ADVERTISEMENT

Need a new head coach!

A lot of people are blaming the offensive coordinator and Card! Walters is obviously a defensive minded head coach. Our offensive coordinator had success before he came to Purdue! The question would be why is Purdue’s offense such a failure? And what would be the easiest way to fix it! Hire a new coach? Install a more conservative offense? Recruit a different type of player? Place some emphasis on recruiting better linemen? Replacing the QB? Learn how to develop players?

My personal thought is replacing the coach and replacing card is not the answer. My personal thought is to start with the offensive line. This seems to be a recurring issue with Purdue football. A great line gives a qb time to throw and opens up holes for the running game! A great line makes other players look good. The Midwest is full of awesome linemen. They don’t all go to uw, Iowa, nd , OSU and mich. Even IU has recruited a few very good offensive linemen in the past. And there have been a few linemen that have not redshirted and actually played as freshmen! Purdue has a center who did not redshirt! Purdue needs to find and needs to recruit more like him! Indiana has a lot of awesome lineman. Purdue needs to find a way to bring them to Purdue .

Maybe what Purdue really needs is not a new head coach or offensive coordinator or or QB. Maybe what Purdue really needs is an offensive line coach that can develop players and also recruit some better linemen. And the place to recruit is right in our back door rather than going down to Texas and Florida!

Reactions: Murv 3
A lot of people are blaming the offensive coordinator and Card! Walters is obviously a defensive minded head coach. Our offensive coordinator had success before he came to Purdue! The question would be why is Purdue’s offense such a failure? And what would be the easiest way to fix it! Hire a new coach? Install a more conservative offense? Recruit a different type of player? Place some emphasis on recruiting better linemen? Replacing the QB? Learn how to develop players?

My personal thought is replacing the coach and replacing card is not the answer. My personal thought is to start with the offensive line. This seems to be a recurring issue with Purdue football. A great line gives a qb time to throw and opens up holes for the running game! A great line makes other players look good. The Midwest is full of awesome linemen. They don’t all go to uw, Iowa, nd , OSU and mich. Even IU has recruited a few very good offensive linemen in the past. And there have been a few linemen that have not redshirted and actually played as freshmen! Purdue has a center who did not redshirt! Purdue needs to find and needs to recruit more like him! Indiana has a lot of awesome lineman. Purdue needs to find a way to bring them to Purdue .

Maybe what Purdue really needs is not a new head coach or offensive coordinator or or QB. Maybe what Purdue really needs is an offensive line coach that can develop players and also recruit some better linemen. And the place to recruit is right in our back door rather than going down to Texas and Florida!
Like Brian Ferentz

Like Brian Ferentz
Ferentz has a reputation of being able to recruit and develop offensive linemen. There have to be others out there. Historically Purdue has never had an offensive line coach known for developing or recruiting offensive linemen. Admittedly we not going to out recruit OSU, but it is rather sad watching some of the best linemen in Indiana going to IU and Iowa instead of Purdue. One would think linemen would want to play for a passing oriented team. But we always seem to miss out.

I do think some people are bringing up some good points on which direction that we should go in the future. We have had many great quarterbacks and offenses. I would hate to lose that direction since everyone else is going for mobile quarterbacks that can also run. Did you see the LSU/Bama game? amazing offenses. So my vote is we should be an offensive minded team.

That’s the direction I thought everyone believed the entire admin and Fanbase was pointed in. All this talk about not having quarterbacks is bologna. Who was Aidan O when recruited?

IMO Purdue cannot succeed without a proven offensive minded head coach. Not one who promises to hire a coordinator who’s worked in the air raid o, but a coach who has shown they know how to put together a creative passing game that destroys their opponents based on timing, multiple options with a QB trained to check-down, and precision route running.

We went the opposite direction seemingly at the last minute, and as a result are experiencing the opposite of success.

Took the budget route.

Question: Can a Big 10 school be relegated from the conference because they are not keeping up? If Notre Dame and Clemson wanted to come in lets say, could the commissioner decide to let 2 schools go?

That’s the direction I thought everyone believed the entire admin and Fanbase was pointed in. All this talk about not having quarterbacks is bologna. Who was Aidan O when recruited?

IMO Purdue cannot succeed without a proven offensive minded head coach. Not one who promises to hire a coordinator who’s worked in the air raid o, but a coach who has shown they know how to put together a creative passing game that destroys their opponents based on timing, multiple options with a QB trained to check-down, and precision route running.

We went the opposite direction seemingly at the last minute, and as a result are experiencing the opposite of success.
I wanted an offensive minded coach as well. I think that is what most people wanted. However, the timing of the situation left Bobo holding the bag with no time for a conventional coaching search. Walters appeared to be an up and comer and with virtually no time left in the fall signing period when Brohm departed. Bobo acted quickly to secure the players that had been recruited. I understand everyone's frustration, but we were left with little to no time to act.

Took the budget route.

Question: Can a Big 10 school be relegated from the conference because they are not keeping up? If Notre Dame and Clemson wanted to come in lets say, could the commissioner decide to let 2 schools go?
Purdue isn't going anywhere. We are one of the founders of the Big Ten. The Big Ten was established in 1895 under the leadership of Purdue President James Smart.

I wanted an offensive minded coach as well. I think that is what most people wanted. However, the timing of the situation left Bobo holding the bag with no time for a conventional coaching search. Walters appeared to be an up and comer and with virtually no time left in the fall signing period when Brohm departed. Bobo acted quickly to secure the players that had been recruited. I understand everyone's frustration, but we were left with little to no time to act.
I call balogna on that too. Everybody, everyone knew Brohm was a flight risk especially following a good season. We had something to offer to a new coach this season, which we haven’t had in a while: taking the reins of a divisional champ off of a bowl game. There is no excuse for the admin to act like they got caught by surprise.

And as far as players transferring, there may have been a couple more departures than usual, but the transfer portal situation in 2023 is more fluid. You should expect more outgoing AND incoming transfers these days, and part of the coach’s job is to be on the positive side of that equation. If the AD looks at a coach candidate without the ability to be on the positive side of that equation, it should have been taken into account before extending an offer. Maybe if the incoming coach had an awesome track record of putting together high-powered passing attacks, maybe that would have be enough to offset a slow start and give hope. But we got a coach who not only wasn’t able to mitigate any of the transitional attrition, but also hasn’t shown any indication of mastering the only type of offense that traditionally has success at this school in this conference.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Not sure I’d 100% agree. Bobo gets paid to make sure he has a plan in place when this type of thing happens and Brohm left Dec 7th if I remember correctly. From all the reports there was at least significant smoke a week or two proceeding that Dec 7th date as well. Everyone at Purdue knew that day was coming and knew who was going to pull Brohm away. If Bobo was caught flat footed it’s because he wasn’t doing his job.

Card needs replaced. Even the commentators pointed it out. He has happy feet. Even when he has enough time he still panics and moves out of the pocket. I'm jot sure what has happened to him but he has absolutely terrible the last 5 games. It's time to change the QB before going after the HC or OC.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
I call balogna on that too. Everybody, everyone knew Brohm was a flight risk especially following a good season. We had something to offer to a new coach this season, which we haven’t had in a while: taking the reins of a divisional champ off of a bowl game. There is no excuse for the admin to act like they got caught by surprise.

And as far as players transferring, there may have been a couple more departures than usual, but the transfer portal situation in 2023 is more fluid. You should expect more outgoing AND incoming transfers these days, and part of the coach’s job is to be on the positive side of that equation. If the AD looks at a coach candidate without the ability to be on the positive side of that equation, it should have been taken into account before extending an offer. Maybe if the incoming coach had an awesome track record of putting together high-powered passing attacks, maybe that would have be enough to offset a slow start and give hope. But we got a coach who not only wasn’t able to mitigate any of the transitional attrition, but also hasn’t shown any indication of mastering the only type of offense that traditionally has success at this school in this conference.
I agree with a lot of that. Problem is that we would have had to start a search before Brohm bolted.

Last edited:
Not sure I’d 100% agree. Bobo gets paid to make sure he has a plan in place when this type of thing happens and Brohm left Dec 7th if I remember correctly. From all the reports there was at least significant smoke a week or two proceeding that Dec 7th date as well. Everyone at Purdue knew that day was coming and knew who was going to pull Brohm away. If Bobo was caught flat footed it’s because he wasn’t doing his job.
Good points.

I agree with a lot of that. Problem is that we would have had to start a search before Brohm bolted.
And why didn’t they? At least they could have put out feelers, had a top 10 list, had some connections waiting in the wings, etc. everybody seemed to know this was likely to happen, except for the people who were supposed to be in charge of knowing such things.

A couple of weeks ago I seen a list of coaches that are on Mich St,s radar. They were four of them but I can only remember three.
Oregon St’s coach
Wash St ‘s coach
Wake’s coach
Seems like a decent list to me. Or isn’t Purdue as desirable of a job than MSU?

A couple of weeks ago I seen a list of coaches that are on Mich St,s radar. They were four of them but I can only remember three.
Oregon St’s coach
Wash St ‘s coach
Wake’s coach
Seems like a decent list to me. Or isn’t Purdue as desirable of a job than MSU?
think the other guy was the OC at Wash, I think the msu job is slightly more desirable

With the situation Bobo was in he should have been doing a search starting in October every year. There is a lot of leg work that could have already been in place without contacting anyone directly. Don’t forget there was a lot of smoke floating around at least a week if not two before Brohm took off.

I disagree with the posts that say Purdue was limited in time to choose a successor to Brohm and also to the people who say Walters was limited in time to build his first recruiting class!

First for Purdue hiring. Walters. Going back in history when hope was fired, he was basically fired after the Minnesota game. And Morgan had names of his successor in his hand before the end of the season . Morgan was set to hire the coach from northern Illinois who decided to take the nc state job. But the facts are Morgan had a list of names before Hope left.

Brohm almost left before being given an extension. As part of the extension Brohm would only leave if an offer came from Louisville. The Purdue AD had to know that Brohm was thinking of leaving. And should have been making a list of replacements! So when Brohm announced he was leaving a competent Ad should have had a list of replacements already known. Look at mich st. They already have a list. It’s not taking them 6 months to find a replacement.

As for Walters and his recruiting class, as a dc at Illinois he was already recruiting players. All he had to do was tell the players he was recruiting that the school was Purdue and not Illinois! At the time the class was signed fans seemed to like it and it was close to being maxed out. So it seemed that Walters had plenty of time to form his first class.

So many times fans claim a coach needed more time to form a class. But the first classes in every case of hope, bhazell, Brohm And Watson were all maxed out on signing day. Giving any of the 4 coaches additional time. Would not have changed their recruiting classes or improved them or added to them.

As for the limited time to hire a new coach, hope was hired an entire year in advance to replace tiller. Morgan had a bunch of names in hand to replace hope! A committee was formed to select Hazell. Brohm’s name was known in a short time. An intelligent AD knew Brohm was thinking of leaving for Louisville and should have started keeping Va list of successors. Brohm’s replacement should never have been a surprise or something made on a whim or last minute feeling.

Reactions: FiveWeight
I disagree with the posts that say Purdue was limited in time to choose a successor to Brohm and also to the people who say Walters was limited in time to build his first recruiting class!

First for Purdue hiring. Walters. Going back in history when hope was fired, he was basically fired after the Minnesota game. And Morgan had names of his successor in his hand before the end of the season . Morgan was set to hire the coach from northern Illinois who decided to take the nc state job. But the facts are Morgan had a list of names before Hope left.

Brohm almost left before being given an extension. As part of the extension Brohm would only leave if an offer came from Louisville. The Purdue AD had to know that Brohm was thinking of leaving. And should have been making a list of replacements! So when Brohm announced he was leaving a competent Ad should have had a list of replacements already known. Look at mich st. They already have a list. It’s not taking them 6 months to find a replacement.

As for Walters and his recruiting class, as a dc at Illinois he was already recruiting players. All he had to do was tell the players he was recruiting that the school was Purdue and not Illinois! At the time the class was signed fans seemed to like it and it was close to being maxed out. So it seemed that Walters had plenty of time to form his first class.

So many times fans claim a coach needed more time to form a class. But the first classes in every case of hope, bhazell, Brohm And Watson were all maxed out on signing day. Giving any of the 4 coaches additional time. Would not have changed their recruiting classes or improved them or added to them.

As for the limited time to hire a new coach, hope was hired an entire year in advance to replace tiller. Morgan had a bunch of names in hand to replace hope! A committee was formed to select Hazell. Brohm’s name was known in a short time. An intelligent AD knew Brohm was thinking of leaving for Louisville and should have started keeping Va list of successors. Brohm’s replacement should never have been a surprise or something made on a whim or last minute feeling.
Except that Bobinski didn't know that Brohm was leaving until after the BT Championship game. So your timeframe comparison isn't close.

If walters had limited time and that is part of the reason why we have struggled, then explain northwestern. They lost their coach right before the season and there was mass player defections. They have 4 wins I believe and could possibly get to 6.

The interim HC was already there and knew the players. But you are correct they seem to be playing better with IHC.

Again, Purdue always goes cheap on the hiring. Someone told me they have to fund the football program independent of the university. So not sure where the BIG10 money goes. I assume assistants aren't paid very well either. So somebody please enlighten me.

With the situation Bobo was in he should have been doing a search starting in October every year. There is a lot of leg work that could have already been in place without contacting anyone directly. Don’t forget there was a lot of smoke floating around at least a week if not two before Brohm took off.
Yeah, even if it's under wraps, Bobo should have had a list of potential coaches in case Brohm decided to bolt. Satterfield left on December 5, but I think there was at least some indication that he would be leaving before that, especially since Louisville wasn't having a great season.

I've seen the point that Bobinski should have been prepared for Brohm to leave and have a list of candidates ready posted a lot. Who's to day that he didn't have that list and hired the guy at the top of it? Was Bobinski quoted saying he was caught off guard when Brohm left?

I've seen the point that Bobinski should have been prepared for Brohm to leave and have a list of candidates ready posted a lot. Who's to day that he didn't have that list and hired the guy at the top of it? Was Bobinski quoted saying he was caught off guard when Brohm left?
We got the opposite of what was widely believed we needed and were likely pursuing - a defensive minded coach without proven, successful HC experience or any track record of masterminding high-powered passing offenses. It seemed between the team’s recent success, massive BTN revenue, and the historic nature of being the cradle of quarterbacks, we should’ve been poised to make a splash hire. Bobinski’s statement ahead of the hiring announcement led us to believe as much. I think people are giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t make a top 10 list with Walters at the top, but I guess that doesn’t mean it’s not true.

I have nothing against Walters other than thinking he was a reach and not what we needed, but unfortunately, my concerns were cemented after hearing his press conference describing himself as feeling like a 19-year-old with the keys to his parents’ Beamer.

I hope he turns the season around and earns himself a contract extension. I would love to eat crow. But there is a difference between hope and expectation.

We got the opposite of what was widely believed we needed and were likely pursuing - a defensive minded coach without proven, successful HC experience or any track record of masterminding high-powered passing offenses. It seemed between the team’s recent success, massive BTN revenue, and the historic nature of being the cradle of quarterbacks, we should’ve been poised to make a splash hire. Bobinski’s statement ahead of the hiring announcement led us to believe as much. I think people are giving him the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t make a top 10 list with Walters at the top, but I guess that doesn’t mean it’s not true.

I have nothing against Walters other than thinking he was a reach and not what we needed, but unfortunately, my concerns were cemented after hearing his press conference describing himself as feeling like a 19-year-old with the keys to his parents’ Beamer.

I hope he turns the season around and earns himself a contract extension. I would love to eat crow. But there is a difference between hope and expectation.
Idk, I just don't think Purdue is ever in position to make a splash hire. Not even in BB if for some reason we needed a coach. And I don't think we ever will be. I guess that's just the way I view Purdue through the lens of watching college athletics and the feel I have for the way the school is viewed by everyone else. Maybe I am wrong.

My feeling is that Walters was a hot name as far as being young and ascending, and Bobinski decided to take on some risk to hope that he recruits extremely well and will always field a strong D. Jury is out on that and he obviously needs to think hard about where the offense is with Harrell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT