ADVERTISEMENT

We dodged a bullet on Catchings

You missed my point. Wasn't about us.

It was, if you are good, scouts find you. You are saying they wouldn't find a player @ Purdue. I just disagree. These scouts flat out know what they are doing. They will find you. Whether you are here or overseas, G league or wherever.

And your first sentence is highly disrespectful of Purdue players.
I picked those three guys because along with Colvin they would have been the guys competing for minutes with Catchings. Those three guys are college basketball players who will reach the pinnacle of their basketball career when they stop playing ball at Purdue. I'm sure they understand that. They are perfect fits for Painter's system. Colvin is a long shot to make it to the NBA, but I suppose there is a chance. He certainly didn't improve his chances by being barried on the bench last year.

I picked those three guys because along with Colvin they would have been the guys competing for minutes with Catchings. Those three guys are college basketball players who will reach the pinnacle of their basketball career when they stop playing ball at Purdue. I'm sure they understand that. They are perfect fits for Painter's system. Colvin is a long shot to make it to the NBA, but I suppose there is a chance. He certainly didn't improve his chances by being barried on the bench last year.

Barried.....on the bench?

I am from S. Indiana....I actually understood that.
😎

Last edited:
So tangent but I have a feeling Colvin explodes this coming season. He certainly looks to have hit the weight room and you can just sorta feel he is going to go off at any moment. His biggest issue has always been defense, but I even think that will improve enough.

Catchings moving on as has been stated, opens up that door for him.

So tangent but I have a feeling Colvin explodes this coming season. He certainly looks to have hit the weight room and you can just sorta feel he is going to go off at any moment. His biggest issue has always been defense, but I even think that will improve enough.

Or Catchings thought Colvin might close the door on him and wanted a guarantee against that.

💯

I have been saying that since before the season last year 😂 Myles has all the ability to be Jaden like…he’s got as much athleticism, but in different ways. He can jump higher than Jaden but Jaden was quicker end to end (so far from what we’ve seen). Colvins shot is waaaaay ahead of Jaden’s and Colvin grew another inch already. Hopefully Myles buys into defense more than Jaden did…I think he will and is going to be really good for us.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Schnelk
Long shot? Let’s see his jump from Frosh to sophomore year—I’m guessing he’s putting in the work. He is a young sophomore (mctako turns 20 this year a few months after Colvin turns 19) and He just grew an inch and added 10 lbs and is blessed with having pro level genes. He has nba level hops with one of the smoothest jumpers around. Can’t wait to watch this kid this year.

He was almost assuredly starting. What wasn't going to happen is a showcase season where the most important thing to Purdue was getting Kanon Catchings highly drafted.

He was going to have to be part of a team, which meant playing where the team needed him to play not necessarily where Kanon thought he needed to play for NBA purposes. And yes it might mean someone else occasionally gets focus on games.

I'm guessing he wanted something different. Which is fine. Part of the whole problem is we force players like Catchings into pretending they want to play on a college team for a season or two because there's no good developmental league right now.
Not a single source of sports coverage I have seen has projected him as a starter this year and many scouting reports indicate he needs a year to bulk up as he is pretty raw. He was a late bloomer. If TKR would have played center there would be a chance and it sounds like first May play 4.

Jaren Jackson jr played one year at msu, drafted in a good spot and only played 20 mpg. He did start though.

I have been saying that since before the season last year 😂 Myles has all the ability to be Jaden like…he’s got as much athleticism, but in different ways. He can jump higher than Jaden but Jaden was quicker end to end (so far from what we’ve seen). Colvins shot is waaaaay ahead of Jaden’s and Colvin grew another inch already. Hopefully Myles buys into defense more than Jaden did…I think he will and is going to be really good for us.
I'd pump the brakes on comparing Colvin to Ivey. Ivey could score from anywhere, had great handles and elite athleticism/body control. Colvin may have a nice jumper, but he hasn't shown the ability to get his own shot, get to the rim (despite having a nice vertical) or break down defenders. His ball handling needs a lot of work.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I'd pump the brakes on comparing Colvin to Ivey. Ivey could score from anywhere, had great handles and elite athleticism/body control. Colvin may have a nice jumper, but he hasn't shown the ability to get his own shot, get to the rim (despite having a nice vertical) or break down defenders. His ball handling needs a lot of work.
I think Colvin has better handles then you’re giving him credit for. I think we see full Myles Colvin on the court this year and he will display what he’s capable of. I think he played a team role last year that didn’t include being a top scorer and him seeking his own shots. Can’t wait to see what these guys bring this year and how they mesh together when it all unfolds.

Colvin wasn’t asked to do that last year, but he can get to the hole just fine. Jaden had to do all that he did his Frosh year cuz the team was no where near as good as last year.

But if that’s your opinion, that’s fine. But no offense, your opinion on players doesn’t have the best track record.

Not a single source of sports coverage I have seen has projected him as a starter this year and many scouting reports indicate he needs a year to bulk up as he is pretty raw. He was a late bloomer. If TKR would have played center there would be a chance and it sounds like first May play 4.
Brian from GBI just did their Saturday Simulcast yesterday and he sure sounded like he thought he was likely to start.

He doesn't need a year to bulk up when he has NBA level athleticism and shooting ability. I absolutely love Colvin, but he's better than Colvin at this point.

There's no way he wasn't playing 20+ minutes a game closer to 30. He would have been a 3-4 who could even play some 2. He would have started at some point in the season, probably pretty early based on talent. This isn't 1980s B10 where Frosh have to bulk up. He was never going to bulk up. His whole appeal is his athleticism and height and skill combo. You're not asking him to bang with anyone.

Reactions: seminolesboilers
Brian from GBI just did their Saturday Simulcast yesterday and he sure sounded like he thought he was likely to start.

He doesn't need a year to bulk up when he has NBA level athleticism and shooting ability. I absolutely love Colvin, but he's better than Colvin at this point.

There's no way he wasn't playing 20+ minutes a game closer to 30. He would have been a 3-4 who could even play some 2. He would have started at some point in the season, probably pretty early based on talent. This isn't 1980s B10 where Frosh have to bulk up. He was never going to bulk up. His whole appeal is his athleticism and height and skill combo. You're not asking him to bang with anyone.
If you meant freshman Colvin vs Catchings then yeah agreed. But if it’s at this point, I would like to see him vs Colvin…especially In the Purdue system at this point. I think it’d be a lot closer than you think.

While I really wish Catchings was playing for us and acknowledge he’s really good, I don’t think he was ever going to play 30 min a game…not with the pieces we had returning. If he were a top 10-15 Frosh, yeah, I’d agree. But we just saw a 5 star mbgako struggle for most of his Frosh season, so I’d pump the brakes on Catchings being that great all year. It’s been very tough on freshman the last few years to have a huge impact for their team. I think having the last year of 24-26 year olds (due to Covid year) would also add to the challenge for him. He would have also needed to actually play defense and that may have taken some time for him to figure it out…I know Ivey never really did figure out the Purdue way and he was still a top 5 pick, but that bit is a bit in the end.

I think if Catchings was to stay his 2nd year, he would have been reeaaallllly good for us and we would have been one of the early faves to win it all.

If you meant freshman Colvin vs Catchings then yeah agreed. But if it’s at this point, I would like to see him vs Colvin…especially In the Purdue system at this point. I think it’d be a lot closer than you think.

While I really wish Catchings was playing for us and acknowledge he’s really good, I don’t think he was ever going to play 30 min a game…not with the pieces we had returning. If he were a top 10-15 Frosh, yeah, I’d agree. But we just saw a 5 star mbgako struggle for most of his Frosh season, so I’d pump the brakes on Catchings being that great all year. It’s been very tough on freshman the last few years to have a huge impact for their team. I think having the last year of 24-26 year olds (due to Covid year) would also add to the challenge for him. He would have also needed to actually play defense and that may have taken some time for him to figure it out…I know Ivey never really did figure out the Purdue way and he was still a top 5 pick, but that bit is a bit in the end.

I think if Catchings was to stay his 2nd year, he would have been reeaaallllly good for us and we would have been one of the early faves to win it all.
He would have because of our roster construction. His ability to play 2-4 literally fills in every hole we have. It gives us maximum flexibility with the other players.
Even if you want to start Heide at 4, he can back up. Wanna start Colvin at 3, he can back up. Wanna go big at the 2, he can back up. Wanna start him at 3 or 4, now you can play Colvin and Heide anywhere from 2-3 or 3-4 respectively.

Heck in limited situations (end of game press for example) or last second shot on offense, you could have put him at the 5.

He would have instantly been our best go get a shot player. I'm sorry but that's 20+ minutes a game on versatility alone.

Now, was he leading us to a F4? Not likely. Would his attitude have caused team chemistry issues not worth it for a guy who doesn't appear to want to play more than a year of college basketball? Very likely. Which is why this may be a net positive long term.

But he was absolutely going to be 20+ close to 30 minutes a game player based solely on talent. Attitude of course can change things.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Uh that’s not what he said…. “More like a Myles Colvin role”… “Not stepping onto this team and starting”… “more of a complimentary role”….

Reactions: Roeder
Uh that’s not what he said…. “More like a Myles Colvin role”… “Not stepping onto this team and starting”… “more of a complimentary role”….
No one said he was starting from Day One but go on and listen to what Brian said about his role, his versatility and ability to get his own shot, to play the four.

No he most definitely was not going to just play a Myles Colvin role. He wasn't going to play a few minutes each half and average less than 9 minutes a game.

Playing him that little would have been absolutely coaching malpractice and that wasn't going to happen.

His OTE coach became assistant at BYU a few days ago…Catchings asked for his release on phone call with Painter…BYU offering big money 💰 to sign recruits…Head coach has fresh NBA ties.. less competition for early playing time and a bigger role…scheduled visit with BYU today… ( also tentatively to visit Florida State and TN, he won’t likely walk into immediate role at TN either)

Coincidence?

I truly don't believe K catch was passing Colvin, Camden or to circle our offense around an unproven kid.

You'll end up with a coach that'll get fired, program that will consistently suck and minimal tournament success.

We should be glad we have CMP, as zero kids are above a program and our coach makes that clear. Boiler up!

No one said he was starting from Day One but go on and listen to what Brian said about his role, his versatility and ability to get his own shot, to play the four.

No he most definitely was not going to just play a Myles Colvin role. He wasn't going to play a few minutes each half and average less than 9 minutes a game.

Playing him that little would have been absolutely coaching malpractice and that wasn't going to happen.
I just quoted what Brian said. Want me to post a link for you ?

He would have because of our roster construction. His ability to play 2-4 literally fills in every hole we have. It gives us maximum flexibility with the other players.
Even if you want to start Heide at 4, he can back up. Wanna start Colvin at 3, he can back up. Wanna go big at the 2, he can back up. Wanna start him at 3 or 4, now you can play Colvin and Heide anywhere from 2-3 or 3-4 respectively.

Heck in limited situations (end of game press for example) or last second shot on offense, you could have put him at the 5.

He would have instantly been our best go get a shot player. I'm sorry but that's 20+ minutes a game on versatility alone.

Now, was he leading us to a F4? Not likely. Would his attitude have caused team chemistry issues not worth it for a guy who doesn't appear to want to play more than a year of college basketball? Very likely. Which is why this may be a net positive long term.

But he was absolutely going to be 20+ close to 30 minutes a game player based solely on talent. Attitude of course can change things.
Just don’t think he was going to average 30 min a game…maybe he would have toward the end of the year but we will never know.

His OTE coach became assistant at BYU a few days ago…Catchings asked for his release on phone call with Painter…BYU offering big money 💰 to sign recruits…Head coach has fresh NBA ties.. less competition for early playing time and a bigger role…scheduled visit with BYU today… ( also tentatively to visit Florida State and TN, he won’t likely walk into immediate role at TN either)

Coincidence?
Got that Mormon church money! And byu or fsu make sense from a playing stand point…UT tho doesn’t make much sense to me there…Barnes makes em play defense and not sure he’d guarantee a starting spot but who knows…they’re desperate to get to a F4…which I understand as well haha

I just listened to it and he literally said he was not expected to start. Some of his sound bites
“Talented”, “high upside” “like Colvin”, “likely to contribute year 3 instead of year 1”, he “might be a great player.”

I watched the whole cast. He spent quite a lot of time talking about his role and it sure as heck wasn't describing having him come off the bench for four minutes a half like Colvin.
He compared his role to Colvins in the podcast. Said he would contribute more year 3 over year 1 or even 2.

I just listened to it and he literally said he was not expected to start. Some of his sound bites
“Talented”, “high upside” “like Colvin”, “likely to contribute year 3 instead of year 1”, he “might be a great player.”
I got a lot more than that because I listened to the entire broadcast, but anyone who thinks he wouldn't contribute until year 3 is engaging in copium including Brian. Some of his other soundbites included him talking about him playing the 3-4 and now your starter at the 4 is probably Heide to start. Which means that wasn't his thought for before. Because his thought was that it was possibly going to be Catchings because of course that was a real possibility.

He also talked about having more minutes for Colvin and Heide, because of course he was going to take minutes away from those two.

They talked about now Waddell possibly being needed because now we need to fill the holes there with what we have left. The point is he covered a lot of holes at a lot of positions and no that's not "like Colvin."

He's three inches taller than Colvin, he's more athletic than Colvin, he's more versatile than Colvin. Colvin is probably an equal shooter and at this point definitely a better defender (and I think quite clearly a better team player). Colvin isn't on anyone's 2025 first round NBA draft lists. Doesn't mean he can't get there, but the idea that there isn't a real talent differential there right now is something only a Purdue fan would argue. Catchings is. There's a reason for that and it's not because maybe he might contribute in year 3.

He sure as heck wasn't coming off the bench for four minutes a half like Colvin. Painter didn't sign him thinking he was staying here more than 2 years. It's quite clear he had no interest in that. So why would he sign that guy to sit on a bench for a year or two, play spot minutes and then leave for somewhere else?

We will see soon enough for BYU when he probably signs there. I bet he's not playing just 8 minutes a game.

He compared his role to Colvins in the podcast. Said he would contribute more year 3 over year 1 or even 2.
He said a lot of things that contradicted that and quite frankly the idea that he wouldn't be ready to contribute until year 3 is, at best, Purdue copium. He won't be in college in year 3.

I got a lot more than that because I listened to the entire broadcast, but anyone who thinks he wouldn't contribute until year 3 is engaging in copium including Brian. Some of his other soundbites included him talking about him playing the 3-4 and now your starter at the 4 is probably Heide to start. Which means that wasn't his thought for before. Because his thought was that it was possibly going to be Catchings because of course that was a real possibility.

He also talked about having more minutes for Colvin and Heide, because of course he was going to take minutes away from those two.

They talked about now Waddell possibly being needed because now we need to fill the holes there with what we have left. The point is he covered a lot of holes at a lot of positions and no that's not "like Colvin."

He's three inches taller than Colvin, he's more athletic than Colvin, he's more versatile than Colvin. Colvin is probably an equal shooter and at this point definitely a better defender (and I think quite clearly a better team player). Colvin isn't on anyone's 2025 first round NBA draft lists. Doesn't mean he can't get there, but the idea that there isn't a real talent differential there right now is something only a Purdue fan would argue. Catchings is. There's a reason for that and it's not because maybe he might contribute in year 3.

He sure as heck wasn't coming off the bench for four minutes a half like Colvin. Painter didn't sign him thinking he was staying here more than 2 years. It's quite clear he had no interest in that. So why would he sign that guy to sit on a bench for a year or two, play spot minutes and then leave for somewhere else?

We will see soon enough for BYU when he probably signs there. I bet he's not playing just 8 minutes a game.
I don’t disagree but you were taking some commentary to a podcast and surmising some narrative on this guy when reality is Brian already said earlier in the podcast he won’t start and said his role would be similar to Colvin. I agree he probably gets more minutes than Colvin but that’s far from an assumption he would start. Also he said earlier TKR could start at 4 and get more minutes at 4 with Jacobson looking so good. So, yes, you have to listen to the whole podcast, every comment is not an absolute.

He said a lot of things that contradicted that and quite frankly the idea that he wouldn't be ready to contribute until year 3 is, at best, Purdue copium. He won't be in college in year 3.
Yeah he also speculated at different times Heide and TKR would start at 4. It’s all speculation we won’t know until we know. But he did say catchings was not expected to start.

Painter must have promised Morton minutes…why not Catchings? 😉Painter for whatever reason had a man crush with Morton.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT