ADVERTISEMENT

Flame away, but....

ALL man outside of complete denial can be considered modified man and has been that way for a loooooooooong time. Modified man specifically might be new rules inside the man to the specific man D in question ( a certain team), but outside of man on man only (hugging away from the ball) a lot of different coaches have their modified version from another coach and for a specific team perhaps modified again. Morfing man as needed is one of the luxuries afforded to man defense. You can morf a zone also most easily by shifting it toward a player inside the zone. In the spectrum between pure man and pure zone are many hybrids and those hybrids borrow from each. I know you know that.
I know we don't use the "Z" word at PU. We've already covered this a million times now. Call it whatever you want, I don't care. Variety is what I wanted and have seen more of it this year. Glad to see it. Was thrilled to read that interview with the assistant coaches. They made it VERY clear they are pushing for some different looks and have had some success getting those looks implemented. They just don't use the word zone, and that is fine with me. Modified Man to Man is cool with me.

Reactions: tjreese
I know we don't use the "Z" word at PU. We've already covered this a million times now. Call it whatever you want, I don't care. Variety is what I wanted and have seen more of it this year. Glad to see it. Was thrilled to read that interview with the assistant coaches. They made it VERY clear they are pushing for some different looks and have had some success getting those looks implemented. They just don't use the word zone, and that is fine with me. Modified Man to Man is cool with me.
I think the last few games there has been more space...more zone area ;) more sag to the lane on weakside than previous. Not a lot, maybe 2-3 ft? I'm not sure that it has resulted in less penetration, but now we are back to what I said many times before, in various posts.

If it hasn't appeared to improve stopping dribble penetration...would it have been worse not sagging the extra couple of feet? That is a logical question, knowing what the trade off is. You hope to curb dribble penetration while knowing the skip pass is easier , and the close outs are longer for the three ball? In theory one should help and the other become more vulnerable. There is no answer that satisfies all conditions. IT is always what you are willing to give up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT