ADVERTISEMENT

Newman...

purduedavie

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
Painter taking him out of the starting lineup and inserting Sasha I believe the Nebraska game was a screw up. I really believe it affected Newman's confidence, Sasha as a 4th year player was the better option to come off the bench, I didn't like it when the move was made, it was the wrong move on his part.

Painter taking him out of the starting lineup and inserting Sasha I believe the Nebraska game was a screw up. I really believe it affected Newman's confidence, Sasha as a 4th year player was the better option to come off the bench, I didn't like it when the move was made, it was the wrong move on his part.
It was a "damn if you do, damn if you don't move". Sasha needed his confidence back by being put in the lineup. However, I'm completely and utterly disappointed in Sasha's play and leadership the past 2 games. Looking back, I would rather he be a casualty of confidence than Newman, as Newman has a significantly higher upside...

It was a "damn if you do, damn if you don't move". Sasha needed his confidence back by being put in the lineup. However, I'm completely and utterly disappointed in Sasha's play and leadership the past 2 games. Looking back, I would rather he be a casualty of confidence than Newman, as Newman has a significantly higher upside...
Me as well, going forward Sasha needs to be the 6th/7th man, he's a decent player, however, on a team with final 4 aspirations he needs to be a bench player getting 15 minutes a game, Hunter possibly as well but he does play hard nose defense.

The fact is Sasha pre-covid and post-covid were completely different players. If we had the productivity (on both ends of the court) from Sasha the later half of the season that we saw from him pre-covid...this is a completely different team.

Whats even more crazy is I felt newman was one of our best perimeter defenders too. Very quick feet, blocked shots, took pride in it.. early in the year we used to run him looping off screens for drives to the basket then stopped

Honestly feel the season was lost off this fact alone of not starting him anymore.

Really cant digest this loss it just continues to anger me. Such a great opportunity for a young team WASTED

Whats even more crazy is I felt newman was one of our best perimeter defenders too. Very quick feet, blocked shots, took pride in it.. early in the year we used to run him looping off screens for drives to the basket then stopped

Honestly feel the season was lost off this fact alone of not starting him anymore.

Really cant digest this loss it just continues to anger me. Such a great opportunity for a young team WASTED
right. early in the season, he was playing good man-on-man defense, but still getting lost on team defense.

That strong man-on-man defense was exactly what yesterday's game called for

I would like to see Sasha’s home vs. away splits. I’m not sure he was ever very effective away from Mackey this season.

I’m afraid it might come down to Sasha or Newman going forward. Just the way things are going in college basketball.

Reactions: DAG10

Painter gonna Painter.

Once he got pulled out of the starting lineup, I felt he became one dimensional. He has a great midrange jumper and has shown ability to drive. Once he got pulled, he seemed to hesitate on his three pointer and the driving disappeared.

He is still young and will see how he regroups this offseason.

Reactions: DAG10 and CRBoiler
There’s a reason Sasha wasn’t heavily recruited by high-major programs.

Elite shooter with an incredibly quick release, but defensive liability who cannot really create his own shot.

Can’t have someone like him average 25+ minutes and expect to make runs to the final four.
Not only that, before COVID I believe he was averaging the most minutes of any player on the team. I remember pointing out that simply can’t happen for a team with FF aspirations back then.

Not only that, before COVID I believe he was averaging the most minutes of any player on the team. I remember pointing out that simply can’t happen for a team with FF aspirations back then.
Painter teams have this issue with these special three point shooters. Ryne Smith, Cline, Mathias all had issues on D they all got serviceable. Sasha has gotten better , but in this specific game, against these guards it was a match up problem.

Elite shooter with an incredibly quick release, but defensive liability who cannot really create his own shot.

Can’t have someone like him average 25+ minutes and expect to make runs to the final four.
I agree 100%, 15 minutes a game and he's a useful player, good teams need guys like him, they don't need guys though that play more minutes than need be.

Reactions: wallyboiler79
I would like to see Sasha’s home vs. away splits. I’m not sure he was ever very effective away from Mackey this season.

I’m afraid it might come down to Sasha or Newman going forward. Just the way things are going in college basketball.
Going forward it needs to be Newman, Sasha will be fine with a backup 6th/7th man role.

Reactions: Schnelk
Painter teams have this issue with these special three point shooters. Ryne Smith, Cline, Mathias all had issues on D they all got serviceable. Sasha has gotten better , but in this specific game, against these guards it was a match up problem.
I like Sasha, not taking a shot at him, he's limited though, taking Newman out wasn't wise.

This is it. This is the thread. This is the most important topic of discussion for the postseason if we are being honest because it shows something very scary about our current head coach: after 16 seasons he still doesn't understand personnel decisions. On top of it, this was an incredibly easy coaching decision that for some reason everyone saw except for CMP.

Let me start by saying I don't post often (hence the name) so this might be a bit of a rant but this topic is the number #1 thing on my mind about the season and what I have been discussing with my Purdue people since the change happened. This season was lost the moment CMP decided to start Sasha over Newman.

At the beginning of the season, I couldn't believe how fun Newman was to watch. He scored, he hustled on defense, and he created offense for those around him. The team was better when he was on the court. In fact, he started to have the E'twaun Moore a.k.a. Silent Assassin effect: I would think "Newman played pretty meh this game" then check the box score and see Newman stuffed the stat sheet, again. So needless to say, I started to get super excited when I imagined what this team would look like with an E'twaun and a Carsen on the floor at same time. Then Sasha got Covid.

Post-Covid Sasha wasn't the same, which isn't his fault. Ivey had obviously played himself into a starting role, so CMP had a decision to make. Sasha then proceeds to make three 3 pointers in like a minute during a game well in hand, and CMP decides that's enough for Sasha to start over Newman. So now imagine you are Newman. You have started on every team you've ever played for, your coach recommended you redshirt so you do it, you work your tail off, you watch a team perform miserably for a season as you sit on the bench knowing you could contribute if asked, you do everything your coach tells you to do, you earn a starting spot the following season on a ranked/upper half B1G team, you earn B1G freshman of the week, you score 29 points in a game, and next thing you know you aren't starting and your minutes are reduced so that Sasha can have more time in his post-covid form? Newman did literally nothing wrong and was all of sudden being treated like he is the 6th best player on the team (spoiler: he isn't).

So now we have a mentally distraught, betrayed, confused freshman that feels the need to force everything on offense and defense to prove to his coach that he deserves to start again. On offense when he touches the ball, he is thinking about how its probably going to be one of his only shots of the game so he HAS to make it or he will be pulled. If he doesn't do the exact pass in the offensive set they are running as he was coached, he will be pulled (leading to passes getting picked off). If he doesn't play extra hard on defense he will be pulled (leading to over helping on the drive or going for steals at risky moments). 100% caused by Painter basically telling him he isn't good enough anymore.

What's the solution? Easy: Start Newman so he continues to play like a consistent threat to win B1G freshman of the week and have Sasha come off the bench, even if Sasha comes into the game in the first 90 seconds. Sasha has been coming off the bench his whole career and can handle the mental that comes with it. I would argue that every player in the junior class plays like the perfect 6th man for their position, but that's for another thread. How did CMP not see this? Did none of his coaches mention this to him? Did no one actually see what had happened? I also don't see how any of the answers to these questions are acceptable for a coach in his 16th season. Kinda feels like CMP may have surrounded himself with yes-men, doesn't it?

I admit I was an 'Ainter until the Carsen years, but he converted me with his ability to change his team based on his personnel and picked up recruiting. The personnel coaching decisions made this season has me back to being skeptical because these are easy decisions you expect all coaches to see at basically any level, so for our coach to let this happen gives me angst that he still hasn't learned how to actually manage personnel on a team. It has me looking back on the past teams that also lost early in the tournament and makes me wonder if he also destroyed the psyche of those teams as well. Unless lead by an insanely strong personality that can lead through his coaching (CK, CE), CMP's teams always seem to play in important tournament games like they are on eggshells and will be yanked for the slightest mistake. This is now a constant and has happened multiple times with different teams. People on this forum are starting to talk about the offensive disappearance of Gillis towards the end of the season, but the issue is you can tell by the way Gillis plays he is extremely coachable. HE doesn't do things on his own, rebounds hard, always trying to help the team. My guess is Gillis was specifically coached to shoot less, but that's pure speculation. I just don't see Gillis changing his game that dramatically through a season without being coached to do so.

This is our coach, CMP, in his 16th season. A child that was born the day Painter was hired would be legally able to drive a car today. I don't think he should be fired, and am not suggesting anything close to that, but this is just coaching 101 stuff he is still getting wrong and that makes me nervous for the future. Thank you for coming to my TED talk. /endrant

This is it. This is the thread. This is the most important topic of discussion for the postseason if we are being honest because it shows something very scary about our current head coach: after 16 seasons he still doesn't understand personnel decisions. On top of it, this was an incredibly easy coaching decision that for some reason everyone saw except for CMP.

Let me start by saying I don't post often (hence the name) so this might be a bit of a rant but this topic is the number #1 thing on my mind about the season and what I have been discussing with my Purdue people since the change happened. This season was lost the moment CMP decided to start Sasha over Newman.

At the beginning of the season, I couldn't believe how fun Newman was to watch. He scored, he hustled on defense, and he created offense for those around him. The team was better when he was on the court. In fact, he started to have the E'twaun Moore a.k.a. Silent Assassin effect: I would think "Newman played pretty meh this game" then check the box score and see Newman stuffed the stat sheet, again. So needless to say, I started to get super excited when I imagined what this team would look like with an E'twaun and a Carsen on the floor at same time. Then Sasha got Covid.

Post-Covid Sasha wasn't the same, which isn't his fault. Ivey had obviously played himself into a starting role, so CMP had a decision to make. Sasha then proceeds to make three 3 pointers in like a minute during a game well in hand, and CMP decides that's enough for Sasha to start over Newman. So now imagine you are Newman. You have started on every team you've ever played for, your coach recommended you redshirt so you do it, you work your tail off, you watch a team perform miserably for a season as you sit on the bench knowing you could contribute if asked, you do everything your coach tells you to do, you earn a starting spot the following season on a ranked/upper half B1G team, you earn B1G freshman of the week, you score 29 points in a game, and next thing you know you aren't starting and your minutes are reduced so that Sasha can have more time in his post-covid form? Newman did literally nothing wrong and was all of sudden being treated like he is the 6th best player on the team (spoiler: he isn't).

So now we have a mentally distraught, betrayed, confused freshman that feels the need to force everything on offense and defense to prove to his coach that he deserves to start again. On offense when he touches the ball, he is thinking about how its probably going to be one of his only shots of the game so he HAS to make it or he will be pulled. If he doesn't do the exact pass in the offensive set they are running as he was coached, he will be pulled (leading to passes getting picked off). If he doesn't play extra hard on defense he will be pulled (leading to over helping on the drive or going for steals at risky moments). 100% caused by Painter basically telling him he isn't good enough anymore.

What's the solution? Easy: Start Newman so he continues to play like a consistent threat to win B1G freshman of the week and have Sasha come off the bench, even if Sasha comes into the game in the first 90 seconds. Sasha has been coming off the bench his whole career and can handle the mental that comes with it. I would argue that every player in the junior class plays like the perfect 6th man for their position, but that's for another thread. How did CMP not see this? Did none of his coaches mention this to him? Did no one actually see what had happened? I also don't see how any of the answers to these questions are acceptable for a coach in his 16th season. Kinda feels like CMP may have surrounded himself with yes-men, doesn't it?

I admit I was an 'Ainter until the Carsen years, but he converted me with his ability to change his team based on his personnel and picked up recruiting. The personnel coaching decisions made this season has me back to being skeptical because these are easy decisions you expect all coaches to see at basically any level, so for our coach to let this happen gives me angst that he still hasn't learned how to actually manage personnel on a team. It has me looking back on the past teams that also lost early in the tournament and makes me wonder if he also destroyed the psyche of those teams as well. Unless lead by an insanely strong personality that can lead through his coaching (CK, CE), CMP's teams always seem to play in important tournament games like they are on eggshells and will be yanked for the slightest mistake. This is now a constant and has happened multiple times with different teams. People on this forum are starting to talk about the offensive disappearance of Gillis towards the end of the season, but the issue is you can tell by the way Gillis plays he is extremely coachable. HE doesn't do things on his own, rebounds hard, always trying to help the team. My guess is Gillis was specifically coached to shoot less, but that's pure speculation. I just don't see Gillis changing his game that dramatically through a season without being coached to do so.

This is our coach, CMP, in his 16th season. A child that was born the day Painter was hired would be legally able to drive a car today. I don't think he should be fired, and am not suggesting anything close to that, but this is just coaching 101 stuff he is still getting wrong and that makes me nervous for the future. Thank you for coming to my TED talk. /endrant
Nice. You left little doubt why the place is called Knucklehead Central.

Not saying Sasha should start but Purdue was a missed free throw from the final four with Ryan Cline and Grady Eifert both starting and most likely playing around 25+ minutes. Neither of those 2 could create their own shot but I am pretty sure they probably created some headaches for opposing coaches.

Too early to proclaim anyone’s value next season. Many here wanted Grady to just pass out towels when that season started.

Not saying Sasha should start but Purdue was a missed free throw from the final four with Ryan Cline and Grady Eifert both starting and most likely playing around 25+ minutes. Neither of those 2 could create their own shot but I am pretty sure they probably created some headaches for opposing coaches.

Too early to proclaim anyone’s value next season. Many here wanted Grady to just pass out towels when that season started.
We were a missed FT against both OSU and NTex from avoiding a loss as well.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
A 2-game losing streak is a tough way to end the season. Both games ended in overtime with Purdue having the momentum after strong comebacks. But the most sure way to turn momentum against you is to make dumb plays.
It seemed like all the things that got us back in it we said “meh, let’s not do that again”.

Side note, I want Painter and staff calling to get Loyola on the schedule next year.

Great guard play is becoming more evident in this tourney. The days of having bigs that are non-mobile and can't shoot from mid-range or the outside are virtually over. Tre and Edey will need to make some pretty big adjustments if we want to compete for a Final Four.

Great guard play is becoming more evident in this tourney. The days of having bigs that are non-mobile and can't shoot from mid-range or the outside are virtually over. Tre and Edey will need to make some pretty big adjustments if we want to compete for a Final Four.

If bigs aren’t valuable, why do they double team them?

It takes outside shooting to make them pay for the double team. Purdue shooters could not make them pay this season.

I think it is a give and take. For conference play, you need that pound and ground type offense in conference and be ready to pivot in the tourney against teams who have small bigs who want to run.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DAG10
If bigs aren’t valuable, why do they double team them?

It takes outside shooting to make them pay for the double team. Purdue shooters could not make them pay this season.
You just made my point. It's easier to double team bigs than stop guards who can both penetrate and shoot the ball. It's exactly what we saw from UNT...

You just made my point. It's easier to double team bigs than stop guards who can both penetrate and shoot the ball. It's exactly what we saw from UNT...

I respectfully disagree. NT could penetrate because they were draining wide open 3’s and Purdue had to get out on them allowing penetration off the dribble.

I respectfully disagree. NT could penetrate because they were draining wide open 3’s and Purdue had to get out on them allowing penetration off the dribble.
Ugh, are you actually reading my posts? Or are you just responding so you can disagree? Because what I said is exactly what you disagreed with and then said again...

Ugh, are you actually reading my posts? Or are you just responding so you can disagree? Because what I said is exactly what you disagreed with and then said again...

I am reading your post and we are seeing the same thing only different. We are only disagreeing from a Purdue stand point. Purdue’s bigs are a big problem for opponents. Their value is diminished because the guards are bad shooters. The guards ability to penetrate is also diminished because they are bad shooters. Improve shooting and the bigs dominate.

I am reading your post and we are seeing the same thing only different. We are only disagreeing from a Purdue stand point. Purdue’s bigs are a big problem for opponents. Their value is diminished because the guards are bad shooters. The guards ability to penetrate is also diminished because they are bad shooters. Improve shooting and the bigs dominate.
The difference is if you have guards that can shoot and penetrate, you don't need dominant bigs. You just need a serviceable big who can rim protect and rebound.

The difference is if you have guards that can shoot and penetrate, you don't need dominant bigs. You just need a serviceable big who can rim protect and rebound.

So we cut Edey and Tre and load up on who? Play you are coach and make us better next year.

Why not have both? Since we already have good centers. Youre making an argument I dont understand, as we have a 1st team big10 center, and all freshman in Edey. Get good gaurds, thats a no brainer.

Reactions: tjreese and Hardg
Why not have both? Since we already have good centers. Youre making an argument I dont understand, as we have a 1st team big10 center, and all freshman in Edey. Get good gaurds, thats a no brainer.
The issue is that Tre isn't mobile enough to guard a big that can shoot from the outside. Look, Tre is great and I wouldn't trade him. But Big Man U is not the way the modern college basketball game is played.

• Haha
Reactions: DAG10 and Russ Ford
So we cut Edey and Tre and load up on who? Play you are coach and make us better next year.
No, that's not what I'm saying. But I wouldn't model our program on dominant big men and serviceable guards, which is what we have been in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT