ADVERTISEMENT

Newman...

Newman to me seemed to be impacted by how the game was called more than anyone on the team. I'd have to go back and get specifics, but there were times where he was showing signs of coming around when a bad call against him comes and then he seemed to over think things and disappeared.

His mythical travel on his 3 pointer that one time comes to mind. Which if so, is a mental thing he will get through as he matures.

That being said, there is more than enough minutes for him and Sasha to be on the same team and I have little doubt Painter tells him that in some degree.

I think there will be a couple who head to the Portal. Is Newman a candidate?
I think Newman for a first year player had a decent year, I would hope he sticks around and starts next year, no reason not to. I've been saying 2-3 leave, if it's 3 one player needs to be brought in, maybe if it's 2 it might be wise. I think Dow retires or moves on, I think Wheeler moves down to a smaller program with hopes of being a 25 minute a game player, can't blame him as minutes at Purdue will be limited. Thompson is a niche 10 minute a game player, if he wants more minutes he can get that at a lower level as well, I think and hope he stays. Also, if all want to stay I'm fine with that as well, would be a helluve dogfight for minutes except in Dow's case, there's no minutes for him.

Newman to me seemed to be impacted by how the game was called more than anyone on the team. I'd have to go back and get specifics, but there were times where he was showing signs of coming around when a bad call against him comes and then he seemed to over think things and disappeared.

His mythical travel on his 3 pointer that one time comes to mind. Which if so, is a mental thing he will get through as he matures.

That being said, there is more than enough minutes for him and Sasha to be on the same team and I have little doubt Painter tells him that in some degree.
That’s a great point. I recall a few drives to the rim that he got some serious contact and ended up with no calls. A few of those go the other way and he is probably more confident.

Reactions: Level 42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT