ADVERTISEMENT

TJD Top 6

JM, it is a fact that whenever someone from here, mathboy in particular, pointed out to the Peegsters that Crean had soured the Indiana HS coaches that was vehemently denounced as a total fabrication. Now that is accepted as absolute wisdom by the Indiana faithful. To the best of my knowledge, he (and others) was (were) never given credit for the perceived insight and recognized as having been unfairly treated. He could vouch for what I am posting as correct.

Your post is on point.

At the risk of generalizing, I believe that fan bases defend their coaches to an extreme on opposing message boards, and that the same posters rip the same coach apart on their home board.

I know that Crean was destroyed on the reputable IU boards during the last two years of his tenure when he began consistently missing on high level in-state recruits.

I look at Haas. It's clear, he really developed his game over the past 4 years. but who should be given the credit? Haas? Painter? an assistant? If Haas would have gone to his original committed school, would have developed as much?

If I were a Purdue coach, I would do everything I could to avoid bringing up Haas when discussing the program’s abilities to develop a player. Haas was a 7’0 or 7’2 (depending on the recruiting service), 275 lb behemoth that was a consensus top 100 player (top 75 according to some sites) that was “developed” into an undrafted player after 4 years with the program. The first time I saw him I remember thinking that he should absolutely dominate every big man in college basketball and it just never happened.

Reactions: ulrey
If I were a Purdue coach, I would do everything I could to avoid bringing up Haas when discussing the program’s abilities to develop a player. Haas was a 7’0 or 7’2 (depending on the recruiting service), 275 lb behemoth that was a consensus top 100 player (top 75 according to some sites) that was “developed” into an undrafted player after 4 years with the program. The first time I saw him I remember thinking that he should absolutely dominate every big man in college basketball and it just never happened.
If he played 10 years ago he would be a top 10 player. The game changed - not much one can do about that.

Maybe Painter can point to players like JBJ who was top 25 - 5 star player who went...........UNDRAFTED.

GTFO.

What about Hanner Perea - a top 50 kid - what’s is he doing these days?

We can play this stupid back and forth game.

Maybe you can share all the NBA players that Archie has on his resume.

If he played 10 years ago he would be a top 10 player. The game changed - not much one can do about that.

Maybe Painter can point to players like JBJ who was top 25 - 5 star player who went...........UNDRAFTED.

GTFO.

JBJ also had three knee surgeries in a little over 4 years...

I can’t argue that Archie has any track record of putting players in the NBA. What I can argue is that he went to the Elite 8 with only 7 nationally ranked players on his roster. Their rankings were as follows: 82nd, 119th, 133rd, 202nd, 222nd, 282nd, and 355th. If that isn’t getting the most out of your players, I’m not sure what is. And he went to the Sweet 16 the following year without a player taller than 6’6”.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChoiceBeef
JM, your comment might be right another time but what I was writing about occurred on the IU rivals board; so much for your theory.

Last edited:
I think this would be true among all fan bases. For the most part all fans are going to defend their coach/players at all costs while they are with the organization, but after they are gone, most people will recognize their short comings.
if true...we are quite shallow

I can’t argue that Archie has any track record of putting players in the NBA. What I can argue is that he went to the Elite 8 with only 7 nationally ranked players on his roster. Their rankings were as follows: 82nd, 119th, 133rd, 202nd, 222nd, 282nd, and 355th. If that isn’t getting the most out of your players, I’m not sure what is. And he went to the Sweet 16 the following year without a player taller than 6’6”.
Since you keep swaying this thread back and forth to your advantage instead of the main topic. How many top 85 big men went in the draft? Haas was perfect for college and was one of the most efficient big men in the nation. JJ was more of that mold and got into the 1st round. CMP can only get you there and after that...its on you.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
I like the fact that Goody has been an impact trainer for some of our young Boilers! We need to keep him in our back pocket for future recruits out of Ft Wayne. He has helped out Biggie and Haas tremendously.

JM, your comment might be right another time but what I was writing about occurred on the IU rivals board; so much for your theory.

No doubt you are correct and I know that this board is a Rivals community, but the Peegs free board is about as low-rent as a bball message board can get.

If you want to get a free-board, more realistic sense of where the IU fanbase stands, I would suggest either the Hoosier Sports Nation or the Btown Banners boards.

Both are far more active than the Peegs free board, and far more insightful and self-aware.

Since you keep swaying this thread back and forth to your advantage instead of the main topic. How many top 85 big men went in the draft? Haas was perfect for college and was one of the most efficient big men in the nation. JJ was more of that mold and got into the 1st round. CMP can only get you there and after that...its on you.

I guess it would depend on your definition of big men and which draft years you’re talking about but in 2018 there were 14 players 6’10 or taller drafted with 5 of them being top 10 picks. I’m not going to get too in depth on past drafts but Anthony Davis, Anthony Bennett, Cody Zeller, and Nerlens Noel are some names that come to mind off the top of my head.

Your post is on point.

At the risk of generalizing, I believe that fan bases defend their coaches to an extreme on opposing message boards, and that the same posters rip the same coach apart on their home board.

I know that Crean was destroyed on the reputable IU boards during the last two years of his tenure when he began consistently missing on high level in-state recruits.
I know a lot of folks believe IU is one of those "preferred jobs", but when you look at the folks who turned it down, and who has coached there since RMK left, it's really not. I think Crean's mistake is that he thought he'd be there forever and really should have left after four years. With Crean, his ego got in the way big time.

TJD officially cancels his Purdue visit.
Thank God because I am tired of this dance that we are in the picture. Love the article talking about how he says “he isn’t a lock to IU”. Yeah sure buddy and @Heller isn’t trolling the free boards to start a fight

Thank God because I am tired of this dance that we are in the picture. Love the article talking about how he says “he isn’t a lock to IU”. Yeah sure buddy and @Heller isn’t trolling the free boards to start a fight
I never have trolled free boards or any other board to,start a fight. Doesn't mean I can't spot a troll when I see one. Particularly ones who say they know more than Brian.

I guess it would depend on your definition of big men and which draft years you’re talking about but in 2018 there were 14 players 6’10 or taller drafted with 5 of them being top 10 picks. I’m not going to get too in depth on past drafts but Anthony Davis, Anthony Bennett, Cody Zeller, and Nerlens Noel are some names that come to mind off the top of my head.

Anthony Davis is a stud. Period

As for the others you have named:

Anthony Bennett is one of the biggest flops ever....Zeller has not done much....and the jury is still out on Noel. So I really don't see your point.

Anthony Davis is a stud. Period

As for the others you have named:

Anthony Bennett is one of the biggest flops ever....Zeller has not done much....and the jury is still out on Noel. So I really don't see your point.

Then I’d suggest going back and reading the post I responded to. The poster was insinuating that top 85 big men don’t get drafted. I was providing examples of why he’s incorrect.

The surgeries may have had a minor part in JBJ not getting drafted, but the fact remains he was undersized for his NBA "natural" position, he wasn't quick enough to play the point, and as an Indiana Legend (in his own mind), Dan Dakich said it best when he pointed out Jr. couldn't guard a folding chair. Jr's largest detriment was the guy who coached him in HS, who centered the offense around his son.

The surgeries may have had a minor part in JBJ not getting drafted, but the fact remains he was undersized for his NBA "natural" position, he wasn't quick enough to play the point, and as an Indiana Legend (in his own mind), Dan Dakich said it best when he pointed out Jr. couldn't guard a folding chair. Jr's largest detriment was the guy who coached him in HS, who centered the offense around his son.

I agree with that. He was a good scorer, but not big enough or quick enough to do it effectively at the pro level. Also not long enough or quick enough to play great defense. Now the lateral quickness may have been effected by the surgeries, as you said, but he likely still wouldn't have been quick enough, and definitely not big enough to make an impact in the NBA.

ADVERTISEMENT