ADVERTISEMENT

I support Coach Ryan Walters

Sep 2, 2001
Coach Walters was given the terrible task of building a winning team this year despite all of the 2022 players leaving the program. I am being told he is recruiting better players than the previous coach. I myself was not expecting a winning season this year (maybe 3 wins?) due to the #1 toughest football schedule in the country. I am going to predict great things are going to happen at Purdue with the new players Coach Walters is bringing and going after. Yes, I am a season ticket holder, Purdue Alumni, John Purdue member, etc. I have been watching Purdue sports for over 65 years. SUPPORT THE COACH and the TEAM!

I support whoever our coach is. The coach's success is good for all of us.

I kindly disagree though that all the players left. I would argue that Walters was left with quite a bit of talent especially compared to Brohm's first year (Miller, Hartwig, Mock, Burks, Sheffield, Jenkins, Scourton, Brevard, Thienanman, Klare, Tracy off the top of my head). Definitely some gaping holes overall, but this team has some talent.

I kindly disagree though that all the players left. I would argue that Walters was left with quite a bit of talent especially compared to Brohm's first year (Miller, Hartwig, Mock, Burks, Sheffield, Jenkins, Scourton, Brevard, Thienanman, Klare, Tracy off the top of my head). Definitely some gaping holes overall, but this team has some talent.
Exactly. All the talent that Hazell supposedly left went 1-8 in conference the year before.

Coach Walters was given the terrible task of building a winning team this year despite all of the 2022 players leaving the program. I am being told he is recruiting better players than the previous coach. I myself was not expecting a winning season this year (maybe 3 wins?) due to the #1 toughest football schedule in the country. I am going to predict great things are going to happen at Purdue with the new players Coach Walters is bringing and going after. Yes, I am a season ticket holder, Purdue Alumni, John Purdue member, etc. I have been watching Purdue sports for over 65 years. SUPPORT THE COACH and the TEAM!
The key will be holding this 2024 class together. Winning some games down the stretch will help.

Say it again for the cheap seats please. This whole “the cupboards were left bare” argument I keep hearing is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. There is way more talent here now than when Brohm took over. Were there holes left by O’Connell, Jones, and Trice leaving? Yep. And this coach had the same opportunities to fill those holes through the portal as every other coach. Imo it was a huge miss with Card and our offense is paying the price.

Walters deserves a chance and he will likely get 3-4 years. He is recruiting well so far but that won’t last if the on field product continues to look like it has so far this year.

Say it again for the cheap seats please. This whole “the cupboards were left bare” argument I keep hearing is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. There is way more talent here now than when Brohm took over. Were there holes left by O’Connell, Jones, and Trice leaving? Yep. And this coach had the same opportunities to fill those holes through the portal as every other coach. Imo it was a huge miss with Card and our offense is paying the price.

Walters deserves a chance and he will likely get 3-4 years. He is recruiting well so far but that won’t last if the on field product continues to look like it has so far this year.
David Blough, Elijah Sindelar, Markell Jones, Dj Knox and Markus Bailey were just a few of the names of players that Brohm inherited from Hazel. If you look at the time frame in which Walters was hired, he did NOT have the same opportunity to recruit from the portal as other coaches did. If you think Brohm didn't leave the cupboard bare then you might want to look again. How many starting quarterbacks were left for Walters to begin with? THE most important position was a big zero. When Brohm started he had Blough, Sindelar, and 9 other starters and no portal to deal with. Apples and oranges. Maybe you will be right in the end, but if you think Walters had an equal start with the cards he was dealt I would disagree.

Last edited:
People can make counter-arguments to the whole cupboard-is-bare thing on both sides. Someone here used Theineman and Klare as positives for what Walters walked into. They're first-year players! Not highly recruited as well! Thrust into a role that they might not be ready for even though they are/were playing well.

To me, the schedule might be the biggest hurdle facing Walters, along with him being green from a head coaching standpoint. Has he made mistakes? Sure, of course. Did Brohm? You betcha. Brohm caught lightning in a bottle with a few notable players and had some soft schedules during his time. But he also lost his share of head-scratching games, just like he did this past Saturday.

Recruiting seems to be on the rise. I'd like to see more sustainability before putting that statement in pen though.

Saturday we were overmatched, and knew it going in. There was some promise in the first drive, but the missed FG was essentially the end of the game, and everyone knew it. I will be encouraged with competitiveness the rest of the way, with 2 or 3 actual wins. Outside of Michigan, these are games that can be won.

David Blough, Elijah Sindelar, Markell Jones, Dj Knox and Markus Bailey were just a few of the names of players that Brohm inherited from Hazel. If you look at the time frame in which Walters was hired, he did NOT have the same opportunity to recruit from the portal as other coaches did. If you think Brohm didn't leave the cupboard bare then you might want to look again. How many starting quarterbacks were left for Walters to begin with? THE most important position was a big zero. When Brohm started he had Blough, Sindelar, and 9 other starters and no portal to deal with. Apples and oranges. Maybe you will be right in the end, but if you think Walters had an equal start with the cards he was dealt I would disagree.
I wouldn’t argue Walters has an equal start. I would argue he has a much better start. Go look at the average ranking of every recruit each of them had on the roster. It’s not even close.

And exactly how many games had those oh so great qbs won prior to Brohm getting here?

Edit - I am also pretty sure that there was a highly touted 4 star sophomore qb on roster until May. It wasn’t Brohm who brought in Card and anointed him the starter running off the remaining qbs. And Allen was a higher rated qb than Blough.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t argue Walters has an equal start. I would argue he has a much better start. Go look at the average ranking of every recruit each of them had on the roster. It’s not even close.

And exactly how many games had those oh so great qbs won prior to Brohm getting here?
I'd like to see that comparison. Might be closer than we all think. You don't think Blough was a good quarterback? Blough and Sindelar were better quarterbacks than Brohm recruited. He couldn't replace them with his recruits. He finally used Plummer and then replaced him with someone else he didn't recruit. AOC a walkon.

I'd like to see that comparison. Might be closer than we all think. You don't think Blough was a good quarterback? Blough and Sindelar were better quarterbacks than Brohm recruited. He couldn't replace them with his recruits. He finally used Plummer and then replaced him with someone else he didn't recruit. AOC a walkon.
How many B1G games did Blough and Sindelar win before Brohm got here?

And who recruited AOC to Purdue?

I don't know what support the coach means. He will win or lose regardless of what anyone on here thinks or says. I certainly hope he wins. There's very little I can do to make that happen.

If I post that he's awesome, he won't win a single game because of it, and if I post that he sucks, he won't lose a single game because of it.

Folks will show up if he wins, and if he loses for awhile, those numbers will fall. Again, regardless of what's posted here. Painter wasn't fired because folks here asked for it, and he didn't make a final four because folks here predicted it.

It's a message board for opinions. That's it. Folks can have whatever opinion they want and it neither makes them good or bad fans. They could end up right, or wrong, still doesn't make them good or bad fans. Just makes them fans with an opinion that ended up being right or wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one and pboiler18

Edit - I am also pretty sure that there was a highly touted 4 star sophomore qb on roster until May. It wasn’t Brohm who brought in Card and anointed him the starter running off the remaining qbs. And Allen was a higher rated qb than Blough.
How many games had Allen played in? He couldn't even make it to number 2 on the roster and he had already flirted with the portal. You were going to plan on him taking the reins?

A six-game sample size is not enough to draw any real conclusions regarding Coach Walters. I'd like to see how he finishes out this season against beatable opponents, and then see how he does next season after having a full year to recruit his type of players. I think we'll all be in a better position to draw some conclusions about his ability to be a head coach in a Power 5 conference.

A six-game sample size is not enough to draw any real conclusions regarding Coach Walters. I'd like to see how he finishes out this season against beatable opponents, and then see how he does next season after having a full year to recruit his type of players. I think we'll all be in a better position to draw some conclusions about his ability to be a head coach in a Power 5 conference.
Absolutely. We are still suffering from the POST Big Ten championship debacle.

Our quarterback is a big issue right now. He alone is losing us games. Defense has kept it close since the 2nd half of the Wisconsin game. Minus last weekend. QB needs benched. He is not the answer unfortunately

36-34, "recruiting god". Ok Mrs. Brohm! LOL
Compared to Hazell, the worst recruiter in Purdue football history, yes he was.

The Haze’s classes were ranked 70th in the country on average, and the results on the field proved those rankings to be very accurate.

Compared to Hazell, the worst recruiter in Purdue football history, yes he was.

The Haze’s classes were ranked 70th in the country on average, and the results on the field proved those rankings to be very accurate.
Ok Mrs. Brohm. Time to kiss his ring. LOL

Ok. Hater, I think you made your point. Go worship your Brohm poster. LOL
Is it Hating to point out facts?

Historically Awful recruiting classes = Historically awful roster.

Want me to list where the 2014-16 classes were ranked nationally and in the B1G ?

Go ahead. Here are the last 3 class rankings for your "recruiting god", 2021 72nd, 2022, 32nd, 2023 69th. I know Hazell was terrible and I never claimed he was a great recruiter. Not sure what you are attempting to prove. Are you claiming that Brohm had nothing to start with? What the rankings show is that Brohm didn't leave Walters with a much better situation than he inherited.

Reactions: drewjin
Go ahead. Here are the last 3 class rankings for your "recruiting god", 2021 72nd, 2022, 32nd, 2023 69th. I know Hazell was terrible and I never claimed he was a great recruiter. Not sure what you are attempting to prove. Are you claiming that Brohm had nothing to start with? What the rankings show is that Brohm didn't leave Walters with a much better situation than he inherited.
2023 doesn’t count, obviously, since he wasn’t here to close it.

The rest of his classes average around 40.

Hazell’s classes average around 70.

Hence 1-8 and a terrible roster left for Brohm.

Just like with comparing the 2000 OSU and Purdue talent, you lose again.

2023 doesn’t count, obviously, since he wasn’t here to close it.

The rest of his classes average around 40.

Hazell’s classes average around 70.

Hence 1-8 and a terrible roster left for Brohm.

Just like with comparing the 2000 OSU and Purdue talent, you lose again
Sorry you lose. Brohm left Dec. 7th and the signing period for the 2023 class started Dec. 21. Walter's first class will be the next one, he was trying to fill the gaps on the one Brohm left him. It was ranked 69th BEFORE all of the decommits. Once again, you keep moving the goal posts in an attempt to be right.

Last edited:
Sorry you lose. Brohm left Dec. 7th and the signing period for the 2023 class started Dec. 21. Walter's first class will be the next one, he was trying to fill the gaps on the one Brohm left him. It was ranked 69th BEFORE all of the decommits. Once again, you keep moving the goal posts in an attempt to be right.
Brohm’s classes averaged 40.

Hazell’s averaged 70.

1-8.

You lose. Again.

Never what I claimed. I lost nothing. You lost on the last class thingy New Pal. Again
Brohm’s classes averaged 40. 45 if you count the one that he didn’t finish.

Hazell’s averaged 70.

1-8 in 2016. Trash fire.

Walters didn’t inherit any worse situation than Brohm did.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
Brohm’s classes averaged 40. 45 if you count the one that he didn’t finish.

Hazell’s averaged 70.

1-8 in 2016. Trash fire.

Walters didn’t inherit any worse situation than Brohm did.
What was the name of the starting quarterback that Walters inherited? The last 3 classes of Brohm averaged a shade under 58. The starting quarterback that Brohm inherited was Blough, and his backup was Sindelar.

Last edited:
What was the name of the starting quarterback that Walters inherited? The last 3 classes of Brohm averaged a shade under 58. The starting quarterback that Brohm inherited was Blough, and his backup was Sindelar.
Brohm’s 2019-2023 classes averaged 45.

Hazes 2013-17 classes averaged 70. Hence 1-8 trash fire, with maybe a dozen solid players. You need like 50 to be good.

Brohm’s 2019-2023 classes averaged 45.

Hazes 2013-17 classes averaged 70. Hence 1-8 trash fire, with maybe a dozen solid players. You need like 50 to be good.
Brohm's last 3 just under 58. Inherited Blough and Sindelar. Walter's inherited 0 starting quarterbacks.

Brohm's last 3 just under 58. Inherited Blough and Sindelar. Walter's inherited 0 starting quarterbacks.
Brohm’s 2019-2023 classes averaged 45. You can’t just cherry pick the worst years.

Hazes 2013-17 classes averaged 70.

1-8.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT