ADVERTISEMENT

Undefeated Purdue

We are also undefeated the last two seasons when we shoot 35%+ from 3….it was 18-0 last year but haven’t checked how many times we have shot over that this year but at NW we shot 26%.

Purdue - 3pt FG %

under 35% - Morehead State, Gonzaga, Tennessee, Northwestern, Iowa, Jacksonville, and Eastern Kentucky (6-1)

35% or better - Samford, Xavier, Marquette, Texas Southern, Alabama, Arizona, Maryland, and Illinois (8-0)

He also took exactly 10 shots in losses vs Northwestern and Rutgers last year and took 11 versus FDU. Took 7 in an overtime win at Nebraska. We only lost 6 games so I'm not sure it means much.

One interesting stat I came across while looking this up that may be relevant in the near term is that Zach only took 7 shots in both games against Nebreska last year. Other than the Florida A&M game, those were the fewest attempts he had in games last year.

This is exactly right! Games in which Edey has shot less than 10 shots this season.

Samford
Morehead St
Texas Southern
Jacksonville
Eastern Kentucky
Illinois

Other than the Illinois game, pretty meaningless stat this year.
Unfortunately people many times gravitate to meaningless links or relationships in all areas of life and then jump to an assumption that the relationship is causal. We all know that Purdue cannot force feed all game Zach. We all know that Purdue is set up to react to the defense and take what is given…fully aware that what is given at times may not be best for Purdue to take.

There is a balancing act where Purdue players don’t force the ball to Zach, but don’t play long stretches without him. Zach also needs to be mentally into the game early as well…getting to the line (drawing fouls) and hitting Fts. With the split second decisions that take place, it is easier said than done, but engagement of all is a need that all must be cognizant.

Sports stats Crack me up as they can spin facts to say/support any scenario.

For example, Purdue is undefeated since their inception in both football and men's basketball where more than 13% of the game was played, the team consisted of all males, and had a higher score at the end the game.

Or, they use facts so selective that only the team being highlighted meets the criteria.

For example, Purdue men's BB team has not lost a game in the last 17 months, when the starting center was taller than 7'3", the #2 shot above 31% on 3s, the #1 made 93% free-throw attempts, the #3 was black and had less than 2 turnovers, and the #4 made 2 3s in each half of a game.

Sports stats Crack me up as they can spin facts to say/support any scenario.

For example, Purdue is undefeated since their inception in both football and men's basketball where more than 13% of the game was played, the team consisted of all males, and had a higher score at the end the game.

Or, they use facts so selective that only the team being highlighted meets the criteria.

For example, Purdue men's BB team has not lost a game in the last 17 months, when the starting center was taller than 7'3", the #2 shot above 31% on 3s, the #1 made 93% free-throw attempts, the #3 was black and had less than 2 turnovers, and the #4 made 2 3s in each half of a game.
I think the stat where Purdue is 27-0 the last two years when shooing 35%+ from 3 is one that stands out that makes the team very difficult to beat.

Better balance, better speed, and better consistency all make Purdue a better team than last year.

I think the stat where Purdue is 27-0 the last two years when shooing 35%+ from 3 is one that stands out that makes the team very difficult to beat.
And I jinxed us and now we are 27-1. Hats off to Nebraska for shooting 61% from 3. That’s what it takes to beat us when we shoot 35%+ from 3.

Reactions: Ray1125
And I jinxed us and now we are 27-1. Hats off to Nebraska for shooting 61% from 3. That’s what it takes to beat us when we shoot 35%+ from 3.
It's amazing Nebraska was able to hit the shots, but I'm really concerned after Northwestern that we got beat from deep again. Perimeter defense is an opportunity. Nebraska deflected so many passes that became turnovers. Braden, Lance, and the guards collectively didn't move the ball like they normally do. I guess it happens.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
It's amazing Nebraska was able to hit the shots, but I'm really concerned after Northwestern that we got beat from deep again. Perimeter defense is an opportunity. Nebraska deflected so many passes that became turnovers. Braden, Lance, and the guards collectively didn't move the ball like they normally do. I guess it happens.
Well, when teams hit 50%-60% from 3 and make double digits, it can be tough to beat for any team, not just Purdue. Look at Stanford vs Arizona when they whooped Arizona by shooting 65%.

But how did you feel about the 14 wins? Not good enough? It seems it’s starting to become “National Championships or bust”, as nothing will be good enough unless that happens. Everyone freaking out we lost a second game…when the other team hit some incredible shots with hands in their face, fading to the right in the corner from 3 or double clutching and hitting a 3 with a hand in their face. Hell even their 26% shooter who is only good at giving effort hit a 3. Sometimes, that’s how basketball is.

We still hit 40% from 3 and fought back to get it within 1 at one point. Wouldn’t have happened last year. Hats off to Nebraska for hitting big shots. They will live and die by the 3…they shot 9% at home to Creighton and lost by 30. If they shoot their avg of 34%, we win by 5. Let’s see how they come out vs PSU and now they do down in BTown.

Reactions: Cthreepo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT