ADVERTISEMENT

One Team you Don’t want to face in March?

What is one team you want to avoid in March?
For me the answer is Texas. Chris Beard has our number, and I am sick of getting beat by him in March. Incidentally, Lunardi has Texas as the 4 in our bracket right now.
If we do see them, I’d love the opportunity for revenge, but right now there is just too much trauma lol.
Michigan

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
It doesn't matter who we play with this team. We can beat anyone in the country but we can also loose to anyone in the country. So it depends on if we show heart and come to play or not.
Very accurate statement and based on how this season has gone as a whole, a lot of the top 10 teams can say that. Also last night I think was an outlier due to the scheduling crapola we had to endure.

I think this team has at most one more loss the rest of the season and plays with purpose. The BTT I couldn't care less if we win or exit early if I am honest. It's at best secondary to the NCAAT.

Very accurate statement and based on how this season has gone as a whole, a lot of the top 10 teams can say that. Also last night I think was an outlier due to the scheduling crapola we had to endure.

I think this team has at most one more loss the rest of the season and plays with purpose. The BTT I couldn't care less if we win or exit early if I am honest. It's at best secondary to the NCAAT.

You never know from year-to-year. This could be one where Purdue might need to get to the final for the difference in a 1/2.....but maybe not. And, depending on the bracket, that could be good news/bad news.

Going to be an interesting ride.....enjoy it while you can I say. Somebody will have an opportunity to step up big.....just a hunch.

You never know from year-to-year. This could be one where Purdue might need to get to the final for the difference in a 1/2.....but maybe not. And, depending on the bracket, that could be good news/bad news.

Going to be an interesting ride.....enjoy it while you can I say. Somebody will have an opportunity to step up big.....just a hunch.
wonder if they match us up w/ our friends down in Knoxsville. They've been known to do that

The power 5 conference tournaments are all about making money. Its overkill if you ask me. Power 5 conferences don't need them at all. Just asking for injuries, plus what fun is it to play the same team a 3rd time. Ok, I'm done, haha!

Reactions: SKYDOG
Kentucky, Duke, AZ are probably the top 3 teams with highest ceiling. As we are likely 2 or 3 seed after Thursday, those are the potential 1s or 2s to avoid.

I'd probably want to avoid a middle of the pack SEC team like Arkansas, LSU Alabama in the 2nd round too. Those SEC teams are athletic and battle tested.

I'd actually want to play Michigan for the chance to send Dickinson home. Highly unlikely that young team shoots like that on neutral floor in NCAA.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I am of the camp that the UM loss is an anomaly. It was the perfect storm for UM with us not playing well and them playing lights out. And I am also of the camp that the schedule with playing the Illini in a very physical game then having to travel the next day (trust me, you get zero rest in the time) even the young people won't bounce back and fatigue showed it's face in the second half.

And yes, I know UM played PSU but PSU is no Illini who were out for vengeance. Basically we had a let down as it were and it bit us.

If this game is played when it was supposed to be I have zero doubt we win, probably another close one, but still win. Which we will get a chance to prove if we get UM in the BTT somedhow. And I hope we do.

That being said, this team is likely a 2 seed and that isn't the end of the world. To get to the BT game we are going to have to beat really good teams so get it out of the way early I say and make the road after that much easier. IF we are locked in and ready to go, there is NO ONE we can't beat and beat soundly. We've already provent that.

Any team with a pg that is also a floor general and has the ability to shoot a 3 point shot can beat Purdue. For a team that prides itself on playing man to man defense, Purdue has always been terrible at defending against 3 point shooters!

Reactions: indyogb
Kentucky, Duke, AZ are probably the top 3 teams with highest ceiling. As we are likely 2 or 3 seed after Thursday, those are the potential 1s or 2s to avoid.
3 seed after thursday? That's a ridiculous overreaction. We're on the 1-2 bubble still, with most bracketologists and computer brackets having us as the top 2 seed

Reactions: Do Dah Day
For me the answer is Texas. Chris Beard has our number, and I am sick of getting beat by him in March. Incidentally, Lunardi has Texas as the 4 in our bracket right now.
If we do see them, I’d love the opportunity for revenge, but right now there is just too much trauma lol.
1. Any team full of athletes.
2. Any team that plays a style that sets basketball back about 30 years (wisc, virginia, etc).

I'd probably want to avoid a middle of the pack SEC team like Arkansas, LSU Alabama in the 2nd round too. Those SEC teams are athletic and battle tested.

I'd actually want to play Michigan for the chance to send Dickinson home. Highly unlikely that young team shoots like that on neutral floor in NCAA.
I agree overall ...

I've been saying we should be ranked 7th or 8th, so right now I'd go w/ a 2 seed.
I'll take a 2, this year there's not a lot of distance between the top 8 ...but, with everyone else losing too ... I think we deserve a 3/4 ranking overall ... we'll see how the next few weeks shake out. But 'Zaga and Az don't have much competition.

Any team with a pg that is also a floor general and has the ability to shoot a 3 point shot can beat Purdue. For a team that prides itself on playing man to man defense, Purdue has always been terrible at defending against 3 point shooters!
You are absolutely correct. At least the past 4 or 5 years anyways

Son of a bitch. This committee is a bunch of a-holes.

Reactions: indyogb
I'm not worried about Beard any more than any other good coach with a talented team, he beat Painter once on a crazy comeback with a couple 35 footers and once without our most important player.
Haas would not have made much of a difference in that game. We were destroyed by their guard play.

depthcharge623 said:

Son of a bitch. This committee is a bunch of a-holes.

There it is.....It's ALL depth's fault. :)

05c1ac0959d962fcc388956e1c9dbd79fa11eccd.gifv

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: depthcharge623
Nightmare come true!

Admittedly, I did not want to see Texas Tech, but, Texas/Beard was right near the top as well.

Frankly, the answer should have been "bad Pudue"...as Purdue has been its own worst enemy much of this year...it has beat itself 4/5 times.

They have their work cut out for them for sure...will be interesting to see what ultimately happens...could be an incredible run and journey....could be a really disappointing early exit.

I am still hoping for a FF and think we can definitely achieve that if we play our best. If we end up finally beating Beard on the way that would be great!
But my expectations are much more tempered these days.

I am still hoping for a FF and think we can definitely achieve that if we play our best. If we end up finally beating Beard on the way that would be great!
But my expectations are much more tempered these days.
And by “these days” I don’t mean with recent games from this team, but from years of being a Purdue fan and knowing anything can happen in the tournament.

The possibility of facing Texas is what I was hoping to not have to face but in the tournament you’ll eventually have to play someone like that. The teams with length and athleticism especially at guard is the worst matchup for Purdue. Doesn’t matter if they’re a good shooting team or not. Hoping for the best

Nightmare come true!

Admittedly, I did not want to see Texas Tech, but, Texas/Beard was right near the top as well.

Frankly, the answer should have been "bad Pudue"...as Purdue has been its own worst enemy much of this year...it has beat itself 4/5 times.

They have their work cut out for them for sure...will be interesting to see what ultimately happens...could be an incredible run and journey....could be a really disappointing early exit.
This is certainly a tough draw but this team is capable of doing well.

Reactions: Poprudy
The teams with length and athleticism especially at guard is the worst matchup for Purdue. Doesn’t matter if they’re a good shooting team or not.
Texas would be a tough out, but that looming matchup with Kentucky is a nightmare. Their backcourt of Wheeler, Washington, Grady and Mintz paired with Tshiebwe who is a beastmode double double machine and then Brooks, Ware and Toppin who are the classic long, athletic 4s. Yikes.

Reactions: C'ville Boiler
Take care of the ball and we'll be able to get thru them. Don't let Chris Beard get into your head. My $.02.

Of course, I got my own superstition while watching Purdue sports this year (drink water, no beer or booze).
Might also help keep the rage down on the volume level!

Not sure what year it was back when Purdue embarrassed themselves vs. Oklahoma State in Football, but I took all my Purdue gear to the firepit outside and burned it all. That is when I realized that drinking and watching games were not a good match. I did get new hats and shirts for the next season. :)

Reactions: Level 42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT