ADVERTISEMENT

This years 8 man rotation.

Coming out of high school, Evan had offers from Penn State, Iowa, and Northwestern. Also Marquette, & DePaul. He was recruited by but did not get offers from MSU, UM, Purdue, and Wisconsin. Later He was ranked as the 13th-most complete player in college basketball for 2016-17 by Bleacher Report. But you know... he went to Dartmouth, so I'm sure he won't amount to much (TIC).
Not to split hairs, but if you don't get an offer, can you really say someone was recruited? If you're actively recruiting someone (versus just keeping in touch and seeing if someone develops) that means you want them to come play for you. So, I don't think you can say he was recruited by MSU, UM, etc. They may have seen him play and talked to him but if they didn't extend an offer, then he didn't fit their caliber.

Not to split hairs, but if you don't get an offer, can you really say someone was recruited? If you're actively recruiting someone (versus just keeping in touch and seeing if someone develops) that means you want them to come play for you. So, I don't think you can say he was recruited by MSU, UM, etc. They may have seen him play and talked to him but if they didn't extend an offer, then he didn't fit their caliber.
When he decided to transfer, he was highly coveted by Purdue, Xavier, and later Louisville. That should tell you the kind of player he will be.

You know better than that. All it means is that they signed someone they liked better, not that they didn’t see him as good enough to play for them. If that were the case they would evaluate and move on.

Reactions: KisteK and Schnelk
Does anyone redshirt?

So the three possibilities for a redshirt are Hunter, Dow and Williams, correct? I’d say it’s likely that either Dow or Williams redshirt and would put Hunter at 50/50. I could be wrong and all three play this year. I don’t see a scenario in which all three redshirt.

Not to split hairs, but if you don't get an offer, can you really say someone was recruited?
Your position, not mine. I believe you are mistaken.

I can tell you that Purdue "recruited" Evan right out of high school. No, we did not make an offer at the time, perhaps because he told his Purdue recruiter he was not that interested and was looking at the Ivy League. Very common occurrence for a recruit to stop the recruiting process before it gets all the way to an offer. Also common for a school to recruit a kid and the school stops the process before an offer is made. It happens all the time. Keep in mind that most schools don't thrown offers around like Tom Crean did.

Your position, not mine. I believe you are mistaken.

I can tell you that Purdue "recruited" Evan right out of high school. No, we did not make an offer at the time, perhaps because he told his Purdue recruiter he was not that interested and was looking at the Ivy League. Very common occurrence for a recruit to stop the recruiting process before it gets all the way to an offer. Also common for a school to recruit a kid and the school stops the process before an offer is made. It happens all the time. Keep in mind that most schools don't thrown offers around like Tom Crean did.
My son and I no this kid my son played against this kid in high school in the sectional championship he was a problem this kid is a work horse he plays hard he’s physical he rebounds well he will not get bullied or pushed around. Went to that school I believe bcuz his mother and father went there. He did have power 5 offers he was heavily recruited he gonna help Purdue out a lot of you ask me. You are right what you saying about this kid bcuz he played against Jalen Brunson in HS as well ask him how tough he is. He will compete against anybody he won’t be a push over

So the three possibilities for a redshirt are Hunter, Dow and Williams, correct? I’d say it’s likely that either Dow or Williams redshirt and would put Hunter at 50/50. I could be wrong and all three play this year. I don’t see a scenario in which all three redshirt.
No way does Hunter redshirt unless injured. Offensive game is skilled enough to play and provide points. His time will hinge on his defensive mindset and ability to adjust.

Reactions: pboiler18
Just my two cents from an outsider's perspective:

Unless I'm forgetting someone, there are only three players on Purdue's upcoming roster that are capable of being primary ball handlers, and only two or three that can guard smaller, quick players.

That means that as one of them, even as a freshman Eric Hunter will have pressure on him to play rotation minutes right away, and there is a depth concern if either Eastern or Edwards misses any time. No real concern if Hunter is up to the task and no one misses time, but it is a real question whether a 150 composite ranked freshman who was more of the scorer than distributor on his high school team is up to the role. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Seems like Purdue has much, much better depth with their upcoming front line.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Question do you personally no any of these players and what they have been doing in the off season. Development what does that mean exactly just curious. What I no is this that they all have been putting in some major work on their games to get better and it will show. You or nobody else are in the gym with them late night practices weight room open gym they all grinding so just MAYBE they Nojel and wheeler are better than what you think . 12 min a game I’ll reiterate what did you really see from my son a kid who figured out a way to get more min by defending and rebounding this year he’ll get more min which will produce more production offensively thst you can believe he’s more than just a defender and rebounder he’s a basketball player that’s been putting a lot I mean a lot of work on his game and not just shooting. Don’t judge a book by its cover.
Im giving my case that in no way is Evan the 5th, or 6th best player, and giving my best evidence and predictions based on limited knowledge. Im in know way disparraging any player. I gave the example that perhaps Nojel is better, but that would be dependent on how much better he has gotten, Ive given that I dont l how much they have gotten better, but as of last season Evan was likely better than all said players. Im making the point that Evan is really good, leaving him out of the starting lineup is preposterous.

Im giving my case that in no way is Evan the 5th, or 6th best player, and giving my best evidence and predictions based on limited knowledge. Im in know way disparraging any player. I gave the example that perhaps Nojel is better, but that would be dependent on how much better he has gotten, Ive given that I dont l how much they have gotten better, but as of last season Evan was likely better than all said players. Im making the point that Evan is really good, leaving him out of the starting lineup is preposterous.
Fair point but last season was last season and a new season is upon us and speaking of my son he didn’t forget how to play basketball he just didn’t play much That’s all. All those players will help Purdue win games that you can best believe

If he stays healthy Evan will start and play a lot of minutes.Think some of you are really underestimating him!!

No way does Hunter redshirt unless injured. Offensive game is skilled enough to play and provide points. His time will hinge on his defensive mindset and ability to adjust.

You know that you don’t play under Matt P unless you can play defense. Hopefully you’re right and Hunter gets quality minutes, he may very well, but it won’t happen unless he can hold his own on D.

Just my two cents from an outsider's perspective:

Unless I'm forgetting someone, there are only three players on Purdue's upcoming roster that are capable of being primary ball handlers, and only two or three that can guard smaller, quick players.

That means that as one of them, even as a freshman Eric Hunter will have pressure on him to play rotation minutes right away, and there is a depth concern if either Eastern or Edwards misses any time. No real concern if Hunter is up to the task and no one misses time, but it is a real question whether a 150 composite ranked freshman who was more of the scorer than distributor on his high school team is up to the role. Maybe yes, maybe no.

Seems like Purdue has much, much better depth with their upcoming front line.

I have no problem with asking Nojel to D up on a smaller, quicker player. He will also bring the ball up for the 28 mpg he plays with Carsen handling most of the remainder. Unless we’re playing a pressure team Cline can bring it up five minutes a game. If Hunter can be counted on on D he’ll be fine handling the ball and on offense. PJ was lower rated coming out of HS and did fine as a freshman.

You know that you don’t play under Matt P unless you can play defense. Hopefully you’re right and Hunter gets quality minutes, he may very well, but it won’t happen unless he can hold his own on D.
Cline can't play defense yet painter will most likely start him and play him major minutes.

Not trying to disparage Evan. It's just a major leap from Dartmouth to the B10. I hope he is Brian Cardinal-like. If he can hit 3's, he's going to help space the floor for CE and Nojel to work isolations or PnP.

I was under the impression that Hunter was a pretty good defender? No?

I was under the impression that Hunter was a pretty good defender? No?
I have pretty much only heard about his scoring. He could have been a good defender in high school, but there is a big difference between single A high school and the Big Ten. Even if his fundamentals are there defensively, I'm not sure he will have enough strength to be a good defender his first year.

Reactions: Schnelk and mathboy
Cline can't play defense yet painter will most likely start him and play him major minutes.

I suspect there’s no point in me arguing with you Cline’s defensive prowess. I can point to the fact that MP believes that Cline is a sufficiently skilled defensively that he played Ryan over Carsen at the end of the season two years ago because he payed better team defense. Unless you believe that Matt just likes Ryan better than Carsen and allows that to impact his judgement, that’s a pretty clear indication to me that he believes that Ryan is a solid defensive player.

There’s a difference between being a gifted individual defensive player and playing solid team defense and freshmen tend to struggle with the latter.

I suspect there’s no point in me arguing with you Cline’s defensive prowess. I can point to the fact that MP believes that Cline is a sufficiently skilled defensively that he played Ryan over Carsen at the end of the season two years ago because he payed better team defense. Unless you believe that Matt just likes Ryan better than Carsen and allows that to impact his judgement, that’s a pretty clear indication to me that he believes that Ryan is a solid defensive player.

There’s a difference between being a gifted individual defensive player and playing solid team defense and freshmen tend to struggle with the latter.
Cline playing over carsen during the end of his frosh year had literally nothing to do with clines or carsens defense. Carsen started to play too out of control. And you are right there is not really any point trying to argue with me about clines defense. Only the biggest of purdue homers would try to argue that he's even an average defender.

Reactions: mathboy
If Haarms has improved his 3 pt shot (I seem to remember everything thinking he was the next Dirk....), he would be deadly as a pick n pop player, like Wagner from MeatChicken. The other guy I want to see is T Williams in the high screen. He's got a nice jumper and has really good handles for a big. Could pose some nice matchup problems for another team's big.
I don't put as much value on pick and pop with tall centers. Yes, MW gave us issues but with more mobile front courts these days, I don't think it would be as much of a mismatch. If Haarms is more consistent with a developed midrange and close range offensive game, I'd be very happy with that. He could be very efficient there because of his height and agility. I was also not much,of a fan with Biggie taking 3s because it took our best rebounder away from the basket during a shot. The rebounding dynamic will be different this coming year, but I'd still want our agile 7 footer relatively close to the basket for all shots going up.

He will he’s has more offensive game than he was able to show. More min more opportunities now. I’m hearing carsen and Nojel looking good in that back court in practice. He’s putting a lot of work in his game this off season. Looking good.
My question to you...and it's a critical one for the team and one that I hope you can and will assure us all he'll hit 80% or more...did he work with what I thought was the weakest part of his game....free throws? His motion and release may be worse than Charles Barkley's golf swing. :D

My question to you...and it's a critical one for the team and one that I hope you can and will assure us all he'll hit 80% or more...did he work with what I thought was the weakest part of his game....free throws? His motion and release may be worse than Charles Barkley's golf swing. :D
Haven't you already posed this question in 2-3 other threads? I think it has been answered. Now stop.

Who do you guys think are the 5 starters and first 3 off the bench?

1.) Edwards
2.) Cline
3.) Eastern
4.) Haarms
5.) Eifert

6.)Wheeler
7.) Stefanovich
8.) Beudraux

Here you go:

1. Edwards
  2. Cline
  3. Haarms
  4. Evan
  5. Nojel
SUBS IN ORDER OF MINUTES
  • 1. Williams
  • 2. Wheeler
  • 3. Hunter
  • 4. Grady
  • 5. Steph
  • 6. Dow

Sir plz let’s not go there now you seem to be trying to pick an argument and I’m not gonna give you the response so how about this you will find out what he has been doing when season starts plz leave me be

Reactions: Do Dah Day
You are being an A$$ now don’t worry about what my son is doing.

You are being an A$$ now don’t worry about what my son is doing.
Don't respond to this provocation. Twin has mode several posts in the past 2-3 months about this same topic, and each time you responded that Nojel is working to improve his FT. Either he doesn't read people's responses, or he doesn't want to believe what he reads, or he is just being an ass.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
Who do you guys think are the 5 starters and first 3 off the bench?

1.) Edwards
2.) Cline
3.) Eastern
4.) Haarms
5.) Eifert

6.)Wheeler
7.) Stefanovich
8.) Beudraux
There is zero chance that Eifert starts

Opening lineup may not look like this but I think it will eventually settle into

HAARMS
Wheeler
Nojel Eastern
Cline
Carsen

Bourdreax
Hunter
Sasha

Potentially one of Dow or TreWil could play some backup center minutes, will have to see how they look during the season first. They might both redshirt if Bourdreax and Wheeler can handle minutes at the 5.
neither one is redshirting... both will see minutes at the 5, Williams some at the 4

Cline playing over carsen during the end of his frosh year had literally nothing to do with clines or carsens defense. Carsen started to play too out of control. And you are right there is not really any point trying to argue with me about clines defense. Only the biggest of purdue homers would try to argue that he's even an average defender.

Whether by design or through ignorance, your post is incredibly misinformed. Painter pulled Carsen out of a game because he wasn't playing team defense and started Cline after that. After that occurred Matt was asked why and he said it's because he can trust Cline on defense.

Last edited:
neither one is redshirting... both will see minutes at the 5, Williams some at the 4

Do you think they go nine deep then Tim? I'm not saying it couldn't happen, just asking. I hope you're right, it would mean we have some talented young guys who are ready to play.

I could get behind this

I believe that Boudreaux needs starter's minutes for his rebounding ability, if not for anything else. So, I would take either Cline or Wheeler out of that lineup and replace them with Evan.

I believe that Boudreaux needs starter's minutes for his rebounding ability, if not for anything else. So, I would take either Cline or Wheeler out of that lineup and replace them with Evan.

Personally, I'd prefer EB be the sixth man and replace whichever of HAARMS or Wheeler gets subbed out first. I like Wheelers upside.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT