ADVERTISEMENT

Ivey off the bench

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Jaden Ivey played less than 20 minutes with 4 points in the Pistons opener last night. Rookie Ausar Thompson started with Cunningham and Killian Hayes. Obviously not a good thing. They just have way too many guards.

Monty wants Jaden to play defense consistently which we know isn’t he favorite thing. If he does that and shows he can do that, he will earn back his playing time.

Ausar plays more of the forward role where the bulk of scoring is coming through Cunningham. Good thing is Jaden is a student of the game and coachable so hopefully he will see his minutes increase as he adopts to the feedback he is getting.

I saw a couple of preseason games and was really impressed with Ausar Thompson. Offense, defense, demeanor, attitude -- he looks to be a good all-around player.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
He's also in the bottom half of guards for efficiency - not a great argument for more PT in the modern style of play
Yep. His challenge that he had here that has carried over is to go too fast and make bad decisions. You can’t have the same number of assists as turnovers and expect to be a starting guard.

I think Williams is a good coach and knows what he is doing. Not sure he would have drafted Jaden if he was the coach last year.

Monty wants Jaden to play defense consistently which we know isn’t he favorite thing. If he does that and shows he can do that, he will earn back his playing time.

Ausar plays more of the forward role where the bulk of scoring is coming through Cunningham. Good thing is Jaden is a student of the game and coachable so hopefully he will see his minutes increase as he adopts to the feedback he is getting.
Great points although I'm not sure that I fully agree with your statement that Jaden is coachable and a student of the game. Not saying that he's a bad teammate or is un-coachable but IMO his strength has always been his individual offensive skills, not his defense or his ability to play within a team framework. Fire away ;)

Great points although I'm not sure that I fully agree with your statement that Jaden is coachable and a student of the game. Not saying that he's a bad teammate or is un-coachable but IMO his strength has always been his individual offensive skills, not his defense or his ability to play within a team framework. Fire away ;)
Well he obviously listened to Painter to earn his place in the starting rotation. I agree he relies too much on his explosiveness on offense and could be a solid defender.

He is either gonna learn quick or be on the trade block.

He's also in the bottom half of guards for efficiency - not a great argument for more PT in the modern style of play
Yeh, he played a lot of pg last season after their big dog got hurt. And he wasnt' very good other than scoring, and he hoisted a lot of shots to do that.
Being a distributor and defensively were pretty lg negatives.

Reactions: Wolegib

JI has the physical ability to be an elite defender. I agree that he is being sent a message.

Someone pointed out how James Harden played under Williams as well and wasn’t a starter. The rebuttal was he became an all star after he got away from him. Who knows.

Pistons drafted over him with Ausar one year into Jaden's test run, without Cunningham, and they stayed a forever-young-and-promising last-place team.

Sixth-men (e.g. Harden once, Havlicek long ago) can turn a franchise around. Love to see that play out.

Pistons drafted over him with Ausar one year into Jaden's test run, without Cunningham, and they stayed a forever-young-and-promising last-place team.

Sixth-men (e.g. Harden once, Havlicek long ago) can turn a franchise around. Love to see that play out.
But Ausur is a forward correct? Not sure if he is replacing Jaden. I do think that they are trying to figure out a lineup that can win and turn their team around.

My opinion is they want Cade front and center and not sure that works with Jaden at the other guard spot. Wondering if they try and trade him sometime into the season for vets.

He had the opportunity to play a lot of minutes last year due to their star guard’s injury! Some had hoped they would become a young backcourt tandem! He has a role and also expectations! He knows what they need and want. Some of the greatest players in the NBA were traded. It’s all about finding your fit!

This also reminds me a lot about Edey playing for the Canadian World Cup team. The coach knew he had talent, but his style of basketball and his talents Did not match what the coach wanted to do! Unlike Purdue where Painter builds his team around a certain player, in the NBA, the player has to build his game too. Match the coach’s system!

Many players adapt while many others get lost in the shuffle. What was that IU guard’s name that was drafted by the Celtics? Isn’t he now on his third team. And fighting hard just to make a roster ?

But Ausur is a forward correct? Not sure if he is replacing Jaden. I do think that they are trying to figure out a lineup that can win and turn their team around.

My opinion is they want Cade front and center and not sure that works with Jaden at the other guard spot. Wondering if they try and trade him sometime into the season for vets.
He's listed as a guard, but they are starting 3 guards so he can be considered to be playing the 3-spot, which is what Ivey would be doing anyway with Hayes and Cunningham in the backcourt.

Not sure Monty is a good fit for Ivey. Maybe a trade would be best. I would love to see Ivey excel in the league but not sure it will happen with the Pistons.

Jaden Ivey played less than 20 minutes with 4 points in the Pistons opener last night. Rookie Ausar Thompson started with Cunningham and Killian Hayes. Obviously not a good thing. They just have way too many guards.
Killian Hayes SUUUUUCKS…
Someone pointed out how James Harden played under Williams as well and wasn’t a starter. The rebuttal was he became an all star after he got away from him. Who knows.

Harden has won…. Nothing…

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Not sure Monty is a good fit for Ivey. Maybe a trade would be best. I would love to see Ivey excel in the league but not sure it will happen with the Pistons.
Agree that it’s not a good fit if Jaden wants to continue to do what he wants. If it drives JI to play consistent defense and team ball it could be the best thing for him. He’s not a kid anymore, time to show some maturity.

Reactions: Purdue0023
Sometimes going back home and playing in front of family and friends is not in the best interests of a successful and long career

He will be okay has 14pts the second unit is bringing it to the Hornets at the end of 3

Have no idea what Monty is doing or what Jaden did to piss him off things aren’t looking good in Detroit.

Makes me think Ivey and his agents should be asking for a trade.

Reactions: pboiler18
Williams better figure it out fast because 2 and 17 does not bode well for job security. I still hope Ivey will develop into an elite player in the league.
I think Ivey will be fine but Detroit and Monty’s push to make Cunningham the face of the organization is befuddling. Dude is a turnover machine and can’t seemingly put anything together.

I would be curious to see how Sasser and Ivey work in the backcourt together.

I think Ivey will be fine but Detroit and Monty’s push to make Cunningham the face of the organization is befuddling. Dude is a turnover machine and can’t seemingly put anything together.

I would be curious to see how Sasser and Ivey work in the backcourt together.
I know I've posted this before but Jaden has a lot of work to do to be as good as he can be. I don't think that Monty is asking him to do anything that isn't ultimately in Jaden's own best interest.

Jaden is a NBA player, in my opinion Jaden will never be a NBA star, hopefully, he gets 10 years in the league, at any rate he should be set for life financially. For a one time 3 star recruit he’s doing fine!

I know I've posted this before but Jaden has a lot of work to do to be as good as he can be. I don't think that Monty is asking him to do anything that isn't ultimately in Jaden's own best interest.
I agree he has areas to improve but when your team is terrible and people getting minutes ahead of him are worse, something is off. I just don’t think Monty cares of Jaden. That is the general vibe I get from people who follow the Pistons

I just don’t think Monty cares of Jaden. That is the general vibe I get from people who follow the Pistons
You may be right, I'm not close to it, but you don't get to be an NBA head coach be being dumb. That lead's me to believe that he either 1) legitimately doesn't think Jaden gives him a chance to win or 2) he's trying to get through to Jaden.

Someone needs to get through to him, IMO. Less about JI, more about winning.

• Love
Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Williams better figure it out fast because 2 and 17 does not bode well for job security. I still hope Ivey will develop into an elite player in the league.

Can't be a starter on one team isn't a great way to develop into an elite player.
He's been benched BECAUSE HE DOESN"T DO WHAT THE COACH WANTS.
That ain't elite.

Reactions: boilermaker75
You may be right, I'm not close to it, but you don't get to be an NBA head coach be being dumb. That lead's me to believe that he either 1) legitimately doesn't think Jaden gives him a chance to win or 2) he's trying to get through to Jaden.

Someone needs to get through to him, IMO. Less about JI, more about winning.
The same coach that didn’t like etwaun Moore remember

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT