ADVERTISEMENT

Questions after Whisking Whisky

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
Just curious about a couple of things:
1. Why did Zack tend to be on the right side of the bucket much of the time? Were they forcing that? I didn't record it.
2. How much better is our D than it was 8 weeks ago?
3. Why does Smith tend to end-up in the corner under a full-court press? Is that simply the only option availabe? -- My young players tended to do that, so I had my two best ball handlers start wide at the free throw line extended and curl in front of the in-bounder (really close to the line). It was a handoff to the one closest to the line and he was on the move in the middle of the court. I'm no genius, but that helped my young players not get trapped in the corner.

Caveat: Y'all know I love Paint and would never question his coaching, but these were curious to me today ... and Paint still won LOL

Reactions: SKYDOG
#3 is the most important thing to me. I don't think the design is very good against the full-court press. Honestly, even though he sucked today, I'd maybe rather see Morton in there because he seems to have ways to get open.

The 4-man flashing straight up the court towards the inbounder usually works, until Klesmit runs right into Gillis' elbow.

I think the design is to break to the corner and quickly pass out if the coming trap. The issue I see is we don't always pass out that and wait for the foul.

Also, when we broke the press, just take the score. I know we are trying to run clock but play Defense and let them burn clock. Up 7 with 25 secinds, I'll trade 2 points for defense all the time.

1. Why did Zack tend to be on the right side of the bucket much of the time? Were they forcing that? I didn't record it.
3. Why does Smith tend to end-up in the corner under a full-court press? Is that simply the only option availabe? -- My young players tended to do that, so I had my two best ball handlers start wide at the free throw line extended and curl in front of the in-bounder (really close to the line). It was a handoff to the one closest to the line and he was on the move in the middle of the court. I'm no genius, but that helped my young players not get trapped in the corner.

Caveat: Y'all know I love Paint and would never question his coaching, but these were curious to me today ... and Paint still won LOL
I think Purdue takes the bait on these inbound passes during the press. Seems to happen year after year. Wish they would implement a different strategy on these inbounds plays.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

3. It’s interesting because a majority of the game, we are great against the press and break it. But once a game, Braden goes to the corner…I’m not sure why. I wish we’d have the guys start either 3/4 of the way to half court or even at half court and come back that way. Tougher to guard guys with full head of steam. We need to fix that part of going it the corner 1-2 times a game, but other than that, continue to attack the press and take the points.

2. This was our best defensive performance all year, I’d say. Lance was phenomenal on Storr and Klesmitt. Even Morton did his job when on defense. We rebounded well too. If we can start playing this way on defense down the stretch, then it’d be great for success later.

1. Didn’t notice this really. They did a good job at having 2-3 guys coming at Zach. I thought Zach was a bit slower in decision making than he had been. He seemed a bit off, not sure if that’s due to Northwestern beating him up or what , but hope a week of rest before IU helps get him back on track.

3. It’s interesting because a majority of the game, we are great against the press and break it. But once a game, Braden goes to the corner…I’m not sure why. I wish we’d have the guys start either 3/4 of the way to half court or even at half court and come back that way. Tougher to guard guys with full head of steam. We need to fix that part of going it the corner 1-2 times a game, but other than that, continue to attack the press and take the points.

2. This was our best defensive performance all year, I’d say. Lance was phenomenal on Storr and Klesmitt. Even Morton did his job when on defense. We rebounded well too. If we can start playing this way on defense down the stretch, then it’d be great for success later.

1. Didn’t notice this really. They did a good job at having 2-3 guys coming at Zach. I thought Zach was a bit slower in decision making than he had been. He seemed a bit off, not sure if that’s due to Northwestern beating him up or what , but hope a week of rest before IU helps get him back on track.
OK, but Edey is so much better coming from the left side. Just my observation.

I think Purdue takes the bait on these inbound passes during the press. Seems to happen year after year. Wish they would implement a different strategy on these inbounds plays.
I struggled with this with my AAU teams ... we started to have our two best ball-handlers start at the free throw line extended and curl to in front of the in-bounder where an almost hand off could occur and they crossed each other in front of the in-bounder, creating a "crash" of the defenders, creating that second or two for the guy with the ball to get it downcourt.

Reactions: SKYDOG

YES!!! on the full head of steam!!!

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I struggled with this with my AAU teams ... we started to have our two best ball-handlers start at the free throw line extended and curl to in front of the in-bounder where an almost hand off could occur and they crossed each other in front of the in-bounder, creating a "crash" of the defenders, creating that second or two for the guy with the ball to get it downcourt.
I used to have my big man just inside the time line with a guard in the backcourt. We had the two wings over the time line and if the ball went to the big man, he would turn and get it to one of the wings. We usually had a two on one with a layup drill scoring at will with the two wings. Mind you though it was 8th grade AAU. We got the opponent out of the press real quick.

In that situation there is going to be a trap…somewhere. I like space on the court… close enough to catch a pass if needed but space makes it harder to trap if the spacing is close enough to catch a pass, but too far for players to trap. I need to see a replay but thought they may not have spacing…was thinking a lot of bodies down on baseline but again would need the replay to know

In that situation there is going to be a trap…somewhere. I like space on the court… close enough to catch a pass if needed but space makes it harder to trap if the spacing is close enough to catch a pass, but too far for players to trap. I need to see a replay but thought they may not have spacing…was thinking a lot of bodies down on baseline but again would need the replay to know
I know this can't be the case, but it has the appearance of, "Do whatever you can to get yourself open." It doesn't look like there's an actual plan in place.

I know this can't be the case, but it has the appearance of, "Do whatever you can to get yourself open." It doesn't look like there's an actual plan in place.
I hope that isn’t the case, but if that were an approach spacing is still important . If bodies are not clogged together then it will be interesting to try to understand why the ball gets in the corner. Generally IMO too many bodies reduce the available space

I hope that isn’t the case, but if that were an approach spacing is still important . If bodies are not clogged together then it will be interesting to try to understand why the ball gets in the corner. Generally IMO too many bodies reduce the available space
I would rather see some side to side movement with screens as opposed to the guards running toward the inbounder.

Reactions: SKYDOG and tjreese
Seems like they often have three players close to the baseline when trying to inbound from the press. Get at least one of them out of the way. And it always seems that Purdue is happy to just get it over the time line instead of taking it to the rack. Make em pay for the press.

Reactions: tjreese
I would rather see some side to side movement with screens as opposed to the guards running toward the inbounder.
Like both, but screens and spacing typically in play. Not sure if @Purdue Grad in Texas can paste the last 38 seconds if not a lot of work. @Do Dah Day . Had to look real quick but at 37 seconds wisc defender has his arms wrapped around Lance. There was a bit of spacing issues due to some timing IMO. Braden and Lance are in tandem above the arc and Mason behind them. Wahl defending trigger man or fletch making it hard to pass in middle. Braden and Lance go forward and flair to corners and Mason comes straight forward. I need to count because it appeared they left too early and were to close to the baseline when passed the ball…and there were three across the baseline with Wahl defending the trigger man as well. Purdue did this twice. One of those Braden broke half court and couldn’t tell if Matt wanted him to bring it out or not, but Braden lost it.

Another time the ball got in the corner Lance was trigger man Mason and Zach are tandem between arc and half court and Braden deeper than Zach. Fletch steps out and Lance passes ball to Fletch who has Braden streaking forward and fletch puts ball away from D and Braden is in the corner and pushed out. I give a lot of credit to Wahl with his quickness and size playing straight up on the trigger man forcing the ball outside his finger tips and towards the corner. If a video of those seconds show up it is much easier to see than me typing on a phone. 😊

Seems like they often have three players close to the baseline when trying to inbound from the press. Get at least one of them out of the way. And it always seems that Purdue is happy to just get it over the time line instead of taking it to the rack. Make em pay for the press.
That was Mason coming forward perhaps too early. Need to count to see. He is the last outlet and it seemed he was there as quick as Braden and Lance almost

Purdue normally does well in attacking. Here you had Braden with the ball and Mason in front and to the side. Mason is not the best at the rim and not sure who was near Braden. IMO the clock was most important. Braden needed to pass to Mason and eat another 2 or 3 seconds as Braden moves to get the ball back. That spreads the D, eats clock, makes it harder to double quickly and should result in FTs. Not sure who was running around Braden and if he could have blocked a layup. Can’t recall enough to know for certain

Like both, but screens and spacing typically in play. Not sure if @Purdue Grad in Texas can paste the last 38 seconds if not a lot of work. @Do Dah Day . Had to look real quick but at 37 seconds wisc defender has his arms wrapped around Lance. There was a bit of spacing issues due to some timing IMO. Braden and Lance are in tandem above the arc and Mason behind them. Wahl defending trigger man or fletch making it hard to pass in middle. Braden and Lance go forward and flair to corners and Mason comes straight forward. I need to count because it appeared they left too early and were to close to the baseline when passed the ball…and there were three across the baseline with Wahl defending the trigger man as well. Purdue did this twice. One of those Braden broke half court and couldn’t tell if Matt wanted him to bring it out or not, but Braden lost it.

Another time the ball got in the corner Lance was trigger man Mason and Zach are tandem between arc and half court and Braden deeper than Zach. Fletch steps out and Lance passes ball to Fletch who has Braden streaking forward and fletch puts ball away from D and Braden is in the corner and pushed out. I give a lot of credit to Wahl with his quickness and size playing straight up on the trigger man forcing the ball outside his finger tips and towards the corner. If a video of those seconds show up it is much easier to see than me typing on a phone. 😊
I did see both of those.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT