ADVERTISEMENT

Trayce Jackson-Davis

Why isnt everyone north of hwy 40 a passionate Purdue asshole? They can have the south. Why don't we have the North? You're telling me there aren't enough Purdue grads in Lafayette to fill up Mccutcheon when Phinisee was playing to put pressure on him to stay here? We have a big time fan base in north indy and fort Wayne. Why aren't we filling up Fort Wayne North's gym?

Your kids didnt grow up Purdue fans? Mine certainly will.
Filling up a high school gym doesn't work for most of the top 25 kids. It originally didn't work for RL but with the collapse of Louisville that became the turning point. He could've eliminated Duke but the writing was on the wall and he knew that the ball would be limited. It's almost odd that grown ups would fill up a high school gym to sway a kids choice.

Plain and simple, if we want in state recruits, we need to do a better job of making Purdue a desirable location. As it stands, most of you take the elitist stance of "Purdue fans are Purdue grads". That argument has never made sense to me. That means Purdue isn't reaching anyone who didn't go there.

I'm sure programs like Duke and UNC are fine taking money from non grads.

Many Purdue grads in the Detroit area - auto engineering. Also many in the Pacific NW - Boing/Google/Microsoft, etc.

There's actually quite a few in southern Indiana with Cummins. The biggest thing, they aren't annoying loud mouths like IU fans, and a lot of the loudest IU fans only connection to the school is they live in the state and the school has the state's name on it. Of course when I hear that reasoning, I always ask them how big of an Sycamore fan are they.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I once served on a state board in Indiana (late 80s) that was focused upon trying to find ways to encourage Purdue grads to stay in-state post graduation. The data was clear: the state spent a ton of money educating them and they promptly left for the West Coast, Texas, etc. The state found that this was more true of Purdue grads than IU grads - so the basic comments in this thread regarding the relative distribution of alums is true. If it wasn't, why did the state create a board to deal with a problem that they felt did not exist? That would make no sense. Every alum does not leave, but many, many do/did.

My view is that for a long time the Admin at Purdue did not feel it important to have a highly successful and visible Athletic Dept. It is my view that they feel the need to raise profiles now because they rely upon B1G money via tv rights, royalty fees, alum donations, etc. because the legislature is feeling budgetary heat and outside income is needed to fill the gap creating by more slowly growing funding.

Guys and gals, I have seen a ton of Purdue gear worn by all ages in the past two years everywhere I go in Indiana. And the amount out weighs the IU gear by about 2 to 1. It didn't used to be that way. I talk to these people and have learned that most are not Purdue grads, but are related to students and are happy about that. I think it is a trend. And a good one at that. This is not worth an argument, but acknowledgement. And what ever we are doing to foster this needs to continue with a smile.

Last edited:
I once served on a state board in Indiana (late 80s) that was focused upon trying to find ways to encourage Purdue grads to stay in-state post graduation. The data was clear: the state spent a ton of money educating them and they promptly left for the West Coast, Texas, etc. The state found that this was more true of Purdue grads than IU grads - so the basic comments in this thread regarding the relative distribution of alums is true. If it wasn't, why did the state create a board to deal with a problem that they felt did not exist? That would make no sense. Every alum does not leave, but many, many do/did.

My view is that for a long time the Admin at Purdue did not feel it important to have a highly successful and visible Athletic Dept. It is my view that they feel the need to raise profiles now because they rely upon B1G money via tv rights, royalty fees, alum donations, etc. because the legislature is feeling budgetary heat and outside income is needed to fill the gap creating by more slowly growing funding.
Since that time, Indy has become a hot spot for software/tech companies. Many Computer Science/Software Engineers are staying local now because of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHetfield99
Part of the problem that Purdue faces with respect to keeping graduates in-state (and with cultivating a larger fan base) stems from the large number of international students on campus. For the 2017-2018 academic year, Purdue enrolled 9133 international students (21.9% of total enrollment); for the undergraduate student body, 16% were international students (with China accounting for the largest number by a considerable margin). Purdue is third in the nation among public universities in international student enrollment, and second in the Big 10 (to Illinois). On one hand, international students are less likely than their American counterparts to attend athletic events during their time here, and thus less likely to form memories and loyalties that will make them athletics boosters (and contributors) once they've graduated. And, of course, once they return to their home countries, they are not likely to be in Ross-Ade on Saturday afternoons.
Now, another layer of the dynamic at work here is that international students pay a premium to attend. For 2017-2018, in-state tuition was $9,992; for international students that figure is $30,954 (out-of-state students pay $28,794). This is part of the reason that Purdue has been able to flat-line tuition for the last few years. Ten years ago (2007-2008), international student enrollment was just under 5,000 (compare that figure to 9133 for 2017-2018).
So, Purdue finds itself in something of a dilemma, at least with respect to keeping tuition costs relatively low, versus nurturing a larger fan base.

Do you go to Purdue games? You have no problems watching someone else's kids more than just Friday nights if so.
Yeah- I because WENT to Purdue. I didn’t go to Fort Wayne North or Center Grove. If you can’t understand that distinction, then I can’t help you.

Reactions: Heller

It's kind of a mixed bag though, you have to go where the job's are. So whether you want to leave the state or not, may not be a choice. Yes there are good engineering jobs in the state, but there are also only so many and it seems as companies have continually consolidated, a lot of those jobs have left the state and not been replaced. I know I've had to work hard at times to find jobs to stay in the state, the last round of layoffs, I was looking outside of the state some, but got lucky and found something in state again. Of course I also despise big cities, so finding jobs even out of state can be tough.

Mostly, but finding a coach that wins enough to create their own tradition to point to counts. I think Duke still had incremental challenges getting some studs vs UNC in the late 80s...but once the NCAA titles started to roll in, they really started to be on equally footing year-to-year.

I don't think it's so much the tradition DIRECTLY. You do still see recruits go to IU (basketball) and ND (football) and remark how impressive it was to see banners and trophies. Do I think kids choose schools because of that? Not really.

That said, I think programs with rich histories have many of those others benefits (rabid fan base, media attention, etc...) because of such winning, even if its decades old. Those other matters do matter to kids and do play an incremental part in their decisions.

So, I think the question has to be asked that much like old tradition, is there a perception of Purdue and Painter, whether accurate or not, that does not appeal to some 5* type players?
And I'm not talking about things like "Painter won't cheat" or "Painter won't make promises" because I think Coach K has as much integrity as anyone out there and he's proven to be incredibly successful (granted, he's an exception).
I'm talking about Painter (Purdue) being more defensively minded than offensively (which data shows, is not the case but likely the perception) and Painter not giving players the freedom to freelance and display their individual talents (again, disproven by both Edwards and Edwards). I think the biggest challenge to overcome is that Painter hasn't put many backcourt players in the pros and that happens to be the most important position on the court.

IU graduates docs and lawyers and teachers that stay in local towns. PU has much larger alumni groups in Austin, Houston, San Jose,,, even Phoenix. They don't stay in indiana. Farmers are not emotional cheerleaders. PU has never been a highly loved school in Indiana... it is what it is.
That's a weak excuse. Purdue graduates more students per year than iu and while it may be true that more iu grads stay in state, I don't think the numbers are substantially different (would be interesting to get a firm number though) so much so that they create a distinct advantage.
What I do think iu does better is to indoctrinate iu students early on and maybe that sticks with them after graduation. This is wise financially for the alumni associations as well as the athletic departments.
From the time a Purdue student gets their acceptance letter in high school, the school should be trying to build loyalty and pride in all things Purdue.

Part of the problem that Purdue faces with respect to keeping graduates in-state (and with cultivating a larger fan base) stems from the large number of international students on campus. For the 2017-2018 academic year, Purdue enrolled 9133 international students (21.9% of total enrollment); for the undergraduate student body, 16% were international students (with China accounting for the largest number by a considerable margin). Purdue is third in the nation among public universities in international student enrollment, and second in the Big 10 (to Illinois). On one hand, international students are less likely than their American counterparts to attend athletic events during their time here, and thus less likely to form memories and loyalties that will make them athletics boosters (and contributors) once they've graduated. And, of course, once they return to their home countries, they are not likely to be in Ross-Ade on Saturday afternoons.
Now, another layer of the dynamic at work here is that international students pay a premium to attend. For 2017-2018, in-state tuition was $9,992; for international students that figure is $30,954 (out-of-state students pay $28,794). This is part of the reason that Purdue has been able to flat-line tuition for the last few years. Ten years ago (2007-2008), international student enrollment was just under 5,000 (compare that figure to 9133 for 2017-2018).
So, Purdue finds itself in something of a dilemma, at least with respect to keeping tuition costs relatively low, versus nurturing a larger fan base.
dang that's some solid research and a really valuable contribution to this discussion. I think this holds a ton of merit.
I remember as an undergrad, on Sat mornings heading from breakfast club to the stadium, sometimes we'd cut through the union/library and since we had about 20 bowls of loud-mouth-soup in us, we'd be hazing the people in there studying for not getting to the stadium to support the team.
Immature? Yes, but that's what you do when you're 21.

Reactions: BCBtrio
dang that's some solid research and a really valuable contribution to this discussion. I think this holds a ton of merit.
I remember as an undergrad, on Sat mornings heading from breakfast club to the stadium, sometimes we'd cut through the union/library and since we had about 20 bowls of loud-mouth-soup in us, we'd be hazing the people in there studying for not getting to the stadium to support the team.
Immature? Yes, but that's what you do when you're 21.
What bar served soup during breakfast club?

So, I think the question has to be asked that much like old tradition, is there a perception of Purdue and Painter, whether accurate or not, that does not appeal to some 5* type players?
And I'm not talking about things like "Painter won't cheat" or "Painter won't make promises" because I think Coach K has as much integrity as anyone out there and he's proven to be incredibly successful (granted, he's an exception).
I'm talking about Painter (Purdue) being more defensively minded than offensively (which data shows, is not the case but likely the perception) and Painter not giving players the freedom to freelance and display their individual talents (again, disproven by both Edwards and Edwards). I think the biggest challenge to overcome is that Painter hasn't put many backcourt players in the pros and that happens to be the most important position on the court.
Coach K like Izzo is more myth than reality. How do Duke kids afford expensive cars and jewelry items if someone is not paying them?

Coach K like Izzo is more myth than reality. How do Duke kids afford expensive cars and jewelry items if someone is not paying them?
Which Duke players have expensive cars? Jewelry could be fake. Perhaps those players come from families that can afford to pay for a car.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not saying this is the case with what you are alleging, but can't NCAA athletes take out personal loans against their future earnings? I believe they can while remaining eligible.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Which Duke players have expensive cars? Jewelry could be fake. Perhaps those players come from families that can afford to pay for a car.
Yea, I mean Marvin Bagley's family live in a very nice house. I'm sure they could afford nice cars :).

I believe when it comes to recruiting elite athletes, an elite athlete said it best when he was talking about his final 4 choices. he basically said Purdue is a great program and you know what you're getting.

You could take that for good and bad. recruits already know about Painter and Purdue before they ever visit. you could say their minds are already made up. for better and worse, Purdue and Painter are the benchmark a recruit compares other schools against. I've seen Painter identify and offer some of the best talent in the nation. However, I've also seen those same players drop Purdue very early in their recruiting process. for many of them, Purdue is the bird in the hand. if they find something they like better, they go for it.

Another part of the problem is if elite players know what Painter and Purdue offer, you can bet other coaches do as well. they can ask what do you like about Purdue, and then state we also can offer that and we can throw in a couple extra things as well. I have the utmost respect for Alford and UCLA as running a clean program. And I have to believe he runs a similar program on the same level as Painter. I also have to believe UCLA offers a few things off the court that Purdue could never offer - like visiting Disney World, or taking in a Dodgers game. And UCLA doesn't even have to give those things under the table or cheat. The fact a player could go to Disneyland any day they want has to be considered a factor.

As for Trayce, what does IU offer that Purdue doesn't? A music school with actual concerts and recitals? better pizza? Brown County Park? newer dorms/apartments? a nearby lake?

My wife grew up in West Lafayette and owns degrees from both Purdue and IU. Bloomington isn't a dump or bad place. Not all of the houses are single wides. It does have some redeeming qualities. As for which coach a player would want to play for, see my previous paragraphs.

For better and worse, Painter and Purdue are a constant benchmark that don't change very much. Painter is going to have almost an entirely new starting line-up. my bet is he'll continue playing man to man defense and his motion offense with 3 guards. because he's Painter, and that's what he does.

Nope. Coach K had a player go to a jewelry store and buy some outrageous amount of jewelry. He wasn't from a wealthy family. I've quoted this before but after the late Jerry Tarkanian won his lawsuit against the NCAA for essentially targeting him while turning a blind eye to the bigger programs like Duke and of course UNC said, "clean programs are the ones in last place". Anyway, if you google it Hunk I think you will still find reference to the jewelry scandal.

Nope. Coach K had a player go to a jewelry store and buy some outrageous amount of jewelry. He wasn't from a wealthy family. I've quoted this before but after the late Jerry Tarkanian won his lawsuit against the NCAA for essentially targeting him while turning a blind eye to the bigger programs like Duke and of course UNC said, "clean programs are the ones in last place". Anyway, if you google it Hunk I think you will still find reference to the jewelry scandal.

Parents can take out loans. As a parent of a college student and athlete, I constantly receive notifications from respected financial institutions like Discover and VISA offering me the opportunity to accept their loans to help pay for m y son's college education. . I would imagine parents of more famous athletes than mine would probably receive a lot better and even more legitimate financial offers, and some illegitimate ones as well.

As far as vehicles go, my son drives a 2008 Camry. he had a 2001 Acura. there are a lot of cars on EBAY and CARS.com that are older models that look new and are very nice cars and can be purchased legitimately.

Parents can take out loans. As a parent of a college student and athlete, I constantly receive notifications from respected financial institutions like Discover and VISA offering me the opportunity to accept their loans to help pay for m y son's college education. . I would imagine parents of more famous athletes than mine would probably receive a lot better and even more legitimate financial offers, and some illegitimate ones as well.

As far as vehicles go, my son drives a 2008 Camry. he had a 2001 Acura. there are a lot of cars on EBAY and CARS.com that are older models that look new and are very nice cars and can be purchased legitimately.
If I remember correctly, Cline was driving a rather nice Lexus during his incident...

It was $100,000 worth of jewelry and the player was sued by the jeweler when he still was in college for not paying the remaining 60,000 or so he owed. That kid didn't have that kind of money and no,rich parent would let their kid get sued. The only reason it wasn't NCAA investigated is the jeweler wasn't considered a booster and the lawsuit was settled. Both parties declined to discuss it with the NCAA. Look if you want to believe Coach K is clean nothing I say will changed your mind. I know he isn't squeaky clean and here is another you won't like but neither was Bob Knight. What I do know though is that both of,them definitely cared about their kids being educated and earning a degree which I won't say about a lot of coaches.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
It was $100,000 worth of jewelry and the player was sued by the jeweler when he still was in college for not paying the remaining 60,000 or so he owed. That kid didn't have that kind of money and no,rich parent would let their kid get sued. The only reason it wasn't NCAA investigated is the jeweler wasn't considered a booster and the lawsuit was settled. Both parties declined to discuss it with the NCAA. Look if you want to believe Coach K is clean nothing I say will changed your mind. I know he isn't squeaky clean and here is another you won't like but neither was Bob Knight. What I do know though is that both of,them definitely cared about their kids being educated and earning a degree which I won't say about a lot of coaches.

I've read the same story. What you are saying is the truth. What did you expect Coach K to do ? Did the player break any Duke rules? Should Coach k have enforced the rules and suspended the player? Should Duke University? or should the NCAA have lowered the hammer? Louisville fired Pitino for something somebody else did. How much should a coach be held responsible for something people underneath him do?

many military commanders are fired for taking responsibility for things they had no control over. but in reality, those commanders are not really fired. rather, they are reassigned to a different position that's less visible to the public eye.

We have some schools who would have acted immediately, while others suspend a player for 3 minutes of a meaningless game. it appears ethics are subjective.

Look at our society. it would be nice if people in places of great authority and responsibility didn't lie, or at least when the facts proved they did lie, they'd come clean and actually admit it or if we send somebody to jail, they actually stay there rather than being let out as a favor to a friend. I don't see that person quitting his job any time soon.

Last edited:
Lol I'd gladly take Coach K at Purdue right now, and I would have no fear about him getting into trouble.

He could shoot a referee and not get into trouble.
I feel like he may get in trouble for that... By the way, I noticed you ignored my comment about athletes being able to take out credit against their future earnings. Sounds like the jewelry store issued the player in question credit. The player ended up defaulting, but based on the NCAA rules, the transaction might have actually been legit.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I painted

Lol and bring along his endless parade of one and dones. How about Calipari, would you take him too?

At least Calipari is a n honest snake oil salesman. he says upfront, his job and role is to teach basketball. And once his players have proved they can play at an NBA level, he graduates them.

isn't the point of going to college to get a job. if somebody offered you an engineering job after 1 year, that pays $4 million a year, would you stay in college 3 more years?

In regards to the one and dones, YES, bring them on! I'd gladly take a team full of them year in and year out.
Not me . I want to get to know the players a little longer than that . 1 or 2 once in a while wouldn't be bad , but year after year not for me.

isn't the point of going to college to get a job. if somebody offered yo u an engineering jo b after 1 year, that pays $4 million a year, would you stay in college 3 more years?
I guess there's a place for it . But if Purdue started landing 1 & dones year after year I would probably just find a pro team to root for .

I feel like he may get in trouble for that... By the way, I noticed you ignored my comment about athletes being able to take out credit against their future earnings. Sounds like the jewelry store issued the player in question credit. The player ended up defaulting, but based on the NCAA rules, the transaction might have actually been legit.
I didn't ignore your comment. Where did a college kid get the 30 to 40 thousand he put down to begin with? I didn't think I needed to say see Spot, see Spot run but then you are a IU fan clowning the free website of your rival so I should expect to have to start at the beginning.

I didn't ignore your comment. Where did a college kid get the 30 to 40 thousand he put down to begin with? I didn't think I needed to say see Spot, see Spot run but then you are a IU fan clowning the free website of your rival so I should expect to have to start at the beginning.
Obviously from another loan... I didnt say that's what happened, I said that's what could have happened.

Also classic response. I point out a loop hole in your "Other teams are doing things dirty" argument and then suddenly I'm an IU troll again.

Have a nice day, Sheriff.

Obviously from another loan... I didnt say that's what happened, I said that's what could have happened.

Also classic response. I point out a loop hole in your "Other teams are doing things dirty" argument and then suddenly I'm an IU troll again.

Have a nice day, Sheriff.
What loophole did you find? Yeah, banks are lining up to give 40000 unsecured loans to college kids. Go back to Bloomington.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT