ADVERTISEMENT

Trayce Jackson-Davis

Purdue just didn't license merchandise like the other schools did, and that they never got Purdue gear because they were so tight with the licensing of merchandise.

This is something I complained about before and believe this is a killer to the "brand".

A few years ago, Stadium Pants were pretty big with all the southern schools. These were chinos covered with the school logo. Well one day they had Purdue pants for sale and I ordered them. I got an email a day later telling me that Purdue had rejected their licensing agreement. Well technically they didn't have one but every other school agreed to it so quickly they didn't anticipate Purdue saying no.

TL/DR: Purdue sucks at marketing themselves

I will say I've been fairly disappointed in Purdue marketing itself. Because of my college days, I try to give my business to somebody not named Follett. I can't believe Purdue Spirit closed. I'm disappointed there was not a Purdue store in the Lafayette Mall (the last time I visited) The Walmart in West Lafayette has a nice area of Purdue stuff, but the other Walmarts in the Lafayette area do not. Meyers is NOT a place to loo k for Purdue stuff. I followed my son this year to track meets in Iowa, St louis, Nashville, Knoxville, Bloomington, Indianapolis, Evansville, Terre Haute, and Louisville, and none of their national chain sports stores in malls carry any Purdue merchandise. I could find Michigan, OSU, ND and some UW, IU and Penn St and IU, but zero stuff with Purdue labels. To make the Purdue polo shirt I wanted, I had to buy a normal shirt and then have the logo stamped on top of it. I can buy a Pittsburgh Pirates hat and say it's Purdue. it's rather disappointing that the only place I can find decent Purdue stuff is basically on campus at Purdue, and the lone vender is becoming Follett's.

They are if the person in question has massive future earnings. I have a friend that was able to get a 10k loan his last year in dental school with no down payment. That's with future earnings around 300k/yr.... what could a guy with 15 million/yr get?

See, if the person won't be able to pay anything but minimum payments on the loan for a couple of years, that means the bank is getting a ton of interest. Turns out, that's how they make their money....
This guy is growing on me

I guess there's a place for it . But if Purdue started landing 1 & dones year after year I would probably just find a pro team to root for .

I'm calling BS on this. If PU started landing 1 n dones and started making deep tourney runs, you'd love it and be buying Purdue gear left and right.
Nobody cares about graduation rates. People care about winning. That's why college coaches are the highest paid government employees in most states. They're paid to win.

4182902.jpg

Better be careful...some of the snowflakes on here will think you're making a racial comment.

'm calling BS on this. If PU started landing 1 n dones and started making deep tourney runs, you'd love it and be buying Purdue gear left and right.
You got me wrong .I wouldn't mind a few 1 and dones. For the most part, I like to get to know the players a little longer than 1 year. That's why I stated that I would probably find a pro team. At least most of the players are around longer than 1 year.

You got me wrong .I wouldn't mind a few 1 and dones. For the most part, I like to get to know the players a little longer than 1 year. That's why I stated that I would probably find a pro team. At least most of the players are around longer than 1 year.

Yeh, but I think it's a little disingenuous to claim that you'd be willing to sacrifice 5*, 1 n done talent for players that stick around and 'develop'.
No Purdue fan would ever trade Big Dog's 2 years or Biggie's 2 years for any player that sticks around 4 years. If Painter were able to turn Purdue into the next Kentucky (while still running a clean program) and just pump out NBA talent with 1 and 2 year players while also making Final Fours runs regularly, we'd be renaming Mackey Arena after him. We wouldn't give a rip how long players are in the program as long as the program is playing into early April.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Yeh, but I think it's a little disingenuous to claim that you'd be willing to sacrifice 5*, 1 n done talent for players that stick around and 'develop'.
No Purdue fan would ever trade Big Dog's 2 years or Biggie's 2 years for any player that sticks around 4 years. If Painter were able to turn Purdue into the next Kentucky (while still running a clean program) and just pump out NBA talent with 1 and 2 year players while also making Final Fours runs regularly, we'd be renaming Mackey Arena after him. We wouldn't give a rip how long players are in the program as long as the program is playing into early April.

I’d argue that if Carsen stays four years you’d be crazy not to be willing to trade Biggie’s two years for his four. That might even be true if Carsen only stays three years.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Two year players are not 1 and dones. If they are as good as the players you mentioned ,then I am satisfied with 2yrs.

Two year players are not 1 and dones. If they are as good as the players you mentioned ,then I am satisfied with 2yrs.
Well Big Dog would've been a 1 and done. Who cares we would love them either way. They would be Boilers and that in itself is Legendary!!

When Painter recruited biggie, he did so knowing he could be a one and done player. That's what he was hyped up to be. the fact he stayed 2 years does not mean Painter recruited him thinking he'd be a 2-4 year player.

The same case could be made for JJJ and Langford. painter recruited both players knowing they would likely be one and done. he didn't back off recruiting JJJ until he signed with MSU. And he only backed off Langford whe n Langford said he had n o interest in Purdue. Bazley was another one and done player painter tried to recruit to play at Purdue.

So that's 4 players in the last 4 years Painter has recruited that he thought would be one and done players. it's rather obvious Painter is going after the elite one and done players. So maybe we'll see more in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT