ADVERTISEMENT

Next Verbal for 2021?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
We just got a new crystal ball pick today from someone that visited us about a week and a half ago. I remember from a recent article that he said that he knew a lot of the Michigan guys on our roster. Next verbal?

Crystal Ball pick for Purdue and recent visitor
VIP ByALLEN TRIEU 5 hours ago

I have put in a Crystal Ball prediction for Purdue and Belleville (Mich.) wide receiver Deion Burks

Would love for it to be Yanni or McCulley
Definitely. Are there any other 4* recruits we are in good position with? I feel like we need an early commit from a stud to get the momentum and buzz going with this class. That has happened the past 2 classes with George and Gus. Would prefer it be a position other than WR.

We have now gotten 4 crystal ball picks for Deion Burks, including a Michigan Insider pick late last night. I think this kid has a great chance of being our next verbal.

Would love for it to be Yanni or McCulley
McCulley update ... he does say Purdue first (not that that means much) ...

Indianapolis (Ind.) Lawrence North four-star quarterback Donaven McCulley has been communicating strongly with a few programs at this point in his recruitment.

“Purdue, Indiana and Mizzou,” he told 247Sports on Tuesday afternoon.

The No. 3 prospect in the Hoosier State and No. 12 dual-threat passer nationally per the 247Sports Composite is certainly coveted by the two in-state programs. McCulley has been to both programs twice to date.

Offensive coordinator Nick Sheridan is leading the charge for the Hoosiers.

“He’s just a real cool guy,” McCulley said. “I can really talk to him like a normal person.”

Tom Allen and the rest of the program have made the 6-foot-5, 195-pound McCulley feel comfortable too.

“IU their coaching staff really excites me,” he said. “I like how they’re all about family. They love you in Bloomington.”

Eron Hodges and JaMarcus Shephard are the two McCulley talks to at Purdue.

“Really they want me to come in and play early,” McCulley said. “That’s what excites me most about them. Their coaching staff and knowing that they want me to come in and play early and they really like me.”

McCulley was supposed to visit Missouri on March 14 but had that canceled because of the Coronavirus ramifications.

“They’re recruiting me as an athlete,” he said. I’m open to that.”

Ole Miss and LSU are two other programs starting to show interest in McCulley. We’ll see what happens moving forward as programs continue to evaluate.

“His growth as a junior came from his confidence to lead the team,” Lawrence North head coach Pat Mallory told 247Sports earlier this year, emphasizing how coachable McCulley is. “He’s a great kid. He wants to be good and he wants to be good at everything. He gets to class on time, he smiles, he’s happy go lucky, all the teachers like him, he’s truly a lovable kid.

Then you have the tangibles.

“He can stand at a goal line and throw it to the other goal line. His arm strength is ridiculous.”

Deion Burks is committing May 13th. Still 100% CB for Purdue. Also, Buddin is close to committing. They want to play together so that could be a good thing for Purdue. I think Buddin will be very very difficult to pull away from Michigan/MSU, but man would he fit the system. Purdue’s recent strength has been LB. But, next year that will be one of the biggest question marks. It would seem the path for playing time for Buddin would be very short and he could make a difference right away. And Purdue has been putting linebackers in the league.

Just something to watch.

Deion Burks is committing May 13th. Still 100% CB for Purdue. Also, Buddin is close to committing. They want to play together so that could be a good thing for Purdue. I think Buddin will be very very difficult to pull away from Michigan/MSU, but man would he fit the system. Purdue’s recent strength has been LB. But, next year that will be one of the biggest question marks. It would seem the path for playing time for Buddin would be very short and he could make a difference right away. And Purdue has been putting linebackers in the league.

Just something to watch.
I like how we are hitting the state of Michigan hard over the last 2 to 3 years, and we are starting to see results. I would disagree that our recent strength has been LB though. Except for Bailey and Bentley, I think we have been extremely weak at LB for the last few years. That is why people like Buddin and Yanni are going to be key to this 2021 class and our new defensive scheme.

I like how we are hitting the state of Michigan hard over the last 2 to 3 years, and we are starting to see results. I would disagree that our recent strength has been LB though. Except for Bailey and Bentley, I think we have been extremely weak at LB for the last few years. That is why people like Buddin and Yanni are going to be key to this 2021 class and our new defensive scheme.
I would love to know what the pitch is to Yanni, as far as playing time. Seems they pretty much guaranteed guys like George, Rondale, and Bell that they would play a lot/start right away.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I would love to know what the pitch is to Yanni, as far as playing time. Seems they pretty much guaranteed guys like George, Rondale, and Bell that they would play a lot/start right away.
With his talent, and our lack of proven talent at LB, similar to his brother, he probably starts week 1. I am not sure we would need to guarantee anything, but I am sure they are telling him that he has the ability to start his freshman year.

I haven't ever seen anywhere that Brohm has guaranteed anyone PT. In fact, I'd be surprised to find that the case (it seems sleazy). Have I missed something?
He says "opportunity to play early."

I think they told GK and RM they would play from day 1.

I haven't ever seen anywhere that Brohm has guaranteed anyone PT. In fact, I'd be surprised to find that the case (it seems sleazy). Have I missed something?
Hodges tweets about it all the time, especially during last season where we had freshmen scoring all our touchdowns for that stretch.

And I don’t think it’s sleazy at all, if you back it up. It’s a great way to differentiate yourself against the bluebloods. That’s one of the ways they are beating them for some of these kids. And the kids talk about it after they commit sometimes, “the coaches say I will play as a true freshman”, etc etc.

I mean, telling GK he would start as a true freshman is more like common sense than anything else. Conversely, a kid like Terry McLaurin pretty much rode the pine for 2-3 years at OSU.

Obviously it is harder to promise 2021 kids early playing time than 2018 or 2019 kids, due the improvement in the roster overall.

Hodges tweets about it all the time, especially during last season where we had freshmen scoring all our touchdowns for that stretch.

And I don’t think it’s sleazy at all, if you back it up. It’s a great way to differentiate yourself against the bluebloods. That’s one of the ways they are beating them for some of these kids. And the kids talk about it after they commit sometimes, “the coaches say I will play as a true freshman”, etc etc.

I mean, telling GK he would start as a true freshman is more like common sense than anything else. Conversely, a kid like Terry McLaurin pretty much rode the pine for 2-3 years at OSU.

Obviously it is harder to promise 2021 kids early playing time than 2018 or 2019 kids, due the improvement in the roster overall.

So they promised PT.

yes, it has a sleazy feel to it. But, you did have a qualifier... "if"...

I'm not splitting hairs, but it's one thing to have a conversation about current roster talent, and quite another to make promises.

If that's truly happening (and not simply inferred from tweets), the first time it doesn't come to be it's going to screw Brohm going forward. His reputation will be finished.

So they promised PT.

yes, it has a sleazy feel to it. But, you did have a qualifier... "if"...

I'm not splitting hairs, but it's one thing to have a conversation about current roster talent, and quite another to make promises.

If that's truly happening (and not simply inferred from tweets), the first time it doesn't come to be it's going to screw Brohm going forward. His reputation will be finished.
They all do it.

You might be right. It's entirely possible I'm naive. I'm not sure how we would know they all do it.

Besides, if they all do it, there's no differentiation.
“You’ll play right away here, see... just like Karlaftis, Rondale, and Bell.”

Little more effective when you can point to all the true freshmen who are playing. But you have to be selective with it, no doubt, and even more so over time. I doubt that most of this year’s WRs got the same spiel that Moore and Bell did, for example.

“You’ll play right away here, see... just like Karlaftis, Rondale, and Bell.”

Little more effective when you can point to all the true freshmen who are playing. But you have to be selective with it, no doubt, and even more so over time. I doubt that most of this year’s WRs got the same spiel that Moore and Bell did, for example.

Okay, that makes sense. Of course, that's not a "guarantee".

One, you don't have to be Rondale or Bell to get receive that message.

Two, that's just the we way we roll here right now: everyone gets a chance!

You sure as hell better believe recruits are hearing that. That's just the normal pitch for us right now! (As it should be!)

You can still point to it going forward when recruiting 4 and 5 star kids but not lesser recruits.

Okay, that makes sense. Of course, that's not a "guarantee".

One, you don't have to be Rondale or Bell to get receive that message.

Two, that's just the we way we roll here right now: everyone gets a chance!

You sure as hell better believe recruits are hearing that. That's just the normal pitch for us right now! (As it should be!)
“You will” would sound like a promise/guarantee to me, but to each their own.

Sorry, I thought I was clear, I got stuck on the word "guarantee".

We won 9 of 48 games from 2013-2016. We have had three freshmen All Americans the last two years. Opportunity to play early resonates with all recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT