ADVERTISEMENT

This years 8 man rotation.

Jan 20, 2011
Who do you guys think are the 5 starters and first 3 off the bench?

1.) Edwards
2.) Cline
3.) Eastern
4.) Haarms
5.) Eifert

6.)Wheeler
7.) Stefanovich
8.) Beudraux

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermaker24
What have you guys heard about Wheeler and Stefanovich as far as what they've looked like? Have they put on weight? Seems like their redshirt progress could be a huge difference in the coming season.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
IMO Eastern becoming an offensive threat to take pressure off Edwards is the biggest key for the coming season. That and Haarms taking a big step at the 5.
He will he’s has more offensive game than he was able to show. More min more opportunities now. I’m hearing carsen and Nojel looking good in that back court in practice. He’s putting a lot of work in his game this off season. Looking good.

Opening lineup may not look like this but I think it will eventually settle into

HAARMS
Wheeler
Nojel Eastern
Cline
Carsen

Bourdreax
Hunter
Sasha

Potentially one of Dow or TreWil could play some backup center minutes, will have to see how they look during the season first. They might both redshirt if Bourdreax and Wheeler can handle minutes at the 5.

Opening lineup may not look like this but I think it will eventually settle into

HAARMS
Wheeler
Nojel Eastern
Cline
Carsen

Bourdreax
Hunter
Sasha

Potentially one of Dow or TreWil could play some backup center minutes, will have to see how they look during the season first. They might both redshirt if Bourdreax and Wheeler can handle minutes at the 5.
Haarms and Wheeler are both really light come Big ten play. Is EB a thicker kid that can bang a little?

Haarms and Wheeler are both really light come Big ten play. Is EB a thicker kid that can bang a little?

Yeah, Bourdreax seems like he has some strength behind him to me, but just a guess.

But anyways, Nojels versatility and athleticism at the 4 is what I think really will allow Purdue to go smaller at the 5 with Wheeler and EB.

If Painter has Nojel and 3 of Carsen/Cline/Hunter/Sasha All on the floor together with Wheeler at the 5, then they just switch all the screens and are a terror defensively.

Nojel grabbed more rebounds per 100 possessions and had a higher rebound % than anyone else on Purdue last year in conference play too, remember. He's built like a college 4 anyways.

Against low block post scoring big men like Nick Ward, Kaleb Wesson, and others like them in the big ten, Purdue is probably going to throw doubles at them regardless of who is playing center anyways so going smaller against them doesn't change anything IMO.

Reactions: ghbucs
How would you define "important" for Eifert's role this season? He's a walk-on for a reason: he's not as talented or as athletic as the scholarship guys.

If he's the 8th or 9th man, I could understand that but to think that he needs to play a key role in Purdue's NCAA Tournament chances is not realistic to me. Eifert's role won't make or break Purdue's season.

I think he's either the 5th or 6th best player.
Carsen is obviously better, maybe Haarms, Maybe Nojel, and Wheeler as a big maybe depending on development. As of last year none of these players were better than Evan the year before he sat out, and I'd like to believe Evan got better as well. It's very possible all of these players improved tremendously, and are better, but 5th or 6th best? I would say Evan is as good as Vince as a sophomore if I had to estimate.

He will he’s has more offensive game than he was able to show. More min more opportunities now. I’m hearing carsen and Nojel looking good in that back court in practice. He’s putting a lot of work in his game this off season. Looking good.
What I am hearing is that the biggest improvement is coming from simply having an offense built more to the strengths of Nojel and Haarms this season. Last year it was a bit of square peg/round hole and trying to make things happen when they could (ala: Nojel grabbing great offensive boards and playing great defense).

1.) Edwards
2.) Cline
3.) Eastern
4.) Haarms
5.) Eifert

6.)Wheeler
7.) Stefanovich
8.) Beudraux

G: Carsen
G: Nojel
G: Cline
F: Evan
C: Haarms

Wheeler
Williams
Sasha/Hunter (whoever can provide the offensive punch necessary off the bench).

I think Eifert sees minutes if guys aren’t playing hard and aren’t exexuting the offense. He won’t score points but he’ll make the ball move on offense, rebound, and play tough as nails defense at the 4.

Starters:
1. Eastern - obvious choice, best defender, best all handler, great rebounder
2. Edwards - obvious choice
3. Cline - Will play less than half the minutes but will start
4. Boudreaux - maybe better than advertised, will score and rebound
5. Haarms - Obvious choice, will score much more than last year. Great at defending the rim.​

Bench:
6. Wheeler - May split time with Cline and might be the in at the end of games
7. Hunter - Offensive punch off the bench
8. Williams - Raw rebounder. Might go in to shake things up.
9. Eifert - Will settle down a team that is getting shelled. (I know we are supposed to stop at eight, but Eifert will play this year)​

Carsen is obviously better, maybe Haarms, Maybe Nojel, and Wheeler as a big maybe depending on development. As of last year none of these players were better than Evan the year before he sat out, and I'd like to believe Evan got better as well. It's very possible all of these players improved tremendously, and are better, but 5th or 6th best? I would say Evan is as good as Vince as a sophomore if I had to estimate.
Question do you personally no any of these players and what they have been doing in the off season. Development what does that mean exactly just curious. What I no is this that they all have been putting in some major work on their games to get better and it will show. You or nobody else are in the gym with them late night practices weight room open gym they all grinding so just MAYBE they Nojel and wheeler are better than what you think . 12 min a game I’ll reiterate what did you really see from my son a kid who figured out a way to get more min by defending and rebounding this year he’ll get more min which will produce more production offensively thst you can believe he’s more than just a defender and rebounder he’s a basketball player that’s been putting a lot I mean a lot of work on his game and not just shooting. Don’t judge a book by its cover.

What I am hearing is that the biggest improvement is coming from simply having an offense built more to the strengths of Nojel and Haarms this season. Last year it was a bit of square peg/round hole and trying to make things happen when they could (ala: Nojel grabbing great offensive boards and playing great defense).
What I’m hearing is that Nojel shot is pure and he’s shootings FTs really well and making them. I’m hearing team offense will look different more spacing lots more ball screens we’ll see when season starts won’t we

How would you define "important" for Eifert's role this season? He's a walk-on for a reason: he's not as talented or as athletic as the scholarship guys.

If he's the 8th or 9th man, I could understand that but to think that he needs to play a key role in Purdue's NCAA Tournament chances is not realistic to me. Eifert's role won't make or break Purdue's season.
Kids like Eifert in a transition season can make all the difference in the world IMO. Senior. Experience. Glue.

Evan Should start all year, every game, at either either forward position or center. He is probably the 2nd or 3rd best player.

In what world, barring injury, would EB start at center? Assuming he stays healthy Haarms will start every game this year.

From the film I’ve seen on Evan I really like him as a player. I’m not sure he’s as fluid of an athlete as Vince was as a sophomore but he’s probably a little stronger and otherwise the comparison seems valid.

His floor seems to be pretty high, you know you’re going to get a strong, hard working player with a solid skill set, but I’d hope that he’s at best our 4th best player to start the year behind CE, NE and MH. If Cline is better than him it probably means Ryan has gotten a lot better. If Wheeler reaches the point where he is better than EB at some point during the season it’s probably a great sign for the team as EB as your 5th or 6th best player means you have a heck of a team.

Starters:
1. Eastern - obvious choice, best defender, best all handler, great rebounder
2. Edwards - obvious choice
3. Cline - Will play less than half the minutes but will start
4. Boudreaux - maybe better than advertised, will score and rebound
5. Haarms - Obvious choice, will score much more than last year. Great at defending the rim.​

Bench:
6. Wheeler - May split time with Cline and might be the in at the end of games
7. Hunter - Offensive punch off the bench
8. Williams - Raw rebounder. Might go in to shake things up.
9. Eifert - Will settle down a team that is getting shelled. (I know we are supposed to stop at eight, but Eifert will play this year)​
I think this is roughly right. Seems that CE, NE and MH are locks for the top five. Cline and EB are locks for the top eight. I’d hope that Wheeler is in the top eight, but the last two spots seem completely up for grabs.

Eifert made a huge jump as a junior, I think he needs to make the same type of jump between his jr and sr seasons to stay in the mix.

I think Sasha and Hunter will be fighting for minutes based on their development and the team need. Sasha probably plays when Cline is out and we need another deep threat. Hunter plays when we need someone besides Carsen who can create his own shot.

If Williams and Dow are pushing for minutes in a situation where everyone stays healthy it’s a good sign for the team. I suspect one of them logs 10 to 12 minutes a game at the backup five with Haarms playing 25 and EB playing the spot minutes there. If neither of those two are ready it forces EB to play a small ball five.

Last edited:
I think this is roughly right. Seems that CE, NE and MH are locks for the top five. Cline and EB are licks for the top eight. I’d hope that Wheeler is in the top eight, but the last two spots seem completely up for grabs.

Eifert made a huge jump as a junior, I think he needs to make the same type of jump between his jr and sr seasons to stay in the mix.

I think Sasha and Hunter will be fighting for minutes based on their development and the team need. Sasha probably plays when Cline is out and we need another deep threat. Hunter plays when we need someone besides Carsen who can create his own shot.

If Williams and Dow are pushing for minutes in a situation where everyone stays healthy it’s a good sign for the team. I suspect one of them logs 10 to 12 minutes a game at the backup five with Haarms playing 25 and EB playing the spot minutes there. If neither of those two are ready it forces EB to play a small ball five.
Does anyone redshirt?

Starters:
1. Eastern
2. Edwards
3. Cline
4. Boudreaux
5. Haarms

Bench:
6. Wheeler- Could be starting by Big Ten or start depending on match ups.
7. Sasha- Will get minutes at the 1,2 and 3...will be very valuable this year
8. Hunter - Offensive punch off the bench
9. Williams - Raw rebounder. Might go in to shake things up.
10. Eifert - Mr. Reliable
11. Dow- Redshirt but could be pulled at any time with any team injury
12. Luce- Signing Autographs and Posing for the ladies

Should be an exciting year to see this athletic team mold together and learn to win.

If Boogie can play calm and not get frustrated when he gets double teamed or the focus of being defended and pass the ball we will do well.

Boiler Up!

Probably right but Eifert will have to play an important roll this year IMO if we're going to be a tourney team.

No. If that's the case, Purdue won't be very good this year. No offense to Eifert. But a Top 25 team should not depend on a walk-on with his level of talent. He works hard. But he's just not Big Ten level caliber talent.

Reactions: nagemj02 and ghbucs
No. If that's the case, Purdue won't be very good this year. No offense to Eifert. But a Top 25 team should not depend on a walk-on with his level of talent. He works hard. But he's just not Big Ten level caliber talent.

This. He's just not that talented.

I think people are really underrating the incoming guys. EB is a starter. From what I have seen from Wheeler, he can play the 3 if Cline isn't working out. Don't sleep on Sasha....to me he's a Dakota/Ryan type but looks to have more athleticism than both and is that caliber of shooter with room to grow.

Dowuona is a RS candidate....but he's also the only other rim protector. I wouldn't be shocked if he saw 10 mins a night at the 5 as the backup to Haarms...and Haarms having to tough it out and play 30mins a game.

Williams is an enigma to me. If he can get his weight under control, he's the best recruit in this class hands down. super underrated because of the weight. He's maybe the best incoming re bounder we've had in awhile....yes, better than biggie. Shoots and passes like a SF. He'd benefit from a RS year....but I also think he'll benefit from 10-15 minutes a night. He's a guy who could easily snag 10 RBs in those 15 minutes.

Hunter will likely take some seasoning. I think Sasha is more ready to contribute as a backup than he is form what i;ve seen. I think its important all of these guys get work and get rotated in though...we will need their experience next year when we lose Edwards. I think the starters outside of Cline will all be 30+ minute guys. I can see us playing everybody else though in slim minutes....outside of Sasha and Wheeler...I think those guys will be the direct subs for Cline. I would say Wheeler would get 10-15 in relief of EB...but EB has that tough guy Brian Cardinal look going...he can go 35 no problem!

If Eifert's starting, the team's in trouble.

To start the season:

1. Eastern
2. Edwards
3. Cline
4. Boudreaux
5. Haarms

Reinforcements:

6. Wheeler
7. Hunter
8. Williams
Agree on Eifert. Kid plays his ass off and gave us some really productive minutes last year, but if you're starting a walk-on, then that's a red flag.
I'm also not sold on Cline starting. I just think he's too one dimensional and is a huge defensive liability.

Evan Should start all year, every game, at either either forward position or center. He is probably the 2nd or 3rd best player.
Guys that go to Dartmouth don't come to a top level B10 team and immediately become the 2nd or 3rd best player. There's a reason he was at Dartmouth.

Pretty sure he had P5 offers out of high school, though not from us.
He had some P5 offers but not from basketball schools. His top 3 offers were probably DePaul, Iowa and Iowa State.
I see him being a poor man's Brian Cardinal (with the bad hair to match). He'll probably play some pick n pop, scrap on the boards, but a below-the-rim 6'8 guy who does a little bit of everything. Just not sure how well he'll be able to compete athletically.

He had some P5 offers but not from basketball schools. His top 3 offers were probably DePaul, Iowa and Iowa State.
I see him being a poor man's Brian Cardinal (with the bad hair to match). He'll probably play some pick n pop, scrap on the boards, but a below-the-rim 6'8 guy who does a little bit of everything. Just not sure how well he'll be able to compete athletically.
If he doesn't have a big impact, we will be in trouble. At this point he is the best big from a scoring standpoint and the best rebounder. We need him to be as good as advertised.

Reactions: nagemj02
If he doesn't have a big impact, we will be in trouble. At this point he is the best big from a scoring standpoint and the best rebounder. We need him to be as good as advertised.

If Haarms has improved his 3 pt shot (I seem to remember everything thinking he was the next Dirk....), he would be deadly as a pick n pop player, like Wagner from MeatChicken. The other guy I want to see is T Williams in the high screen. He's got a nice jumper and has really good handles for a big. Could pose some nice matchup problems for another team's big.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Coming out of high school, Evan had offers from Penn State, Iowa, and Northwestern. Also Marquette, & DePaul. He was recruited by but did not get offers from MSU, UM, Purdue, and Wisconsin. Later He was ranked as the 13th-most complete player in college basketball for 2016-17 by Bleacher Report. But you know... he went to Dartmouth, so I'm sure he won't amount to much (TIC).

If Haarms has improved his 3 pt shot (I seem to remember everything thinking he was the next Dirk....), he would be deadly as a pick n pop player, like Wagner from MeatChicken. The other guy I want to see is T Williams in the high screen. He's got a nice jumper and has really good handles for a big. Could pose some nice matchup problems for another team's big.
I would agree, IF Haarms has improved enough to become a three point shooter. We haven't seen that though. We have seen Evan shoot 40+% at the D1 level though. Williams may not even been ready to go Day 1. Too many questions marks around the other bigs not to think Evan will be our best scoring threat among bigs.

1.) Edwards
2.) Cline
3.) Eastern
4.) Haarms
5.) Eifert

6.)Wheeler
7.) Stefanovich
8.) Beudraux

Nothing against Eifert, but if he is starting for us then we in f#¢king trouble. I hope Cline will step up much more than he has. If he can't score and a liability for us on defense then he needs to be coming off the bench IMHO...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT