ADVERTISEMENT

IU

Anybody who thinks Romeo won’t be in the discussion for all-B1G 1st team and possibly POY isn’t being honest with themselves. The kid is as close to being pro-ready to come of an Indiana HS that I have seen since Eric Gordon.
Happ, Morgan, Carsen lot of other players for the two spots remaining..does Michigan have any? Does MSU have any? Will Coffee make a move or will it be Murphy? What about the Huskers? Lot of players out there. I just hope Purdue can win a few...

Happ, Morgan, Carsen lot of other players for the two spots remaining..does Michigan have any? Does MSU have any? Will Coffee make a move or will it be Murphy? What about the Huskers? Lot of players out there. I just hope Purdue can win a few...

It's a long, grind it out year in basketball...……..right TJ?

Reactions: tjreese
Anybody who thinks Romeo won’t be in the discussion for all-B1G 1st team and possibly POY isn’t being honest with themselves. The kid is as close to being pro-ready to come of an Indiana HS that I have seen since Eric Gordon.
Save this one. It is priceless! Thanks Eunuch86. That was fun.

IU is likely to be ranked in the top 25 after this week as long as they take care of Arkansas Sunday. We will need to take care of Davidson and then #16 Virginia Tech Sunday. Im hoping our young group is up to the task but it will not come easy. I just hope this board doesn’t flip their lid if IU does happen to take the ranks and we hit a skid as this place will be unbearable with IU trolls and Painter haters. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. Unfortunately either way, most are afraid to admit this, but I think IU might have a lasting presence in the rankings that will annoy everyone here to no end. Not to say we will bow down to them as I think we have one of the best players in the country and a lot of unique players that creates some challenges and a great coach that knows how to use them that allows us to compete with just about anyone. Who is the better team will play out as the season progresses but it is foolish to think that IU at this point isn’t going to be a good team that could be as good as any in the Big10.

Matthews might be the most ready B1G player for the next level.
Wait a minute...so Michigan may have one? If so, that would only leave one more spot in the Big first team. So IU may not have two better than the best on better teams? Lot of ball left to see how all this plays out. It would be hard to beleive that Archie could lose many games with two players better than the best on other teams...unless the other three on the court are YMCA pickups. ;)

Reactions: Poprudy and mathboy
How in the world do discussions about IU players end up on Purdue boards? I'm not even a Purdue fan and this irritates me. IU has a Rivals board too, ya know -- in addition to several others. And, in my experience, those boards welcome Purdue fans who wish to discuss IU basketball like mature adults.

That said, after having watched Langford for a few games now, I think it's clear that he has some work to do on his perimeter shooting, his FT shooting, and his ability to look for (and find) open people in better position when his dribble penetration is defended well enough to require him to settle for a bad shot. I'm not saying he should look to pass just as much as shoot -- he clearly is an elite finisher around the rim. But I'd say that about 20% of the shots he's taken have been ill-advised. And he'll be that much more effective when he uses his ability to finish and draw help rotation to know when the shot's not going to be there and find cutters or open shooters.

That said, it's not been hard to see why he was as highly touted as he was.
The OP for this particular thread is an IU fan wanting to talk about IU (the thread title) basketball. Maybe there wasn't enough intelligent basketball discussion/debate on the board he usually frequents.

Wait a minute...so Michigan may have one? If so, that would only leave one more spot in the Big first team. So IU may not have two better than the best on better teams? Lot of ball left to see how all this plays out. It would be hard to beleive that Archie could lose many games with two players better than the best on other teams...unless the other three on the court are YMCA pickups. ;)
Out of curiosity, who would it be right now for you? I think right now I would have:

Carsen
Happ
Romeo
Mathews
Lamar Stevens?

IU is likely to be ranked in the top 25 after this week as long as they take care of Arkansas Sunday. We will need to take care of Davidson and then #16 Virginia Tech Sunday. Im hoping our young group is up to the task but it will not come easy. I just hope this board doesn’t flip their lid if IU does happen to take the ranks and we hit a skid as this place will be unbearable with IU trolls and Painter haters. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. Unfortunately either way, most are afraid to admit this, but I think IU might have a lasting presence in the rankings that will annoy everyone here to no end. Not to say we will bow down to them as I think we have one of the best players in the country and a lot of unique players that creates some challenges and a great coach that knows how to use them that allows us to compete with just about anyone. Who is the better team will play out as the season progresses but it is foolish to think that IU at this point isn’t going to be a good team that could be as good as any in the Big10.
Wow. My thoughts exactly. I watched IU against Marquette and was impressed with their defense. They had had a bad run for a long time under multiple coaches. It is about time they have stepped it up again. Been impressed with Purdue so far. Very hard to lose 4 senior 4 year players.

You, literally, make no sense.

I’m glad you’re very aware who Romeo is tho. I wonder if he knows who Nojel is?

If you are going to come on a Purdue message board and start it with one of our players moms, you better be ready for what you will have coming back at you. I can't help but think right now, that you are intimidated by our taller, athletic, only a sophomore and heck of a baller point guard in Eastern. Is he perfect? Nobody is, but the guy can flat out play!

Wow. My thoughts exactly. I watched IU against Marquette and was impressed with their defense. They had had a bad run for a long time under multiple coaches. It is about time they have stepped it up again. Been impressed with Purdue so far. Very hard to lose 4 senior 4 year players.

I am married to an Iu man , so I know much on that side of things. 3 of the Iu freshman were in the running for Mr. basketball here in Indiana, Langford, Anderson and Phinnisee, along with our own Eric Hunter. One of the other 5 , who is injured, Jerome Hunter was another one in the running for Mr. basketball for an out of state school. THis freshman class is very good. I always say though, you don't know much about Iu until they play on the road. Do I think they are a top 25 team? I will go as far to say that I think they are and will be contending for a big 10 championship, along side of us and probably Michigan are just my guesses.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
His form? I think it's actually pretty good. I think @tjreese has critiqued shooting forms here in the past, so I'm curious what his input would be.
Just remember, you were the one here telling us that we can infer reliable conclusions based on 5 data points (I actually think that is too few) and two of the 5 were not real games but scrimmages. Using your logic then 5 games should be even more significant for generating reliable data.

I am simply asking you to accept your own standards. Plus recognize that as the cupcakes go away the percentages are likely to decline.

His form? I think it's actually pretty good. I think @tjreese has critiqued shooting forms here in the past, so I'm curious what his input would be.
I guess his form looked ok. I have not seen it up close. Judging by the results of the threes I have seen him take something is wrong. It could be jitters or something. His first two shots form three the other night were bricks, not even close. Time will tell.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
I am married to an Iu man , so I know much on that side of things. 3 of the Iu freshman were in the running for Mr. basketball here in Indiana, Langford, Anderson and Phinnisee, along with our own Eric Hunter. One of the other 5 , who is injured, Jerome Hunter was another one in the running for Mr. basketball for an out of state school. THis freshman class is very good. I always say though, you don't know much about Iu until they play on the road. Do I think they are a top 25 team? I will go as far to say that I think they are and will be contending for a big 10 championship, along side of us and probably Michigan are just my guesses.
Good post. I saw the best defense from IU that I have seen in years. But as you said, we'll see how they do on the road.

Just remember, you were the one here telling us that we can infer reliable conclusions based on 5 data points (I actually think that is too few) and two of the 5 were not real games but scrimmages. Using your logic then 5 games should be even more significant for generating reliable data.

I am simply asking you to accept your own standards. Plus recognize that as the cupcakes go away the percentages are likely to decline.
The entire conversation was around posters here talking crap after game 1. Purdue shot something like 45% from 3 and IU was like 33%. I said let the games play out and then pointed out that if you add in the exhibition games the percentages look way different.

I'm not about to clog the board up with this debate again. We can re evaluate after 10ish games when both teams have played good competition. As it stands today after 3 games:

Purdue: 37%
IU: 36%

See ya in 7 games.

I guess his form looked ok. I have not seen it up close. Judging by the results of the threes I have seen him take something is wrong. It could be jitters or something. His first two shots form three the other night were bricks, not even close. Time will tell.
Yea, let's wait a couple games and see. I fully expect a guy like Eric Hunter to be better than 20% from 3, just needs time to get going.

The entire conversation was around posters here talking crap after game 1. Purdue shot something like 45% from 3 and IU was like 33%. I said let the games play out and then pointed out that if you add in the exhibition games the percentages look way different.

I'm not about to clog the board up with this debate again. We can re evaluate after 10ish games when both teams have played good competition. As it stands today after 3 games:

Purdue: 37%
IU: 36%

See ya in 7 games.
No you interjected your iu opinion on a Purdue forum and couldn't take the responses.

And FYI 37% > 36%.

But you're right, the debate is over and you came up short.

No you interjected your iu opinion on a Purdue forum and couldn't take the responses.

And FYI 37% > 36%.

But you're right, the debate is over and you came up short.
Lol yes I interjected my opinion and everyone lost their mind at the thought that IU could potentially be a better 3pt shooting team. Looks pretty close at this point...

Out of curiosity, who would it be right now for you? I think right now I would have:

Carsen
Happ
Romeo
Mathews
Lamar Stevens?
stevens is possible, but I think Morgan before Romeo. Got a lot of games to be played...nebraska may have a player...coffey and murphy are good as well. I think Carsen, Happ and Matthews are probably 3...the last two???? I know there is a love affair with Romeo in this state and no doubt he is a very good player, but I'm more concerned about Morgan...and that Ignas Brazdeikis is impressive...just not sure any team will put more than ONE on the first team BIG.

I really haven't watched him enough to have an informed opinion. It is really hard to form an opinion in a few games. I think you need a frontal view and a side view...and more often than not you only get teh side view or behind view. Without both the front and side in a short duration it is hard to see what they are doing and that is just with the upper body...not counting the footwork.

stevens is possible, but I think Morgan before Romeo. Got a lot of games to be played...nebraska may have a player...coffey and murphy are good as well. I think Carsen, Happ and Matthews are probably 3...the last two???? I know there is a love affair with Romeo in this state and no doubt he is a very good player, but I'm more concerned about Morgan...and that Ignas Brazdeikis is impressive...just not sure any team will put more than ONE on the first team BIG.
My team was based on current results. Not a prediction of what I think it will be at the end of the season. I do think the team will consist of Carsen, Happ, Mathews, and EITHER Romeo or Morgan in the end.

IU played good defense...helped by marquette dribbling into trouble. IU will play better defense under ARchie than Crean, but I always assume turnovers are bad O rather than good D...just the way I'm wired...

My team was based on current results. Not a prediction of what I think it will be at the end of the season. I do think the team will consist of Carsen, Happ, Mathews, and EITHER Romeo or Morgan in the end.
could be...I'm just personally more concerned with Morgan than Romeo when Purdue plays

We will find out in a few short months, and I can't wait!
Actually, I posted "somewhere" where it mentioned Nojel guarding the best guard that in teh IU game...need to watch more...I may consider Nojel on Morgan..just have to see more. Nojel can guard a lot of spots and he needs to guard the player that can hurt purdue off the dribble and still board. Contemporary thought would be for Nojel to guard Romeo, but if Romeo to be a real threat must drive...that offers a different view. I really have to watch IU to see who you have to guard and where...I just know last year Morgan made a living going to his right on his drives and seemed to pass well. He is a horse and been through the wars. Romeo has been a very good high school player and may be better thabn Morgan,but for now...I'm more concerned about Morgan's drive and strength inside with an ability to go out in space and be a threat to shoot the ball a bit as well.

I have no idea if once romeo starts his move...if he adjusts or continues depending on what the D does. If he is used to starting and just finishing...someone that can contain the dribble a bit and bring him slowly into crowds might be effective. AGain, we shall see as the season goes forward, but I'm mroe concerned about IU's front line than guards at this time. that may all change if Purdue shows a consistent, effective front line as well... ;)

Actually, I posted "somewhere" where it mentioned Nojel guarding the best guard that in teh IU game...need to watch more...I may consider Nojel on Morgan..just have to see more. Nojel can guard a lot of spots and he needs to guard the player that can hurt purdue off the dribble and still board. Contemporary thought would be for Nojel to guard Romeo, but if Romeo to be a real threat must drive...that offers a different view. I really have to watch IU to see who you have to guard and where...I just know last year Morgan made a living going to his right on his drives and seemed to pass well. He is a horse and been through the wars. Romeo has been a very good high school player and may be better thabn Morgan,but for now...I'm more concerned about Morgan's drive and strength inside with an ability to go out in space and be a threat to shoot the ball a bit as well.

I have no idea if once romeo starts his move...if he adjusts or continues depending on what the D does. If he is used to starting and just finishing...someone that can contain the dribble a bit and bring him slowly into crowds might be effective. AGain, we shall see as the season goes forward, but I'm mroe concerned about IU's front line than guards at this time. that may all change if Purdue shows a consistent, effective front line as well... ;)
I see what you are saying, but I think that would cause other unfavorable matchups for Purdue. The obvious being that Haarms now has to guard Justin Smith. The other would be that Carsen would have to guard Romeo. Carsen is a good defender, but Romeo has 6 inches on him. Also, Romeo appears to be rather good at drawing fouls. Carsen is not a guy you would want in foul trouble.

Romeo hasnt gotten his 3pt shot down at this point, but it's not like all he can do is drive. He's hit quite a few mid range jumpers, and he also gets quite a few points cutting to the rim.

I see what you are saying, but I think that would cause other unfavorable matchups for Purdue. The obvious being that Haarms now has to guard Justin Smith. The other would be that Carsen would have to guard Romeo. Carsen is a good defender, but Romeo has 6 inches on him. Also, Romeo appears to be rather good at drawing fouls. Carsen is not a guy you would want in foul trouble.

Romeo hasnt gotten his 3pt shot down at this point, but it's not like all he can do is drive. He's hit quite a few mid range jumpers, and he also gets quite a few points cutting to the rim.
Carsen is listed at 6-1. You may be his height with PJ, who is 5-10.

I do not know what kind of threat the perimeter of Smith and romeo have. Carsen has never been in foul trouble if he were to guard Romeo. Again I do not know how hard you have to close out on Romeo or how much respect you must give to his shot, but if his game is driving the ball,,,and the other actually make you guard them and cannot help off...then yes..Nojel would need to take him. I just don't know enough about IU and Purdue's players, but I know Morgan is proven....Romeo is not...not that he isn't good, but how good in the Big? Freshmen sometimes are freshmen...We both will know more as more games are played.

could be...I'm just personally more concerned with Morgan than Romeo when Purdue plays

You sound like me. Morgan is a beast at rebounding and he does a lot of small things too. Morgan is definately the one I worry about more, but I trust Painter to have a game plan.

Carsen is listed at 6-1. You may be his height with PJ, who is 5-10.
I was going carsen 6' and romeo 6'6". So Romeo has 5" on him if Carsen is 6'1". I dont know what Carsen's wingspan is, but Romeo's is 6'11", so he would have a ton of reach on Carsen as well.

Reactions: echs86
I do not know what kind of threat the perimeter of Smith and romeo have. Carsen has never been in foul trouble if he were to guard Romeo. Again I do not know how hard you have to close out on Romeo or how much respect you must give to his shot, but if his game is driving the ball,,,and the other actually make you guard them and cannot help off...then yes..Nojel would need to take him. I just don't know enough about IU and Purdue's players, but I know Morgan is proven....Romeo is not...not that he isn't good, but how good in the Big? Freshmen sometimes are freshmen...We both will know more as more games are played.
Morgan and Smith have similar games. Morgan does his secondary scoring from 3 pt range while Smith does his in the mid range. Both like to face up and drive.

I would say there is no coach out there that would say "let romeo shoot". He hit over 200 3s during his high school career, so he is certainly capable. I agree that freshmen are sometimes freshmen, but I think we can agree that top 5 freshmen are not a common occurrence in the Big Ten.

With that being said, I would be highly shocked if Painter put Nojel on Morgan. If it were to happen, I would be pretty confident in those matchups. Like you said, time will tell.

It started on the national board. I didnt bring it over here. Someone else directly called me out for it.

Have a good day, McNutt.
IU has made 22 three pointers this year.
Carsen and Cline have made 21.

Find another thing to be better at. This one is a lost cause.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT