ADVERTISEMENT

This years 8 man rotation.

Sir plz let’s not go there now you seem to be trying to pick an argument and I’m not gonna give you the response so how about this you will find out what he has been doing when season starts plz leave me be
Not at all Treed...no arguments needed. Just wondering if Nojel worked with a free throw coach over the summer.

Don't respond to this provocation. Twin has mode several posts in the past 2-3 months about this same topic, and each time you responded that Nojel is working to improve his FT. Either he doesn't read people's responses, or he doesn't want to believe what he reads, or he is just being an ass.
I have not made several posts about this in the past few months. Probably not one since the previous season. And I have no reason to be an "ass". Why you dogging me about this?

Not at all Treed...no arguments needed. Just wondering if Nojel worked with a free throw coach over the summer.
. I just thought your comment seemed pretty incentive he has heard enough about his shooting and FTs so have I and enough is enough now. No his mother has been working with with him while he was home and while at school he works on his own everyday or with some of his teammates. He’s had plenty of time to work on those areas and both are increasingly better. Reps and more reps shooting same way each and every time fixing the hitch that was so noticeable. He has been working very hard and not just on his shot but his whole game all summer day and night it’s paying off. Confidence is back was kinda lost at that time when you not playing.

Sorry, but I'm not being an ass Treed. I hope he hits every one he shoots. And if I'm concerned about the team, I'm concerned about all the players and with those coming back, what areas they've improved on.
All these kids have been putting an enormous amount of time working on their games all of them looking good too you will see what they all have been doing this off season when season starts gonna be impressed.

Personally, I'd prefer EB be the sixth man and replace whichever of HAARMS or Wheeler gets subbed out first. I like Wheelers upside.

I'm simply concerned with how much rebounding the team will have in a lineup without Boudreaux.

I'm simply concerned with how much rebounding the team will have in a lineup without Boudreaux.

Nojel Eastern is an excellent rebounder, was the best rebounder on the team during conference play according to the advanced stats. Grabbed a higher % of available rebounds when he was on the court than any other Boilermaker last year.

Reactions: Gary Boiler

Should be better rebounding at every position except the 4. Carsen = Carsen, Nojel better rebounder than PJ or Dakota and Cline better than PJ, probably not as good as DM. Haarms is a better rebounder than IH.

Will miss Vince on the offensive glass but Nojel has shown he can do some of that and hopefully Matty H’s increased strength and size improves his efficiency on the offensive glass.

Like 1972, I am sure EB will start right from the first game, and for good reason. He was ranked as the 13th most complete player in the nation last year, and he will be a force inside for us. The more I read about him the more I expect from him. I think he will become a fan favorite quickly and a team leader, I expect Carsen, Nojel, and Evan to be the face of this team and probably the captains.

Like 1972, I am sure EB will start right from the first game, and for good reason. He was ranked as the 13th most complete player in the nation last year, and he will be a force inside for us. The more I read about him the more I expect from him. I think he will become a fan favorite quickly and a team leader, I expect Carsen, Nojel, and Evan to be the face of this team and probably the captains.

I would throw Cline in as a captain this year instead of EB.....he is a senior.

EB will be a Captain next year....when Boogie and Eastern turn Pro.

Reactions: mathboy
Should be better rebounding at every position except the 4. Carsen = Carsen, Nojel better rebounder than PJ or Dakota and Cline better than PJ, probably not as good as DM. Haarms is a better rebounder than IH.

Will miss Vince on the offensive glass but Nojel has shown he can do some of that and hopefully Matty H’s increased strength and size improves his efficiency on the offensive glass.
I’m not sure how much you no about EB but I’m telling you that guy is a force on the boards. He will fit right in playing in the big 10. He’s physical he’s a work horse he’s a junk yard dog on the glass. He can play my son has been telling me how tough he is rebounding at the 4 position

I’m not sure how much you no about EB but I’m telling you that guy is a force on the boards. He will fit right in playing in the big 10. He’s physical he’s a work horse he’s a junk yard dog on the glass. He can play my son has been telling me how tough he is rebounding at the 4 position

That’s great to hear. I know from watching a little film and seeing his stats he was a solid rebounder at Dartmouth. It’s always hard to say how things will translate, but effort and toughness seem to carry over. Vince was a gifted offensive rebounder when he was asked to do so, but I’m not sure that rebounding was something he really hung his hat on.

IMO Eastern becoming an offensive threat to take pressure off Edwards is the biggest key for the coming season. That and Haarms taking a big step at the 5.
Totally agree... if he can post... hit FT’s ... rebound and defend... we can get by w/o an outside shot

Just my two cents from an outsider's perspective:

Unless I'm forgetting someone, there are only three players on Purdue's upcoming roster that are capable of being primary ball handlers, and only two or three that can guard smaller, quick players.

That means that as one of them, even as a freshman Eric Hunter will have pressure on him to play rotation minutes right away, and there is a depth concern if either Eastern or Edwards misses any time. No real concern if Hunter is up to the task and no one misses time, but it is a real question whether a 150 composite ranked freshman who was more of the scorer than distributor on his high school team is up to the role. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Seems like Purdue has much, much better depth with their upcoming front line.
Agree with your assumption here and most rational Purdue fans would as well. I just don’t think his rotational minutes will be heavy minus an injury, foul trouble, or if he has a night where he is hitting lots of shots. His minutes will probably mirror Nojel’s from last year and possibly less hinging in Stefanovic’s progress.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
My 27 cents worth. Evan didn't choose Purdue over his other offers just to come off the bench. I'm not afraid of Williams weight issues. I highly doubt Haarms plays much more than 20 mins a game. Look at the min of our last 3 centers. I have a lot more confidence in Dow than many here. Painter has shown in the past a willingness to play freshmen, so I do not believe any of our players will redshirt. Yes they could benefit from red shirting , but I highly doubt they will . I also believe our new players will surprise a lot more than expected and will be starting a lot sooner than expected.

the key to my thoughts is that Painter is recruiting much more talented players than he recruited 5 years ago. They all are very talented and will force their way onto the floor and earn their minutes! They are all ready and prepared to show they are worthy.

Reactions: Boilerpointe81
My 27 cents worth. Evan didn't choose Purdue over his other offers just to come off the bench. I'm not afraid of Williams weight issues. I highly doubt Haarms plays much more than 20 mins a game. Look at the min of our last 3 centers. I have a lot more confidence in Dow than many here. Painter has shown in the past a willingness to play freshmen, so I do not believe any of our players will redshirt. Yes they could benefit from red shirting , but I highly doubt they will . I also believe our new players will surprise a lot more than expected and will be starting a lot sooner than expected.

Haarms played over 17 min/game last year. That was with Haas starting, who played 23 min/game.. Haarms will play every bit of 20 min/game this year. Who's gonna take his minutes?

Wol, I know that you know this roster, so either your post isn’t very well thought out or isn’t very well articulated (the third option is that I’m just not understanding, which is a possibility).

Whether Evan chose Purdue with the intent of coming off the bench or not is a relevant. I personally think he’ll start, but that will only happen if he’s one of the best five. This seems like a year where Matt could try some different starting combinations and any one aside from Carson could find themselves coming off of the bed.

Comparing Haarms minutes to prior centers is irrelevant. Matt would have loved to have played both AJ and Isaac more minutes, but Issac‘s size and AJ‘s conditioning prevented him from doing so. It does not appear that Matt will face either of those issues.

You are correct in that Matt will play freshman, but if no one redshirts, who loses minutes? There are only 200 minutes in a regulation game and you’d have to think that Carsen and Nojel will play as many minutes as they can handle. There just aren’t enough minutes to go around.

Wol, I know that you know this roster, so either your post isn’t very well thought out or isn’t very well articulated (the third option is that I’m just not understanding, which is a possibility).

Whether Evan chose Purdue with the intent of coming off the bench or not is a relevant. I personally think he’ll start, but that will only happen if he’s one of the best five. This seems like a year where Matt could try some different starting combinations and any one aside from Carson could find themselves coming off of the bed.

Comparing Haarms minutes to prior centers is irrelevant. Matt would have loved to have played both AJ and Isaac more minutes, but Issac‘s size and AJ‘s conditioning prevented him from doing so. It does not appear that Matt will face either of those issues.

You are correct in that Matt will play freshman, but if no one redshirts, who loses minutes? There are only 200 minutes in a regulation game and you’d have to think that Carsen and Nojel will play as many minutes as they can handle. There just aren’t enough minutes to go around.

a given - this is not a Senior laden team. I'm not so sure that Painter likes the same players this board is in love with. and for that reason, I believe he's going to use a lot of different combinations in the preseason to find that right combination. In doing so, I have to believe he will give out a lot more minutes to bench players early in the season. I believe once the BIG 10 season starts, you will see a set starting line-up and rotation . but before that, I think we could see many variations.

As for minutes given out, I don't believe Edwards or Eastern will play as many minutes early in the season as they will in the second half. I fully expect to see some blow-out games and Painter sitting his known starters rather than padding their stats.

last year was Haas' senior year, and this will be Haarm's second year. I don't expect haarms to play more than an average of 25 minutes. the question is, will Painter give those remaining 15 minutes to Dow, Williams or Evan? or a combination of all three? Will he go with the rim protector in Dow? or will he go small ball with Evan at the 5?

who will start at the 4? I believe Evan will be the starter at the 4 at the beginning of the year, but Williams is also a very talented player. Is Williams talented enough to force his way into gaining starter's minutes? I believe the answer is yes, although I'm not sure if that will happen. Evan is a scorer as is Williams. Will Painter use their offensive scoring talents? or will they take a lesser scoring role?

Wheeler is a wild card. I'd like him to play at the three. But I realize he could play at the 3 or 4. if he plays at the 3, would he start over Cline? if he plays at the 4, would he start over Evan or Williams? is Wheeler a potential starter? or a super utility guy to bring off the bench? Should Wheeler start over Cline? That would be a huge shift in Painter's system. that would indicate he wants more rebounding over perimeter shooting. We shall see.

my track record / opinion on Cline is long and it hasn't changed much. I'm not his #1 fan. I'm also not a fan of the 3 guard system. Cline can shoot. But so can many other Boilers. Will painter keep his offense of spreading the ball around? or will he allow Edwards and Eastern to take more shots? if Eastern and Edwards take more shots, they would come at the expense of Cline. And if Cline isn't going to take many shots, would it be better to replace him with Wheeler? on the other hand, Cline is a known commodity. We may see Cline play fewer minutes in the preseason as painter uses his minutes to evaluate younger players and combinations. And Cline may see greater player time later in the year.

and then you have Hunter and Sasha. both are very talented players. Sasha and Wheeler were invited to play on a USA summer team. Maybe that will shed some light on what position and minutes they will play for Purdue.

I have a lot of confidence in Eastern and Edwards. I'm the guy who said Eastern should start over PJ knowing that PJ was already an experienced and talented player. I had that much confidence in Eastern's talent and work ethic..

and that is the dilemma. This current team has a lot of talent. this team has a lot more talent than many previous teams. I'm just not sure how that talent will play out. Unlike previous years, I'm not sure what the right combination will be. I think we have seen in the past, once Painter finds the combination he likes, he doesn't usually change it much. At this time, Painter has the option of going in several different directions. but to decide which option is best, I believe Painter will give out a lot of minutes early to a lot of different players. As a result, I believe the average minutes in the preseason will differ a lot verses the BIg 10 season.

there's a lot of unanswered questions. but I do believe the talent is there.

So this thread is telling me our "beat my head on a desk themes" this year will be:

1. Does Cline play good defense?
2. Does Grady play minutes because it's a bad sign if a walk-on plays?
3. "I am being told..."
4. Does Cline play bad defense?
5. Don't poke the bear.
6. We're athletic, why don't we play zone?

So this thread is telling me our "beat my head on a desk themes" this year will be:

1. Does Cline play good defense?
2. Does Grady play minutes because it's a bad sign if a walk-on plays?
3. "I am being told..."
4. Does Cline play bad defense?
5. Don't poke the bear.
6. We're athletic, why don't we play zone?

Let me ask you a question on #2. If you were the head coach of a Top 25 program, and you were recruiting for a player for the 4 spot as a grad transfer to come off the bench for meaningful minutes, would Grady Eifert be on your radar?

Reactions: nagemj02
Let me ask you a question on #2. If you were the head coach of a Top 25 program, and you were recruiting for a player for the 4 spot as a grad transfer to come off the bench for meaningful minutes, would Grady Eifert be on your radar?

I mean Drew Brees didn't get recruited by anyone good - should he not have had the chance to play because of optics?

I think Grady came in and played meaningful minutes last year. Do I think he will play 15 min a game? No. But I think you're kidding yourself if you don't even include him within the rotation - especially in the first half of the season. We have a very inexperienced team.

I mean Drew Brees didn't get recruited by anyone good - should he not have had the chance to play because of optics?

I think Grady came in and played meaningful minutes last year. Do I think he will play 15 min a game? No. But I think you're kidding yourself if you don't even include him within the rotation - especially in the first half of the season. We have a very inexperienced team.

Nice job avoiding directly answering my question! And Drew Brees wasn't a walk on with questionable talent. Assessment of Grady's talent level isn't "optics". He wouldn't be actively recruited by power 5 schools, and you know that.

Although I think Grady did a nice job doing what was asked of him last year, it would have been better to have more talented depth at 4. That was my point. We shouldn't have had to rely on Grady for meaningful minutes. Top 25 programs don't generally rely on a walk on with Grady's talent level as a regular backup in the rotation. He should be there for emergencies and mop up duty. Personally, I think it kept Purdue from advancing further in the tournament after Haas got hurt.

What makes the difference who recruited Grady or how he was rated coming out of High School. Its what kind of player he is now, that's all that matters.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
What makes the difference who recruited Grady or how he was rated coming out of High School. Its what kind of player he is now, that's all that matters.

And what kind of player is that? It's a good emergency backup. I'm sure Grady is a great kid. But he's not a Big Ten level getting consistent minutes caliber of player.

Reactions: nagemj02
Nice job avoiding directly answering my question! And Drew Brees wasn't a walk on with questionable talent. Assessment of Grady's talent level isn't "optics". He wouldn't be actively recruited by power 5 schools, and you know that.

Although I think Grady did a nice job doing what was asked of him last year, it would have been better to have more talented depth at 4. That was my point. We shouldn't have had to rely on Grady for meaningful minutes. Top 25 programs don't generally rely on a walk on with Grady's talent level as a regular backup in the rotation. He should be there for emergencies and mop up duty. Personally, I think it kept Purdue from advancing further in the tournament after Haas got hurt.

The point is Grady is not coming out of high school - so no, I really don't care who recruited him, or didn't.

My point is we have an inexperienced team and Grady is one of our few veterans. I don't think there's a question that if Painter wasn't afraid to play him last year, there's no reason to think he would be this year. You said yourself you thought Grady did a nice job doing what was asked of him last year - him playing 5-10 minutes will not win or lose games for us. I'm not sure the logic on saying Grady playing kept Purdue from advancing further (when we had 3 other senior starters still playing - and quite frankly, their final game was not one to remember them by).

There's a whole host of things that fall as "more important" to having a good season before the words "Grady Eifert playing time" would roll off your tongue.

And what kind of player is that? It's a good emergency backup. I'm sure Grady is a great kid. But he's not a Big Ten level getting consistent minutes caliber of player.
We needed him when Haas went down and he came in and did what was expected of him. Yeah he is a walk on but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the skills to contribute when asked.

I wouldn't expect him to score 20 points but being able to play smart is also very valuable.

The point is Grady is not coming out of high school - so no, I really don't care who recruited him, or didn't.

My point is we have an inexperienced team and Grady is one of our few veterans. I don't think there's a question that if Painter wasn't afraid to play him last year, there's no reason to think he would be this year. You said yourself you thought Grady did a nice job doing what was asked of him last year - him playing 5-10 minutes will not win or lose games for us. I'm not sure the logic on saying Grady playing kept Purdue from advancing further (when we had 3 other senior starters still playing - and quite frankly, their final game was not one to remember them by).

There's a whole host of things that fall as "more important" to having a good season before the words "Grady Eifert playing time" would roll off your tongue.

You're apparently missing my point completely. We should have never been in a position to have to use Grady Eifert for meaningful minutes. There was not adequate depth at the 4 spot to get the most out of the team in general. 5-10 minutes of a game with zero scoring threats from the 4 spot hurts, as it puts undo defensive pressure on the players that do threaten to score. Plus, the number of minutes Vince had to play, especially while trying to recover from a sprained ankle was not good. Then when Haas went down, there was no depth at all.

You're apparently missing my point completely. We should have never been in a position to have to use Grady Eifert for meaningful minutes. There was not adequate depth at the 4 spot to get the most out of the team in general. 5-10 minutes of a game with zero scoring threats from the 4 spot hurts, as it puts undo defensive pressure on the players that do threaten to score. Plus, the number of minutes Vince had to play, especially while trying to recover from a sprained ankle was not good. Then when Haas went down, there was no depth at all.

Again, I think you're taking a relatively minor issue and blowing it up into some overarching problem.

How many teams have a starter-worthy backup waiting in the wings for 4 year starters to go down with a fluke injury? You said Grady did well - so I'm not sure what you're expectation is. I wouldn't say Grady was any more/less productive than other "recruited" players who came in to provide limited relief minutes. Most inexperienced bench players - that were recruited with scholarships - do not provide instant production when an injury occurs in the NCAA Tournament. Not sure how Grady's situation turned into the scapegoat here.

A team facing a season-ending injury in the NCAA Tournament to a player that is critical to the team's success on both offense and defense is not going to be "saved" by a backup 4.

And again, in terms of question marks next season - there's a whole host I can think of before I contemplate Grady's potential playing time.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
I prefer playing talent over experience. the only reason Grady played as much as he did last year was because Taylor and Ewing didn't. if Taylor or Ewing had stepped up to their ability/hype/role, Grady wouldn't have seen 1/10th the minutes he was given.

just because Grady received a lot of minutes last year does not mean he should have or is deserving of seeing that many minutes this year.
in some other thread, it was said that Haarms averaged 17 mins last year. I would expect both Evans and Williams to average at least that same amount this year - possibly more..

Reactions: purduepat1969
I prefer playing talent over experience. the only reason Grady played as much as he did last year was because Taylor and Ewing didn't. if Taylor or Ewing had stepped up to their ability/hype/role, Grady wouldn't have seen 1/10th the minutes he was given.

just because Grady received a lot of minutes last year does not mean he should have or is deserving of seeing that many minutes this year.
in some other thread, it was said that Haarms averaged 17 mins last year. I would expect both Evans and Williams to average at least that same amount this year - possibly more..
Totally disagree with your statement that had Taylor or Ewing been better, Grady wouldn't have played. Tell me just what the kid did wrong when he came on to the court? He busted his arse, he played solid defense, he helped the team....He earned those minutes and my guess he would have found play time if those others were available. He is a Painter type player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT