ADVERTISEMENT

No thread about how Purdue played ZONE DEFENSE!?

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
Against Buie iso’s, Purdue went zone, then when he passed out they went back to man.

I’ll tip my cap to Painter, I thought he was too stubborn to deviate from his standard predictable defense.

By the way, this is at least the second game that Purdue has won because of Lance Jones.

We were going to get to that but it's been busy with all the incoming "refs won the game for Purdue" BS... we've been busy elsewhere. lolol

I was in total shock. Is this a thing we can do in rare instances now? Like... it's an option?

I commented about it in the game thread. Like I said there, tip of my hat to CMP. Hope he uses it again. Another weapon in the chamber.....even though today it was largely ineffective.
That's right! Just another tool in the toolbox. Pull it out when you need to change things up.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Yes, not sure zone is what you throw at a team hitting insane out-your-butt 3pt shots.
Oh? But that’s what ppl were calling for last time we played northwestern and Nebraska …both teams were shooting 50% and we tried to tell ppl the same thing you just said

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Oh? But that’s what ppl were calling for last time we played northwestern and Nebraska …both teams were shooting 50% and we tried to tell ppl the same thing you just said
I can't help it that others are not as smart about such things as you and I. :)

Zone defense does not slow down a strong outside shooting team who has 4 players capable (a were repeatedly doing so) of knocking down the outside shot.

Reactions: tjreese
I can't help it that others are not as smart about such things as you and I. :)

Zone defense does not slow down a strong outside shooting team who has 4 players capable (a were repeatedly doing so) of knocking down the outside shot.
I like that we showed it. It doesn’t mean we need to use it all the time. But yeah agreed, doesn’t mean it’ll work. Just like plugging in Colvin for Loyer 😂 but let’s nkt get started on that

Reactions: Flot
Against Buie iso’s, Purdue went zone, then when he passed out they went back to man.

I’ll tip my cap to Painter, I thought he was too stubborn to deviate from his standard predictable defense.

By the way, this is at least the second game that Purdue has won because of Lance Jones.
Lance has been amazing!

Reactions: Flot and tjreese
we got a stop in 1/2 or was it 1/3 times?

People can’t say painter doesn’t adjust/has a zone in his back pocket now…he probably was just trolling all of us on here 😂
1/3. They brought it in specifically to contain Buie's inside play. I'm not sure it worked and I don't think we'll see it again.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
It's good to give your opponent a different look when your opponent is shooting lights out...try something different. I cried "Help on the game thread, I can't get up when Purdue went zone. I was floored, maybe he does read these threads?

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

It happened too quick to tell if they were in zone or sag man. It seems the second time they did it Mason was on top and Fletcher was on baseline. Nobody would play them that way in a zone. I need to see the first look, but they matched more clearly so quickly I never got to see the whole alignment.

When I first saw it I thought Purdue was fearful maybe some screen and drive off the out of bounds. I’m going to watch it again maybe tomorrow. If someone sees it before check the location of the Purdue players and if they were close to who they had in man.

I know Matt didn’t deny it, but he really didn’t have much to say about it. Was it TIC? The video will tell.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
It's good to give your opponent a different look when your opponent is shooting lights out...try something different. I cried "Help on the game thread, I can't get up when Purdue went zone. I was floored, maybe he does read these threads?
They were lights out behind the arc. They would be more open in a zone unless they relaxed so much being more open they started missing

I suspect some of those people did not recognize that Purdue was playing zone.
Read on. I need to see both times because the second time I thought I caught Mason on top and Fletcher down low and if what I saw was true nobody playing a pure zone has Mason out on top and Fletcher down low.

If the video actually shows a meaningful alignment and not around who they were guarding then Matt surprised us all. They were out of it so quick it was hard to distinguish a sagging man versus a zone look

No one was clamoring for Colvin in a tight game like this one. In a blowout? Different situation.
If it was last possession and 10 to 20 seconds say, I might stick him in the corner for a potential jumper if really open. There he doesn't have to mesh with the O and any D issues shouldn't surface. That said without the specific instance I mentioned you are correct in that he typically does not get minutes in real close games

Reactions: BoilerDeac

The story is not only has Lance been huge for Purdue, but that guards after 4 years at smaller schools can get to be really good players through that experience...particularly when they are matched up against youth in the tourney. Those good but smaller schools get in the tourney normally when they are older and under the right circumstances and rarely every four years...particularly against bigger schools youth sometimes pose a problem.

I will have to watch the game again, but I think we used a zone for 3 possessions and they scored on 2 of them. So about the same as what they were doing against our MTM prior to that. Not really the game/team I would have thought we would try it, but glad that CMP at least talked about it and did some prep with it. That is all most of us "zone people" have ever asked for, just have it as a tool that can be tried when needed.

To the OP, I think that is why you didn't see anyone of us starting a thread about it. It's all we've ever asked is to have it ready as a tool and be willing to try it. I'm surprised we would try it against this team, but no harm done, they were torching us no matter what we were running!

Reactions: Schnelk
I will have to watch the game again, but I think we used a zone for 3 possessions and they scored on 2 of them. So about the same as what they were doing against our MTM prior to that. Not really the game/team I would have thought we would try it, but glad that CMP at least talked about it and did some prep with it. That is all most of us "zone people" have ever asked for, just have it as a tool that can be tried when needed.

To the OP, I think that is why you didn't see anyone of us starting a thread about it. It's all we've ever asked is to have it ready as a tool and be willing to try it. I'm surprised we would try it against this team, but no harm done, they were torching us no matter what we were running!
Painter mentioned a breakdown on 2 of the 3 possessions.
Smith said something to the effect that he thought it was harder than man defense and they had just installed it before the Northwestern game.

My guess is unless they really practice it, Painter won't be comfortable using it again because of the liability of a breakdown and if you infer a bit from his response to the missed FT's.

Regarding the missed FT's, Painter spoke a lot about the free throw mentality. Can't get mad at a guy for missing FT's because no one tries to miss FT's, but he can get mad at someone for not doing what they were supposed to.

If it was last possession and 10 to 20 seconds say, I might stick him in the corner for a potential jumper if really open. There he doesn't have to mesh with the O and any D issues shouldn't surface. That said without the specific instance I mentioned you are correct in that he typically does not get minutes in real close games
I don’t get warm fuzzies observing Colvin’s body language. He appears flat in comparison with teammates…not excited or terribly engaged. Could just be his personality I guess. The transfer portal has fans worrying and questioning coaching decisions. Hope to see plenty of Myles minutes next year but I can’t say I am overly optimistic.

I don’t get warm fuzzies observing Colvin’s body language. He appears flat in comparison with teammates…not excited or terribly engaged. Could just be his personality I guess. The transfer portal has fans worrying and questioning coaching decisions. Hope to see plenty of Myles minutes next year but I can’t say I am overly optimistic.
It’s his personality …all good

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Painter mentioned a breakdown on 2 of the 3 possessions.
Smith said something to the effect that he thought it was harder than man defense and they had just installed it before the Northwestern game.

My guess is unless they really practice it, Painter won't be comfortable using it again because of the liability of a breakdown and if you infer a bit from his response to the missed FT's.

Regarding the missed FT's, Painter spoke a lot about the free throw mentality. Can't get mad at a guy for missing FT's because no one tries to miss FT's, but he can get mad at someone for not doing what they were supposed to.
If you have it recorded or if it shows up on youtube. I just listed an additional 4 things under the catch the last 1:30 that happened post. I list the times for review and you can see what I wrote as to what happened. Purdue D tried to steal a possession or so, but cost 6pts in about 10-20 seconds of play. Neat out of bounds D by Purdue as a result of scouting. I could see it live opposite of my end and knew it involved Ethan and Braden, but happened so quick I couldn't digest the others. The adjustment of the 4 man dive that resulted in Cam's dunk and last what I think was a mental mistake by Boo. If particulars that are of an interest, I think you might find those times and comments of interest. Even though I show my wife some things, I know she doesn't have as much interest to really understand why.

Last edited:
we got a stop in 1/2 or was it 1/3 times?

People can’t say painter doesn’t adjust/has a zone in his back pocket now…he probably was just trolling all of us on here 😂
That is one epic troll. Getting message boards worked up for over a decade only to spring a zone late in the season of a close game.

Reactions: Flot
Fans ALWAYS question coaches and their decisions and it will continue until the end of time. ;) I'd be shocked if he goes anywhere and do expect him to see minutes next year and although I try not to be a glass half full OR half empty...just that the glass is twice the size needed. ;) I have no informed opinion, but think he and the family know as hard as it is where he needs to improve as well as all of them knowing this Purdue team is just not any team in the nation.

That is one epic troll. Getting message boards worked up for over a decade only to spring a zone late in the season of a close game.
Ugh, you might want to review the times I listed in the last 1:30 left post and see the alignments and results. I wouldn't really know how to describe what they were doing or what they were suppose to be doing, but it cost 6 pts in open 3s over the course of 10-20 seconds they were in play. What I did like on D was how well scouted Purdue was on one of their out of bounds plays...and of course what I consider a mental error by Boo in the final seconds. Purdue won and Wisconsin loss. HUGE game Sunday with pressure on Wisconsin

Ugh, you might want to review the times I listed in the last 1:30 left post and see the alignments and results. I wouldn't really know how to describe what they were doing or what they were suppose to be doing, but it cost 6 pts in open 3s over the course of 10-20 seconds they were in play. What I did like on D was how well scouted Purdue was on one of their out of bounds plays...and of course what I consider a mental error by Boo in the final seconds. Purdue won and Wisconsin loss. HUGE game Sunday with pressure on Wisconsin
Not going to be good at something you don't practice....

We were getting torched no matter what. Not really going to read more into it than that. At least he has it in his mind to try it. Keep working on it in practice and use it again when the MTM is getting beaten. They shot over 60% in the first half, not like the other 95% of our defensive possessions were working either.

Not going to be good at something you don't practice....

We were getting torched no matter what. Not really going to read more into it than that. At least he has it in his mind to try it. Keep working on it in practice and use it again when the MTM is getting beaten. They shot over 60% in the first half, not like the other 95% of our defensive possessions were working either.
No question something will not be good if you don't practice it and maybe not good if you do practice it somewhat dependent on player attributes. Nobody wants Trey in a zone up high with Braden with Lance and Fletch down low. This was some specialty alignment to stop some action around the FT line to the arc it appears. Part of that 60% was 2 for 2 behind the arc. If you review the times I listed you will see some really odd alignments that wouldn't be used in a pure zone and yet for a player that was hot and not directly defended I can't say it was man with a sag either and just not covering a player (you can see Matt yelling at Braden to retreat some to get closer to Berry. This was for Northwestern only I'm guessing trying to steal a possession unless there is some generic approach to defend the mid range a bit different than pure drop by zach as he followed their five man in it. I encourage everyone that has an interest to see the video times , the location of Purdue players, and the movement and such. It was certainly different.

If we see it again with Purdue people in similar spots, then we know the attempt it to play a bit different in the mid-range game possibly. Review the out of bounds I listed. That was definitely something that was scouted that Purdue did well.

I hope it wasn't just for NW. That would be strange to spend the time on one opponent. I've been told by several on here over the years that there isn't time to spend on multiple defenses, so surely there wouldn't be time for one opponent in the middle of the season would there?

Seriously though, I really doubt CMP was so worried about NW that he would try something new just for them. I would guess he is working on some different looks and this was the first game they tried anything. If it was truly just for NW, that would seem to be a waste of valuable practice time.

I hope it wasn't just for NW. That would be strange to spend the time on one opponent. I've been told by several on here over the years that there isn't time to spend on multiple defenses, so surely there wouldn't be time for one opponent in the middle of the season would there?

Seriously though, I really doubt CMP was so worried about NW that he would try something new just for them. I would guess he is working on some different looks and this was the first game they tried anything. If it was truly just for NW, that would seem to be a waste of valuable practice time.
I’d assume (totally speculating) that it’s for when teams try to go ISO and get a switch on the player they want (loyer) and then we can counter with a diff look and make them waste a few seconds or two and get them to think a bit more. It would be cool to see what Maryland did to us and switch from a zone to man at a certain point In the shot clock. That’s tough to do and not sure how efficient it really is.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Actually it is not unusual to put in a twist against certain teams. You would also want to believe that if it was something not for NW he would have practiced it better before using it as you previously said they never practiced it much. It wasn't the way you would play a zone and it wasn't man as typically played either. That is why I'm leaning to a certain action and yet I see two initial alignments very different and the same signal by Matt for both. Who has the same signal for two different alignments? I also see Matt only signaling it when either Fletcher's man or Braden's heading up to the top at 15:40 I think it was and so some signs point to player specific actions or anticipated actions based upon locations...

Purdue didn't do it enough to discern so many conflicting things for better understanding IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT