ADVERTISEMENT

Trayce Jackson-Davis

What loophole did you find? Yeah, banks are lining up to give 40000 unsecured loans to college kids. Go back to Bloomington.
They are if the person in question has massive future earnings. I have a friend that was able to get a 10k loan his last year in dental school with no down payment. That's with future earnings around 300k/yr.... what could a guy with 15 million/yr get?

See, if the person won't be able to pay anything but minimum payments on the loan for a couple of years, that means the bank is getting a ton of interest. Turns out, that's how they make their money....

Reactions: Gemini95
They are if the person in question has massive future earnings. I have a friend that was able to get a 10k loan his last year in dental school with no down payment. That's with future earnings around 300k/yr.... what could a guy with 15 million/yr get?

See, if the person won't be able to pay anything but minimum payments on the loan for a couple of years, that means the bank is getting a ton of interest. Turns out, that's how they make their money....
Your dreaming. Dental students in their last year of dental school won't lose their income if they blow out a knee. And no NBA rookie earns 15 million a year save LeBron types with endorsements.

I guess there's a place for it . But if Purdue started landing 1 & dones year after year I would probably just find a pro team to root for .

I can agree with that. but for teams like Louisville and UK, that IS their pro team, and their fans treat it like a PRO team, and they expect to WIN every year rather than expect the players to actually go to classes. They follow their teams year to year rather than follow the progress of their players. I'd bet a UK fan doesn't even remember the starters from their 2016-17 team. it was much the same way when I lived in Alabama. Alabama IS their pro team. I found it interesting that very few people in Alabama rooted for the nearby PRO teams in New Orleans or Atlanta. All they wanted to do was ROLL TIDE !!

Obviously from another loan... I didnt say that's what happened, I said that's what could have happened.

Also classic response. I point out a loop hole in your "Other teams are doing things dirty" argument and then suddenly I'm an IU troll again.

Have a nice day, Sheriff.
No way! I took out a loan last year to buy a piece of land. After showing the institution proof that I was 100% good for it (cash on hand more than enough to cover the loan) it took about six weeks, a shit load of paper work and what felt like congress's approval, I got the loan.

If there is someone out there giving out loans to basketball players that may or may not make money down the road, they are not a legit lending institution. Whoever is giving the "wink" "wink" cash wants something in return.

This can't be remotely true. Liquidated assets could get you that but not with potential liquid assets.

No way! I took out a loan last year to buy a piece of land. After showing the institution proof that I was 100% good for it (cash on hand more than enough to cover the loan) it took about six weeks, a shit load of paper work and what felt like congress's approval, I got the loan.

If there is someone out there giving out loans to basketball players that may or may not make money down the road, they are not a legit lending institution. Whoever is giving the "wink" "wink" cash wants something in return.
When did you graduate, and what was your major?

I know a track star who was competing for the Olympics that was receiving money in addition to his athletic scholarship. there are a lot of Olympic athletes that receive similar amounts of money. I don't know the exact amount he receives. But enough to buy a nice house while being a student. Should I report him? Should I report all the other Olympic track athletes receiving money from outside sources ?

hey - they're getting paid. they're violating NCAA rules. the NCAA doesn't care and is taking no action. the FBI gave names out and very little action was taken. Why should we care if schools run a dirty or clean program? it's simple - they're getting paid, and we're not. Should athletes be paid more than teachers, police and our military? life isn't fair. Deal with it!

What? 1995 BS in management.
See, I believe that's the difference for two parts.

1. (I'm sure you did very well for yourself, so don't take offense to this generalization). While a BS in Management can be very valuable (maybe even higher ceiling than a Dentist), a bank will value the Dentist more. Giving it to a Dental student (#1 in his class, with a full ride, so no other debt), is less risky.

2. (This is the big argument). The situation I'm talking about occurred in 2013. Today, it takes 20 minutes to go online, and receive loan offers from 20 different lending companies that are all competing for your business. Back in 1995 I'm assuming you had to physically go to the lending agency. This meant you were less likely to shop around. Lenders have to be more aggressive today due to competition.

1. (I'm sure you did very well for yourself, so don't take offense to this generalization). While a BS in Management can be very valuable (maybe even higher ceiling than a Dentist), a bank will value the Dentist more. Giving it to a Dental student (#1 in his class, with a full ride, so no other debt), is less risky.

2. (This is the big argument). The situation I'm talking about occurred in 2013. Today, it takes 20 minutes to go online, and receive loan offers from 20 different lending companies that are all competing for your business. Back in 1995 I'm assuming you had to physically go to the lending agency. This meant you were less likely to shop around. Lenders have to be more aggressive today due to competition.
Yes because writing crappy unsecured or poorly secured loans to college kids did so well that the whole industry was close to collapse just a few years ago. That worked so well the last time banks are doing it again. You are one funny guy or clueless to the max.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Some do. Not all. You are challenged enough and I'm done with this because all you want to do is argue.
4182902.jpg

Yes because writing crappy unsecured or poorly secured loans to college kids did so well that the whole industry was close to collapse just a few years ago. That worked so well the last time banks are doing it again. You are one funny guy or clueless to the max.
Please show me where I agreed with it... I simply said it happens. I like the effort, but you will have to try a little harder...

Filling up a high school gym doesn't work for most of the top 25 kids. It originally didn't work for RL but with the collapse of Louisville that became the turning point. He could've eliminated Duke but the writing was on the wall and he knew that the ball would be limited. It's almost odd that grown ups would fill up a high school gym to sway a kids choice.
It's not grown ups. A lot of them had a lot of passion for the team. Many of them just happened to be IU fans. Tons of kids in the area idolized him. It's why he was signing autographs an hour after the game.

Are you that stuffed animal I see on TV every once in a while? 1) my situation was last year. 2) this was a home equity line of credit, meaning I had way more equity in the home than I was asking for. 3) cash on hand and investments are a mutable of 10 of what I was asking for and it was still a pain in the ass.

If you can get a loan on what you might make in coming years, I guess I was shopping in the wrong place.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Are you that stuffed animal I see on TV every once in a while? 1) my situation was last year. 2) this was a home equity line of credit, meaning I had way more equity in the home than I was asking for. 3) cash on hand and investments are a mutable of 10 of what I was asking for and it was still a pain in the ass.

If you can get a loan on what you might make in coming years, I guess I was shopping in the wrong place.
Didn't see the last year part, my bad haha. Either way, how the hell did it take 6 months to get approved? If you just Google home equity loans, you will be able to find 20 lenders that will have the money in your account by the end of the week. (Assuming your finances are what you say they are, and I believe they are).

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/14/...ron-james-s-suv-prompts-an-investigation.html

Lebron James lived in public housing in Akron and his mother got a $50k Hummer for him in high school. Quote below.

James and his mother live in public housing in Akron, Ohio. Asked how she could secure such a loan, a person with knowledge of the family's situation who spoke on condition of anonymity said, ''LeBron James is collateral enough.''

Reactions: BoilerIron
Didn't see the last year part, my bad haha. Either way, how the hell did it take 6 months to get approved? If you just Google home equity loans, you will be able to find 20 lenders that will have the money in your account by the end of the week. (Assuming your finances are what you say they are, and I believe they are).
If I wrote 6 months it was a mistake. Total processing time was 6 weeks. My point is adds say one thing reality is a little different. The only reason I brought it up was in my mind it was a slam dunk. Thought I would have the money in a few days. Not what I experienced.

If I wrote 6 months it was a mistake. Total processing time was 6 weeks. My point is adds say one thing reality is a little different. The only reason I brought it up was in my mind it was a slam dunk. Thought I would have the money in a few days. Not what I experienced.
In my experience, it has been different, but that's neither here nor there. (Side note, you might have wrote 6 weeks, my reading comprehension isn't great right now *waits for "that's because you're and IU fan" post*).

Have a good one!

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/14/...ron-james-s-suv-prompts-an-investigation.html

Lebron James lived in public housing in Akron and his mother got a $50k Hummer for him in high school. Quote below.

James and his mother live in public housing in Akron, Ohio. Asked how she could secure such a loan, a person with knowledge of the family's situation who spoke on condition of anonymity said, ''LeBron James is collateral enough.''
I am not saying it doesn't happen. Chase did not give her the money. My guess local (non public) bank. I have a relative that owns a bank in southern IL that gave me a farmers note when I was young. as long as I paid the interest I was in good standing. the loan amount did not have to paid down. I paid the whole loan off in about a year but now realize if the owner of the small bank did not know me it probably would not have happened.

I am not saying it doesn't happen. Chase did not give her the money. My guess local (non public) bank. I have a relative that owns a bank in southern IL that gave me a farmers note when I was young. as long as I paid the interest I was in good standing. the loan amount did not have to paid down. I paid the whole loan off in about a year but now realize if the owner of the small bank did not know me it probably would not have happened.
For sure it was a "local" bank and I am sure they knew they would get the money back and he probably did some advertising etc.

Side note - do you still live in Mandeville? If yes, is Liz's Where Y'at still open?

For sure it was a "local" bank and I am sure they knew they would get the money back and he probably did some advertising etc.

Side note - do you still live in Mandeville? If yes, is Liz's Where Y'at still open?
yes, love it here. Liz's is still here and as popular as ever. The place is slammed just about every day. I have never wanted to own a restaurant but Liz's is one I would love to own.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
If I remember correctly, Cline was driving a rather nice Lexus during his incident...
He is also from Carmel. Not sure if you've ever been through there but I dated a girl from Carmel in college. Let's just say I felt real out of place rolling through million dollar house neighborhoods in my 98' neon.

yes, love it here. Liz's is still here and as popular as ever. The place is slammed just about every day. I have never wanted to own a restaurant but Liz's is one I would love to own.
I lived in New Orleans near City Park back in 11-12 while working on a project for Chevron. I don't miss the drive across lake Pontchartrain every day but certainly miss the food. That and every woman calling me honey.

I lived in New Orleans near City Park back in 11-12 while working on a project for Chevron. I don't miss the drive across lake Pontchartrain every day but certainly miss the food. That and every woman calling me honey.
I have been here for 10 years now (sounds funny saying that) so some of the new has worn off. I remember not knowing what to think when the lady at the gas station was calling you sweat affectionate names. I live in one of the newer subdivisions that a lot of Chevron people lived in as well. When the oil crash hit every other hose was for sale.

That's a weak excuse. Purdue graduates more students per year than iu and while it may be true that more iu grads stay in state, I don't think the numbers are substantially different (would be interesting to get a firm number though) so much so that they create a distinct advantage.
What I do think iu does better is to indoctrinate iu students early on and maybe that sticks with them after graduation. This is wise financially for the alumni associations as well as the athletic departments.
From the time a Purdue student gets their acceptance letter in high school, the school should be trying to build loyalty and pride in all things Purdue.
It may be a weak excuse, but then you create excellent solutions to it. I love your solutions... but why are they great if they address a weak exuse?

I will repeat. you can go to ebay and find some great deals on cars. the catch is they are usually 5-6 years old. However, a 5 year old Lexus looks and runs like new.

I will repeat. you can go to ebay and find some great deals on cars. the catch is they are usually 5-6 years old. However, a 5 year old Lexus looks and runs like new.

There are some good deals out there. And......for those who do not need to insist on a new vehicle (but still want a little more guaranty than what might be offered on eBay), there are also some excellent Certified Pre-Owned Programs out there (Lexus, Volvo, Toyota, and Honda to name a few)....inventory moves rather quickly, and they also usually come with.....minimum 84-month/100,000 miles on the power-train and at least 12 months/12,000 miles bumper-to-bumper. Some of these are former leased vehicles or rentals, and there are usually a wide selection of mileage ranges. Colors and particular models may be somewhat limited in your area, but a lot of the initial background work and choices can be narrowed down on-line.

"Now....what do I need to do to put you in one of these beauties today."

70b021b7-9e47-49de-8e72-2180a89c1ea2_screenshot.jpg

They may have been saying pay me the money and not honey. Lol!

He is also from Carmel. Not sure if you've ever been through there but I dated a girl from Carmel in college. Let's just say I felt real out of place rolling through million dollar house neighborhoods in my 98' neon.
I work at a software company in Carmel haha.

Plain and simple, if we want in state recruits, we need to do a better job of making Purdue a desirable location. As it stands, most of you take the elitist stance of "Purdue fans are Purdue grads". That argument has never made sense to me. That means Purdue isn't reaching anyone who didn't go there.

I'm sure programs like Duke and UNC are fine taking money from non grads.

I don't understand why Purdue alum have to rip on fellow Purdue alum so often.

Dude, there was all kinds of crap going on with his mother when he was in HS.

She was a special kind of something, and she clearly recognized the gravy train. that's all I have to say about that. . . . . . .

I used to have the GM Truck plant in Shreveport and go so addicted to Cajun food.....and for anyone who needs a fix of Jambalaya, visit Zydeco's in Mooresville, Ind. Authentic as it gets and it's like being in Louisiana again.

Only thing ;missing is the tables with the holes and the five pound buckets of mud bugs poured onto the newspapers.

I used to have the GM Truck plant in Shreveport and go so addicted to Cajun food.....and for anyone who needs a fix of Jambalaya, visit Zydeco's in Mooresville, Ind. Authentic as it gets and it's like being in Louisiana again.

Only thing ;missing is the tables with the holes and the five pound buckets of mud bugs poured onto the newspapers.
Love me some crawfish.

I believe when it comes to recruiting elite athletes, an elite athlete said it best when he was talking about his final 4 choices. he basically said Purdue is a great program and you know what you're getting.

You could take that for good and bad. recruits already know about Painter and Purdue before they ever visit. you could say their minds are already made up. for better and worse, Purdue and Painter are the benchmark a recruit compares other schools against. I've seen Painter identify and offer some of the best talent in the nation. However, I've also seen those same players drop Purdue very early in their recruiting process. for many of them, Purdue is the bird in the hand. if they find something they like better, they go for it.

Another part of the problem is if elite players know what Painter and Purdue offer, you can bet other coaches do as well. they can ask what do you like about Purdue, and then state we also can offer that and we can throw in a couple extra things as well. I have the utmost respect for Alford and UCLA as running a clean program. And I have to believe he runs a similar program on the same level as Painter. I also have to believe UCLA offers a few things off the court that Purdue could never offer - like visiting Disney World, or taking in a Dodgers game. And UCLA doesn't even have to give those things under the table or cheat. The fact a player could go to Disneyland any day they want has to be considered a factor.

As for Trayce, what does IU offer that Purdue doesn't? A music school with actual concerts and recitals? better pizza? Brown County Park? newer dorms/apartments? a nearby lake?

My wife grew up in West Lafayette and owns degrees from both Purdue and IU. Bloomington isn't a dump or bad place. Not all of the houses are single wides. It does have some redeeming qualities. As for which coach a player would want to play for, see my previous paragraphs.

For better and worse, Painter and Purdue are a constant benchmark that don't change very much. Painter is going to have almost an entirely new starting line-up. my bet is he'll continue playing man to man defense and his motion offense with 3 guards. because he's Painter, and that's what he does.

Just to try to hijack this thread back to the original hijack'ed thread topic:

I believe that there is another factor involved, that helps Indiana silently recruit/expand their fan base, that Purdue fails miserably at: Overall school marketing.

I live in a town that is 20 miles from Purdue. When I was attending Purdue, I was considered a townie, because I lived, worked, and socialized at home, and didn't stay on campus 24/7.

Now, even in this small town (still considered within "the Greater Lafayette Area"), we get flooded with the IU brand all the time.

First, we've got the Logo everywhere: IU Health is a big one. A lot of you will say it doesn't make a difference, but I disagree. Not having actual figures, I'd say between 50-60 of all doctors offices locally have that huge IU badge out there on the front of their buildings touting IU. Can't do much to fight it, but it is what it is.

Secondly, even in this little burg that I live, the local and national stores all carry IU merchandise. The local grocery store has specially labeled IU candy bars, the local Dollar General has a whole section of IU gear in their clothing section.
I used to manage the CVS Pharmacy in that same small town, and every year, in the "back to school" sets, we'd have at least one display of college merchandise, with everything from hats, scarves, pens & pencils, pennants, stickers, post-it notes etc., and ever year the same crap: 80% IU; 19% Notre Dame, and like maybe one item that had a motion P on it.
The "Big R" farm store even sold IU branded toy tractors every now and then.
We NEVER see Purdue gear for sale locally, and we're 25 minutes from the Student Union door.

Once, while working at that same CVS, I inquired about it, and my D.M. put me in contact with a low level Product Marketing Manager at the corporate headquarters. I explained the situation, and told him I'd like to adjust my mix to include a better representation of the local schools in the area, which my store was located in. He told me that I could get a little more N.D. stuff, but that Purdue just didn't license merchandise like the other schools did, and that they never got Purdue gear because they were so tight with the licensing of merchandise.

It's better now, but it used to be hard to find Purdue Items in the local big box stores (Target, K-Mart, Wally, Meijer etc). The Tippy Mall usually had some sort of Purdue kiosk there, but you were hard pressed to find Purdue gear at JC Penny, or Kohls.

They have done better with that lately, because even Wal-Mart has a small section of "Officially Licensed" Purdue merchandise these days (I think Meijer has the best local representation actually). But the standard is still the same: everywhere you go, the branding at IU has always greatly outdone what they would let go of in W. Lafayette. What little licensing they would do, retailers didn't want any part of, because the licensing was so expensive, they priced themselves out of the market (common non-grads wouldn't want to pay twice as much, just for a Purdue hat or T-shirt).

Personally, I think this might also be a minor contributor to that "Ivy league" perception that is so prevalent with Purdue, outside of the Midwest. If they are so concerned with what merchandise they will license, it kinda gives a bit of an air of superiority feel to it (again IMHO).

Maybe if it didn't feel like the university was snubbing it's nose at the local/non-student population, they'd maybe have more people "buying in", and supporting the institution/programs.

Just to try to hijack this thread back to the original hijack'ed thread topic:

I believe that there is another factor involved, that helps Indiana silently recruit/expand their fan base, that Purdue fails miserably at: Overall school marketing.

I live in a town that is 20 miles from Purdue. When I was attending Purdue, I was considered a townie, because I lived, worked, and socialized at home, and didn't stay on campus 24/7.

Now, even in this small town (still considered within "the Greater Lafayette Area"), we get flooded with the IU brand all the time.

First, we've got the Logo everywhere: IU Health is a big one. A lot of you will say it doesn't make a difference, but I disagree. Not having actual figures, I'd say between 50-60 of all doctors offices locally have that huge IU badge out there on the front of their buildings touting IU. Can't do much to fight it, but it is what it is.

Secondly, even in this little burg that I live, the local and national stores all carry IU merchandise. The local grocery store has specially labeled IU candy bars, the local Dollar General has a whole section of IU gear in their clothing section.
I used to manage the CVS Pharmacy in that same small town, and every year, in the "back to school" sets, we'd have at least one display of college merchandise, with everything from hats, scarves, pens & pencils, pennants, stickers, post-it notes etc., and ever year the same crap: 80% IU; 19% Notre Dame, and like maybe one item that had a motion P on it.
The "Big R" farm store even sold IU branded toy tractors every now and then.
We NEVER see Purdue gear for sale locally, and we're 25 minutes from the Student Union door.

Once, while working at that same CVS, I inquired about it, and my D.M. put me in contact with a low level Product Marketing Manager at the corporate headquarters. I explained the situation, and told him I'd like to adjust my mix to include a better representation of the local schools in the area, which my store was located in. He told me that I could get a little more N.D. stuff, but that Purdue just didn't license merchandise like the other schools did, and that they never got Purdue gear because they were so tight with the licensing of merchandise.

It's better now, but it used to be hard to find Purdue Items in the local big box stores (Target, K-Mart, Wally, Meijer etc). The Tippy Mall usually had some sort of Purdue kiosk there, but you were hard pressed to find Purdue gear at JC Penny, or Kohls.

They have done better with that lately, because even Wal-Mart has a small section of "Officially Licensed" Purdue merchandise these days (I think Meijer has the best local representation actually). But the standard is still the same: everywhere you go, the branding at IU has always greatly outdone what they would let go of in W. Lafayette. What little licensing they would do, retailers didn't want any part of, because the licensing was so expensive, they priced themselves out of the market (common non-grads wouldn't want to pay twice as much, just for a Purdue hat or T-shirt).

Personally, I think this might also be a minor contributor to that "Ivy league" perception that is so prevalent with Purdue, outside of the Midwest. If they are so concerned with what merchandise they will license, it kinda gives a bit of an air of superiority feel to it (again IMHO).

Maybe if it didn't feel like the university was snubbing it's nose at the local/non-student population, they'd maybe have more people "buying in", and supporting the institution/programs.
Very good post. I think it's getting better but people I don't think realize just how badly our last AD sucked. Especially in that department and is not something that will change over night.

Which I also think that is why you are seeing an uptick in the football program aside from hiring a good coach. A lot of marketing was put in to that to try and dig it out of the muck and it worked well. Basketball and Purdue as a whole has to be on the horizon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT