ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Milwaukee take aways

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
1. Zack did not seem to move well around the offensive end. Still abreast on the defensive end.

2. Fletcher looked good shooting the 3.

3. Smith good be special reminds me of Chris Kramer on defense.

4. TKR will be special once he gets better conditioning and begins to exert himself.

5. Team loaded selflessly and made the extra pass for the better shot.

6. Defense could be crazy aggressive but I realize we have stiffer competition to play before we see what it looks like but the foundation is there.

7. The team shot the three fairly well tonight.

8. I like Morton but it scares me when he bring up the ball as I fear he'll get lose the ball to a quicker defender.

9. Team seemed to break the press with ease but will reserve judgement barring a better pressing team.

10. I like Coach Weber being in the press box but that voice is a tad harsh over game.

Bonus: I won't buy a range rover as their commercials are dumb.

3. Looking forward to his first double/double with points/steals.
10. Is why I thought he could never recruit effectively at K St.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
1. Zack did not seem to move well around the offensive end. Still abreast on the defensive end.

2. Fletcher looked good shooting the 3.

3. Smith good be special reminds me of Chris Kramer on defense.

4. TKR will be special once he gets better conditioning and begins to exert himself.

5. Team loaded selflessly and made the extra pass for the better shot.

6. Defense could be crazy aggressive but I realize we have stiffer competition to play before we see what it looks like but the foundation is there.

7. The team shot the three fairly well tonight.

8. I like Morton but it scares me when he bring up the ball as I fear he'll get lose the ball to a quicker defender.

9. Team seemed to break the press with ease but will reserve judgement barring a better pressing team.

10. I like Coach Weber being in the press box but that voice is a tad harsh over game.

Bonus: I won't buy a range rover as their commercials are dumb.

More TKR & Newman.

Less of Gillis, & Morton. Fan of their D, hustle & scrappiness, but TKR's quickness, and the production of Newman and TKR eventually should yield them more minutes.

It's to CMP's detriment to not realize this. He likes their D, but TKR & Newman will yield more offense & their D will catch up with floor time & the choice to use positive coaching.

It should be noted TKRs production in less minutes out did Gillis.

And yes, Weber's voice is not game freindly.

Last edited:
Agree on Weber. Probably couldn’t find a better guy with a balance of knowing the conference/coaches/players/history/ etc.

In fact, racking my brain I couldn’t come up with many/any peers there.
Agree on the voice though. Very harsh. Always sounds forced. Not great for the booth or TV during a game but basketball wise you can’t say he doesn’t deserve a shot.

Furst.....not sure what to make of him so far? Seems slow at times. Rebounds well, but kinda disappointed in his offensive production for a Mr. basketball. What is the deal there?....
Or is he just not getting the minutes @ the 5 where he is more comfortable?
Just wondering?

Our opponent focused on doubling Edey. They had some length and long arms. Give credit where credit is due. They were able to blunt Edey and Furst a bit. Nobody told them about Fletcher or Newman, and they had no answer for Smith.

Furst.....not sure what to make of him so far? Seems slow at times. Rebounds well, but kinda disappointed in his offensive production for a Mr. basketball. What is the deal there?....
Just wondering?
I think it is just a matter of him getting used to playing the 5. IMO, he's more of a natural 4.

Another year of experience and some time in the weight room should fix it.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
More TKR & Newman.

Less of Gillis, & Morton. Fan of their D, hustle & scrappiness, but TKR's quickness, and the production of Newman and TKR eventually should yield them minutes.

It's to CMP's detriment to not realize this. He likes their D, but TKR & Newman will yield more offense & their D will catch up with floor time & the choice to use positive coaching.

As long as Gillis continues to rebound and hit open shots at a decent clip, he's fine. But yes TKR is better.
Morton is baffling to me. Waddell looked more comfortable handling the ball out there.

I think it is just a matter of him getting used to playing the 5. IMO, he's more of a natural 4.

Another year of experience and some time in the weight room should fix it.

Furst doesn't need any more time in the weight room - dude starting to look like Gillis lol.

But yeah, just needs more time on the court, seemed like a lot of guys were jumpy or rusty or something. Lots of missed shots at the rim and even more missed open looks.

I think a key to our team didn't even play. Jenkins will be our 2nd point guard. I think Morton was forced into the role last night and he is a third option at the point. That said, I can see Smith playing 28-30 minutes a game every game because he is that good and in great physical shape. He even looks in control when he mis-dripples, if that makes sense. He is not scared of anything and will Wow! us as his career goes on. Other than fg shooting rust and some hammer-hands when trying to grab the ball, we did well for the first game. How many times will Zach go 4 of 13?

I think a key to our team didn't even play. Jenkins will be our 2nd point guard. I think Morton was forced into the role last night and he is a third option at the point. That said, I can see Smith playing 28-30 minutes a game every game because he is that good and in great physical shape. He even looks in control when he mis-dripples, if that makes sense. He is not scared of anything and will Wow! us as his career goes on. Other than fg shooting rust and some hammer-hands when trying to grab the ball, we did well for the first game. How many times will Zach go 4 of 13?

I knew a Miss Dripples in 8th grade.....wow......memories. :)

Just wondering?
Not all Mr. Basketballs are built the same.
Some are Eric Gordons, Cody Zellers, Gary Harris'... Others are Anthony Leals or Zac Irvin's.

Not all Mr. Basketballs are built the same.
Some are Eric Gordons, Cody Zellers, Gary Harris'... Others are Anthony Leals or Zac Irvin's.

Well not only Mr. basketball, but a top 55 recruit. Had to beat out TKR for his award. So he came in with a ton of fanfare & expectations.

Don't get me wrong, before someone miss understands, a very good B10 player that rebounds well, happy to have him as a Boiler..... playing ok so far at Purdue, I just expected a whole lot more I guess? Like I said, to me looks slower than some 4s, and doesn't seem to have alot of lift.

Sorry everyone for hijacking this thread......I just get carried away sometimes.

IzEc7y0Kwxsc.gif

Well not only Mr. basketball, but a top 55 recruit. Had to beat out TKR for his award. So he came in with a ton of fanfare & expectations.

Don't get me wrong, before someone miss understands, a very good B10 player that rebounds well, happy to have him as a Boiler..... playing ok so far at Purdue, I just expected a whole lot more I guess? Like I said, to me looks slower than some 4s, and doesn't seem to have alot of lift.

I posted this before - as I think COVID-19 slowed him a little last year....let's see how he fares this pre-conference schedule once he settles in. I think there's also a tendency to force things when coming from the bench. He's going to be a solid contributor, and I still think he'll have a big impact. Looked better in that second half stretch. Also, maybe CMP decides to go with a smaller line-up at times.....we shall see.

Last edited:
Just wondering?
Seems to me he is becoming the more outside guy for Edey and Kaufman. Probably just getting use to a more perimeter role. He has the shot for it. Just needs a little more handles

Reactions: Boiler Buck

You've seen a tiny sliver of what this kid can do.

Only saw the first 12 minutes of the first half. Newman was horrible. Hunting shots like always and missing most of them. Totally ignored Loyer 2 steps in front of him (for an uncontested layup) to challenge a defender on him for a missed dunk. Really really bad look....

Only saw the first 12 minutes of the first half. Newman was horrible. Hunting shots like always and missing most of them. Totally ignored Loyer 2 steps in front of him (for an uncontested layup) to challenge a defender on him for a missed dunk. Really really bad look....
Newman did not miss the dunk. He got hacked by the Milwaukee defender.

I wouldn't say horrible but I agree he does some annoying and boneheaded things. He did the same thing later after a steal in the backcourt not passing to Edey I believe, though he did make the layup that time. But if he continues to shoot like he did it's easier to look the other way.

Only saw the first 12 minutes of the first half. Newman was horrible. Hunting shots like always and missing most of them. Totally ignored Loyer 2 steps in front of him (for an uncontested layup) to challenge a defender on him for a missed dunk.

Did not miss dunk, fouled. Newman is a baller. Shoots well at all levels. I will take 50% from Boiler guards all day.

I would add Newman came in the game @ the ~5 minute mark ......so you watched a whole 7 minutes of his play. LOL

Last edited:
I wouldn't say horrible but I agree he does some annoying and boneheaded things. He did the same thing later after a steal in the backcourt not passing to Edey I believe, though he did make the layup that time. But if he continues to shoot like he did it's easier to look the other way.
I agree, not horrible, but I think he wants to exert confidence in himself, and to the fans after last season. I noticed both situations and questioned them in my mind at the time, but I think he's on a mission to prove himself this year. I guess I'll take that versus the bad pass where we don't get anything. And that happens in those situations sometimes also.

Hell, Caleb S. used to push his own teammates out of the way for a rebound. Maybe not 100% the same thing, but that used to make me chuckle.

Last edited:
Maybe watch the whole game. Leading scorer and same efficiency score as Smith.

More TKR & Newman.

Less of Gillis, & Morton. Fan of their D, hustle & scrappiness, but TKR's quickness, and the production of Newman and TKR eventually should yield them more minutes.

I also thought Weber talked too much during the game. TKR reminds me of Illini's Hawkins a bit. Like Bill Rafterry the best

I believe lot of our bigs trouble to score correlated to uncalled grabs/pushes/pinches and bites
by Milwaukee, players.
I stopped counting after a blatant hack on Edey's shot from the backside.

However, have a feeling that our perimeter game will open up inside game and vice versa,
more efficiently this year than the last year due to Braden and co.

Boiler Up!!

I wouldn't make too many conclusions after just one game, however... Someone compared Smith to Kramer that is quite a good compliment, and I don't necessarily disagree. Loyer looked pretty fluid out there. Reminded me of Hummel just a little bit! Edey got stifled on the offensive end quite a bit hopefully that won't be a common occurrence! Great to see Newman doing well. Overall, a good first game!

Reactions: Boiler8285
I wouldn't make too many conclusions after just one game, however... Someone compared Smith to Kramer that is quite a good compliment, and I don't necessarily disagree. Loyer looked pretty fluid out there. Reminded me of Hummel just a little bit! Edey got stifled on the offensive end quite a bit hopefully that won't be a common occurrence! Great to see Newman doing well. Overall, a good first game!
Smith reminds me of Colin Gillespie and Loyer reminds me Jeff Hornacek

Ill give you one thing Schmedly, you sure do have some hot takes...

Newman shot 50% from the field and scored 16 points. And BTW, that "uncontested" layup resulted in two free throw attempts after he was fouled.

Feel free to get back to your meth production in your trailer on the outskirts of Bloomington...

Reactions: lovelyblonde
Ill give you one thing Schmedly, you sure do have some hot takes...

Newman shot 50% from the field and scored 16 points. And BTW, that "uncontested" layup resulted in two free throw attempts after he was fouled.

Feel free to get back to your meth production in your trailer on the outskirts of Bloomington...

And amazing observation by him.... since he only watched him for 7 minutes as he said he watched the first 12 & Newman came in at about 5 minute mark

Reactions: purduepat1969
I saw that and thought the same. Give it up and win as a team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT