ADVERTISEMENT

Painter’s protege!

Wolegib

All-American
May 23, 2013
We all know Keady, knight, and Coach k are all known to have had protégés who also became successful coaches at other schools.

I’m just wondering . painter has coached for awhile. Who are some of his protégés and assistants that will be entering the coach ranks or have become head coaches?

Luck? Shrews? Sasha? IT?

Part of Keady’s legacy was the success his assistants and players had as coaches. It seems that Painter has had a few assistants that have become successful head coaches.

I’m just curious

We all know Keady, knight, and Coach k are all known to have had protégés who also became successful coaches at other schools.

I’m just wondering . painter has coached for awhile. Who are some of his protégés and assistants that will be entering the coach ranks or have become head coaches?

Luck? Shrews? Sasha? IT?

Part of Keady’s legacy was the success his assistants and players had as coaches. It seems that Painter has had a few assistants that have become successful head coaches.

I’m just curious
Booby didn’t have that many assistant coaches go on to do much.

Hopefully we still get a couple of years out of him first. The offense is really clicking with him running it
Consider how long it took Weber to get a great gig - consider how shrews has done - now put yourself in PJ's mind.

Luck? Shrews? Sasha? IT?

I’m just curious
I think you meant PJ and not IT…but I’d have to say….
Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan

You’re right. pj. So Stevens, pj and Shrews. . And maybe Lutz.

Keady had Weber, painter Stallings and Q. Any more I forgot? Maybe the coach at StJohns ?

Luck? Shrews? Sasha? IT?

I’m just curious

Not sure either, but CMP will likely have another 10 years or so to cultivate and branch out his coaching tree.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Steve Lavin

Yes - "Lav" was a Purdue assistant under Gene Keady and has been an "unofficial ambassador" for the program under Matt Painter over the years. Lavin has talked about it frequently in the past of how much he appreciated Gene Keady giving him such an early opportunity and what he learned during his time as an assistant with the Purdue basketball program.

D4oRgJiVUAAG92_.jpg:large

lavinkeady.jpg

EIpnzWLW4AAWccs.jpg

Booby didn’t have that many assistant coaches go on to do much.
I went to a basketball camp run by the Coach of Army and the Captain of his team. And I was always appreciative of how his players loved Knight after they left the team. And how he was against one and done. So I looked up his assistants: in the college ranks, they included Mike Krzyzewski, Steve Alford, Murry Bartow, Dan Dakich, Bob Donewald, Marty Simmons, Jim Crews, Chris Beard, and Dusty May. Among NBA coaches, they include Randy Wittman, Mike Woodson, Keith Smart, Isiah Thomas, and Lawrence Frank.

I went to a basketball camp run by the Coach of Army and the Captain of his team. And I was always appreciative of how his players loved Knight after they left the team. And how he was against one and done. So I looked up his assistants: in the college ranks, they included Mike Krzyzewski, Steve Alford, Murry Bartow, Dan Dakich, Bob Donewald, Marty Simmons, Jim Crews, Chris Beard, and Dusty May. Among NBA coaches, they include Randy Wittman, Mike Woodson, Keith Smart, Isiah Thomas, and Lawrence Frank.
Were any of those guys assistant coaches under him at IU ?

Were any of those guys assistant coaches under him at IU ?
Good question. I do not follow any coach that closely. I am always in favor of coaches (no matter their school) who have a great reputation for caring for their players off the floor. And my three favorites are Knight, Wooden, and Paterno. This is what I always liked about Purdue.

I would have loved to hear a conversation with Knight and K about one and done.

My original post was about both players and assistant coaches. It does appear that Keady, Knight and coach K all had players or assistants that were influenced or mentored by one these 3 coaches.

So I was interested in Painter’s players and assistant coaches. It seems like he may also have a few players or assistants on similar paths to becoming head coaches!

It seems like Painter is on the same path as the other three HOF coaches

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT