ADVERTISEMENT

Ivey off the bench

The same coach that didn’t like etwaun Moore remember
Moore was not a top 10 pick and never became an all star or elite player. He had a nice nba career much like sheffler, Cardinal and miller. I believe the hype and expectations for Ivey were a lot higher!

Moore was not a top 10 pick and never became an all star or elite player. He had a nice nba career much like sheffler, Cardinal and miller. I believe the hype and expectations for Ivey were a lot higher!
Laughed to myself where you mentioned Schef as having a nice NBA career. To my surprise he did stick around for 7 years mostly with those great Supersonic teams.

The same coach that didn’t like etwaun Moore remember
I think you're confusing "didn't like" with doing his job and judging a players performance on the court. WE (Boilers) all loved E and he had a nice long nba career. But he was never really starter material now was he?
But damn that coach for thinking it right?

You may be right, I'm not close to it, but you don't get to be an NBA head coach be being dumb. That lead's me to believe that he either 1) legitimately doesn't think Jaden gives him a chance to win or 2) he's trying to get through to Jaden.

Someone needs to get through to him, IMO. Less about JI, more about winning.
Damn that coach. What is with his priorities??
It's like he cares more about winning than making JI look good!
WTF?????

Reactions: northside100
I think you're confusing "didn't like" with doing his job and judging a players performance on the court. WE (Boilers) all loved E and he had a nice long nba career. But he was never really starter material now was he?
But damn that coach for thinking it right?
Actually in the 2017-2018 season with the Pelicans, he started 80 out of 82 games and averaged over 30 minutes per game.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I believe you all are missing the point! Guys like sheffler and Moore and Cardinal and miller were drafted with low expectations. They each enjoyed a long nba career because they each put in a lot of work.

On the otheR hand, Ivey was a top 5 pick. Most top 5 picks are kind of expected to be starters as rookies and some day become all stars. They are not expected to regress their second season. They are expected to work on their craft and improve on their deficiencies rather than rest on their laurels.

Those who rest on the laurels and don’t dedicate their time improving their skills soon find themselves on the outside looking in and forgotten. There once was an IU guard who was a lottery pick by Boston. Like so many other NBA busts, I’ve already forgotten his name. He

Was a one and done in college and basically a one and done in the NBA. Ivey is currently on that same path.

I believe you all are missing the point! Guys like sheffler and Moore and Cardinal and miller were drafted with low expectations. They each enjoyed a long nba career because they each put in a lot of work.

On the otheR hand, Ivey was a top 5 pick. Most top 5 picks are kind of expected to be starters as rookies and some day become all stars. They are not expected to regress their second season. They are expected to work on their craft and improve on their deficiencies rather than rest on their laurels.

Those who rest on the laurels and don’t dedicate their time improving their skills soon find themselves on the outside looking in and forgotten. There once was an IU guard who was a lottery pick by Boston. Like so many other NBA busts, I’ve already forgotten his name. He

Was a one and done in college and basically a one and done in the NBA. Ivey is currently on that same path.
Are you talking about Romeo Langford, who was drafted 14th? JI has had far more success already than Langford ever had and has too much raw talent to be out of the league anytime soon, but agree that he needs to get things in order soon. As other have stated if things don't improve with Detroit this season he'll likely get traded and that will be his opportunity to reinvent himself or risk being deemed a flop.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Pelicans.. Right.
They finished 6th in the west and won the opening playoff 4-0 over Portland. They then lost the next round to the Warriors (no surprise there). Moore was a big contributor to that team and was a starter for 98% of their games. He started 191 games in his NBA career. To say "But he was never really starter material now was he?" Is simply not true.

Pistons have a lot of good young talent, but that team is a mess right now.

As far as Ivey, he is an ultra talented athletic player, but he has to put in work on his jump shot. He cannot score every point by a layup or within 6 feet of the basket. The NBA is full of quick and fast players and eventually his speed will start to slow over time. If he can develop a consistent long range shot, he can have a nice NBA career. If not, his career will be shortened.

Even MJ had to change his game from a slasher to a jump shooter.

Let me restate. Moore had a nice NBA career as did Miller, Cardinal and Sheffler. None of the 4 were a high lottery pick. Miller went undrafted! They worked hard and earned playing time. Moore actually became a starter. Was he ever the best player on his team. The honest answer is NO.

IU’s Romeo was a lottery pick. He was a one and done at IU. Did he ever do anything at IU? No. As a lottery pick, he received a guaranteed contract. Was it 2 years? 3 years? It doesn’t matter. He had an opportunity with Boston and did nothing with that opportunity.

Ivey was a top 5 pick. On draft day there was speculation he might have been drafted 1-2 places higher depending on how the lottery went. Ivey had a pretty good year as a rookie filling in for an injured starter. That injured starter has returned and Ivey is now coming off the bench. As a top 5 draft pick, a lot more is expected from Ivey than players like Moore, cardinal, miller etc.

My comment was that if Ivey doesn’t develop the work ethics that Moore had, he will soon find himself Much like Romeo and be on the outside looking in. Romeo is still young. What’s he doing these days? I missed seeing him in last year’s all star game.

Ivey is fortunate he has a guaranteed contract. Carsen Edwards was not as fortunate. Ivey has time to carve himself a niche in the nba. But he has to apply his talent. He can follow Moore’s path. Or he can follow Romeo’s.

Sometimes a trade is a good thing for a player. LeBron was a much better player after leaving Cleveland. Dennis Rodman enjoyed a lot more publicity after leaving Detroit! Maybe Ivey needs a change. Then again being a 6th man in the nba is still a good gig.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Jaden Ivey played less than 20 minutes with 4 points in the Pistons opener last night. Rookie Ausar Thompson started with Cunningham and Killian Hayes. Obviously not a good thing. They just have way too many guards.
Jaden Ivey is one of the most overrated player's to play at Purdue. Soo no I am not shocked Ivey is coming off the bench for Detroit. Nothing personal against Ivey. AJ Hammons was not the most motivated player at Purdue. I met AJ in a bar here in Indianapolis back in October. Talked BBall with him for about 15 minutes. Hammons was very cool.

A great anecdote about Ivey is he is like a "Ferrari but doesn't know how to drive it." Ivey played great early is his last season but it became obvious Ivey was more interested in upping his NBA Draft value than Purdue succeeding as a team. A great physical talent BUT why would he stand out there shooting 28 foot 3 pter's? I never got that!!! Yes he hit some but still... Also his big Def steals and dunks were exciting BUT alot of fans pointed out Ivey free lanced on Defense and it lead to team break downs in games.

I know after the Saint Peters loss in NCAA tourney their was criticism that bubbled up about Ivey after the loss. As we all know Ivey was awful in that game. Trevion Williams was the most blunt indicating Ivey didn't prepare for that game like he should have... Ivey just decided Saint Peters couldn't handle him and walked out there in an Elite Eight game and played like it... I mean no disrespect to Ivey but I am glad Detroit took him and the Pacers drafted Mathurin.

Reactions: Lionheart1
Jaden Ivey is one of the most overrated player's to play at Purdue. Soo no I am not shocked Ivey is coming off the bench for Detroit. Nothing personal against Ivey. AJ Hammons was not the most motivated player at Purdue. I met AJ in a bar here in Indianapolis back in October. Talked BBall with him for about 15 minutes. Hammons was very cool.

A great anecdote about Ivey is he is like a "Ferrari but doesn't know how to drive it." Ivey played great early is his last season but it became obvious Ivey was more interested in upping his NBA Draft value than Purdue succeeding as a team. A great physical talent BUT why would he stand out there shooting 28 foot 3 pter's? I never got that!!! Yes he hit some but still... Also his big Def steals and dunks were exciting BUT alot of fans pointed out Ivey free lanced on Defense and it lead to team break downs in games.

I know after the Saint Peters loss in NCAA tourney their was criticism that bubbled up about Ivey after the loss. As we all know Ivey was awful in that game. Trevion Williams was the most blunt indicating Ivey didn't prepare for that game like he should have... Ivey just decided Saint Peters couldn't handle him and walked out there in an Elite Eight game and played like it... I mean no disrespect to Ivey but I am glad Detroit took him and the Pacers drafted Mathurin.
A first team AA is overrated? Also that saint peters game was in the s16, not elite 8.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler

Most overrated? Interesting take.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
They finished 6th in the west and won the opening playoff 4-0 over Portland. They then lost the next round to the Warriors (no surprise there). Moore was a big contributor to that team and was a starter for 98% of their games. He started 191 games in his NBA career. To say "But he was never really starter material now was he?" Is simply not true.
So 1 year out of 11. Sounds like a career backup to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that. 42M in career earnings. I loved him too.

Last edited:

Beat it loser.

Reactions: pboiler18
A first team AA is overrated? Also that saint peters game was in the s16, not elite 8.
They were playing to get in the Elite 8. My point is it was a BIG Tourney game. I didn't say Ivey wasn't any good. My point is Ivey was playing for the NBA Scouts his last season. Look who was on that roster. That team was more talented than this year's team. Talent doesn't always make a great BBall Team. Same way An All Star team full off talent isn't always a great team.

They were playing to get in the Elite 8. My point is it was a BIG Tourney game. I didn't say Ivey wasn't any good. My point is Ivey was playing for the NBA Scouts his last season. Look who was on that roster. That team was more talented than this year's team. Talent doesn't always make a great BBall Team. Same way An All Star team full off talent isn't always a great team.
But how was he overrated? He was the 100th overall recruit and played himself to the 5th overall pick???

But how was he overrated? He was the 100th overall recruit and played himself to the 5th overall pick???
I believe he was trying to say he was overrated in his position in the NBA draft.

I still remember Dwayne Wade’s NCAA tournament run. Before the tournament he was considered as a nice player. But in the tournament, he stepped up his play about 5 notches. The difference between Wade and Ivey, was Wade didn’t step up his game to impress anybody. He stepped up his game to help Marquette win games. And it was the result of Marquette winning games that impressed the scouts and made them notice and improved his draft stock.

For those who say Ivey is overrated, How are the players drafted ahead of him doing? How is that guy from Iowa doing in the NBA? Before the draft, it was said Houston would be the best fit for Ivey.

The NBA is more about the right fit than talent. Maybe Detroit is just not the right fit for Ivey. I look at Wiggins. He seems to be doing great after being traded! Jabari Parker had a lot of talent, but that talent never found the right fit!

As for not starting, I look at Junior Bridgman. He was an exceptional 6th man in the NBA.

I also look at this year as a pivotal year for Ivey. He can excel in his role coming off the bench and leading the second team. Or he can do nothing and follow Romeo’s lead and do nothing other than collecting a paycheck.

It’s up to Ivey what he wants his NBA career to be.

Ivey really wanted to play for the pistons. The problem was their two other best players were also guards. And unlike Purdue, 3 guard offenses are not usually successful in the NBA.

While Ivey wanted to play for Detroit, it might not have been the best situation for him to succeed.

Last edited:
I am shocked that they have not fired the GM and coach yet, like the Chargers did in football.

The Pistons are the Bad Boys alright, just in the wrong way from the teams in the late 80s and early 90s.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I am shocked that they have not fired the GM and coach yet, like the Chargers did in football.

The Pistons are the Bad Boys alright, just in the wrong way from the teams in the late 80s and early 90s.
If I remember right, it’s a new coach this year and they made substantial financial commitment to him to come.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see some trades coming. Ivey is probably on the trading block.

We’re supposed to have knowledge of bball to be able to post? Is that a requirement? I thought this was supposed to be a fans forum not a former coaches and players forum where people come to brag about how much they know about the game

Reactions: pboiler18
Great points although I'm not sure that I fully agree with your statement that Jaden is coachable and a student of the game. Not saying that he's a bad teammate or is un-coachable but IMO his strength has always been his individual offensive skills, not his defense or his ability to play within a team framework. Fire away ;)
I would list athleticism #1, skills #3 defense #4.5 and team framework #6.0 or the largest gap between athletic ability and skills and equal spaced after skills

Yeah this is just bad. Poor management and poor coaching. Terrible roster construction on top of it as well.

I know they are fully invested in Cade but they need stronger vets who challenge and push Cade.
He's so talented but doesn't seem to make the rest of the team better. They have pieces all over the place, but just don't get it together very well.

Reactions: Wolegib
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT