ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal Targets for 2023-2024 Season

Jul 30, 2019
Available Transfer Targets
1. Jameer Nelson 6-1 Delaware PG/CG (247 top 10) (committed to TCU)
2. Taran Armstrong 6-5 Cal Baptist PG (247 top 10)
3. Khalif Battle 6-5 Temple SG (247 top 10)(crystal ball prediction UCF)
4. Nicholas Timberlake Townson SG (247 top 10) (crystal ball prediction UNC)

5. Demarcus Sharp 6-3 Northwestern State PG (committed to Austin Peay)
6. Andrew Rohde 6-6 St. Thomas PG/SG
7. Jace Carter 6-5 UIC SG
8. Daniss Jenkins 6-3 Iona PG/SG
9. Jackson Paveletzke 6-3 Wofford PG/CG
10. Nate Calmese 6-2 Lamar CG

**Dayvion McKnight 6-1 Western Kentucky PG **(confirmed contact by Purdue)
** Chance McMillian 6-3 Grand Canyon CG **(confirmed contact by Purdue)
Fr1nHQzXoA0oeBJ

All of these guards are athletic and can take care of the basketball.
If Purdue lands two and retains Edey they have a great chance of a March Madness run.

Could easily build a super team this offseason

Ideal lineup

1. Armstrong
2. Nelson
3. Colvin
4. Furst
5. Edey

Last edited:
Available Transfer Targets

1. Demarcus Sharp 6-3 Northwestern State
2. Jameer Nelson 6-1 Delaware
3. Taran Armstrong 6-5 Cal Baptist
4. Andrew Rhode 6-6 St. Thomas
5. Khalif Battle 6-5 Temple

All of these guards are athletic and can take care of the basketball.
If Purdue lands two and retains Edey they have a great chance of a March Madness run.

Ideal lineup

1. Armstrong
2. Nelson
3. Colvin
4. Furst
5. Edey
How much are top portal guards going to go for this year ?

Reactions: boilernuke
How much are top portal guards going to go for this year ?
Purdue's definitely going for 1 to replace Jenkins Jr.

But looking back on the past three tournaments it would definitely be beneficial to get one PG and one PG/CG to fix Purdue's turnover issues and serve as a scoring threat.

Nelson is extremely athletic scoring PG that takes care of the basketball and is great at attacking the rim similar to Carsen Edwards.

Armstrong is a borderline NBA pro prospect with great court vision.

Reactions: tenwest
Purdue's definitely going for 1 to replace Jenkins Jr.

But looking back on the past three tournaments it would definitely be beneficial to get one PG and one PG/CG to fix Purdue's turnover issues and serve as a scoring threat.

Nelson is extremely athletic scoring PG that takes care of the basketball and is great at attacking the rim similar to Carsen Edwards.

Armstrong is a borderline NBA pro prospect with great court vision.
How much would it take to get Armstrong or Nelson. I’ve seen Nelson, he’d be perfect.

Probably not a fit for us. Like the Colts/Ballard, CMP usually lays low thru the early spending spree portion of free agency and then pounces later on the more economical options.
Yes, but I feel like this coming season is a win now mentality.
If they lose to another double digit seed Purdue fans will collectively lose it.
This could be the season when Painter starts to loosen up some of these restrictive rules.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Yes, but I feel like this coming season is a win now mentality.
If they lose to another double digit seed Purdue fans will collectively lose it.
This could be the season when Painter starts to loosen up some of these restrictive rules.
agree 100%. NIL money isn’t supposed to be promised in recruiting, but that rule is obviously being ignored.

Reactions: Poprudy
How much would it take to get Armstrong or Nelson. I’ve seen Nelson, he’d be perfect.

If they played hard ball it would be $200K max each, likely around $100k each.
But they would probably accept less.

Waiting until the end of the transfer period backfired completely this past offseason and contributed towards Purdue's eventual tournament loss.

I'm not even sure the prices are higher initially, once the deadline approaches teams are racing to sign the few available prospects like with what happened to Nijel Pack.

There's many legitimately very skilled scoring PGs and CGs available now that would make an immediate impact.

If Painter has any sense of pragmatism instead of just dogmatic adherence to his system, he'd sign 2-3 players and build a super team. He'd have to drop two players.

Last edited:
To me, that’s the single biggest threat to Painter’s job at Purdue. If he won’t get with the NIL program, we will get worse every season moving forward.

I know we love to bash DGL, but I fear that scenario is the proverbial canary in the coal mine.
Illinois didn’t learn their lesson offering him when he and Skyy Clark are basically the same headcases. Both went to 4 different schools and were previously committed elsewhere before they ended up at Illinois.

Waiting until the end of the transfer period backfired completely this past offseason and contributed towards Purdue's eventual tournament loss.

I'm not even sure the prices are higher initially, once the deadline approaches teams are racing to sign the few available prospects like with what happened to Nijel Pack.

There's many legitimately very skilled scoring PGs and CGs available now that would make an immediate impact.

If Painter has any sense of pragmatism instead of just dogmatic adherence to his system, he'd sign 2-3 players and build a super team. He'd have to drop two players.
Can Purdue Sports hire one of these kids to promote Purdue Sports?

Copied from my comment in another thread but Isa Silva and Javon Small should be targets:

There are a couple of pretty good PGs in the portal already. Isa Silva was highly rated out of HS, but has kind of been disappointing at Stanford.
I also imagine Painter is calling Javon Small from ECU. From Indy, lightly recruited, but was the leading scorer on a pretty good ECU team this year.
Neither are top flight transfers, but could be well paired to split time with Smith.
And speaking of underperforming at Stanford, I'm curious if Harrison Ingram will test the waters. His time in the Bay has been nothing short of a bust considering his hype put of high school, but I wonder if a change of scenery and significantly worse weather would do him some good.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
You gonna find someone who doesn’t care about getting paid, good luck. NIL is needed especially with transfers

Im assuming Nelson Jr. Is the son of the Jameer Nelson who played in the NBA (magic?). If so, i don't think lack of nil is really a hurdle. Probably just looking to get to the league.

With Shrews going to ND - wonder if we target anyone who is gonna leave from PSU?

Figured it was a done deal before it was announced when I saw 2-3 guys enter the portal.

To me, that’s the single biggest threat to Painter’s job at Purdue. If he won’t get with the NIL program, we will get worse every season moving forward.

I know we love to bash DGL, but I fear that scenario is the proverbial canary in the coal mine.
Agree. The collective is there. I don't know how much they have put together at this point, but CMP needs to be open to using it to get a high quality guard this year.

With Shrews going to ND - wonder if we target anyone who is gonna leave from PSU?

Figured it was a done deal before it was announced when I saw 2-3 guys enter the portal.
It will probably be a bit of time before we know what Zach and if any others decide to leave. I understand looking at another guard to help handle the ball and hopefully shoot the ball. That said, Purdues struggles with the press were zone specific and almost all the breaks require a 3 or 4 man to handle the ball. Right now does Purdue have a 3 man or 4 to handle the ball some? Next year is another year of maturity...some of these players may improve in areas we don't currently see, but Purdue needs 3's and 4's that can dribble the ball some and hit open shots...certainly at the 3 spot "if" player(s) leave...which will not be a huge surprise

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
It will probably be a bit of time before we know what Zach and if any others decide to leave. I understand looking at another guard to help handle the ball and hopefully shoot the ball. That said, Purdues struggles with the press were zone specific and almost all the breaks require a 3 or 4 man to handle the ball. Right now does Purdue have a 3 man or 4 to handle the ball some? Next year is another year of maturity...some of these players may improve in areas we don't currently see, but Purdue needs 3's and 4's that can dribble the ball some and hit open shots...certainly at the 3 spot "if" player(s) leave...which will not be a huge surprise
Which players do think might leave?

Which players do think might leave?
I have no insight anymore than other, and it wouldn't be right, and probably wouldn't be told, if I asked one that might know. If any were to leave, I wish them well...it might be a 3. My gut feel is that most would consider two players as possibilities and one of those may not have any interest at all????

Purdue needs another guard, but depending on what happens a 3 man with a year or so might work. That 2 and 3 are real close to each other...maybe a bit better rebounder and slasher at teh three typically. Soooooooooooooooo many questions without knowing how Heide and Colvin will do....that is another area where Matt has a much better feel on the players and needs.

Reactions: SKYDOG
agree 100%. NIL money isn’t supposed to be promised in recruiting, but that rule is obviously being ignored.
I read that Colvin turned down $200,000 a year to play for some kind of school in Florida that plays in league games and teaches players how to manage finances for future. Obviously downside is exposure you don't get. With his father being financially well I see why Colvin wasn't interested. But you see where College Bball is today.

Hate seeing Kansas active. After getting bounced early they well not hesitate to overload.

But good to see we are as well. I have no dog in the race, but I like the ideaof some of the Indiana guys who’ve gone on to do well at smaller schools. The FAU guy for example
What I wrote elsewhere on guards, but applies to all that go to smaller schools with different probabilities of moving up---we sometimes forget such...

"The population produces many more 6'2" players than 6'9" or so. Many times there are a lot of players in high school without huge differences, but the better one thought go to the name schools. Guards are typically the best basketball players on the whole. Sometimes these good, but slightly behind players go to smaller school and get their chance at a lot of minutes with similar assets in competing players and so they may be gaining minutes, making errors and learning in a variety of circumstances that may not be allowed where winning has an even higher expectation that can't allow time for those errors to be corrected in many cases.

Those teams don't go to the tourney every year and so those players get a lot of minutes to grow and develop where teh name schools may not allow the same potential for growth in a player because it is expected to play in the tourney every year or close to it. Then when those small schools have seniors with a lot of minutes between them and the chance to beat Goliath, they sometimes do."

He did not truly wait until the last minute. All early indications were that Pack was coming. The deal he got to go to Miami not only caught Purdue by surprise, it shocked the world.

Reactions: mathboy and tjreese
Hate seeing Kansas active. After getting bounced early they well not hesitate to overload.

But good to see we are as well. I have no dog in the race, but I like the ideaof some of the Indiana guys who’ve gone on to do well at smaller schools. The FAU guy for example
This brings up a question that came up early as NIL rolled out, but I don't recall it being answered. Ever NCAA school is allowed to grant 13 full-ride scholarship. Can they then add additional players who will pay for their tuition with their NIL money? Essentially, they would be recruited walk-ons paying their own way.

This thread doesn’t show up in the main list of threads for me. Anyone else having that issue?

This brings up a question that came up early as NIL rolled out, but I don't recall it being answered. Ever NCAA school is allowed to grant 13 full-ride scholarship. Can they then add additional players who will pay for their tuition with their NIL money? Essentially, they would be recruited walk-ons paying their own way.
Wondered about that too. Not sure what would be wrong with it?

This thread doesn’t show up in the main list of threads for me. Anyone else having that issue?
I got a lot of issues, but none with the site. I do have issues on my phone from time to time

Miami is probably a very special circumstance. Pack took the money, obviously. Miami has one enormous donor ....billionaire by the name of Ruiz I believe. If you watched the IU women lose to Miami in Bloomington, Miami has a set of twins who supposedly are the highest paid female basketball players in the country, including WNBA players. They are from South Bend originally but have had a couple of stops along the way. They supposedly make just under 2 million from NIL and other things. Huge social media presence. If you have seen them, you know why. Ruiz is evidently a major factor in them being at The U as well as Pack. The playing field is not level when it comes to NIL money.

Miami is probably a very special circumstance. Pack took the money, obviously. Miami has one enormous donor ....billionaire by the name of Ruiz I believe. If you watched the IU women lose to Miami in Bloomington, Miami has a set of twins who supposedly are the highest paid female basketball players in the country, including WNBA players. They are from South Bend originally but have had a couple of stops along the way. They supposedly make just under 2 million from NIL and other things. Huge social media presence. If you have seen them, you know why. Ruiz is evidently a major factor in them being at The U as well as Pack. The playing field is not level when it comes to NIL money.
I really just wish they would split college basketball up between the actual amateur teams and the semi pro teams. I would new watch a minute of the semi pro teams.

Reactions: rjmpu82 and tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT