ADVERTISEMENT

POY Stats

Feb 26, 2019
I am seeing more Indinia fans pumping Davis for the Big POY based only on Big stats. Some are saying Davis' stats are better using only conference stats. So I did a little ciphering. The only positive factor I see is Davis playing more minutes per game allowing for more opportunity to score and rebound. Conference only stats.
Edey
551​
minutes played
377points
0.684​
points per minute
220rebounds
0.399​
rebounds per minute
Davis
593​
minutes played
354points
0.597​
points per minute
210rebounds
0.354​
rebounds per minute

I am seeing more Indinia fans pumping Davis for the Big POY based only on Big stats. Some are saying Davis' stats are better using only conference stats. So I did a little ciphering. The only positive factor I see is Davis playing more minutes per game allowing for more opportunity to score and rebound. Conference only stats.
Edey
551​
minutes played
377points
0.684​
points per minute
220rebounds
0.399​
rebounds per minute
Davis
593​
minutes played
354points
0.597​
points per minute
210rebounds
0.354​
rebounds per minute
You used math. Indinia used wishes

He is a complete game changer too. Better defender, elite offensive rebounder, and just more efficient.
And Jackson-Davis is a better shot blocker, more versatile defender, a way better playmaker and a much more creative scorer since he's not 7-4 300lbs.

That’s exactly right and that’s how it usually works - best player on the best team!
Normally yes but not always.

2022- Illinois and Wisconsin shared and Johnny Davis was the come out of nowhere dude and won the POY award.

2021- Luka Garza won POY, Iowa finished with 3 more losses than B1G champs Michigan(though plenty of complaining since Michigan played 3 less games)

2020- Luka Garza won POY. Maryland, MSU and Wisconsin tied for 1st at 14-6 and Iowa was 3 games back.

2019- Cassius Winston won POY. Michigan State and Purdue shared the B1G title.

2018- Keita Bates-Diop won POY. OSU finished a game behind B1G Champs MSU.

2017- Swanigan(RIP) won POY and Purdue won the B1G.

2016- Denzel Valentine won POY and MSU finished 2 games behind Indiana.

2015- Frank the Tank won POY and Wisconsin won the B1G.

2014- Nik Stauskas won POY and Michigan won the B1G.

2013- Trey Burke won POY and Indiana won the B1G.

2012- Michigan, MSU, OSU shared the B1G and Draymond Green won POY.

2011- JaJuan Johnson won POY and Purdue finished 2 games back from Champs Ohio State.

2010- Purdue, MSU and OSU shared and Evan Turner won POY.

2009- Kalin Lucas won POY and MSU won the B1G.

2008- DJ White won POY and Indiana finished 2 games behind champs Wisconsin.

2007- Alando Tucker won POY and Wisconsin finished 2 games behind champs Ohio State.

2006- Terrance Dials won POY and OSU won the B1G.

2005- Dee Brown won POY and Illinois won the B1G.

2004- Devin Harris won POY and Illinois won the B1G.

2003- Brian Cook won POY and Wisconsin won the B1G.

2002- Jared Jeffries won POY and Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Illinois shared the B1G.

2001- Frank Williams won POY and Illinois and MSU shared the B1G.

2000- Ohio State and Michigan State won the B1G. Mo Pete and AJ Guyton were Co-POYs. Indiana finished 3 games behind the champs. Was the last time there were Co-POYs.

So 11 out of the last 23 times since 2000 a player has won B1G POY without winning the B1G and most of the time 2+ games back from the champs.

2022- Illinois and Wisconsin shared and Johnny Davis was the come out of nowhere dude and won the POY award.

2021- Luka Garza won POY, Iowa finished with 3 more losses than B1G champs Michigan(though plenty of complaining since Michigan played 3 less games)

2020- Luka Garza won POY. Maryland, MSU and Wisconsin tied for 1st at 14-6 and Iowa was 3 games back.

2011- JaJuan Johnson won POY and Purdue finished 2 games back from Champs Ohio State.

2007- Alando Tucker won POY and Wisconsin finished 2 games behind champs Ohio State.

2002- Jared Jeffries won POY and Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Illinois shared the B1G.

2000- Ohio State and Michigan State won the B1G. Mo Pete and AJ Guyton were Co-POYs. Indiana finished 3 games behind the champs. Was the last time there were Co-POYs.

So 11 out of the last 23 times since 2000 a player has won B1G POY without winning the B1G and most of the time 2+ games back from the champs.
OMG you are totally obsessed and it’s a losing proposition. Aren’t there odds on this type of thing in Vegas? What are they?

Reactions: pboiler18
Edey
551​
minutes played
377points
0.684​
points per minute
220rebounds
0.399​
rebounds per minute
Davis
593​
minutes played
354points
0.597​
points per minute
210rebounds
0.354​
rebounds per minute
They cherry pick everything, including the head-to-head record, to convince themselves they aren't little brother. It's fun to watch the contortions.

Reactions: pboiler18

G

Good luck finding odds for B1G POY. For NPOY yea. Though it depends where you look on the odds.
Well I found the NPOY odds and it’s not looking good for TJD - but go ahead and throw some money at him - you will make a nice profit if he wins that

So Indiana gets their player of the year candidate on the court for more minutes?

That seems like a good thing to me.
Edey
551​
minutes played
377points
0.684​
points per minute
220rebounds
0.399​
rebounds per minute
Davis
593​
minutes played
354points
0.597​
points per minute
210rebounds
0.354​
rebounds per minute

So Indiana gets their player of the year candidate on the court for more minutes? That seems like a good thing to me.

No? We're talking about production per minute?

Well then hell, Purdue has a guy that is averaging 1.335 points and .3325 assists per minute! And Purdue has two guys who out-rebound both Trayce and Zach per minute!

Barrett, Martin, and King for CPOY. ;)

So Indiana gets their player of the year candidate on the court for more minutes?

That seems like a good thing to me.

So Indiana gets their player of the year candidate on the court for more minutes? That seems like a good thing to me.

No? We're talking about production per minute?

Well then hell, Purdue has a guy that is averaging 1.335 points and .3325 assists per minute! And Purdue has two guys who out-rebound both Trayce and Zach per minute!

Barrett, Martin, and King for CPOY. ;)
These numbers show Zach is more efficient. If you look at their field goal percentages you will see this as well. For instance Zach played 32 minutes compared to 39 for TJD head to head.
Zach score more points and had more rebounds while playing 7 less minutes. That’s efficiency and Zach has proven to be more efficient than TJD while also averaging more points and rebounds.

Edey
551​
minutes played
377points
0.684​
points per minute
220rebounds
0.399​
rebounds per minute
Davis
593​
minutes played
354points
0.597​
points per minute
210rebounds
0.354​
rebounds per minute
The difference is even greater if you look at points and rebounds per possession because IU plays at a faster pace. In Big Ten games per 100 possessions, Edey averages 43.0 points and 25.1 rebounds, while TJD averages 35.2 and 20.9.

Last edited:
Hey guys the same thing happened one time in a different sport at a different level 35 years ago so obviously it could happen this year in completely unrelated circumstances.

And Jackson-Davis is a better shot blocker, more versatile defender, a way better playmaker and a much more creative scorer since he's not 7-4 300lbs.
All true.

Except that you have forgotten 'that' qualifier at the end..

In his bed..

Boiler Up!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT