ADVERTISEMENT

TJD Top 6

Typo is much different than completely missing something because of failed reading comprehension skills. Try again loosier.

A typo is when you accidentally hit the wrong key...Using an incorrect word while criticizing someone for their grasp of the English language is downright hilarious.

That isn't even remotely what I said. I get you're an iu fan so you're reading comprehension skills aren't all that good, but it should of been clear enough even for you.

No, that's not what was said. But I do agree that reading a few comments on this thread, it sounds like laying the foundation for trashing him later when he doesn't pick Purdue. Already doubting whether he's all that good due to lack of the big boys being involved. If Purdue were the favorite right now, I'm sure those comments wouldn't be made. He's good, he's probably not top 5 or 10 good, so Duke, UK and UNC have other priorities at that position. If those fall through, I wouldn't be surprised to see a late offer.

Reactions: Riptrain
No, that's not what was said. But I do agree that reading a few comments on this thread, it sounds like laying the foundation for trashing him later when he doesn't pick Purdue. Already doubting whether he's all that good due to lack of the big boys being involved. If Purdue were the favorite right now, I'm sure those comments wouldn't be made. He's good, he's probably not top 5 or 10 good, so Duke, UK and UNC have other priorities at that position. If those fall through, I wouldn't be surprised to see a late offer.

I got that too. James Wiseman is the #1 recruit in the country. Duke hasn't offered him either. James Wiseman is really only actively being recruited by Memphis and UK right now. Why? Because James Wiseman has all but indicated he's only going to attend one of those schools. Does that mean James Wiseman isn't that good? No it's because you can only prioritize so many recruits in a given year.

This actually isn't true.

Purdue:

Johnson
Hammons
Swanigan

IU:

Zeller
Vonleh
Bryant

Side note(depending on your definition of "big" then OG and Vince)

I dont think you want to compare average draft position either...

Haas at Utah as well...…..

So I am correct....

Reactions: Yellowstone1004

So I am correct....

To be fair, Haas hasn't played a second in the NBA...yet., he's only played in the summer league. Christian Watford has played in the summer league at least 3 or 4 different years and I don't think anyone would categorize him as a guy Crean put in the NBA.

To be fair, Haas hasn't played a second in the NBA...yet., he's only played in the summer league. Christian Watford has played in the summer league at least 3 or 4 different years and I don't think anyone would categorize him as a guy Crean put in the NBA.
Never said NBA, said Pro's....read the original post please.

Also, I never mentioned Hummel or Edwards because they played the 4 spot even though they have played the 5 in some games at Purdue.

Last edited:

So I am correct....
I must have missed Haas signing his NBA contract. I thought he just had a summer league deal (which is now expired). Can you link the contract details for his deal with Utah?

Exact same thing can be said for your posters on peegs. The fact still remains that while you iu fans are touting him as the second coming, none of the 'big boys' apparently agree with you. If he was coming here, sure we would be excited and no one is denying that. However, we would be be talking about him in regards to how he will help our program and not anointing him as the savior like you loosiers do. Very big difference.

Reactions: Schnelk
I must have missed Haas signing his NBA contract. I thought he just had a summer league deal (which is now expired). Can you link the contract details for his deal with Utah?
Never said NBA, please re-read the original post...said Pro...….I will link his NBA deal or Overseas deal when it becomes public.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Never said NBA, said Pro's....read the original post please.

Also, I never mentioned Hummel or Edwards because they played the 4 spot even though they have played the 5 in some games at Purdue.

I read your post and it still doesn't make sense. Haas to my knowledge hasn't signed a professional contract with anybody...yet. TJD isn't an NBA 5 either, he's only 6'8.

Reactions: KisteK
I read your post and it still doesn't make sense. Haas to my knowledge hasn't signed a professional contract with anybody...yet. TJD isn't an NBA 5 either, he's only 6'8.
Haas will, give it a few weeks...…

Last edited:
I don't think Coach K and Duke are afraid of competition. I just don't think TJD at this point is a priority for Duke, not when they are recruiting multiple players at his position who are better. I didn't think this was that hard to understand. Duke 100% could recruit TJD if they wanted too but at the same time Duke doesn't need to recruit 4 players who play the 4 or the 5. I think Isiah Stewart is all but a lock to Duke and wouldn't be shocked if Vernon Carey goes to Duke. If Duke gets both those players is anyone going to turn around and question Coach K for not recruiting TJD?
I wasn't just referring to Duke. Where's Kansas? Kentucky? North Carolina? Michigan? Villanova?

And if what you say is true that its a known fact that he's going to IU then why is MSU, UCLA, and the rest all wasting an official visit on him...since the schools only get so many?

Haas will give, it a few weeks...…

I'm not doubting that, but you're now changing the goal posts of your criteria. Are you only limiting big men to that who played the center position? Because if that is the case, TJD isn't a 5, neither is Biggie, and the only true 5's who have been drafted by NBA teams from Purdue are JJ and Hammons and none of them have stuck in the NBA.

Someone of TJD's caliber isn't concerned about how many Purdue guys have signed professional contracts. TJD is a potential lottery pick who is looking to carve out a long career in the NBA. All but Swanigan was a 4 year player at Purdue. I don't think TJD's mindset coming into school is staying 4 years and developing to the point to where he can get a professional contract. I think he wants to go to a school that will showcase him for a year or two in a lead role and then be a lottery pick with a guaranteed multi-million dollar deal. I don't think TJD wants to be sold on JJ or Hammons four year developmental plan at Purdue and then playing overseas in 2-3 years.

I wasn't just referring to Duke. Where's Kansas? Kentucky? North Carolina? Michigan? Villanova?

And if what you say is true that its a known fact that he's going to IU then why is MSU, UCLA, and the rest all wasting an official visit on him...since the schools only get so many?

If you're UCLA I think you take a chance on any 5 star kid visiting campus and falling in love with LA. As far as MSU goes...it may have to do with their scholarship situation and if they can afford to "waste" a visit. May help them with Brooks as well.

I'm not doubting that, but you're now changing the goal posts of your criteria. Are you only limiting big men to that who played the center position? Because if that is the case, TJD isn't a 5, neither is Biggie, and the only true 5's who have been drafted by NBA teams from Purdue are JJ and Hammons and none of them have stuck in the NBA.

Someone of TJD's caliber isn't concerned about how many Purdue guys have signed professional contracts. TJD is a potential lottery pick who is looking to carve out a long career in the NBA. All but Swanigan was a 4 year player at Purdue. I don't think TJD's mindset coming into school is staying 4 years and developing to the point to where he can get a professional contract. I think he wants to go to a school that will showcase him for a year or two in a lead role and then be a lottery pick with a guaranteed multi-million dollar deal. I don't think TJD wants to be sold on JJ or Hammons four year developmental plan at Purdue and then playing overseas in 2-3 years.
The IU douche set the parameters I didn't.....I said Big Men, he defined them as only Centers......go back and read.

I also disagree...he is interested in Purdue because we have shown we feed the post and can play inside out as well as the development and that should attract any level of big man.

All Big Men like the chance to touch the ball on offense every time down the court, even if just to pass out of the double team.
We all can have our own opinions.

Last edited:

Purdue:

Johnson
Hammons
Swanigan

IU:

Zeller
Vonleh
Bryant

I thought Bryant got cut by the Lakers?

If we're looking at 6'8" players and above, coach Painter can claim:
Johnson
Hammons
Swanigan
Hummel
Landry

What players can lil Archie claim?

UNC/Kansas/UK are all in the same boat as Duke. All recruiting players better than TJD. A school like MSU doesn't recruit nationally like those other blue bloods. MSU is all in on Vernon Carey Jr but he's likely to end up at Duke or Kentucky so they have TJD as a back up plan. Same with UCLA. Again I'm not saying TJD is a lock top 5 pick next year, but blue blood schools who are all recruiting kids of equal or better talent than TJD don't have the luxury to go all in on a guy who has made it pretty clear he wants to attend IU. Now a school like MSU, Wake, Iowa, Purdue, etc doesn't have the luxury to tell a 5* no thanks just because he's a lean somewhere else because none of those schools are in with other multiple 5* recruits.

It's about picking and choosing your battles. Duke/IU/Kansas/Kentucky aren't going to let a kid who has expressed huge interest in IU hold their recruiting hostage. They are going to devote more resources to the kids who are a) better than TJD and b) aren't a heavy lean one way. Why do you think schools like Kansas and UNC and then Duke who never offered back off James Wiseman, the #1 recruit in the country? Because Wiseman has all but indicated he's either going to Kentucky or Memphis. No need to waste your time recruiting a kid who has the writing on the wall.

Johnson
Hammons
Swanigan
Hummel
Landry

Hunk my original post said Big Men and last 10 years...….the IU trolls and others are now picking it apart. Landry was back I 2005 so he doesn't count.

Not worth trying to discuss anymore.....

I hope TJD picks Purdue so they all just shut up.....

Last edited:
Reactions: hunkgolden

Purdue:

Johnson
Hammons
Swanigan

IU:

Zeller
Vonleh
Bryant

The big difference is the staff for Purdue is still in place today. Where are those IU coaches now? It's not the school that should be debated here, but the coaches and their systems.

Reactions: BoiledSteel

Johnson
Hammons
Swanigan
Hummel
Landry

Bryant was cut by the Lakers, but his contract was picked up by the Wizards for the 18/19 season.

Archie cant claim any. He has been at IU for one year. Looking at 6'8" players and above for IU using your time frame though:

White
Zeller
Vonleh
Bryant
OG

Bryant was cut by the Lakers, but his contract was picked up by the Wizards for the 18/19 season.

Archie cant claim any. He has been at IU for one year. Looking at 6'8" players and above for IU using your time frame though:

White
Zeller
Vonleh
Bryant
OG
So Archie has never coached a 6'8" player or taller who played in the NBA? Interesting.

The big difference is the staff for Purdue is still in place today. Where are those IU coaches now? It's not the school that should be debated here, but the coaches and their systems.
Archie is going into his 2nd year (1st year with his own recruits).

So Archie has never coached a 6'8" player or taller who played in the NBA? Interesting.
Nope, he hasnt. Yet he is still looking like the favorite to land both 6'8"+ in state 5* players.

If Painter is such a great developer of big men, and is known for getting big men to the NBA, why does he only have 1 top 25 big men in his time at Purdue?

You have to look at TJD's recruitment as a two way street as well. TJD himself is only allowed 5 official visits and I believe schools are only allowed to have so many official visits per year. Look at it from TJD's perspective. Of the top big men in the country:

James Wiseman is basically down to UK and Memphis

Vernon Carey is arguably the most sought after player and think his 4 schools are down to UNC, Duke, MSU, and Miami where his father played football.

Isiah Stewart who has given his top 10 with Duke considered to be the heavy favorite.

Matthew Hurt who is considering all the blue bloods with Kansas thought to be the early favorite as he is an Adidas AAU player.

3/4 are going to likely come down to Duke, UNC, and Kentucky. I think Wiseman to Memphis is all but done. Stewart to Duke is all but done. Hurt to Kansas is a pretty good bet. Carey is the guy who is still up in the air and UK is going to make the biggest run at him now that Wiseman is probably outside looking in. These schools are all also offering and expecting official visits from multiple other 5* prospects, many who aren't heavy leans one way or the other right now.

Looking at it from TJD's perspective, he's not a high priority right now at those schools for his perspective. Why would he waste a bunch of official visits at those schools if he isn't a high priority right now? Hopefully not just for the sake they are blue blood schools. At the same time if you're looking at it from the blue bloods perspective, if I can only have X amount of kids take officials to my school, I'm not going to waste an official on a kid like TJD because he's not a high priority at the position I'm looking to fill. That and I'm also expecting a bunch of other 5* at different positions to take officials as well. It's not that TJD isn't as good simply because of his top 6 and it's not that those schools don't want TJD, they simply can't make him a priority now. TJD may commit in the fall but in my eyes he's still free game until he signs his LOI. Could see a real possibility where TJD verbals to a school in the fall, but waits until the Spring to sign because who knows, one of those blue bloods could then have something fall through and then TJD becomes a fall back option. But the other schools in TJD's top 6 don't have the luxury to say no to an official from TJD just because he is a heavy IU lean. It's a high risk, high reward scenario because they don't have other 5* candidates lining up officials at their schools.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Johnson
Hammons
Swanigan
Hummel
Landry

Maybe not a player, but he has taken a team to a Elite 8. Can Painter say the same???NO!

hyperbole goes both ways. I believe Purdue fans should wait until a Purdue player actually has a contract before they call him a PRO. For the past 4 years, all I read o n this board was how great has was and the pros are interested, and he has generated a lot of interest from the NBA and he'll be drafted. etc. etc. etc.

Contrary to our Society's direction, I think it's time to start being honest. Vince was drafted in the second round. Does he have a pro contract? Mathias was invited to participate for an NBA team in the Summer league as was Haas.

As a Bucks fan, they've already reached out to their Summer league players they want to stick around and possibly sign. They've made their decisions public as have many other NBA teams. I haven't heard anything about Purdue's players.

You shouldn't brag about or call a Purdue player a Pro until they become one. To date, the only one of the 4 Purdue players that actually signed a Pro contract was PJ. When Vince, Dakota, and Haas actually sign a contract, then call them a pro. Don't be a homer and over glorify somebody.

this is a national board whose focus is Purdue sports. it's open to anybody not just Purdue students and alumni. As such, differing opinions and perspectives will be offered. Don't try to spin the truth. it just leads to name calling and un-needed discussion - like my condescending posts.

Reactions: nagemj02
That's not what the post said. It said Purdue has put more bigs in the NBA the last 10 years. That's not accurate.

As far as developing bigs, Johnson and Swanigan were both top 50 players and had to have had their eyes on the pros coming out of high school. Hammons was around 75, correct? Regardless, there isn't a big argument for "Purdue gets bigs to the NBA and IU doesnt".
When I "read" Purdue put...I take it that Purdue was a major effect that affected that player moving forward. As I said, IU had nothing to do with those players going forward. That doesn't mean they couldn't have...just that those players were on their way no matter where they went ...

"PUT" was the operative word the way I read it...

I took it that way too but at the same time I think TJD falls into the category similar to the IU players. I think TJD is an NBA player wherever he goes so not so sure his emphasis is all about "development".

I see TJD as a two year player. I think he could leave after a year and still get drafted but would be a fringe first rounder. I think he could be a lottery pick after two years once he develops a more consistent mid-range/perimeter game and that is something both IU and Purdue could offer. IU will be losing Morgan to graduation and likely Romeo to the draft as well and someone like TJD could come in and be the man right away. He'd obviously start at Purdue from day 1 and that is a given but not sure how big of a role Purdue could offer as they will likely be returning a lot of key contributors minus Cline and possibly Carsen.
We might as well credit MSU for teh great development of JJJ in his only year and outstanding play... during THE year. ;)

Thank you for making my point...please list the bigs Archie has put into the pros, with particular emphasis on those he coached at IU with his current staff...QED
Obviously there are none at this point. With that being said, how is Archie able to gain high interest from Brooks and TJD while Purdue hasn't? As you have pointed out, Painter has the better track record. Are you disappointed with his recruiting given that he seemingly has the upper hand when recruiting bigs, but has failed to land any 5* bigs other than Biggie?

Reactions: tcash768187
I remember looking at the all time head-to-head between PU and IU and went to bed sleeping very well that night knowing even in a worst case, IU would most likely never catch PU in head-to-head wins in my lifetime and I am only 48 this year.
Hell, I'm a lot older than you and have known that for all of my life...and the great grandchildren I don't currently have either...

We might as well credit MSU for teh great development of JJJ in his only year and outstanding play... during THE year. ;)

Can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not, but that’s kind of my point. JJJ was severely underutilized at MSU but was still a top 5 pick and that has everything to do with JJJ’s measurables and skill set than it does how he was used at MSU.

TJD isn’t as good as Jackson but TJD is a guy who will find his way into the first round just about anywhere he goes. It’s why I disagreed with the original statement that said he should go to Purdue over anywhere else because Painter has X amount of “pros”. Most of Painters pros have been drafted outside the first round and all but Biggie (too early to tell) and Moore (not a big man) have fizzled out rather quickly.

It's a tougher argument saying MSU didn't develop him without seeing him in practice day after day. MSU very well could've played a major part in getting him to look like a top draft pick (in individual workouts, on film...etc). Now on the other hand did they USE him as well as they could've? The scoreboard of the Syracuse game speaks for itself....

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT