ADVERTISEMENT

TJD Top 6

The only game I watched him play was a Peach Jam game...…...and he was owned at both ends. Must have been a bad game. Hope PU gets him!

is there a difference in what a school can show or offer a potential recruit on an official vs unofficial visit?

or is the only difference that he must pay logistically to get to the university and his stay on an unofficial visit.

if my last assumption is true, perhaps we are unofficial because we are the cheapest school to travel to (e.g. best use of resources for his family). so, perhaps not all bad that we are the unofficial.

with the core of players we have, a game changer like TJD can put us on a national stage in the biggest way. the difficulty is that WE know this, but can you convince a kid that he could be THAT influential to a program and to his own future (skill development and WINNER label) by coming here? that's the challenge.

is there a difference in what a school can show or offer a potential recruit on an official vs unofficial visit?

or is the only difference that he must pay logistically to get to the university and his stay on an unofficial visit.

if my last assumption is true, perhaps we are unofficial because we are the cheapest school to travel to (e.g. best use of resources for his family). so, perhaps not all bad that we are the unofficial.

with the core of players we have, a game changer like TJD can put us on a national stage in the biggest way. the difficulty is that WE know this, but can you convince a kid that he could be THAT influential to a program and to his own future (skill development and WINNER label) by coming here? that's the challenge.
I know on an unofficial visit we can only give limited tickets to an event (football or basketball) and can't pay for anything. Also believe their interactions are limited as well.

I like you assumption but IU would be the cheaper of the 2 since he lives on the South Side of Indy.

Unofficial visit are not covered by the school meaning expenses official visits are 100% covered by university. Official visit are vastly different than taking unofficial visit more personal when you get an official visit

I thought it said TJD was taking an official November 3rd to Purdue.
Which would be his last official.
Does he make it to our official?

MSU and UCLA are the only potential spoilers here and I don't think either is well positioned to pull this off. The only 2 scenarios I heard of where TJD would go somewhere other than Bloomington were:

1. If IU had signed another stud Big before him (Hurt, Watford, Stewart, etc...)
2. If Duke or UNC had put on a big push for him in the Summer.

Neither of those two scenarios have seemed to play out.

Reactions: KisteK
The reason this didn’t happen was him spending every available minute in Bloomington and every coach knowing it.

Every coach knows that he is already going to IU. Hopefully Painter doesn’t bother writing down that “visit” in his calendar.

I’m not really quite sure what’s holding him back. I guess free trips to visit schools. Maybe parents are making him eat all of his dinner before he can have dessert. Who knows. But I find it odd that he does spend a lot of time in Bloomington but hasn’t committed.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The reason this didn’t happen was him spending every available minute in Bloomington and every coach knowing it.

Every coach knows that he is already going to IU. Hopefully Painter doesn’t bother writing down that “visit” in his calendar.
Yeah. He kinda showed his cards with those visits and scared a lot of big suitors away. Also its a lot if little things. I guess he's a big Fortnite player and his regular on-line playing partner is Romeo Langford.

Unofficial visit are not covered by the school meaning expenses official visits are 100% covered by university. Official visit are vastly different than taking unofficial visit more personal when you get an official visit

Thanks for sharing your experience TReed. I haven't had the privilege to be exposed to this process on the level that you have. Good stuff.

MSU and UCLA are the only potential spoilers here and I don't think either is well positioned to pull this off. The only 2 scenarios I heard of where TJD would go somewhere other than Bloomington were:

1. If IU had signed another stud Big before him (Hurt, Watford, Stewart, etc...)

Neither of those two scenarios have seemed to play out.

I just don't get why he is waiting to commit if he really is an IU lock. Seems like a case where Izzo's charm will swipe him up if Miller can't close the deal on his IU official.

Reactions: mreeser
I don't think Matt is devoting a lot of time recruiting him either. The only disappointed people will be casual followers of CBB recruiting.

We hear how he's texting, calling, and watching Malik Hall. Same with his staff and Newman and Franklin. Nothing about him on TJD.

I'll take Hall for 3-4 years. The timing is better for everyone to peak in 2021/22.

Although TJD could spotlight showcase in 2019/20 after Carsen gets drafted: The Haarms (Jr)/Eastern (Jr)/Boudreaux (Sr)/Davis show.

I just don't get why he is waiting to commit if he really is an IU lock. Seems like a case where Izzo's charm will swipe him up if Miller can't close the deal on his IU official.
I think his stepdad has a lot of influence in this process and that’s why he hasn’t committed yet.

He is the voice of reason and the one who liked Painter and Purdue.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Here's a question - when was the last time a 5 star player had such an unimpressive list of final schools? No Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan, Villanova, and etc.
UCLA? This isn't 1970. IU? This isn't 1980. Iowa? Wake Forest? Either the ratings services are way off or the top coaches have whiffed on this kid.

Here's a question - when was the last time a 5 star player had such an unimpressive list of final schools? No Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Michigan, Villanova, and etc.
UCLA? This isn't 1970. IU? This isn't 1980. Iowa? Wake Forest? Either the ratings services are way off or the top coaches have whiffed on this kid.
The top tier programs never started fully recruiting him, because he basically lived on IU's campus last year. They thought it was a foregone conclusion where he was going to go.

Others have eluded to it, but I think TJD hasn't been shy about wanting to attend IU. If you're a coach of a blue blood program who is recruiting multiple 5*'s each year are you really going to hone a lot of your time on a player who for a couple of years has strongly indicated he wants to attend one school in particular (in this case IU)? I just don't think Duke, UNC, UK, etc can afford to spend the resources on a kid like that when they are recruiting four or five other kids of the same caliber.

Duke for all practical purposes is recruiting Matthew Hurt, Isiah Stewart, and Vernon Carey who are all likely better than TJD and neither of them have given really any kind of lean as of yet. If you're Coach K, why would you devote the resources to recruit somebody like TJD?

I just don't think Duke, UNC, UK, etc can afford to spend the resources on a kid like that when they are recruiting four or five other kids of the same caliber.
Those schools you mention absolutely can afford to spend resources on recruiting whomever they want. They get money pumped in to their programs and can send assistants where other schools need to send the head coach because they are 'blue bloods'.

If TJD is good as good as we are being led to believe then why wouldn't coach K devote time? Your last line that I didn't quote sort of proves hunk's point.

Reactions: Roeder
Those schools you mention absolutely can afford to spend resources on recruiting whomever they want. They get money pumped in to their programs and can send assistants where other schools need to send the head coach because they are 'blue bloods'.

If TJD is good as good as we are being led to believe then why wouldn't coach K devote time? Your last line that I didn't quote sort of proves hunk's point.

Because Coach K is actively recruiting Matthew Hurt, Isiah Stewart, and Vernon Carey who are all better than TJD and all play the same position. And that's just for one position. He still has to recruit a bunch of other guards and wings. Coach K isn't going to waste a bunch of time on a kid who has made it clear he really wants to go to IU.

Now if two of those guys quickly commit elsewhere and TJD is still uncommitted then I think you see Duke get involved with TJD as he is the next best bet. But Duke seems to be in great position with both Vernon Carey and Isiah Stewart, he doesn't need to be going all in on TJD. And at the same time why would TJD want to go to Duke and play behind someone like Carey Jr or Stewart? It's a two way street.

They can afford to but doesn’t mean they are stupid. They only get so many visits and time to devote so they prioritized and moved on.

I get what you are saying and sure Cal or K could get almost any kid and have proven it but they also realize when to cut bait and run.

TJD is a #16 - Carey (2), Stewart (5) and Hurt (6). So they are after the elite of the elite. If TJD hadn’t shown his hand about leaning IU he could have gotten offers as a fallback.

JMHO

Reactions: SKYDOG
Because Coach K is actively recruiting Matthew Hurt, Isiah Stewart, and Vernon Carey who are all better than TJD and all play the same position. And that's just for one position. He still has to recruit a bunch of other guards and wings. Coach K isn't going to waste a bunch of time on a kid who has made it clear he really wants to go to IU.

Now if two of those guys quickly commit elsewhere and TJD is still uncommitted then I think you see Duke get involved with TJD as he is the next best bet. But Duke seems to be in great position with both Vernon Carey and Isiah Stewart, he doesn't need to be going all in on TJD. And at the same time why would TJD want to go to Duke and play behind someone like Carey Jr or Stewart? It's a two way street.
When have those schools ever let competition for a player scare them away???

When have those schools ever let competition for a player scare them away???

I don't think Coach K and Duke are afraid of competition. I just don't think TJD at this point is a priority for Duke, not when they are recruiting multiple players at his position who are better. I didn't think this was that hard to understand. Duke 100% could recruit TJD if they wanted too but at the same time Duke doesn't need to recruit 4 players who play the 4 or the 5. I think Isiah Stewart is all but a lock to Duke and wouldn't be shocked if Vernon Carey goes to Duke. If Duke gets both those players is anyone going to turn around and question Coach K for not recruiting TJD?

Yes...TJD secretly isn't good at basketball...Rinse/repeat when recruits look like they're not Purdue bound

Reactions: BoilerIron
Yes...TJD secretly isn't good at basketball...Rinse/repeat when recruits look like they're not Purdue bound
That isn't even remotely what I said. I get you're an iu fan so you're reading comprehension skills aren't all that good, but it should of been clear enough even for you.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
TJD is a smart kid to keep Purdue in the mix...…

Purdue has put more Big Men in the pros the last 10 years than IU so he knows we can develop him.

TJD is a smart kid to keep Purdue in the mix...…

Purdue has put more Big Men in the pros the last 10 years than IU so he knows we can develop him.
This actually isn't true.

Purdue:

Johnson
Hammons
Swanigan

IU:

Zeller
Vonleh
Bryant

Side note(depending on your definition of "big" then OG and Vince)

I dont think you want to compare average draft position either...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
This actually isn't true.

Purdue:

Johnson
Hammons
Swanigan

IU:

Zeller
Vonleh
Bryant

Side note(depending on your definition of "big" then OG and Vince)

I dont think you want to compare average draft position either...
I hate getting into silly things, but I think the "reference to the schools" is with context to "development" and I think all of three of IU's were NBA bound no matter where they went. The same can't be said for PUrdue's I don't believe.

I hate getting into silly things, but I think the "reference to the schools" is with context to "development" and I think all of three of IU's were NBA bound no matter where they went. The same can't be said for PUrdue's I don't believe.
That's not what the post said. It said Purdue has put more bigs in the NBA the last 10 years. That's not accurate.

As far as developing bigs, Johnson and Swanigan were both top 50 players and had to have had their eyes on the pros coming out of high school. Hammons was around 75, correct? Regardless, there isn't a big argument for "Purdue gets bigs to the NBA and IU doesnt".

I took it that way too but at the same time I think TJD falls into the category similar to the IU players. I think TJD is an NBA player wherever he goes so not so sure his emphasis is all about "development".

I see TJD as a two year player. I think he could leave after a year and still get drafted but would be a fringe first rounder. I think he could be a lottery pick after two years once he develops a more consistent mid-range/perimeter game and that is something both IU and Purdue could offer. IU will be losing Morgan to graduation and likely Romeo to the draft as well and someone like TJD could come in and be the man right away. He'd obviously start at Purdue from day 1 and that is a given but not sure how big of a role Purdue could offer as they will likely be returning a lot of key contributors minus Cline and possibly Carsen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT