ADVERTISEMENT

Rest for the starters

Would be interested to hear Painter’s rationale for keeping the starters in so long. I worry a bit about Smith wearing down, and of course, an increased risk of injury.
Yes, said that wasn't good coaching in a brilliantly coached game.

And both Smith and Loyer got hurt enforcing my point. Even though it looked like it was not too bad.

Would be interested to hear Painter’s rationale for keeping the starters in so long. I worry a bit about Smith wearing down, and of course, an increased risk of injury.
Purdue was up 20 with 4:07 left, but IU had just scored 14 from the 6:35 mark to 4:07. It did not feel like "empty the bench" time to me either. Colvin did play those last 4 minutes. Maybe Berg should have played a little more, but no one else IMO.

Purdue was up 20 with 4:07 left, but IU had just scored 14 from the 6:35 mark to 4:07. It did not feel like "empty the bench" time to me either. Colvin did play those last 4 minutes. Maybe Berg should have played a little more, but no one else IMO.
Colvin had enough minutes to show the world that he has no business in a game anywhere but mop up minutes.

I feel like those wanting Painter to substitute differently at the end did not pay close attention after we went up
69-41 with 6:35 left. Indiana outscored us 14-6 in the next 2:28. What if he takes the starters out and we are outscored 14-4 in the next 2:28? Then we are up 10 with 1:39 left and nobody is happy or comfortable.
I was thinking starters should get some rest too when we went up 69-41, but that is not how the game played out.

I had no issues until the 2 minute mark. Pull them then when the under 4 minute TV timeout hits at roughly 2:30 left in the game.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I hope none of our starters get in foul trouble in the tournament, because Painter doesn’t seem to have faith in our bench
We got a few more games to go for bench to get some mins. Lance has been the only starter to get into foul trouble this year and he’s super important on the defensive end. Purdue’s not super aggressive on defense so that helps limit the fouls.

I hope none of our starters get in foul trouble in the tournament, because Painter doesn’t seem to have faith in our bench

We shall see Kentucky......the all know they have to be ready when the number is called. As Painter says - "Just do your job."

At least there are three - Gillis, Heide, and Colvin who have the confidence to take the outside shot if needed and are capable.

To your point though - can't have Smith and Jones both in foul trouble - that would be a problem. Braden Smith (knock on wood) has been pretty good about that this season.

I feel like those wanting Painter to substitute differently at the end did not pay close attention after we went up
69-41 with 6:35 left. Indiana outscored us 14-6 in the next 2:28. What if he takes the starters out and we are outscored 14-4 in the next 2:28? Then we are up 10 with 1:39 left and nobody is happy or comfortable.
I was thinking starters should get some rest too when we went up 69-41, but that is not how the game played out.
Lot of FT attempts for both sides with the clock stopped. IU made a few and Purdue missed or split a lot. Purdue basically had the week off before the game. Some probably recall Robbie getting hurt and worrying such will happen again...which it could at any stage of a game. If a coach doesn't sub much towards the end of the game and yet with a few minutes to go, he has his reasons most likely based upon seeing things fans don't. Several coaches on the bench and at least one helping with minutes and so there appeared no urgency to sub as early as some wanted. These coaches want all the players to get a chance to play. They don't dislike any player. They see how hard they work and want to get them minutes, but in their ear is the concern of a run by the other teams and MO sets in.

We did see an early entrance of Myles where he hit one and was too slow on his second that was blocked badly with no foul called, but still slow action and so I'm sure some were surprised with his entry in the first half. I'm guessing that drives into the lane resulted in at least 20 pts for iu. The first 8 to 10 points of the game and Galloway getting into the lane and lobbing to Ware

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Yes, said that wasn't good coaching in a brilliantly coached game.

And both Smith and Loyer got hurt enforcing my point. Even though it looked like it was not too bad.
Purdue just had a week off! Painter has said many times that they have had more days off and have shortened practice this year to rest the team. Most good coaches are perfectionists, they know repeating and building the team concept is a must. If this team is going far in the tournament they need to be clicking on all cylinders and you do that by playing! Painter has got this, relax!

• Wow
Reactions: Boiler Buck
A. If you take starters out too early, IU fans complain that you're showing them up.
B. If you leave the starters in too long, IU fans complain that you're running up the score.

The ultimate sign that you're a has-been, loser program and fanbase is whining that the other team tried too hard and should have taken it easy on them. You realize Zach was out there taking threes, laughing and they stopped really running the pure offense with 10 minutes to go, right? It was a joke, it could have been 40 if they had really kept their foot on the gas.

a357dcd5e944ecf340cd5c51f579ad9e.jpg

Reactions: nitrowars and DrEss
Also, while I'm at it on IU fans. :D

1. "Insert Player" won't make it in (or to) the NBA.
So? We're playing college basketball, we'll see who ends up on an NBA roster and how they do later. This is a college game, not a pro game. Why do you even focus or care about that right now?

2. Banners.
Great, we'd love another one, Sounds cool. We have an "awarded" 1932 that's pretty old so we don't really discuss it in the context of a 2023-24 team. That's why we have a coach and team trying to get another #1 seed and do their best to get a banner. It's at least fun to be competitive, you guys should totally try it one year.

3. The Big Ten is horrible. Doesn't mean much to do well.
Wow, if the Big Ten is that bad, how awful is your team to struggle to even be a mid-pack team year after year?

Reactions: GregJM24
Painter has stated several times before that he will put in the starters when either one of two things happen:

1. The opposing team takes their starters out signifying "the towel being thrown in".
2. The game is squarely out of reach and it does not hurt Purdue.

Last night, IU left their starters in till the very end so there you have it.

Painter has stated several times before that he will put in the starters when either one of two things happen:

1. The opposing team takes their starters out signifying "the towel being thrown in".

I wasn't aware he said it, but that is what coaches do

You fall asleep in the first half? He defended Gunn well when Gunn tried to slash/drive into the paint. Gunn had to pass it cuz Colvin wouldn’t let him get by.
It sure did look like Colvin has gradually gotten better and earned some more playing time. He seemed to be in a better flow with his teammates both offensively and defensively.

Those are the unwritten rules in college basketball.

We shall see Kentucky......the all know they have to be ready when the number is called. As Painter says - "Just do your job."

At least there are three - Gillis, Heide, and Colvin who have the confidence to take the outside shot if needed and are capable.

To your point though - can't have Smith and Jones both in foul trouble - that would be a problem. Braden Smith (knock on wood) has been pretty good about that this season.
That's not a lack of faith, there is no one else.

Normally I would be against it, but I give him a mulligan for beating IU by 20.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT