ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Matt Light on Laura Ingraham this eve. (9/11)*

Nobody owns American culture and thus nobody gets to police it. The beauty of America, in case you missed it, is that it is an amalgamation of a bunch of cultures, ever changing and evolving. The food you eat, the clothes you wear, the words you say, the type of house you live in, the games you play, the sports you watch - all of it - are inclusive, if not 100% borrowed from, of imported cultures. So Ingrahm and those who agree with her don't get to write the test of American culture. There should never be one and floating it as a possibility is doing nothing but recalling the ugliest parts of our racist history.

Tell me again about why having us all speak a common language is doing nothing but recalling the ugliest parts of our racist history?

Do you not see the benefit in having a common language for basic communication, in education, in business, etc.?

You have really been indoctrinated to have all this white guilt about our "racist history". You seem to forget that we outlawed slavery in the US, when it was still a common practice in the rest of the world. You seem to dwell on the worst parts of our history, while discounting the best parts. You may want to do some introspection and figure out why.

When you can't refute a true comment, go straight to a personal attack.

I would have to be senile to believe the garbage you're selling.

You fled the free board because you were getting owned left and right with arguments. The problem with relying on Fox News is that they're so untruthful it's incredibly easy to refute the arguments you guys come up with. Right wing propaganda has infected your brain, you may have been a decent person until the propaganda took hold. It's sad to see what Fox News has done to an elderly generation.

Tell me again about why having us all speak a common language is doing nothing but recalling the ugliest parts of our racist history?

Do you not see the benefit in having a common language for basic communication, in education, in business, etc.?

You have really been indoctrinated to have all this white guilt about our "racist history". You seem to forget that we outlawed slavery in the US, when it was still a common practice in the rest of the world. You seem to dwell on the worst parts of our history, while discounting the best parts. You may want to do some introspection and figure out why.

First, on racism, requiring immigrant groups to meet a certain standard is exactly what was proposed by racist, anti-immigrant groups multiple times in US history. It is absolutely a recall of some of our worst moments. Why is it that this time it's not racism that is the fueling factor? What's different about this group of immigrants?

Second, and far more importantly - you didn't answer my question. Why would we give the power to the Federal government to define culture? You have defined it as "common language" but that's not the only thing that the pro-assimilation group wants. We've never required a common language - why now? How would you enforce it? Who decides if you pass or not? Does it apply retroactively - because I can tell you there are a whole lot of people in Chinatown... (full disclosure: my grandfather never learned English)

I'm really struggling to understand why supposed conservatives are so pro-government when it comes to dealing with the freedoms of immigrants. Can you explain it to me?

Reactions: Boilerup8986
Trump called the FBI a bunch of Nazi's.........

Trump says a lot of stupid things. I suspect he was just talking about a few people at the top of the FBI hierarchy. I'm actually more interested in what he does, than what he says.

Obama is very articulate and made every lie he told us sound like the truth, but he did NOTHING good for the country.

Trump is like a bull in a china shop, when he talks or tweets. He brags too much. He picks fights that he shouldn't and he says things that make you wonder if the elevator is getting to the top floor. I have no illusions over what Trump is or isn't. I judge him on his policies and so far, he's doing great. He's got the economy humming. He's fixing the inequities in our trade agreements. He gave us a tax cut. He's strengthening the military after 8 years of neglect. He's repatriating businesses and making it easier to repatriate their overseas funds. He's getting rid of a lot of useless regulations that have been hamstringing businesses in our country for years. He will have put two Conservative Justices on the Supreme court. I could go on a lot longer, but that's a quick summary.

You fled the free board because you were getting owned left and right with arguments. The problem with relying on Fox News is that they're so untruthful it's incredibly easy to refute the arguments you guys come up with. Right wing propaganda has infected your brain, you may have been a decent person until the propaganda took hold. It's sad to see what Fox News has done to an elderly generation.

This is just an ignorant comment from someone apparently too young to know any better. 95% of the MSM is moderate to progressive left and you fixate on the one broadcast news organization that's center-right and then claim they're shifting right the opinions of millions as opposed to representing widely held perspectives out of favor with the MSM. Who do you think elected Reagan in '80 and '84, Fox News?!

Trump says a lot of stupid things. I suspect he was just talking about a few people at the top of the FBI hierarchy. I'm actually more interested in what he does, than what he says.

Obama is very articulate and made every lie he told us sound like the truth, but he did NOTHING good for the country.

Trump is like a bull in a china shop, when he talks or tweets. He brags too much. He picks fights that he shouldn't and he says things that make you wonder if the elevator is getting to the top floor. I have no illusions over what Trump is or isn't. I judge him on his policies and so far, he's doing great. He's got the economy humming. He's fixing the inequities in our trade agreements. He gave us a tax cut. He's strengthening the military after 8 years of neglect. He's repatriating businesses and making it easier to repatriate their overseas funds. He's getting rid of a lot of useless regulations that have been hamstringing businesses in our country for years. He will have put two Conservative Justices on the Supreme court. I could go on a lot longer, but that's a quick summary.
You do realize our trade deficit is currently growing right? That tax cut has grown the deficit by 30% over the last quarter as well so we’ll have to pay for that at some point. You seem to be regurgitating everything Fox News has told you to say.

You do realize our trade deficit is currently growing right? That tax cut has grown the deficit by 30% over the last quarter as well so we’ll have to pay for that at some point. You seem to be regurgitating everything Fox News has told you to say.

Well, apparently Libs have no problem with a large trade deficit so why are you bringing it up. Do you actually think having the highest corp tax rates in the industrialized world encouraged investment and job creation in the USA? Try thinking more than one-quarter out when judging the economic merits of these policies.

You seem to be repeating talking points from Rachel Maddow and Don Lemon. How about thinking for yourself? Explain why cutting corp taxes was bad, for example.

What a dumb dumb dumb post.
The economy gained a net 11.6 million jobs.
After-tax corporate profits also set records, as did stock prices. The S&P 500 index rose 166 percent.
The number of people lacking health insurance dropped by 15 million.
Wind and solar power increased 369 percent.

There are all kinds of things you can see that were good during the Obama presidency.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/09/obamas-final-numbers/

The main issue here is that someone made a new post with a title that would obviously make the thread go politically haywire.

If the goal is to keep the discussions Purdue-related and/or cordial, then the moderators need to step up and pull these threads.
Just stick with Nike. Tic

Well, apparently Libs have no problem with a large trade deficit so why are you bringing it up. Do you actually think having the highest corp tax rates in the industrialized world encouraged investment and job creation in the USA? Try thinking more than one-quarter out when judging the economic merits of these policies.

You seem to be repeating talking points from Rachel Maddow and Don Lemon. How about thinking for yourself? Explain why cutting corp taxes was bad, for example.

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/07/5417...e-the-highest-corporate-tax-rate-in-the-world
Understand a little bit more on the tax rate. Corporations don't pay the top tax rate.
Every long term projection shows the tax cut for the top 1% was a terrible idea. It balloons the deficit and debt with no benefit to the vast majority of American people. The richest people in the country make out like bandits.

Reactions: Bill4411

Marginal tax rate is meaningless. The Corp tax rate after deductions and credits in the US is very comparable to most other countries.

Reactions: stout1 and indy35
Wow - are you an engineer? Because that was an impressive straw man you built. Newsflash - we don't require assimilation right now (nor speaking of English). And yes, believe it or not, there are pockets of America where the language/food/clothes/customs are still quite similar to the country of origin of the people that live there - and yet, we survived as a country!!

Since when do supposed small-government "conservatives" advocate for government intervention on a Federal level to dictate "culture"? Sounds like a nanny-state idea to me...

Yes, I have an Engineering degree, but more than that, I like to find practical solutions for problems. Usually, without government intervention.

Where was the strawman, by the way? You went on a rant about the benefits of all the diverse cultures that we have and that they shouldn't be required to assimilate. I merely painted a picture of what that would look like, if there was never any assimilation.

As a legal immigrant, I know first hand what it's like moving to a country, where you don't understand the language and all the obstacles that imposes on you and your family. We're doing immigrants no favors, by encouraging them to continue living their culture, when they've moved here. If they don't learn English, they have relegated themselves to remaining in the lower levels of the socio-economic system. If you want success, learn the local language. That holds true, no matter what country you move to.

You're misguided, when you voice the opinion that all cultures are equal. It just tells me that you haven't traveled very extensively. If someone makes the conscious decision to move to the US, then they have to expect to adapt to the country they've chosen as their new home. If they expect their new country to adapt to them, they are in for lot of heartbreak. I'm not saying all cultures don't have value, just that they're not all equal.

Essentially, I believe it is in everyone's best interest to require anyone that wants to be a Citizen to learn the language and I know it used to be a requirement, when I came here. I'm not sure if that is still a requirement, but it should be. What people eat, wear or believe in is up to them.

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/07/5417...e-the-highest-corporate-tax-rate-in-the-world
Understand a little bit more on the tax rate. Corporations don't pay the top tax rate.
Every long term projection shows the tax cut for the top 1% was a terrible idea. It balloons the deficit and debt with no benefit to the vast majority of American people. The richest people in the country make out like bandits.

What's the purpose in linking that article? It's not an argument against cutting corp tax rates.

Interestingly, Trump's original proposal omitted a tax cut for the top 1% but they had to throw that in later to push through the bill, to garner the votes of anti-tax conservatives, since Democrats would not help support the bill under any circumstances.

Keep telling yourself that. Yeah, I was so intimidated by your towering intellect, I had to flee for safety. LOL
You are an indoctrinated little drone that just posts a series of Liberal talking points, that you usually can't support. OOH, you're so scary!

If you look at my posting history on the GD board, I usually pop on there for a couple days for my amusement and then I may not be back again for a month or two. Most of the discussions amount to you or one of your cohorts saying something ridiculous, a Conservative calling you out on your misrepresentations, then you and the yapping chihuahuas attacking the conservative. Rinse, repeat. No useful dialog ensues. Gosh, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to do that on a daily basis forever? I actually have a life and I have other things that are more worthwhile.

You keep trashing FOX News and I would bet you've never spent any time there, but you've heard about them on MSNBC and CNN. You are so easily manipulated and not intelligent enough to realize that you're just a drone.

Last edited:
First, on racism, requiring immigrant groups to meet a certain standard is exactly what was proposed by racist, anti-immigrant groups multiple times in US history. It is absolutely a recall of some of our worst moments. Why is it that this time it's not racism that is the fueling factor? What's different about this group of immigrants?

Second, and far more importantly - you didn't answer my question. Why would we give the power to the Federal government to define culture? You have defined it as "common language" but that's not the only thing that the pro-assimilation group wants. We've never required a common language - why now? How would you enforce it? Who decides if you pass or not? Does it apply retroactively - because I can tell you there are a whole lot of people in Chinatown... (full disclosure: my grandfather never learned English)

I'm really struggling to understand why supposed conservatives are so pro-government when it comes to dealing with the freedoms of immigrants. Can you explain it to me?

1) What standard are they required to meet, that you deem to be racist? What's different about this group of immigrants is that they are ILLEGAL. You keep trying to conflate LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigrants and as a LEGAL immigrant, I find that offensive. There is a huge difference.

Let me illustrate it for you. If you've been standing in line for hours to go to a concert or other event, where they may have limited seating and as you get close to the door, a dozen people push in line ahead of you and get in. You get to the door and they tell you there are no more seats available. I'm sure you would just walk away and say, "Well, those are the breaks. I should have gotten there an hour earlier to get ahead of those that butted in ahead of me."

2) I never said the Federal Govt should define culture. That's your issue, not mine. I believe we should have a common language for the reasons I stated. The reason it has never been an issue before is that the number of immigrants was more manageable before and most people learned English. Those that didn't were usually older and didn't interface with society much.

Now, we are dealing with an assault on our Southern border, by Spanish speaking people. They've been flocking into this country ILLEGALLY by the millions and many are not bothering to learn English. For example, the kid that killed the girl in Iowa, still didn't speak English after being in the country for 4 years. The clue that it was going to be a problem was when Home Depot started posting bilingual signs in their stores several years ago. Additionally, when ballots are printed in multiple languages. Sorry, but if you can't speak the language, you shouldn't be voting.

Before you resort to calling me a racist for my comments on the Southern border invasion, one of my best friends is a LEGAL Mexican immigrant and we both agree about the problem of illegal immigration.

You're not struggling at all. You think you're making a gotcha point and you missed. Learn to differentiate between LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigrants and perhaps you will achieve understanding.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I suppose the elderly generation of left wingers are immune to the propaganda of MSNBC?

You do realize that when you start a negotiation, you don't get instantaneous results, don't you? We've been taken advantage of for so long, that everyone has come to accept that as reality. Trump recognized how we were being fleeced and he's doing something about it. The countries that have been stealing our lunch aren't going to just say, "Oh, you caught us, so here's your money back." They're going to resist, but our economy can survive without them, longer than theirs can survive without us. It may get ugly for a while, but in the end, we'll be much better off.

There is nothing more humorous to me, than a Liberal, who is a deficit hawk. The only time Liberals care about the deficit is when the government lets us keep more of our own money or when money is spent on defense. I've held these views for decades, before FOX News existed. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I suppose the elderly generation of left wingers are immune to the propaganda of MSNBC?
They just aren't comparable at all. Fox News does not deal in fact in any way. Trying to compare someone like Hannity or Carlson to Maddow is absurd.

Reactions: bigchief317
They just aren't comparable at all. Fox News does not deal in fact in any way. Trying to compare someone like Hannity or Carlson to Maddow is absurd.

Wrong. It’s absurd (equally) if someone watches either MSNBC or Fox News after 4:00 to get their news. CNN is trash 24/7.

What a dumb dumb dumb post.
The economy gained a net 11.6 million jobs.
After-tax corporate profits also set records, as did stock prices. The S&P 500 index rose 166 percent.
The number of people lacking health insurance dropped by 15 million.
Wind and solar power increased 369 percent.

There are all kinds of things you can see that were good during the Obama presidency.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/09/obamas-final-numbers/

What exactly did Obama do to make the economy so robust? He increased regulations, which cuts corporate profits and actually caused some businesses to leave the country. The White House could have been empty for 8 years and the market would have gone up like that or more.
He denounced small business owners by saying, "You didn't build that."
He tried to kill the coal industry. (Cost a lot of jobs)
He stopped the Keystone Pipeline. (cost a lot of jobs)
He knowingly lied about being able to keep your doctor and keep your health insurance.
He weaponized the IRS against Conservative groups.
He lied about what caused Benghazi to avoid having to eat the words," Al Qaeda is dead" right before his reelection.
He weaponized the Justice Department and FBI to protect HRC and attack Trump.
Obama was a paragon of virtue.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver

You're truly clueless, as in you've created your own reality divorced from the actual world, if you truly think Maddow is anymore objective than Hannity. And Carlson doesn't even deserve to be mentioned here -- he is far more objective than most of the MSM.

The ignorance and narrow-mindedness of the Left-wing SJWs would be beyond belief, if some of you didn't put it in print.

Only finding that theory on partisan sites . Socialism and Fascism are on opposite sides of the ideological continuum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Fascism

Italian Fascism promoted a corporatist economic system whereby employer and employee syndicates are linked together in associations to collectively represent the nation's economic producers and work alongside the state to set national economic policy.[4] This economic system intended to resolve class conflict through collaboration between the classes.[5]

Italian Fascism opposed liberalism, especially classical liberalism that Mussolini and Fascist leaders denounced as "the debacle of individualism",[6] but rather than seeking a reactionary restoration of the pre-French Revolutionary world, which it considered to have been flawed, it had a forward-looking direction.[7] It was opposed to Marxist socialism because of its typical opposition to nationalism,[8] but was also opposed to the reactionary conservatism developed by Joseph de Maistre.[9] It believed the success of Italian nationalism required respect for tradition and a clear sense of a shared past among the Italian people, alongside a commitment to a modernised Italy.[10]
You can look up this and quote this or that. I don't care what they say they were or what the definition of fascism, socialism, or communism is. It doesn't mean anything.
Tell me the difference between Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini? Not the definition of Fascism and Communism. Just because they say who and what they are, doesn't mean that is who they are.

They can say they are this... and say they are that, but when it comes down to reality.... they are all brutal dictators. Stop giving me some history book or some history professor BS.
Stop giving me the definition of fascism and communism, But, instead tell me the difference on what they did and who they were in the real world.

Again Communism and Fascism is a vehicle to become a dictator. They scream from the tallest mountain: "It is all about the people" In the end, It is all about them and they in slave the people for their own needs. So, you can call it what you want and use a dictionary to explain the definitions, but in reality they are all dictators

The answer is: They all are one in the same

OMG, that is too hilarious. You are so caught up in spin, you wouldn't know a fact, if it hit you between the eyes. When I watch MSNBC or CNN (yes, I do watch them occasionally for the comic relief), I'm constantly amazed that they can make it through the day with all their emotional rants. Trump Derangement Syndrome is strong in both places.

Wow the kool-aid intake is colossal. I watched them all and I can see no discernable difference, nobody on the other side can do anything right. Which tells me they are all closed minded.

This is just an ignorant comment from someone apparently too young to know any better. 95% of the MSM is moderate to progressive left and you fixate on the one broadcast news organization that's center-right and then claim they're shifting right the opinions of millions as opposed to representing widely held perspectives out of favor with the MSM. Who do you think elected Reagan in '80 and '84, Fox News?!

Calling Fox News "center right" - even calling it a broadcast news organization - puts you in a certain category. I'm not arguing that other news orgs don't also modulate their feeds to make a point - they do. And I know it's not possible to convince a Fox News devotee that they have been mainly watching bullcrap for years.

But you should know that many thoughtful folks who try to look at various outlets do feel that way.

Not sure how anyone can watch Hannity or Maddow. Same idiot, different channel

Reactions: Smattson
Calling Fox News "center right" - even calling it a broadcast news organization - puts you in a certain category. I'm not arguing that other news orgs don't also modulate their feeds to make a point - they do. And I know it's not possible to convince a Fox News devotee that they have been mainly watching bullcrap for years.

But you should know that many thoughtful folks who try to look at various outlets do feel that way.

Really, just what category would that be?

I was watching network news, and reading multiple newspapers, and still do, long before there was a Fox News. So I don't need any lectures on the objectivity of the various sources.

Do you understand the difference between a news operation and opinion journalism?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT