ADVERTISEMENT

Newman...

The issue is that Tre isn't mobile enough to guard a big that can shoot from the outside. Look, Tre is great and I wouldn't trade him. But Big Man U is not the way the modern college basketball game is played.

I would just be happy if Tre stopped trying to be Meadowlark Lemon with all the no look passes that have a less than 50% success rate. That isn’t the Washington Generals they are playing.

Big Newman fan. For all the good things, he is not the best ballhandler for a guard and has a tendency to throw the ball to the other team at the top of the key (although others on the team surprisingly have the issue). Newman also has a tendency to disappear on his own if his first couple of shots don't go down. Its like a completely different player. If I'm noticing it, surely the coaches do too. Hopefully, he and Ivey hang out a lot and Newman gets some of that Ivey mojo.

Newman fizzling out for whatever reason, to me, is why we are no longer playing.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Not enough !!!!!

d675bc21-a9a3-411a-8285-c2b7139ff1e7_text.gif

Big Newman fan. For all the good things, he is not the best ballhandler for a guard and has a tendency to throw the ball to the other team at the top of the key (although others on the team surprisingly have the issue). Newman also has a tendency to disappear on his own if his first couple of shots don't go down. Its like a completely different player. If I'm noticing it, surely the coaches do too. Hopefully, he and Ivey hang out a lot and Newman gets some of that Ivey mojo.

Newman fizzling out for whatever reason, to me, is why we are no longer playing.
Blame it on Bo. When Boroski stole that 3 from him it broke him.

I sometimes think that Wolegib is @tjreese burning account. Two people who make posts the length of a PhD dissertation.
I can assure you that is not the case. ;) I try to be specific on various things relative to fundamentals and some strategy. You can use that to detect a difference between me and some shorter, more vague comments...or long general comments. BTW, I was thinking about Wole a while back. Hope all is well...

Furst and Kaufman are steps in the right direction I think
Personally, I would love for those two to get time together next year if just a few minutes each game possible. My natural preference is a 1,2,3,4 and 4. Can't dismiss the importance of Tre and Zach either, but yeah those two give a bit quicker post players that can step out a bit as well...just in case Purdue needs a more mobile offense/defense . ;)

Reactions: DAG10
Not saying Sasha should start but Purdue was a missed free throw from the final four with Ryan Cline and Grady Eifert both starting and most likely playing around 25+ minutes. Neither of those 2 could create their own shot but I am pretty sure they probably created some headaches for opposing coaches.

Too early to proclaim anyone’s value next season. Many here wanted Grady to just pass out towels when that season started.

Yeah, and those guys played with Carsen Edwards. A college superstar scoring dynamo whose game hid the weaknesses of Grady and Cline more than usual.

Maybe Ivey can fill that Carsen role, but the goal is not to have to have a superstar carry the load like Carsen. That recipe may work once in a while, but not many Carsen Edwards come walking through the door.

Yeah, and those guys played with Carsen Edwards. A college superstar scoring dynamo whose game hid the weaknesses of Grady and Cline more than usual.

Maybe Ivey can fill that Carsen role, but the goal is not to have to have a superstar carry the load like Carsen. That recipe may work once in a while, but not many Carsen Edwards come walking through the door.

I just finished watching 2 shooters just like Carsen in Boehiem and McNeil for Syracuse and West Virginia proving long range shooting is not a lost art. Ivy and the bigs will create many wide open perimeter looks next year. Would be nice to see someone or more develop the ability to shoot it like Grady. When Grady was open from 3, I expected it to go in. This year, when they were open from 3, I could only hope it went in.

I just finished watching 2 shooters just like Carsen in Boehiem and McNeil for Syracuse and West Virginia proving long range shooting is not a lost art. Ivy and the bigs will create many wide open perimeter looks next year. Would be nice to see someone or more develop the ability to shoot it like Grady. When Grady was open from 3, I expected it to go in. This year, when they were open from 3, I could only hope it went in.

Oh, by no means do I think shooting is a lost art haha. Shooting is more important in the game of basketball now, maybe than ever before.

I do think that being able to create your own shot is important, but yeah, it seems like Purdue is in good hands with the incoming talent.

Our guards need to be able to shoot it better than Hunter did this year from deep.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Oh, by no means do I think shooting is a lost art haha. Shooting is more important in the game of basketball now, maybe than ever before.

I do think that being able to create your own shot is important, but yeah, it seems like Purdue is in good hands with the incoming talent.

Our guards need to be able to shoot it better than Hunter did this year from deep.

I did not mean you thought it was a lost art. It seems players do not seem to make it a priority. Poor technique for some make it obvious coaches are not making it a priority either.

I think we are on same page about what is needed.

TOLD YOU SO !!!!!! talent is better than experience. there is no benefit from redshirting players ! talent wins games, not experience.

TELL me again how redshirting players has made a difference at Purdue!

TOLD YOU SO !!!!!! talent is better than experience. there is no benefit from redshirting players ! talent wins games, not experience.

In this day of college hoops there's no reason to redshirt guys unless one is hurt or if one is a 7 foot big that is skinny and needs a yr to fill out.

Reactions: JohnHoosierr

You seriously posted this after watching an arguably more talented Purdue team lose to a team starting 4 seniors and a junior. One was a REDSHIRT senior.

You seriously posted this after watching an arguably more talented Purdue team lose to a team starting 4 seniors and a junior. One was a REDSHIRT senior.
On cue attempting to be a contrarian to stir the pot only to look foolish once again. At least it was only a paragraph.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Appreciate all the ad hominems directed towards me, but all it does is reinforce my points. Can anyone tell me where I am wrong? How you disagree with me? I really, really want to be wrong so please someone actually debate me instead of acting like a 13 year old with their first experience on an internet forum.

Look we all want Purdue to be great, its why we are all here and I still think Painter can get us there, but his decisions just have me concerned. I want to know if anyone else saw it like I did or if/how they saw it differently. Also, you know I'm not Wole because my original post didn't include some story about a D1 track son or whatever he always says. I tried to warn at the beginning it was long!

Painter taking him out of the starting lineup and inserting Sasha I believe the Nebraska game was a screw up. I really believe it affected Newman's confidence, Sasha as a 4th year player was the better option to come off the bench, I didn't like it when the move was made, it was the wrong move on his part.
???

So... a coach is supposed to play players when it strokes their egos (confidence).

That really sounds like the OPPOSITE of what coaches should do, as well as what brings success.

I see that as a glass-half-empty take. I see it as Grady and Cline complimented Carsen's phenomenal shooting skills to make the team complete.

LOL! Yes, you sure proved how right you are. :rolleyes:

I see that as a glass-half-empty take. I see it as Grady and Cline complimented Carsen's phenomenal shooting skills to make the team complete.

I also think Cline and Grady complimented Carsen’s phenomenal shooting and scoring skills.

I also think, at times, we maybe relied a bit too heavily on Carsen, partially because of how good he was, but partially because nobody else was really capable of creating his own shot.

Maybe both can be true?

???

So... a coach is supposed to play players when it strokes their egos (confidence).

That really sounds like the OPPOSITE of what coaches should do, as well as what brings success.
Newman was playing fine until he left the starting lineup, Painter put Sasha back because he probably figured it wasn't right to replace him since he got Covid, Newman started most of the season.

Newman was playing fine until he left the starting lineup, Painter put Sasha back because he probably figured it wasn't right to replace him since he got Covid, Newman started most of the season.

Not sure what it means to be "playing fine". Whether you (or I) like it or not, Painter is going make changes. Newman wasn't exactly lighting it up (wasn't horrible, either).

Unless you have more substance than he was "playing fine", I've gotta go with the coaches on this one.

If his .... "confidence" ... is so fragile, I'm not sure why you're complaining about Painter's decision. Based on your assessment, that's not an argument why he should be a starter.

Not saying Sasha should start but Purdue was a missed free throw from the final four with Ryan Cline and Grady Eifert both starting and most likely playing around 25+ minutes. Neither of those 2 could create their own shot but I am pretty sure they probably created some headaches for opposing coaches.

Too early to proclaim anyone’s value next season. Many here wanted Grady to just pass out towels when that season started.
If Painter recruits a 4 that can just beat out a walk on, that 4 probably grabs a rebound on a free throw.

Reactions: PUBV
Newman was prob my favorite player until Sasha came back. Straight downhill after. I wish he had left him in as starter as, IMO, he had earned it with his play and production (29 pts in one game, etc). Really think that was a big mistake by CMP as Sasha was never the same ROS.

I will be very disappointed if he portals, or whatever. Don't do it kid!!

Reactions: Bippus33
For some reason, it seemed like Painter trusted SS a lot more than Newman. It also seemed like when Newman played, if he didn't hit a shot early or made a bad foul, it was tough for him to get back into the groove. That's not unexpected though, sometimes it takes a guy a little time to work up a sweat, but Painter wasn't giving Newman enough PT to get into the flow.

I looked at his season stats and that Nebraska game is when he cratered. I get he is young and kids hit that wall which sucks because he was playing some good basketball before that.

Crazy that he only missed 2 free throws all year. Granted he only took 32 free throws which seems low to me especially compared to Ivey who took 73.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT