ADVERTISEMENT

Flame away, but....

I’m okay with not winning the BTT, but concerned about how we lost. 2nd half turnovers and a poor coaching decision at the end of regulation. Putting Edey on the ball with 2.7 left is why I don’t think CMP is a good game coach. Edey is a rim protector on defense, and thats it. Away from the basket he is not effective or a good defender. Giving up a layup with 2.7 left is just unacceptable.

I’m okay with not winning the BTT, but concerned about how we lost. 2nd half turnovers and a poor coaching decision at the end of regulation. Putting Edey on the ball with 2.7 left is why I don’t think CMP is a good game coach. Edey is a rim protector on defense, and thats it. Away from the basket he is not effective or a good defender. Giving up a layup with 2.7 left is just unacceptable.
Smith was on the ball. The problem is that he didn't get any help on the drive, either from Edey or Jones on the opposite post.

Reactions: Schnelk
Smith was on the ball. The problem is that he didn't get any help on the drive, either from Edey or Jones on the opposite post.
Plus, Smith had 4 fouls and could not play anyway near an aggressive defense. I also just hate that we got beat on a shot by Klesmit. That guy is kind of a punk, imo.

Reactions: Schnelk
Yes, I think this team needs a reset and rest. Being on edge after an L entering the tournament might be a good thing. Save Bradens legs. I'd rather lose to Wisky than Hawkins and ILL too.
it's somewhat of a rationalization of course, but I said the same thing.
Having a week to stew about this loss isn't the worst thing for this team right now.
And getting Braden and Zach healthy is the prime directive.

Pretty sure that was planned. They overplayed everywhere. Giving up a two and going overtime is better than giving up a 3 and losing it there.
Was the right move.
I do agree Zach's place was guarding the basket.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

These coaches are all need replaced. Clearly they are terrible game coaches, stubborn, inflexible, that won't change Ds, inflexible on offense, and aren't any good with the pressure on. Fire them all.

There, that's consistent with a small handful of posters here, and should make them feel all warm & fuzzy don't you think?

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I am glad we are not playing yet another game today. I have been looking forward to 6 PM today, for almost a year now.
I’m over the loss, still wish they were playing though, never hope Purdue losses, I get your thinking but I can’t do it.

These coaches are all need replaced. Clearly they are terrible game coaches, stubborn, inflexible, that won't change Ds, inflexible on offense, and aren't any good with the pressure on. Fire them all.

There, that's consistent with a small handful of posters here, and should make them feel all warm & fuzzy don't you think?
I question how many of them are truly Purdue fans and/or truly know how basketball works. No doubt the last 2.6 seconds wasn’t great on Painters part, however, he designed a great play that Edey (he was fouled) missed an easy pass on. Purdue didn’t play well, Braden was thoroughly outplayed by Chucky, interior defense and blocking out were poor, I truly think they’ll be ok though.

Sorry guys but there's only 1 poster that throws a hissy fit after every loss. Pretending that there's some group of posters that calls for Painter's head after every loss, and posting that other coaches should be fired/on the hot seat after their loss, isn't particularly clever. Nor does it contradict the actual points of the Painter critics.

Sorry guys but there's only 1 poster that throws a hissy fit after every loss. Pretending that there's some group of posters that calls for Painter's head after every loss, and posting that other coaches should be fired/on the hot seat after their loss, isn't particularly clever. Nor does it contradict the actual points of the Painter critics.
There are more than 1, but honestly, the one poster who is repeatedly posting that Painter lost to Wisconsin because:
he is stubborn
never changes
doesn't play zone
plays Morten more minutes than other players
etc., etc., etc.
has no legitimate point.

Pretty sure that was planned. They overplayed everywhere. Giving up a two and going overtime is better than giving up a 3 and losing it there.
Was the right move.
how about having Furst guard the trigger guy amd keep Edey in the paint? just asking

Reactions: Bippus33
a 3 would have beat us.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
My thoughts on this are:

1. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Wisconsin is a very good team. They are much better than their record and they match up well with Purdue. In the past two games this year, Wisky played Purdue very tough and both games were close. My point is that it is tough to beat a very good team 3 times in a season. Purdue almost did it yesterday but came up short. (And even if Purdue did beat Wisconsin yesterday, could they have beaten Illinois 3 times today?)

2. Yesterday morning (not knowing if Braden was going to play) I was thinking that if Purdue loses at the last second it will serve as a good "slap in the face" to get them ready and focused for next week. The last 2 seasons, Purdue was playing well enough to win games down the stretch. There was not much incentive to improve and fix things if you always grind out a W. In my opinion, that type of complacency killed Purdue's NCAA run the last 2 years.

4. Purdue plays well after losses. They have almost a full week of rest and focus on the next game. The players have been talking about the NCAA all season and now it is here. Expect them to take their opponents seriously next week. (I think that was one of the big reasons why Purdue lost the last 2 years)

Plus, Smith had 4 fouls and could not play anyway near an aggressive defense. I also just hate that we got beat on a shot by Klesmit. That guy is kind of a punk, imo.
Kind of a punk? That guy has the most punchable face since Jordan Bohannon.

Anyway, I'm happy with letting them have their day in the sun. Enjoy your win(s) now, Wisconsin, because you aren't going anywhere in the NCAAT.

For us, hopefully this bitter loss is the smelling salts that wakes up the future champ.

Furst on the ball, Zack underneath, 3 man Triangle Zone around Zack...force the 3...their legs were gone

My thoughts on this are:

1. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but Wisconsin is a very good team. They are much better than their record and they match up well with Purdue. In the past two games this year, Wisky played Purdue very tough and both games were close. My point is that it is tough to beat a very good team 3 times in a season. Purdue almost did it yesterday but came up short. (And even if Purdue did beat Wisconsin yesterday, could they have beaten Illinois 3 times today?)

2. Yesterday morning (not knowing if Braden was going to play) I was thinking that if Purdue loses at the last second it will serve as a good "slap in the face" to get them ready and focused for next week. The last 2 seasons, Purdue was playing well enough to win games down the stretch. There was not much incentive to improve and fix things if you always grind out a W. In my opinion, that type of complacency killed Purdue's NCAA run the last 2 years.

4. Purdue plays well after losses. They have almost a full week of rest and focus on the next game. The players have been talking about the NCAA all season and now it is here. Expect them to take their opponents seriously next week. (I think that was one of the big reasons why Purdue lost the last 2 years)
I just hope Zack ( of all people) keeps his composure, as I said yesterday this "enforcer" thing he does like vs MSU and Wisky plus he does that stare down thing after a dunk. I know he wants to show he's a great teammate but there's a fine line where his actions could hurt the team

Was the right move.
If you have Zach guarding the basket you definitely allow a 3 ball. Either Zach's man has a shot or Zach's man can screen for another shooter since Zach is playing his one man zone. All that had to happen was for Wahl to watch and see if Zach is on him making the read and either take it out seeing around a different defender or letting another take it out and being a screener. Zach was going to be in space and exposed and the least exposure was for him to defend was the triggerman...which had he did, the ball would have headed back out away from the basket. Execution was a fault, not strategy. Course I'm open to other thoughts, but an undefended 3 ball beats Purdue who should have been in better condition going into half at the worse. none of this has very little to do with Purdue losing

Reactions: boilerzz
That layup should never have happened. Smith had to be hurting, had four fouls playing in his head, and was simply a step slow in getting to a spot. If you watch the replay, Jones failed to come across the lane and help. That said, that's not the reason Purdue lost.

Im talking about the inbounder. Edey was on the ball for the inbound leaving him 30’ from the basket giving CH a 2’ layup

If you have Zach guarding the basket you definitely allow a 3 ball. Either Zach's man has a shot or Zach's man can screen for another shooter since Zach is playing his one man zone. All that had to happen was for Wahl to watch and see if Zach is on him making the read and either take it out seeing around a different defender or letting another take it out and being a screener. Zach was going to be in space and exposed and the least exposure was for him to defend was the triggerman...which had he did, the ball would have headed back out away from the basket. Execution was a fault, not strategy. Course I'm open to other thoughts, but an undefended 3 ball beats Purdue who should have been in better condition going into half at the worse. none of this has very little to do with Purdue losing
I’d rather give a 3pt shot that has about a 30-40% chance than a 2‘ layup that has about 90% chance. If you’re going to play it that way, you be better off to foul and make them hit 2 from the line to tie it. Giving up a layup is inexcusable

Im talking about the inbounder. Edey was on the ball for the inbound leaving him 30’ from the basket giving CH a 2’ layup
I see what you mean. CMP uses Edey a lot in those situations to make the inbounds pass more difficult. The problem was that Edey didn't quickly get back into position to help Braden on the drive. He had time. A little lazy given the circumstances.

That layup should never have happened. Smith had to be hurting, had four fouls playing in his head, and was simply a step slow in getting to a spot. If you watch the replay, Jones failed to come across the lane and help. That said, that's not the reason Purdue lost.
Not the reason we lost, but bad coaching in a tight game. Smith shouldn’t have even been in imo. Should have had heide and Morton in along with Edey Jones and TKR.

Reactions: DrEss
I see what you mean. CMP uses Edey a lot in those situations to make the inbounds pass more difficult. The problem was that Edey didn't quickly get back into position to help Braden on the drive. He had time. A little lazy given the circumstances.
No he didn’t, there was only 2.7 seconds left. CH got the ball and went right to the hoop. Edey had his back to the basket on the inbounds and had no chance to make it back at that point. W most likely would have shot a 3 if he Edey was under the basket, but I’d rather take my chances.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Not the reason we lost, but bad coaching in a tight game. Smith shouldn’t have even been in imo. Should have had heide and Morton in along with Edey Jones and TKR.
Yep, as said before, Smith being dinged up and with 4 fouls was a defensive liability and easy target for Wisky to go at. I like the idea of bringing in Heide to play him there. And if he got beat, he could have fouled the heck out of Chucky.

No he didn’t, there was only 2.7 seconds left. CH got the ball and went right to the hoop. Edey had his back to the basket on the inbounds and had no chance to make it back at that point. W most likely would have shot a 3 if he Edey was under the basket, but I’d rather take my chances.
Either way it was poor. I thought Edey could have quickly trapped Hepburn there and did not.

Was the right move.
I am fine with overplaying but Edey on the ball isn't stopping a three. The guy he was guarding never makes them and he's not challenging a three anywhere else. Better to have him under the rim or playing more center field.

UW isn't running a play where the ball goes back to Wahl for a three he sucks at shooting them.

I think it was the wrong call but the reality is there were multiple chances to win that game we fumbled away. The loss is no big deal but the decision making was not great by key players. Gotta play smarter

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT