ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue /MSU double tech?

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
I just watched the game on TV and it never showed any of the double tech (another Fox screw up). Jim made a quick comment, but then they went on with the game. Anyway, it happened quick and I never got to see what all happened, but Walker and Lance got one each. I just caught what I think was Lance knocking the ball out of Walkers hands in a dead ball or maybe Walker knocked it out of Lance's hands. I just caught Lance going to get the ball. Apparently words were exchanged. Anyone at the game that got a good view of what happened?

I was at the game and watched it as they both got t'd up. From my perspective it appeared as if the two had been jawing at one another continuously through the dead ball and the official had been up talking to both of them warning them that they were about to get the technical if they didn't stop. The warning didn't appear to dissuade either player to shut their mouth and after maybe 10-15 seconds of continuing it he gave them the double techs.

Now for my opinion, I fully agreed with the official on this. Both players were engaged in a behavior that could escalate into something more serious, were warned to stop, and chose to continue it. The official gave them at least a couple exchanges each after the warning to have it come to a halt and it looked like both players chose to keep going anyway. Imo both players deserved it.

What that means for MSU I don't really care. To me it is extremely disappointing for Lance to continue the activity and put his team at risk. As it ended up the double didn't change anything but he had no idea...or care...if that was going to result in a double tech or not. Easily could've just been on him if the other guy shut his mouth . Also it happened at a time we were up at a more comfortable margin I think and I remember thinking why do anything that could wake them up. I know others will make excuses for it but imo it was a very selfish interaction from Lance that could not work out so well the next time.

I was at the game and watched it as they both got t'd up. From my perspective it appeared as if the two had been jawing at one another continuously through the dead ball and the official had been up talking to both of them warning them that they were about to get the technical if they didn't stop. The warning didn't appear to dissuade either player to shut their mouth and after maybe 10-15 seconds of continuing it he gave them the double techs.

Now for my opinion, I fully agreed with the official on this. Both players were engaged in a behavior that could escalate into something more serious, were warned to stop, and chose to continue it. The official gave them at least a couple exchanges each after the warning to have it come to a halt and it looked like both players chose to keep going anyway. Imo both players deserved it.

What that means for MSU I don't really care. To me it is extremely disappointing for Lance to continue the activity and put his team at risk. As it ended up the double didn't change anything but he had no idea...or care...if that was going to result in a double tech or not. Easily could've just been on him if the other guy shut his mouth . Also it happened at a time we were up at a more comfortable margin I think and I remember thinking why do anything that could wake them up. I know others will make excuses for it but imo it was a very selfish interaction from Lance that could not work out so well the next time.
While I agree a bit, I do love that edge Lance has and brings to the team. We need that type of attitude at times. Hopefully, like you said, it won’t hurt the team or poke the bear, but sometimes it’s good to have someone like that.

While I agree a bit, I do love that edge Lance has and brings to the team. We need that type of attitude at times. Hopefully, like you said, it won’t hurt the team or poke the bear, but sometimes it’s good to have someone like that.
I am and have been a huge fan of what Lance brings to this team all year. That game was the first time all season I felt like he needed to turn it down a notch. Felt like he was more preoccupied with extracurriculars instead of just keeping focused on winning the game.

I am and have been a huge fan of what Lance brings to this team all year. That game was the first time all season I felt like he needed to turn it down a notch. Felt like he was more preoccupied with extracurriculars instead of just keeping focused on winning the game.
His shooting sure did reflect that haha (those type of shooting games happen tho). He probably was amped to play in that atmosphere. Hope he learns from it and uses it to get better

I knew there was some jawing, but thought maybe someone took the ball away from another because I thought I saw Lance going after the ball. Yes, Lance has lost his head a bit. We've read about him wanting a championship and he now as a ring. We've read he wanted to play in the tourney and he will get to do that. Lance has had some questionable shots taken over the season and we all hoped it wouldn't hurt Purdue and so far it hasn't. He is struggling behind the arc the last few games possibly due to his previous success and now becoming more of a focal point for the D...whereas MSU didn't think Fletch would hit.

Fox never showed any of it and Jim barely mentioned it and so I'm guessing most people watching TV missed that. It appears Fox and CBS don't think most TV viewers really care about more detailed specifics about the game and just ramble on about trivia.

controlled aggression! In the game Fletch made a 3 in front of MSU bench and as he is running down the court he looks up into the stands with a bit of anger??? as to say take that to those that thought he couldn't hit a shot or contribute. After the game when Braden and Mason were on video, Braden makes mention in response to a question about playing 40 minutes that "his legs were fine" which brings about laughter from Mason. Then Braden says...no, I'm tired.

Team members "seem aware" of some talk in the forums...

I knew there was some jawing, but thought maybe someone took the ball away from another because I thought I saw Lance going after the ball. Yes, Lance has lost his head a bit. We've read about him wanting a championship and he now as a ring. We've read he wanted to play in the tourney and he will get to do that. Lance has had some questionable shots taken over the season and we all hoped it wouldn't hurt Purdue and so far it hasn't. He is struggling behind the arc the last few games possibly due to his previous success and now becoming more of a focal point for the D...whereas MSU didn't think Fletch would hit.

Fox never showed any of it and Jim barely mentioned it and so I'm guessing most people watching TV missed that. It appears Fox and CBS don't think most TV viewers really care about more detailed specifics about the game and just ramble on about trivia.
There could have been something before the continued jawing that I didn't see. If there was some exchange with the ball, I don't think it directly led to the double techs. I watched the two go back and forth verbally with the referee right there for awhile right before getting t'd up so I think the verbal exchange is what ended up prompting the technical fouls even if the two had been pushing the ball back and forth initially.

Reactions: tjreese
His shooting sure did reflect that haha (those type of shooting games happen tho). He probably was amped to play in that atmosphere. Hope he learns from it and uses it to get better
Could be. I'm never upset if he misses a good shot and with him I even expect a quick one a couple times a game which we can live with. To me it felt like he was forcing things on offense all game long. Like he was trying to show up the guy guarding him no matter what the consequences. The 3 he took with 3:50 minutes left with a 7 point lead, less the 10 seconds into the shot clock, and no rebounders back was one of the worst shots we've taken all season. Hopefully this was a good lesson on how to channel the emotions in big games because they games are going to get progressively bigger the rest of the way and the emotions will only get more intense.

This team has an edge to them. IN the final minute or two Braden gets a hand on the ball to knock it loose around the Arc between score table and MSU bench and then dives to the floor to get the ball and hit Fletch with it dribbling down the same sideline, but Fletch looses the ball to Hoggard coming up behind him and you can see Braden throwing his arms showing frustration.

Reactions: TC4THREE
controlled aggression! In the game Fletch made a 3 in front of MSU bench and as he is running down the court he looks up into the stands with a bit of anger??? as to say take that to those that thought he couldn't hit a shot or contribute. After the game when Braden and Mason were on video, Braden makes mention in response to a question about playing 40 minutes that "his legs were fine" which brings about laughter from Mason. Then Braden says...no, I'm tired.

Team members "seem aware" of some talk in the forums...
+1 - multiple times this year where Fletch seems fired up a game after a discussion about him and other guys taking his pt. Honestly, how could you not pay attention to what people are saying as an 18-22 y/o?
And there aren't very many Boiler forums unfortunately.

This team has an edge to them. IN the final minute or two Braden gets a hand on the ball to knock it loose around the Arc between score table and MSU bench and then dives to the floor to get the ball and hit Fletch with it dribbling down the same sideline, but Fletch looses the ball to Hoggard coming up behind him and you can see Braden throwing his arms showing frustration.
Ha Braden and about 14 thousand others.

In that spot, possession of the ball was the most important thing. Fletcher wound up with it and saw open court ahead and I can understand that. That said, he didn't feel the guy coming up behind him (which is easy for fans in the stands to see coming) and that's an awareness that Smith has to display constantly with his role. It's the type of play that's easy to second guess but I completely understand the thinking behind how it went down.

Agreed. When they called the technical, I said out loud, "Lance, get your head in the game."

Agreed. When they called the technical, I said out loud, "Lance, get your head in the game."
No offense to Lance, but with the way Loyer was playing, it was probably a net win by giving both Lance and Walker their 3rd fouls at that juncture of the game.

But yeah, he's gotta let that shit go.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
No offense to Lance, but with the way Loyer was playing, it was probably a net win by giving both Lance and Walker their 3rd fouls at that juncture of the game.

But yeah, he's gotta let that shit go.
That’s how I looked at it. Lance is a great player for us, but he certainly isn’t our best player. Walker is their best player. If we can get their best player a cheap foul, I would gladly sacrifice a foul from pretty much anyone on Purdue not named Edey.

Lance was definitely not into the game , he was talking with Hoggard and Walker way too much. Also I see him “hunting “ his own shot more than he should. Let the game come to you as you are a very valuable and great player for us.

Reactions: TC4THREE
+1 - multiple times this year where Fletch seems fired up a game after a discussion about him and other guys taking his pt. Honestly, how could you not pay attention to what people are saying as an 18-22 y/o?
And there aren't very many Boiler forums unfortunately.
I mean if he's fired up after discussion on here, there's been discussion on here about him for over a month. Not sure the causation is there at all.

When you say lately, you mean against MSU? His previous four games were 12, 13, 17 and 15 points and only twice in his last 12 games has he scored less than 12 points.
I guess it's been a quiet run. I don't remember many of the killer quick drives lately. but the memory ain't what it used to be. ;)

Reactions: boilerzz
Lance’s attitude was just fine for me. I’ll applaud his fire any time.

Their bear was poked from the opening tip. If Sparty had played that hard all year, they would’ve lived up to their No. 4 preseason ranking. Right behind us.

• Love
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Lance’s attitude was just fine for me. I’ll applaud his fire any time.

Their bear was poked from the opening tip. If Sparty had played that hard all year, they would’ve lived up to their No. 4 preseason ranking. Right behind us.
How did they lose all those games I asked at one point.
They had played pretty darn well for being doing 10 points.

How did they lose all those games I asked at one point.
They had played pretty darn well for being doing 10 points.

Hoggard has been up and down, and Walker has had a bit of a groin injury. They got behind from the jump in conference season and really couldn't dig out.

Bottom line, they just haven't been consistent enough all year - but, they're capable of playing with anybody and were starting to put it together a little until those two losses at home recently. To Izzo's credit, he's taken a lot of the blame for it from comments I've heard. A line-up of Booker, Hall, Akins, Hoggard, and Walker when clicking could cause a lot of problems for many good teams.

They had some bench production Saturday too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT