ADVERTISEMENT

Is a head football coach also a GM nowadays?

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
Serious question as this seldom works well in the NFL.

Does Walters have someone designated to monitor payroll and manage the roster much like a GM does in the NFL? If not, should it be a priority to get someone on staff to fill that role?

At a different BIG 10 university that responsibility is filled by someone who is part of the AD’s staff rather than working directly for the football coach. You’d be shocked to find out how many other athletes besides football and basketball players are receiving large sums of money to participate. If a school has an ncaa champion or Olympic athlete, that person is receiving a lot of income from outside sources. However, their money received is more performance oriented.

A question to ask is NIL verses sponsorship. sponsorship has existed for years and is legal and for certain athletes pays a lot more than NIL provides.

Reactions: Flot
Serious question as this seldom works well in the NFL.

Does Walters have someone designated to monitor payroll and manage the roster much like a GM does in the NFL? If not, should it be a priority to get someone on staff to fill that role?
Short answer - yes.

There are already people on staff who handle recruiting…I am sure that’s evolving to encompass keeping current players around as well.

Short answer - yes.

There are already people on staff who handle recruiting…I am sure that’s evolving to encompass keeping current players around as well.
What about a director of college scouting, for scouting other schools players?

In Harbaugh’s latest speech he wanted coaches’ salaries and BIG 10 network money to be able to go to paying his athletes! I’m sure Harbaugh was thinking about the tennis, swimming, gymnastics, baseball, hockey, volleyball, golfers and track athletes when he made his statements!

This is why you need a NIL coordinator working for the AD and not the football coach.

Purdue has a general manager, Noah Joseph. Now, I don’t know the day-to-day for his job but recruiting is likely high on the totem pole.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT