ADVERTISEMENT

Next Verbal for 2021?

I think IU will end up with McCulley, Booker, and Sales in the class to go along with Cooper, McGraw, and Stenifeldt. That would be the number 3, 6, 7, 9, 10, & 11 ranked recruits in Indiana.

I'd take that...
I would have to disagree with you on McCulley and Sales. I think Purdue will get those two recruits, if they are deciding between IU and Purdue. The other 3 I would agree with you on.

Reactions: Purdue85
Glass house regarding top commits in state this year when Purdue has none compared to IU... anyways... the context of the original poster was both schools recruiting *in-state* at the high level, versus historical standards. And a quick look through the Indiana composite rankings the last few years bears it out.

All top 5 players in the 2019 class went to one of the two. It's possible it will happen again in 2021 with the exception of Fisher. 2020 was a down year for both teams in-state (then again, not a stellar in-state class).. I think the comparison is valid, but to each their own.

you had to moved the goal post to throw out your "glass house" remark.

you had to moved the goal post to throw out your "glass house" remark.
Seriously.. not trying to be combative here, this was a pretty friendly thread until Rowdy came out swinging, but what goal post did I move exactly?

We are talking about in state recruiting, and Rowdy says, "What level ? Average ? I think they were. They’ve got some commits from Indiana, but not any of the top ones." ... 'have got' is present tense, so one would assume he means the current class, hence glass house. If he had said "have gotten" then the current class comparison wouldn't be fair. But I believe it's ok to take it as he said, rather than assume Rowdy doesn't know english.

Seriously.. not trying to be combative here, this was a pretty friendly thread until Rowdy came out swinging, but what goal post did I move exactly?

We are talking about in state recruiting, and Rowdy says, "What level ? Average ? I think they were. They’ve got some commits from Indiana, but not any of the top ones." ... 'have got' is present tense, so one would assume he means the current class, hence glass house. If he had said "have gotten" then the current class comparison wouldn't be fair. But I believe it's ok to take it as he said, rather than assume Rowdy doesn't know english.

Well, you are being a combative, and I'm being nice.

From time to time this board gets infested with IU fans who post like they have something to prove for IU to measure up with Purdue. Then, they post like they have the need to put Purdue fans in their place. On the Purdue forum.

Reactions: JRowdy20
Well, you are being a combative, and I'm being nice.

From time to time this board gets infested with IU fans who post like they have something to prove for IU to measure up with Purdue. Then, they post like they have the need to put Purdue fans in their place. On the Purdue forum.
Yea but it didn't seem like anybody was doing that in this thread which is why Rowdy's chest thumping about this year's in state recruiting seemed bizarre to say the least... anyways... moving along, thread was answered with the kid from Kentucky.

Yea but it didn't seem like anybody was doing that in this thread which is why Rowdy's chest thumping about this year's in state recruiting seemed bizarre to say the least... anyways... moving along, thread was answered with the kid from Kentucky.

No, it wasn't bizarre. What's bizarre is IU fans thinking they need to try to show IU's recruiting as measuring up to Purdue's, on a Purdue forum.

It's pretty clear: IU recruiting is as it has been described in this thread.

No, it wasn't bizarre. What's bizarre is IU fans thinking they need to try to show IU's recruiting as measuring up to Purdue's, on a Purdue forum.

It's pretty clear: IU recruiting is as it has been described in this thread.
Exactly !!! This thread had nothing to do with IU recruiting. To be honest Brohm has raised Purdue’s recruiting to a point where IU is no longer relevant in any argument with Purdue recruiting. We get an IU guy wanting coming on a Purdue bowers wanting some sort of validation and rips me for one little slip up of typing. That’s what happens , we state facts they get personal.

Reactions: Inspector100
IU and Purdue are recruiting almost all the same in state kids. For many of them (e.g. McCulley and Sales), they appear to be the top two choices for these kids.

I personally enjoy the conversations here that discuss these kids and I don't see why anyone would object to a civil back and forth on the subject. Just my two cents.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
IU and Purdue are recruiting almost all the same in state kids. For many of them (e.g. McCulley and Sales), they appear to be the top two choices for these kids.

I personally enjoy the conversations here that discuss these kids and I don't see why anyone would object to a civil back and forth on the subject. Just my two cents.
In theory, I don't disagree.

Unfortunately, your presence has been preceded by others of your "ilk" who refuse to engage in such a manner.

What's more, you're now approaching territory where you appear to be preaching... or scolding. Don't.

On rare occasion do I venture to a rival's forum. I would never think of suggesting to them how they engage someone from another program. I choose my words carefully and rarely have a problem. When I do, I leave it alone and move on.

@wakeman2626 Isn't it clear Purdue wasn’t interested in Larry Smith even though he attended a junior day in January? Hence why he wasn’t offered by us?

Tried twice to extend the olive branch and shift back to the actual topic. Neither I nor any IU fan in this thread made the first comparison between the two school's classes. Simply trying to talk football with other football addicts during a crazy time in the world. Any negativity here forward is no weight on my conscience.

Reactions: Inspector100
Tried twice to extend the olive branch and shift back to the actual topic. Neither I nor any IU fan in this thread made the first comparison between the two school's classes. Simply trying to talk football with other football addicts during a crazy time in the world. Any negativity here forward is no weight on my conscience.

Most of us can have rational discussions on here.

Reactions: wakeman2626

It's very easy to have rational discussion.

First rule for IU fans coming here: Don't act like an @sshole.

If you do, or appear to be headed there, you'll be treated as such.

I didn't create the environment, nor did the other Purdue fans. IU fans did.

Of the top 15 Rivals players in 2021 for the State of IN, we have 3 players in the top 15, IU has 2, Penn State has 1, Notre Dame has 1, and Cincinnati has 1. When do the other top players start to announce?

Do we have the ability to get #2, #3, #4, #5, #9, and #10?

I know we are not pursing #8 as far as I know. Are we going after both #4 and #9, if one of them commits to us before the other, or could one become a DT?

# NAME POS LOCATION HT WT COMMIT STATUS

1 BLAKE [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/blake-fisher-232140']FISHER [/URL]OT

Avon, IN
Avon

6'6" 330
Notre Dame
06/15/19
VERBAL

2 YANNI [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/yanni-karlaftis-219969']KARLAFTIS [/URL]OLB

West Lafayette, IN
West Lafayette

6'3" 215
Undecided

3 DONAVEN [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/donaven-mcculley-232270']MCCULLEY [/URL]DUAL

Indianapolis, IN
Lawrence North

6'3"189
Undecided

4 KYRAN [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/kyran-montgomery-238085']MONTGOMERY [/URL]WDE

Indianapolis, IN
Pike

6'5" 240
Undecided

5 DAYLAN [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/daylan-carnell-205453']CARNELL [/URL]CB

Indianapolis, IN
Ben Davis

6'1" 185
Undecided

6 COOPER [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/cooper-jones-250857']JONES [/URL]SDE

Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso

6'6" 245
Indiana
04/02/20
VERBAL

7 RODNEY [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/rodney-mcgraw-250721']MCGRAW [/URL]WDE

Elkhart, IN
Elkhart Central

6'5" 235
Penn State
05/03/20
VERBAL

8 RON [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/ron-powlus-iii-234091']POWLUS III [/URL]PRO

Mishawaka, IN
Penn

6'3" 235
Undecided

9 AUSTIN BOOKER WDE

Greenwood, IN
Center Grove

6'5" 230
Undecided

10 JOSH [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/josh-sales-257022']SALES [/URL]OT

Brownsburg, IN
Brownsburg

6'6" 285
Undecided

11 AARON [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/aaron-steinfeldt-257622']STEINFELDT [/URL]TE

Bloomington, IN
Bloomington North

6'5" 235
Indiana
04/03/20
VERBAL

12 ZACH [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/zach-richards-256909']RICHARDS [/URL]OG

Mooresville, IN
Mooresville

6'3" 285
Purdue
04/24/20
VERBAL

13 LUKE [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/luke-collinsworth-235748']COLLINSWORTH [/URL]OT

St. Leon, IN
East Central

6'5" 298
Cincinnati
04/03/20
VERBAL

14 PRESTON [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/preston-terrell-205883']TERRELL [/URL]WR

Brownsburg, IN
Brownsburg

6'3" 186
Purdue
09/15/19
VERBAL

15 JAELIN [URL='https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2021/jaelin-alstott-vandevanter-258909']ALSTOTT-VANDEVANTER [/URL]OT

Mooresville, IN
Mooresville

6'6" 275
Purdue
01/09/20
VERBAL

Of the top 15 Rivals players in 2021 for the State of IN, we have 3 players in the top 15, IU has 2, Penn State has 1, Notre Dame has 1, and Cincinnati has 1. When do the other top players start to announce?

I know we are not pursing #8 as far as I know. Are we going after both #4 and #9, if one of them commits to us before the other, or could one become a DT?

1 BLAKE FISHER OT

Avon, IN
Avon

6'6" 330
Notre Dame
06/15/19
VERBAL

2 YANNI KARLAFTIS OLB

West Lafayette, IN
West Lafayette

6'3" 215
Undecided

3 DONAVEN MCCULLEY DUAL

Indianapolis, IN
Lawrence North

6'3"189
Undecided

4 KYRAN MONTGOMERY WDE

Indianapolis, IN
Pike

6'5" 240
Undecided

5 DAYLAN CARNELL CB

Indianapolis, IN
Ben Davis

6'1" 185
Undecided

6 COOPER JONES SDE

Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso

6'6" 245
Indiana
04/02/20
VERBAL

7 RODNEY MCGRAW WDE

Elkhart, IN
Elkhart Central

6'5" 235
Penn State
05/03/20
VERBAL

8 RON POWLUS III PRO

Mishawaka, IN
Penn

6'3" 235
Undecided

9 AUSTIN BOOKER WDE

Greenwood, IN
Center Grove

6'5" 230
Undecided

10 JOSH SALES OT

Brownsburg, IN
Brownsburg

6'6" 285
Undecided

11 AARON STEINFELDT TE

Bloomington, IN
Bloomington North

6'5" 235
Indiana
04/03/20
VERBAL

12 ZACH RICHARDS OG

Mooresville, IN
Mooresville

6'3" 285
Purdue
04/24/20
VERBAL

13 LUKE COLLINSWORTH OT

St. Leon, IN
East Central

6'5" 298
Cincinnati
04/03/20
VERBAL

14 PRESTON TERRELL WR

Brownsburg, IN
Brownsburg

6'3" 186
Purdue
09/15/19
VERBAL

15 JAELIN ALSTOTT-VANDEVANTER OT

Mooresville, IN
Mooresville

6'6" 275
Purdue
01/09/20
VERBAL

We're in a great spot for Karlaftis, McCulley, Carnell, and Sales. Montgomery has us as one of his top schools, but I think we're not as high as we are with those other guys. Doubtful we get Booker.

1 BLAKE FISHER OT

Avon, IN
Avon

6'6" 330
Notre Dame
06/15/19
VERBAL

2 YANNI KARLAFTIS OLB

West Lafayette, IN
West Lafayette

6'3" 215
Undecided

3 DONAVEN MCCULLEY DUAL

Indianapolis, IN
Lawrence North

6'3"189
Undecided

4 KYRAN MONTGOMERY WDE

Indianapolis, IN
Pike

6'5" 240
Undecided

5 DAYLAN CARNELL CB

Indianapolis, IN
Ben Davis

6'1" 185
Undecided

6 COOPER JONES SDE

Valparaiso, IN
Valparaiso

6'6" 245
Indiana
04/02/20
VERBAL

7 RODNEY MCGRAW WDE

Elkhart, IN
Elkhart Central

6'5" 235
Penn State
05/03/20
VERBAL

8 RON POWLUS III PRO

Mishawaka, IN
Penn

6'3" 235
Undecided

9 AUSTIN BOOKER WDE

Greenwood, IN
Center Grove

6'5" 230
Undecided

10 JOSH SALES OT

Brownsburg, IN
Brownsburg

6'6" 285
Undecided

11 AARON STEINFELDT TE

Bloomington, IN
Bloomington North

6'5" 235
Indiana
04/03/20
VERBAL

12 ZACH RICHARDS OG

Mooresville, IN
Mooresville

6'3" 285
Purdue
04/24/20
VERBAL

13 LUKE COLLINSWORTH OT

St. Leon, IN
East Central

6'5" 298
Cincinnati
04/03/20
VERBAL

14 PRESTON TERRELL WR

Brownsburg, IN
Brownsburg

6'3" 186
Purdue
09/15/19
VERBAL

15 JAELIN ALSTOTT-VANDEVANTER OT

Mooresville, IN
Mooresville

6'6" 275
Purdue
01/09/20
VERBAL
Ron Powlus number 8 in the state wow. Seen him play four times and he showed very very little. Maybe as a senior he will be a ton better.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Ron Powlus number 8 in the state wow. Seen him play four times and he showed very very little. Maybe as a senior he will be a ton better.
235 lbs? Geez if he doesn’t pan out at QB maybe we can move him to TE or DE.

235 lbs? Geez if he doesn’t pan out at QB maybe we can move him to TE or DE.
I would agree, but with his dad being rated the number one high school player and attending ND the younger Powlus is most likely a quarterback or bust. Maybe he will take the giant step this year and become the player many people expect.

Not a total shock but disappointing for sure. The kid has a chance to be really good.

On the positive side, IU has Jones committed, and is heavily in the mix with Booker and Montgomery, so the DE class still has a chance to be really good.

Who do you feel most confident with with regards to in-state guys?

Who do you feel most confident with with regards to in-state guys?

At this time, McCulley.

Wiltfong thinks that we're currently leading right now. He's usually tuned in to the kids in the Midwest. Who knows though. We're in the mix with Sales, but who knows who actually leads with him.

Booker is someone that really likes us, but he's getting interest from around the country so who knows.

We're not in the lead pack for Montgomery. The decommit is said to help with him though from a numbers stand point, but we've offered so many defensive ends, I'm not sure the next d end is a in-state kid.

Carnell is a good player and had major programs very interested in him. But he had an academic issue come up that caused a couple to move on. I think he will get that issue taken care of because he is a bright kid with very intelligent parents. So the question will then become do those other programs circle back to him or does he commit elsewhere? I know the school he was most interested in will no longer be on the picture, so that opens it up. But he is a better player than what attention he is receiving currently.

Agree with SKYDOG on Powlus, Jr. Was surprised to see him on the list.

As for McGraw, while disappointing to us fans, seems not to have surprised the coaches. Guess that's why they've still been going heavy on other DEs. I won't be surprised if UM, ND or some other major players come calling for him, that he won't be listening.

Reactions: SKYDOG
We're in a great spot for Karlaftis, McCulley, Carnell, and Sales. Montgomery has us as one of his top schools, but I think we're not as high as we are with those other guys. Doubtful we get Booker.
Where is Booker the most likely to end up?

Agree with SKYDOG on Powlus, Jr. Was surprised to see him on the list.

As for McGraw, while disappointing to us fans, seems not to have surprised the coaches. Guess that's why they've still been going heavy on other DEs. I won't be surprised if UM, ND or some other major players come calling for him, that he won't be listening.

ND has no interest currently in McGraw. I don’t know if it’s academic or what, but they have multiple DE commits in the class & are talking to others & he isn’t even on their board.

Carnell is a good player and had major programs very interested in him. But he had an academic issue come up that caused a couple to move on. I think he will get that issue taken care of because he is a bright kid with very intelligent parents. So the question will then become do those other programs circle back to him or does he commit elsewhere? I know the school he was most interested in will no longer be on the picture, so that opens it up. But he is a better player than what attention he is receiving currently.

What was the issue?

What was the issue?

Bad test score.
Which obviously he can take again multiple times before he graduates.
His father went to Rose Hulman (engineer) & his mother is an accountant I think?
He is very bright but just has coasted a little through school. He will get it taken care of, I have no doubts.

Bad test score.
Which obviously he can take again multiple times before he graduates.
His father went to Rose Hulman (engineer) & his mother is an accountant I think?
He is very bright but just has coasted a little through school. He will get it taken care of, I have no doubts.
I know a lady in Carmel that can help with a bad SAT score...

Not a total shock but disappointing for sure. The kid has a chance to be really good.

On the positive side, IU has Jones committed, and is heavily in the mix with Booker and Montgomery, so the DE class still has a chance to be really good.

Seeing the crystal balls for Booker to Minny is interesting. Thought he was likely headed your way.

Seeing the crystal balls for Booker to Minny is interesting. Thought he was likely headed your way.

Yea, looks like he's going to the Minnesota.

He was definitely someone the staff wanted, no doubt about it.

We've got a lot of offers out to defensive ends, so we'll see where this is gonna go. I've heard we want to take at least two more on the class.

Yea, looks like he's going to the Minnesota.

He was definitely someone the staff wanted, no doubt about it.

We've got a lot of offers out to defensive ends, so we'll see where this is gonna go. I've heard we want to take at least two more on the class.
I saw that yesterday. No doubt Minnesota is on a roll right now, and they are going to sign a very strong class this year.

I think we have a good shot with Montgomery. I remember in one of Brian's YouTube Quarantine videos that it sounded like Montgomery could play both LB and DE in the defense scheme that we have now.

I saw that yesterday. No doubt Minnesota is on a roll right now, and they are going to sign a very strong class this year.

I think we have a good shot with Montgomery. I remember in one of Brian's YouTube Quarantine videos that it sounded like Montgomery could play both LB and DE in the defense scheme that we have now.

I could be mistaken, but I thought that Montgomery had said that his top three were Minnesota, Missouri and Boston College about a month ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT