit. Then we got a lot of calls and a lot of schools were interested, which kind of surprised me. You kind of assume every team is pretty much filled by that point. You try to build relationships quickly. I told Kanon it was kind like an episode of the ‘Bachelor’ or something, but it was a good experience for him to go through it. I think a lot of people probably don’t realize he kind of rushed through it the first time.”

Catchings had a connection at BYU. His coach at Overtime Elite with the Cold Hearts was Tim Fanning, who Young hired as an assistant coach. Tauja said that connection does help “the comfort level” of committing to BYU but was not the deciding factor.
Kanon Catchings #8 of the Cold Hearts shoots the ball during an OTE Preseason game on Saturday, November 4, 2023 at OTE Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. Matthew Grimes/Overtime Elite,

“We had a Zoom call with them and met coach Young,” she said. “I love that he’s a family man and a man of faith, first and foremost. And he’s been where Kanon is trying to go in the NBA as a coach for many years. He has a lot of experience and could help prepare Kanon and other players who have NBA aspirations.”

Catchings, ranked as the No. 40 player in the country in the 247sports composite list, will move to BYU this weekend and get started on preparations for his freshman season. He averaged 17.5 points and 4.8 rebounds as a junior at Brownsburg and would have been one of the frontrunners for IndyStar Mr. Basketball as a senior.
Tauja, who was Illinois Miss Basketball in 1996 and went on to star at Illinois in college, said her family has “nothing but respect for Purdue” and cited Kanon’s close relationship for assistant coach Brandon Brantley as the most difficult part of moving on from the Boilermakers.

“Purdue is an exceptional program,” Tauja said. “Kanon’s goal when he committed to Purdue was just to play college basketball. His goal now is to play in the NBA. Purdue has been more of a traditional program, which I like. I played four years at Illinois. But I think Kanon was probably looking for a program that can support his timeline.”
Tauja said she is “heartbroken he’s not going to be 45 minutes from home,” but said Kanon’s experience at Overtime Elite probably allowed him to take another look at his future.

“I think it’s something that has been weighing on him for probably the past year,” she said. “I don’t believe everything came as a surprise to Purdue. I think going away to Overtime Elite allowed him to spread his wings and opened his eyes a little more. He was able to reevaluate everything. He’s 18 now and committed when he was 16. It’s been hard on him. His roots are here in Indiana, and he has a lot of ties here. But I’m proud of him.”
There are forks in the road that are tough to navigate in life. But with the vantage point of hindsight, Tauja said Kanon’s move to Overtime Elite was a positive. Now he is on to his next adventure in Utah.

“For Kanon, it was not just basketball,” she said. “It was pushing him out of the nest and helping with his maturity. He needed to grow and mature. I would have been terrified sending Kanon from our house to college. But having that year in between helped build him up academically. They really poured a lot into the players and build them up. He had ups and downs but was able to end on a positive note.”

Well, hopefully it’s what helps him get to the next level. I’m not sure an unproven college coach who was an NBA assistant will be successful his first year in college while also able to develop 18 year old kids into NBA ready, but who knows. We will see him in November, that’s for sure 😂

In June of 2023, Kanon Catchings was about to enter his senior year of high school at Brownsburg in preparation for his college basketball future at Purdue. A year later, Catchings has embarked on a different journey – one that took him through Atlanta for his senior year at Overtime Elite – and now to Provo, Utah.

The 6-9 Catchings, who averaged 15.3 points on 37% shooting and 6.2 rebounds per game for the Cold Heart team of the Overtime Elite league, committed to BYU on Tuesday. Catchings, committed to Purdue following his sophomore year at Brownsburg before breaking off that pledge earlier this month, a few days before freshmen reported to West Lafayette.

Catchings visited BYU, Florida State and North Carolina State in a process his mother, Tauja, compared to a “speed dating” version of recruiting.

“It’s been an interesting ride,” Tauja Catchings said. “To being gone his senior year to going out to Utah, it’s not what we expected. But we trust God’s timing and he’s got Kanon.”
Kanon, the nephew of former Tennessee and Indiana Fever star Tamika Catchings, a member for the Naismith Basketball of Fame, is projected by ESPN NBA draft expert Jonathan Givony as a potential one-and-done college player and first-round draft pick next summer. Kevin Young, hired at BYU in April, appeared to be on track to becoming an NBA head coach and was a finalist for the Brooklyn Nets job just before taking the position at BYU, which was vacated when Mark Pope was hired by Kentucky.

Tauja Catchings said originally after the departure from Purdue, she expected Kanon would likely return to Overtime Elite for a year and then either pursue professional or college basketball.

“That was what we were kind of thinking,” Tauja said. “He had great relationships there and that would be a natural fit. Then we got a lot of calls and a lot of schools were interested, which kind of surprised me. You kind of assume every team is pretty much filled by that point. You try to build relationships quickly. I told Kanon it was kind like an episode of the ‘Bachelor’ or something, but it was a good experience for him to go through it. I think a lot of people probably don’t realize he kind of rushed through it the first time.”

Catchings had a connection at BYU. His coach at Overtime Elite with the Cold Hearts was Tim Fanning, who Young hired as an assistant coach. Tauja said that connection does help “the comfort level” of committing to BYU but was not the deciding factor.
Kanon Catchings #8 of the Cold Hearts shoots the ball during an OTE Preseason game on Saturday, November 4, 2023 at OTE Arena in Atlanta, Georgia. Matthew Grimes/Overtime Elite,

“We had a Zoom call with them and met coach Young,” she said. “I love that he’s a family man and a man of faith, first and foremost. And he’s been where Kanon is trying to go in the NBA as a coach for many years. He has a lot of experience and could help prepare Kanon and other players who have NBA aspirations.”

Catchings, ranked as the No. 40 player in the country in the 247sports composite list, will move to BYU this weekend and get started on preparations for his freshman season. He averaged 17.5 points and 4.8 rebounds as a junior at Brownsburg and would have been one of the frontrunners for IndyStar Mr. Basketball as a senior.
Tauja, who was Illinois Miss Basketball in 1996 and went on to star at Illinois in college, said her family has “nothing but respect for Purdue” and cited Kanon’s close relationship for assistant coach Brandon Brantley as the most difficult part of moving on from the Boilermakers.

“Purdue is an exceptional program,” Tauja said. “Kanon’s goal when he committed to Purdue was just to play college basketball. His goal now is to play in the NBA. Purdue has been more of a traditional program, which I like. I played four years at Illinois. But I think Kanon was probably looking for a program that can support his timeline.”
Tauja said she is “heartbroken he’s not going to be 45 minutes from home,” but said Kanon’s experience at Overtime Elite probably allowed him to take another look at his future.

“I think it’s something that has been weighing on him for probably the past year,” she said. “I don’t believe everything came as a surprise to Purdue. I think going away to Overtime Elite allowed him to spread his wings and opened his eyes a little more. He was able to reevaluate everything. He’s 18 now and committed when he was 16. It’s been hard on him. His roots are here in Indiana, and he has a lot of ties here. But I’m proud of him.”
There are forks in the road that are tough to navigate in life. But with the vantage point of hindsight, Tauja said Kanon’s move to Overtime Elite was a positive. Now he is on to his next adventure in Utah.

“For Kanon, it was not just basketball,” she said. “It was pushing him out of the nest and helping with his maturity. He needed to grow and mature. I would have been terrified sending Kanon from our house to college. But having that year in between helped build him up academically. They really poured a lot into the players and build them up. He had ups and downs but was able to end on a positive note.”

Well, hopefully it’s what helps him get to the next level. I’m not sure an unproven college coach who was an NBA assistant will be successful his first year in college while also able to develop 18 year old kids into NBA ready, but who knows. We will see him in November, that’s for sure 😂

Real quick, name a list of coaches with NBA experience who have built a CBB pipeline/powerhouse by sprinkling their NBA fairy dust and getting guys to the pros.

Cal

Still waiting on others....

This Young guy is a joke who won't have a job in 3 yrs.

Real quick, name a list of coaches with NBA experience who have built a CBB pipeline/powerhouse by sprinkling their NBA fairy dust and getting guys to the pros.

Cal

Still waiting on others....

This Young guy is a joke who won't have a job in 3 yrs.
He will more than likely bounce for any nba head coaching job the moment it’s available. Being successful in college is a lot different than in the nba as we have seen over and over.

As to the potential call with Painter, I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I assume that the original call with Painter was initiated by Kanon and influenced by his OTE coach.

Kanon’s parents find out after the fact and freaked out. They called Painter to talk it through. Painter told them it was best for all involved to just move on.

Irony will be when he isn’t a starter, plays on a terrible team and doesn’t get drafted. Part of me won’t be surprised if he quits half way through the season. He might be the journeyman former 5 start who we see in an early season in 2-3 years playing in the ASUN or some mid major.

Thanks for posting. The comment from his mom about his timeline makes sense. It will be interesting to see if it plays out as he hopes. I'm too petty to honestly say I'm rooting for him but I don't bear any ill will. If he plays a ton and is picked in the first round a year from now I'd probably be happy for him that he made the right choice.

As to the potential call with Painter, I assume the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I assume that the original call with Painter was initiated by Kanon and influenced by his OTE coach.

Kanon’s parents find out after the fact and freaked out. They called Painter to talk it through. Painter told them it was best for all involved to just move on.

Irony will be when he isn’t a starter, plays on a terrible team and doesn’t get drafted. Part of me won’t be surprised if he quits half way through the season. He might be the journeyman former 5 start who we see in an early season in 2-3 years playing in the ASUN or some mid major.
I think that's a reasonable assessment of what may have happened. As I said in another post I can't say that I'm actively rooting for him but I do hope that it plays out better for him than what you're projecting.

I really think it's likely he starts. He probably would have here eventually. On a less talented BYU team starting with his OTE coach - likely.

I also think he gets drafted, if not year 1....year 2. Genes and size are there. When he puts on muscle, yea I can see him as a pro.

Going to be fun if we meet BYU this year.

Let's be honest about this question

Do you really believe CMP wasn't honest with Kanon right from the get go? Do you believe he promised him a certain amount of minutes or a starting position?

If not, then this clear is exactly why. He limited Purdue's ability to recruit that position until it was to late. When he, his mother had already determined it was OTE and then wait the year out to be pro. I don't mind if that's your thought and relayed back to a coach/program that has spent countless hours on getting you there.

He wasn't honest with CMP and from our coaches past. I truly believe was the issue. That is completely being dishonest about your main goal and that is an integrity issue.

I get if you're a "better" opportunity person but some are not and feel they still need to stand by their original commitment. Yes, the word "commitment" is a strong word and some people aren't strong enough to maintain that commitment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boiling Point
I really think it's likely he starts. He probably would have here eventually. On a less talented BYU team starting with his OTE coach - likely.

I also think he gets drafted, if not year 1....year 2. Genes and size are there. When he puts on muscle, yea I can see him as a pro.

Going to be fun if we meet BYU this year.
For sure he would have started here. *from reports* it seems that he didn’t want to work to get that spot…hope that wasn’t the case cuz I’ll always root for the Indiana kids. I hope this helps him get to the nba…I still think 2 years at Purdue could have got him there and even top 5-10 like Ivey. But we will never know.

BYU has a lot of transfers with some upperclassman that stuck around and, with Kanon, their best ever recruiting class. I just hope they didn’t guarantee a starting spot and then he doesn’t actually start.

Oh and we are 100% playing BYU first round of that tourney 😂

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Thanks for posting. The comment from his mom about his timeline makes sense. It will be interesting to see if it plays out as he hopes. I'm too petty to honestly say I'm rooting for him but I don't bear any ill will. If he plays a ton and is picked in the first round a year from now I'd probably be happy for him that he made the right choice.
For sure. Found a site that got rid of the paywall and thought it’d be something of interest for those here.

Always rooting for a kid from Indiana…wish it were on our team, but hope he can make it with this route he’s taking. I am a nobody, but believe he is making it harder on himself with this decision, but hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: northside100
I mean if a job offers to double your pay, is more fulfilling, has a better healthcare plan, etc you gonna turn it down because you made a commitment?

Not every commitment is the same. Marriage, children, being honest are all very important. But there's no moral element to seeking a better employment opportunity which is what this is to him.
I'd say giving your word is part of being honest but what do I know. No ill will here but he's getting bad advice.

Reactions: Poprudy
I always wonder about coaches who get hired with the idea that I can bring in this good player- he likes me and I think he will follow me if I ask him.
Turns out he is right- kid wants to play for him again so follows him and by golly, he is as good as advertised. Plays one year and is a lottery pick in the NBA draft. Good job, coach!
Except now- I have run out of kids I can deliver to the program. Am I now looking over my shoulder to be replaced by another unknown assistant who is believed to be able to bring in another great player with him? The program has shown they are willing to play that game- as you well know.
Live by the sword, die by the sword?

I always wonder about coaches who get hired with the idea that I can bring in this good player- he likes me and I think he will follow me if I ask him.
Turns out he is right- kid wants to play for him again so follows him and by golly, he is as good as advertised. Plays one year and is a lottery pick in the NBA draft. Good job, coach!
Except now- I have run out of kids I can deliver to the program. Am I now looking over my shoulder to be replaced by another unknown assistant who is believed to be able to bring in another great player with him? The program has shown they are willing to play that game- as you well know.
Live by the sword, die by the sword?
How long did Simeon Mars last at UK after Magloire left ?

I'd say giving your word is part of being honest but what do I know. No ill will here but he's getting bad advice.
Lol so if you and another person AGREE to rescind a contract you went back on your word?

Good lord.

Let's be honest about this question

Do you really believe CMP wasn't honest with Kanon right from the get go? Do you believe he promised him a certain amount of minutes or a starting position?

If not, then this clear is exactly why. He limited Purdue's ability to recruit that position until it was to late. When he, his mother had already determined it was OTE and then wait the year out to be pro. I don't mind if that's your thought and relayed back to a coach/program that has spent countless hours on getting you there.

He wasn't honest with CMP and from our coaches past. I truly believe was the issue. That is completely being dishonest about your main goal and that is an integrity issue.

I get if you're a "better" opportunity person but some are not and feel they still need to stand by their original commitment. Yes, the word "commitment" is a strong word and some people aren't strong enough to maintain that commitment.
He wasn't honest? How do you know that versus him simply going back and forth on what he wanted? Or being confused about the right move?

The moralizing of 18 year olds making tough decisions is ridiculous to me.

He wasn't honest? How do you know that versus him simply going back and forth on what he wanted? Or being confused about the right move?

The moralizing of 18 year olds making tough decisions is ridiculous to me.
But now your making this out to be his age vs. Your first statement of honest/integrity.

You keep moving the needle to meet your narrative.

I'm a parent and help guide my kids to uphold a commitment. He is also an 18 year old that is an adult and needs to start realizing a commitment holds him to be honest or should

Once again, the word "commitment" holds you accountable to people and most aren't strong enough to meet that meaning. It's ok, some just aren't.

I'm different than you....it's ok.

But now your making this out to be his age vs. Your first statement of honest/integrity.

You keep moving the needle to meet your narrative.

I'm a parent and help guide my kids to uphold a commitment. He is also an 18 year old that is an adult and needs to start realizing a commitment holds him to be honest or should

Once again, the word "commitment" holds you accountable to people and most aren't strong enough to meet that meaning. It's ok, some just aren't.

I'm different than you....it's ok.
Lol hyper moralizing nonsense

My take: Kannon is a damn good player. He’ll likely start at BYU and had good chances of getting starting minutes had he stayed at Purdue. I believe he thought he is better than some players at Purdue and wanted assurances he would get the minutes “he deserves “ without having to put in hard work to compete for them. I believe he thought Painter would eventually give him what he wanted, even though he’d been told about what he would experience at Purdue multiple times before. I believe his OTE coach probably talked to him before the Painter call. I think he told him what he wanted to hear and based on his talent and the team he’s now committed to, they may honor any promises. I think he has the talent to be a one and done, and hopefully for his sake he can capitalize on his manufactured opportunity. He almost certainly has an NBA future and with a decent year will make it to the NBA next year. His talent would have been beneficial to our team! It would have been nice to see him ball out in Gold and Black! He also could have equally been a cancer among team chemistry. Purdue will still be a highly talented team without Kanon Catchings. Hope he didn’t end up making a really bad decision going forward.
BTFU 🖤💛🏀

In general I am skeptical of sensational “reporting” that retroactively helps the program save face, if it’s “reported” by someone who exclusively covers one program for a fan subscription site.

Fan subscription sites lead to all news being spun to in a way that lets the subscribers feel positive. It happens with every single fanbase, which is why those fans then think all the national media guys “hate their program”. No, they don’t. They’re just telling you the truth/an honest opinion, which the people who cater their “coverage” to a specific program are financially incentivized to do the opposite.
You think the program/coach coming off a national championship game is the one that needs to "save face"? LOL

Hello pot....meet kettle.
Sure bud. I'm not the one needing to be more moral than others and judging kids because they didn't want to play basketball here but clearly that's important to you.

Maybe you should go back and read my point again. And follow the timeline of Catching's recruitment. It may become clearer to you.

There were plenty of bread crumbs to follow from the moment he decomitted! His OTE coach was hired I believe the day before he asked to be released from his NLI. So coach hired by BYU as assistant coach … catchings phone call… de commit… arranges visit to BYU for the following week… BYU has been paying large money 💰 bags to recruits and offering high rated players.. new BYU head coach has recent NBA experience…
BYY sounds like IU.

Do you equate integrity with immorality? I think I see it, but since you are the one who is using the immoral term, it may be helpful if you provide your definition. Are you using the term in the context of sinning? Is a lack of integrity sinful in your mind?

Several different takes that no one has mentioned.

First, he said his views have changed. Rather than playing for a storied college program, he wants to be on a path to the NBA.

Second. If he wants a road to the nba, why even play in college? There are several developmental leagues that have produced first round picks. Why not just play in a developmental league? Or did byu offer him more money than a developmental league?

Third. He’s a small forward. He’s not a power forward. He’s not a guard. Painter plays a 3 guard offense. Catchings would not play or start at the three this year at Purdue.

Fourth. If his desire is to only play in college one year, he only has to take 12 hours of classes his first semester and maintain a minimum gpa. He doesn’t need to go to classes his second semester. He can just play basketball and then prepare for the combine. It shouldn’t be too hard for him to find 12 hours of classes that first semester.

5th. BYU has an ethics moral code that all students must agree to and follow. There were a couple of athletes in the past that didn’t follow that code. I hope he doesn’t drink alcoholic beverages before his 21st birthday and he doesn’t engage in sex until after he is married. Those actions could end his college career at byu.

6th. It’s obvious what his desires are. They are not to get a degree, but rather to play in the NBA. It is clear he has a lot of talent. But that talent never seemed like a good fit for the current Purdue team. If he truly wanted to be a 3 in the nba, Purdue was not going to be the place to showcase his talents at the 3.

I still think a developmental league would have been a better choice for him than going to byu. Maybe byu offered him more money. Maybe he wanted to be like Bronny James. The Balls made it to the NBA without going to college. He should have followed their path.

Then again, I know nothing

Several different takes that no one has mentioned.

First, he said his views have changed. Rather than playing for a storied college program, he wants to be on a path to the NBA.

Second. If he wants a road to the nba, why even play in college? There are several developmental leagues that have produced first round picks. Why not just play in a developmental league? Or did byu offer him more money than a developmental league?

Third. He’s a small forward. He’s not a power forward. He’s not a guard. Painter plays a 3 guard offense. Catchings would not play or start at the three this year at Purdue.

Fourth. If his desire is to only play in college one year, he only has to take 12 hours of classes his first semester and maintain a minimum gpa. He doesn’t need to go to classes his second semester. He can just play basketball and then prepare for the combine. It shouldn’t be too hard for him to find 12 hours of classes that first semester.

5th. BYU has an ethics moral code that all students must agree to and follow. There were a couple of athletes in the past that didn’t follow that code. I hope he doesn’t drink alcoholic beverages before his 21st birthday and he doesn’t engage in sex until after he is married. Those actions could end his college career at byu.

6th. It’s obvious what his desires are. They are not to get a degree, but rather to play in the NBA. It is clear he has a lot of talent. But that talent never seemed like a good fit for the current Purdue team. If he truly wanted to be a 3 in the nba, Purdue was not going to be the place to showcase his talents at the 3.

I still think a developmental league would have been a better choice for him than going to byu. Maybe byu offered him more money. Maybe he wanted to be like Bronny James. The Balls made it to the NBA without going to college. He should have followed their path.

Then again, I know nothing
Was wondering where you were!

He probably got paid more/old OTE coach convinced him BYU is the answer.

D1 was the goal when he was 16, then changed to NBA once he got better. He for some reason thinks byu is a better route than Purdue for that even though we just had a top 5 lotto pick and a top 20 pick who was the 2x NPOTY.

Have been told by byu fans they expect him to play the 4.

He would have played the 3 and 4 here and would have started if paint thought he was the best option to give Purdue the best chance to win.

And pretty sure he only needs to pass 8 credit hours (will be put on academic probation for second semester) and not have to worry about classes second semester…as long as he’s a one and done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT