ADVERTISEMENT

If you're from IN, list your hometown here...

Haha. Don't want to be hayseed. There used to be a small golf course in Trafalgar. Uphill driveable first hole and another hole with a 90 degree dogleg left thru the trees. Is it still in business?
We lovingly referred to that course as "The Goat Ranch" since the fairways were clumpy grass and barre spots by mid July. The owners built a significantly nicer course on 135 a half mile West of Trafalgar called Tameka Woods. I don't think the Goat Ranch is open any longer. It may actually be a goat ranch though!

That's a rough school to attend, as far as being able to compete in athletics. I've driven by there before. It's just in a field near I-69, right? What nearby towns do the students come from: just Fremont and Angola (or people that live by the Lake Hamiltons', Lake James', or Crooked Lakes' up there) or are there others?
PHHS is on US 20 in LaGrange county. NECC conference. Angola, Eastside, West Noble and Lakeland are a few of the schools in the conference. A few small towns and lots of lakes feed into PHHS. I'm old enough that when I played it was still one class in basketball so we played some bigger schools in season and in sectionals. Hamilton is much smaller enrollment and draws from Hamilton and some lakes in the area.

Grew up in Mulberry. Graduated from Clinton Prairie high school 1965, joined the Navy and wound up in Illinois since 1970 . In grade school before Mulberry consolidated Oscar Robinson was at our basketball banquet had his autograph but lost years ago. He was still at Crispus Attucks at that time

Grew up in Mulberry. Graduated from Clinton Prairie high school 1965, joined the Navy and wound up in Illinois since 1970 . In grade school before Mulberry consolidated Oscar Robinson was at our basketball banquet had his autograph but lost years ago. He was still at Crispus Attucks at that time
You do know there are at least two Mulberrie's in Indiana don't you. One in Grant County.

6877944793_20c2130e5b_z.jpg

PHHS is on US 20 in LaGrange county. NECC conference. Angola, Eastside, West Noble and Lakeland are a few of the schools in the conference. A few small towns and lots of lakes feed into PHHS. I'm old enough that when I played it was still one class in basketball so we played some bigger schools in season and in sectionals. Hamilton is much smaller enrollment and draws from Hamilton and some lakes in the area.

Yeah, I've known of those schools for years. Hamilton has a smaller enrollment than Prairie Heights? That's surprising to me.

Gary. Then CP.

Dr Ess, great memories of what may be the greatest year in Region Hoops that I recall,1978.

Gary Roosevelt with Jon Hegwood, who went to U of San Francisco with Wallace Bryant, upset Bryant's Emerson squad on Friday night in Gary sectional. Merrillville won at Calumet. Your Noll Warriors came out of EC.

(Crown Point, Calumet, Munster, and both EC teams were also strong that year up here).

At Gary Regional, most thought it would be Jerry King's Bishop Noll team advancing. Merrillville with Jelesky and Seneff pulled the big upset.

Great memories.

Not Indiana but small little town, Mayberry North Carolina. Great place grow up , good haircuts and really friendly gas station attendants.

Talking dog may have went national but not sure.
Opie and Arnold fooled Goober for awhile with that dog,didnt they?Goober did good imitations of Cary Grant,Edward G Robinson,and Chester,didnt he?

Born and raised in East Chicago, IN. Graduated from Bishop Noll Institute In Hammond, IN in 1983. Currently reside in Munster, IN.

Reactions: sluggo69
My family moved to the Fort from Germany in 1845 and has been there ever since. Until me. I've lived in the MW, TX, PA, and now NH.

Last edited:
don't think so there's a Mathews in Grant county but no Mulberry unless its a subdivision or something
There is a town known as Mulberry where 26 intersects with old US 35. It's been known as Trask (Historic marker) was known as New Mulberry and now is simply known as Mulberry by the locals. I doubt you can find it on a map, but the good thing it leads to Ivanhoe's in Upland.

Reactions: 1869er
Yeah, I've known of those schools for years. Hamilton has a smaller enrollment than Prairie Heights? That's surprising to me.
I graduated in '92 and 46 kids in my class. At the time it was the 6th smallest public school in the state. Current class sizes are in the 20's now and just heard they are closing the school down in a year or two. School fits a geographic niche and has been there over 100 years. My dad graduated from there. Not surprised it is finally shuttering the doors, but sad to hear. Some of those kids are going to have a helluva buss ride to neighboring schools.

you might know my mom! Last name was Shirar

Redkey (Jay County)
*Painter beat my Patriots in sectional his senior year, dropped 40.
Lots of good basketball in that area in the 80's, Lewis at Anderson, Alford at New Castle, Muncie Central had some good teams. The best shooter I ever saw in person in High School was Woody Austin, the guy was so smooth, however his brother had a better career at Purdue in my opinion
Redkey
BoilerinLouisville PM me

Last edited:
I graduated in '92 and 46 kids in my class. At the time it was the 6th smallest public school in the state. Current class sizes are in the 20's now and just heard they are closing the school down in a year or two. School fits a geographic niche and has been there over 100 years. My dad graduated from there. Not surprised it is finally shuttering the doors, but sad to hear. Some of those kids are going to have a helluva buss ride to neighboring schools.
Sorry to hear about it closing. We recently moved back to the Fort from living in Iowa and Illinois for 15 years. Raised our boys in those 2 states and they haven't done the consolidation like Indiana did. Lots of small schools there and it reminded me of the pre-consolidation days that my Dad described in Indiana. Rivalries were great with schools being so close to each other and the kids knowing each other so well. Great small gym atmospheres packed to the rafters on a Friday or Saturday night! Good God I'm getting old!!!

Bristol. Elkhart Central grad. Used to mow Shawn Kemp's lawn in Bristol at the estate he bought for his mom after his first year in the NBA. He paid $10/hour which was big money for a 13 year old in 1989!

Parker City, Randolph County

Monroe Central HS, they voted against class basketball.

Tipton. Hometown of Matt Waddell and Derek Elston. I was long gone from Indiana before either of them came along, but I was in HS when Derek's dad Darrell played. Purdue offered Darrell a football scholarship, but not basketball, so he went to play for the Tarheals and had a cup of coffee with the Pacers.

Not a lot of Electrical Engineering opportunities in Tipton, so I have spent my career so far in the Twin Cities, Rochester, NY, and now Milwaukee. Best thing about Milwaukee, it is only a 3 1/2 hour drive to Purdue, so I can catch many more Boiler football and basketball games, even the mid week ones. Much harder to do so living in Minnie or upstate NY.

EE 1978
any relation to "Larry Wolf"???

Did Bobby Smith go there? I can't recall, but was thinking he might have graduated from Prairie?

Richmond

If not from IN, but living here now, of for most of your life, please feel free to list that city.

OK, feel free to list any city you rep from IN in this thread.

Sheesh. Thx.
between Tipton and Kokomo...little town called Sharpsville...where 1969 Golden Girl Selita (Smith) Rechart (Red Gold) lived. 72-76 Purdue

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT