ADVERTISEMENT

Trayce Jackson-Davis

Sometimes family and friends are very influential in an athlete's decision. I know they were for my son. And sometimes the atmosphere of a place just doesn't sit well. I allowed our son to choose his college. Based on his grades, extracurricular activities, race, and ACT scores, he could have gone almost anywhere. He turned down Illinois and their Business and Accounting school because after attending Weber's basketball camp there, he felt the people that go there were too preppy and a bunch of millionaire's kids from Chicago suburbs that basically bought their way into school. He also hates rednecks which eliminated some other schools. He chose to go to the college where the majority of his friends went. My mother allowed me to choose Purdue over UW and Northwestern. So I allowed my son to choose his school.

as part of his recruiting process, he received phone calls and letters from coaches of Division 2 and 3 schools. He knew several coaches personally assisting at camps, etc. The one letter he liked the most was a hand written letter, rather than all the templated ones. He could have played Division 2 basketball. Instead, he chose to be with his friends and be a Division 1 track athlete. Purdue was in his top 5. His decathlon achievements this year would have placed him in the top half of the BIG 10 ahead of both IU and Purdue athletes. He made All Conference in the MVC. While not as hyped as the BIG 10, they had a team in the Final 4 this year. His track team is perennially in the Top 25 in track with several Olympic caliber athletes.

it's his life, and his decision. for better and worse . it's a life learning process. the same applies to Trayce Jackson Davis and all of us. How many of you chose the college you attended? and how many of you went to a college somebody else chose for you?

I welcome any athlete that chooses Purdue. I also respect their decision to go elsewhere.

I think we actually need more of this. Why don't we have tons of fans attending every one of these guys' games like they have down south? Why don't we have local businesses trying to get recruits like TJD to commit. Kids that age love that sort of attention. I agree with you that negative comments about a school shouldn't come from a random fan of a rival team, but I see no issue with filling up a high school gym with Black and Gold and chanting "Boiler Up!" every chance we get.

I would agree with this. I went to several Romeo games and the crowd would favor more IU gear than New Albany. Even OPPOSING student sections make this push

If your asking "in general", it's the factors that have been discussed before: larger instate fan base, facilities, deeper recruiting budgets, banners, school with same name as state, media attention, etc...

As for TJD specifically, I think some of the above apply. Also...He's in a VERY pro-IU area. He's got some (not all) family members pushing for IU...same with friends. While he will never play with him, he's very much an admirer of Romeo Langford.

Those are just some of the variables at play. It should be noted how well Painter has pushed PU to a solid spot in this recruitment. If not for IU, you could say PU would have been the leader for his services. We'll see if that pays off.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I think both of your points resonate for a lot of athletes in the state of Indiana. Many here don’t want to admit it, but in most cases (not all), Matt faces an uphill battle in recruiting Indiana kids against IU unless the athlete has a specific Purdue connection.

I don't often listen to Dakich but did yesterday as I was traveling to and from Indy. In Dan's defense he was very clear it was a rumor and most of his talk centered on wanting Indiana kids to stay in state.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If your asking "in general", it's the factors that have been discussed before: larger instate fan base, facilities, deeper recruiting budgets, banners, school with same name as state, media attention, etc...

As for TJD specifically, I think some of the above apply. Also...He's in a VERY pro-IU area. He's got some (not all) family members pushing for IU...same with friends. While he will never play with him, he's very much an admirer of Romeo Langford.

Those are just some of the variables at play. It should be noted how well Painter has pushed PU to a solid spot in this recruitment. If not for IU, you could say PU would have been the leader for his services. We'll see if that pays off.

Couldn’t it be argued that Duke faces more challenges in recruiting against UNC than Purdue does in recruiting again iu?
After all, UNC is the bigger, more glamorous state name school with NBA caliber facilities, an impressive list of alumni and banners to show?

Or does the fact the Duke has had as much success winning championships and final fours negate that perceived advantage?

Couldn’t it be argued that Duke faces more challenges in recruiting against UNC than Purdue does in recruiting again iu?
After all, UNC is the bigger, more glamorous state name school with NBA caliber facilities, an impressive list of alumni and banners to show?

Or does the fact the Duke has had as much success winning championships and final fours negate that perceived advantage?
I would say Duke in 1980 faced similar challenges as PU does....but then they hired the winningest coach in college basketball history and it kinda negated much of that other stuff and actually flipped some to their advantage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I think both of your points resonate for a lot of athletes in the state of Indiana. Many here don’t want to admit it, but in most cases (not all), Matt faces an uphill battle in recruiting Indiana kids against IU unless the athlete has a specific Purdue connection.
No problem. It is true that Matt faces an uphill climb that has little to do with him. Hell, even he grew up an IU fan, so I think he has a better insight into the challenges than most PU folks would be willing to consider.

I think one thing that has been of great benefit for PU the last 25 years has been them not having the most comfortable fits in coaching. You had a living legend that was in near retirement, replaced by a guy who found his level at Texas Southern, replaced by a cheater, replaced by a mildly unhinged carnival barker. Miller (so far) has run a tight, disciplined, and targeted approach to recruiting and he is well liked/respected by many in the coaching ranks (HS and AAU). IU, for the most part, can sell itself as a destination School as long as the guy in charge doesn't have "issues" constraining them. It will take a lot more winning by Purdue to negate/overcome a lot of those hurdles.

Just can't agree on facilities. I think the rest of your post is pretty accurate.
I like our facilities, but if you ask most independent folks in basketball circles, the folks down south tend to get rated pretty high on that scale...and I think they're doing a full revamp to their lockeroom as we speak.

Assembly hall is a dumpster. They should have torn it down and rebuilt. What they have done to it is like putting lipstick on a pig

No doubt Mackey is a better venue to watch basketball than Assembly Hall. But Assembly Hall has the tradition that matters so much even though that tradition is decades old. Winning a National Championship is what Painter needs to do.

No doubt Mackey is a better venue to watch basketball than Assembly Hall. But Assembly Hall has the tradition that matters so much even though that tradition is decades old. Winning a National Championship is what Painter needs to do.
I do prefer Mackey in terms of sight lines. AH has some Tiger-stadium-bad type of seats in places.

But indeed it's the tradition that tends to sell. Google "best arenas in the B10" and most of them have AH #1. Perception is reality, even if the reality is otherwise.

I haven't been there since the renovations, but I've heard it really addressed some of the glaring problems of the place, particularly the outdated concourse areas.

Also "facilities" is more than just the arena. I think Cook and Cuban $ has really made their other facilities pretty attractive.

I think that NC State is a better comparison than Duke. Duke has always been an elite private East Coast school. Coach K has had very few players from the state of North Carolina.

Yeah, he’s hard to read sometimes. He basically broke the Biggie to Purdue story, so he does have some sources.

Just lacks the ability or desire to vet them apparently.
I don't listen to his show much anymore because the guy is such an a-hole all the time (mostly for no reason, which is the part that bugs me the most). He does have some connections but he also hears a lot of slop too. One way I kind of trained myself to wade through his stuff to separate the total BS from might he might have good intel on is pay attention to how many times/days/whatever he brings it up.

If it's some flyby thing that he spends 90 seconds on and it doesn't get mentioned again (i.e. Trayce reclassifying), highly likely it's just some rumor he heard and isn't worth anything. Maybe even something he knows isn't true, but knows he'll get it rise out of his audience so he says it anyway. Whereas if it's something he repeats multiple times across different days and takes a stand on it (i.e. being an a-hole about it along the way, such as mocking Purdue fans calling in his show asking for clarification on his Biggie "done deal" comment), then it's far more likely he knows what he's talking about.

I would say Duke in 1980 faced similar challenges as PU does....but then they hired the winningest coach in college basketball history and it kinda negated much of that other stuff and actually flipped some to their advantage.

So, what your saying is that the main thing is the head coach? I happen to agree with this. Duke has proven that little else matters.

I disagree. No iu players were even born the last time iu won a NC. I don’t think kids care about tradition. They care about here and now and what can your program do for me.

I think we actually need more of this. Why don't we have tons of fans attending every one of these guys' games like they have down south? Why don't we have local businesses trying to get recruits like TJD to commit. Kids that age love that sort of attention. I agree with you that negative comments about a school shouldn't come from a random fan of a rival team, but I see no issue with filling up a high school gym with Black and Gold and chanting "Boiler Up!" every chance we get.
I do. Those games are not about the recruit. The other kids are just as important to that game.

Bet IU fans couldn’t name the other kids who played with Romeo.

So, what your saying is that the main thing is the head coach? I happen to agree with this. Duke has proven that little else matters.

Mostly, but finding a coach that wins enough to create their own tradition to point to counts. I think Duke still had incremental challenges getting some studs vs UNC in the late 80s...but once the NCAA titles started to roll in, they really started to be on equally footing year-to-year.

I disagree. No iu players were even born the last time iu won a NC. I don’t think kids care about tradition. They care about here and now and what can your program do for me.

I don't think it's so much the tradition DIRECTLY. You do still see recruits go to IU (basketball) and ND (football) and remark how impressive it was to see banners and trophies. Do I think kids choose schools because of that? Not really.

That said, I think programs with rich histories have many of those others benefits (rabid fan base, media attention, etc...) because of such winning, even if its decades old. Those other matters do matter to kids and do play an incremental part in their decisions.

Reactions: northside100
I do. Those games are not about the recruit. The other kids are just as important to that game.

Bet IU fans couldn’t name the other kids who played with Romeo.
You're right, they probably couldn't. I doubt the other players are upset about that. They got to play in packed gyms all year. They got the opportunity to showcase their skills on national tv that could lead to a scholarship offer.

The point is, we could make our presence known to recruits more often.

IU graduates docs and lawyers and teachers that stay in local towns. PU has much larger alumni groups in Austin, Houston, San Jose,,, even Phoenix. They don't stay in indiana. Farmers are not emotional cheerleaders. PU has never been a highly loved school in Indiana... it is what it is.

IU graduates docs and lawyers and teachers that stay in local towns. PU has much larger alumni groups in Austin, Houston, San Jose,,, even Phoenix. They don't stay in indiana. Farmers are not emotional cheerleaders. PU has never been a highly loved school in Indiana... it is what it is.
There are plenty of us still in the state.

There are plenty of us still in the state.
no there aren't. show me numbers. and passion, and money/power. Every single non-grad south of hwy 40 is a passionate IU asshole and makes sure their kids are too. Most teachers, most attorneys, most doctors ... who has power and influence/????

no there aren't. show me numbers. and passion, and money/power. Every single non-grad south of hwy 40 is a passionate IU asshole and makes sure their kids are too.
Why isnt everyone north of hwy 40 a passionate Purdue asshole? They can have the south. Why don't we have the North? You're telling me there aren't enough Purdue grads in Lafayette to fill up Mccutcheon when Phinisee was playing to put pressure on him to stay here? We have a big time fan base in north indy and fort Wayne. Why aren't we filling up Fort Wayne North's gym?

Your kids didnt grow up Purdue fans? Mine certainly will.

fk you - my daughter is a 4 year PU cheerleader, her husband a 3 year chearleader, my wife, PU masters, My son, PU grad, ...
Not sure why that set you off... you said the "ahole" IU fans make their kids grow up IU fans... turns out, most kids grow up liking the teams that their parents do.

Had a little too much too drink tonight?

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Not sure why that set you off... you said the "ahole" IU fans make their kids grow up IU fans... turns out, most kids grow up liking the teams that their parents do.

YOU accused my kids of not growing up PU fans ... your stupid accusation set me off as it was a blatant uninformed lie

Reactions: BBG

Do you have five PU grads in your immediate family???

Do you have five PU grads in your immediate family???
Actually, my parents, my brother, his wife, and my fiance are all Purdue grads... so... 6.

We all know your "?" was assumed to be a no ...
I'm not sure any other person on the board would have thought I was assuming that. In fact, I assumed they WERE Purdue fans, because almost all kids like the teams their parents do.

Take a deep breath... drink some water. It will be okay.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
You're right, they probably couldn't. I doubt the other players are upset about that. They got to play in packed gyms all year. They got the opportunity to showcase their skills on national tv that could lead to a scholarship offer.

The point is, we could make our presence known to recruits more often.
I would rather finish 14th

I live on the east coast and there are IU people EVERYWHERE out here in the NYC-NJ-Philly corridor. My IU friends say that a common joke question with a lot of classmates was "what exit are you from"? ....meaning what exit on the Jersey turnpike (exit 4 - Philly...exit 14....NYC, etc...). Not sure about out west, but I see IU bumper stickers all the time and many dinner conversations where I say I'm from Indiana and somebody says "my daughter/niece/cousin goes to/went to IU".

Not sure the reason for it...heard the music School grabs a lot of these kids and you invariably get some friends joining in the party scene.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Many Purdue grads in the Detroit area - auto engineering. Also many in the Pacific NW - Boing/Google/Microsoft, etc.

no there aren't. show me numbers. and passion, and money/power. Every single non-grad south of hwy 40 is a passionate IU asshole and makes sure their kids are too. Most teachers, most attorneys, most doctors ... who has power and influence/????
Not every single non-grad. I live 5 miles south of I-70 and i'm a life long Purdue fan.I work in Bloomington. My kids and grand kids all big Purdue fans.My grandsons kindergarten teacher has Purdue stuff all over the classroom wall. So not all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT