ADVERTISEMENT

If you're from IN, list your hometown here...

TJ, we've chatted on here a few years ago, I'm from Mulberry. Bobby smith was AD and bball and cross country coach for many years, but he was from the region somewhere. I'll can't remember exactly where right now
Yeah, Bobby was a good coach. Sorry for my lack of memory. Bob Blades was jv coach under Bobby for a while...became A.D. at Plymouth and died of cancer a few years ago. I found myself high in a gym with Bob sitting beside me sometimes scouting. Andy Weaver that played at Prairie 83? was Western's coach for a while and did a nice job there..now at Plainfield. The old Rangeline Conference with Hamilton Southeastern, Hamilton Heights, Zionsville, Westfield, Sheridan, Clinton Prairie, Clinton Central and Tri-Central was a nice conference.

Reactions: 1869er
Ray is in good shape. I dated a cheerleader for a short while that might have been in your sisters class...can't believe I can't think of her name. Lived north of Plevna and had a couple of sisters.
My sister was
Ray is in good shape. I dated a cheerleader for a short while that might have been in your sisters class...can't believe I can't think of her name. Lived north of Plevna and had a couple of sisters.
One of my sisters was a cheerleader (grad 74). We lived 4 miles east of Plevna on 400n. Nothing there but Plevna Implement. Went there many times with my father/grandfather to get the Oliver worked on. Trying to think of the families in the area, Cravens, Youngs, Harpers, Millers, Frakes, Powells. Any ring a bell?

Yeah, Bobby was a good coach. Sorry for my lack of memory. Bob Blades was jv coach under Bobby for a while...became A.D. at Plymouth and died of cancer a few years ago. I found myself high in a gym with Bob sitting beside me sometimes scouting. Andy Weaver that played at Prairie 83? was Western's coach for a while and did a nice job there..now at Plainfield. The old Rangeline Conference with Hamilton Southeastern, Hamilton Heights, Zionsville, Westfield, Sheridan, Clinton Prairie, Clinton Central and Tri-Central was a nice conference.
Just how high were you TJ in the gym? LOL.

I have to give you credit TJ, you seem to know every player, coach, and ball boy from the past 40'years in north central IN. And you seem to have worked your way through several of the cheerleading squads as well. :)

My sister was

One of my sisters was a cheerleader (grad 74). We lived 4 miles east of Plevna on 400n. Nothing there but Plevna Implement. Went there many times with my father/grandfather to get the Oliver worked on. Trying to think of the families in the area, Cravens, Youngs, Harpers, Millers, Frakes, Powells. Any ring a bell?
She was blond, lived straight north out of Plevna and on the east side of the road...just before a "T"????? or crossroads? I started to write I couldn't believe I couldn't remember her name...thinking Lora Kendall? Only went out with her a few times. Was that the name?

From Fowler in Benton County. When I started school there were maybe a dozen schools in the county by the time I graduated we were down to one. Have also live in Murray KY for 3 years then to Washington, IN. Kids all went through HS just before the Zeller revolution started. Now in Carterville, IL (far southern, not Chitcago). Next stop by fall will be the Murrells Inlet - Pawleys Island SC area.

Just how high were you TJ in the gym? LOL.

I have to give you credit TJ, you seem to know every player, coach, and ball boy from the past 40'years in north central IN. And you seem to have worked your way through several of the cheerleading squads as well. :)

Top row ;) Even though you sign in I really didn't want coaches to know you were there while the game was going on...just in case a hand was tipped on some things. Enjoyed the comments...wished I knew the cheerleading squads better... :)

From Fowler in Benton County. When I started school there were maybe a dozen schools in the county by the time I graduated we were down to one. Have also live in Murray KY for 3 years then to Washington, IN. Kids all went through HS just before the Zeller revolution started. Now in Carterville, IL (far southern, not Chitcago). Next stop by fall will be the Murrells Inlet - Pawleys Island SC area.
Did the pheasant population ever come back from the late 70's winters? I used to hunt some at Earl Park, Brooke and Remmington. Enjoyed hunting pheasant, but those contacts are long gone now...

Originally from the south side of Indianapolis. Living on the east side of Cincinnati, OH these days.

SlBoiler,

Murray, Kentucky.....made several stops @ Victor's Sandwiches.....best in that area. I'm guessing you also made a few trips to Paris?

Did the pheasant population ever come back from the late 70's winters? I used to hunt some at Earl Park, Brooke and Remmington. Enjoyed hunting pheasant, but those contacts are long gone now...
Pheasants are much like ghost baseball players. If you build it they will come. When the habitat left due to modern farming practices the pheasant boom years were over. There are small pockets where the state has purchase plots and some farmers have left a little weedy cover but we are so far removed from those days when they were an important part of the area that today's farmer sees no use in leaving a little for the animals to survive. Grew up there in the 50s and 60s so I was in the middle of the good years. Saw a lot of good small school basketball. That was during the tail end of the area dominance by Lafayette Jeff. Saw Marion Crawley coach a few. Quite a showman. Locals in our system were Dale Smith, Dick Atha and Dave Nicholson.

Reactions: tjreese
Rushville. We claim Tony Stewart as the Rushville Rocket. State runner up in boys 1976. Brad Miley a member of that team, was a Biggie-ish type rebounder. Had 29 rebounds in a state semi finals game, 21 in final(state record for single FF and total) He played with Larry Bird in NCAA runner ups ISU. Girls went to final four three times before class basketball. Girls lead the state in most sectional crowns(31).
Connersville was our most hated rival back when I played Not sure about that now.

SlBoiler,

Murray, Kentucky.....made several stops @ Victor's Sandwiches.....best in that area. I'm guessing you also made a few trips to Paris?
Lived there from 90-93. Murray was still dry then. Never wanted a beer on a hot summer day as bad as you did after mowing and knowing you had to either drive to TN or Paducah (20-40 miles in either direction) to get one. Fished out of Paris Landing some so yes been there. Since 90 I've lived within an easy drive of the big rivers (Ohio and Mississippi). Definitely brings a different flavor to life when you explore old river towns.

My uncle used to work at the bank in Dale. My dad was a veterinarian and spent a lot of time in that area. Have a lot of relatives in Dubois and Spencer county as well. Most of them are Indiana fans, however.
Pretty much true of that area except for a pocket of Purdue grads in the Jasper area.

Lived there from 90-93. Murray was still dry then. Never wanted a beer on a hot summer day as bad as you did after mowing and knowing you had to either drive to TN or Paducah (20-40 miles in either direction) to get one. Fished out of Paris Landing some so yes been there. Since 90 I've lived within an easy drive of the big rivers (Ohio and Mississippi). Definitely brings a different flavor to life when you explore old river towns.

Plenty of good fishing in the Kentucky Lakes and Cumberland River, too.....or at least it used to be. Some good public golf courses all throughout that area as well.

She was blond, lived straight north out of Plevna and on the east side of the road...just before a "T"????? or crossroads? I started to write I couldn't believe I couldn't remember her name...thinking Lora Kendall? Only went out with her a few times. Was that the name?
Yep Laura Kendall. I think she graduated in 73. In the attached link, my sister is on the far left.

http://collections.howardcountymemo...earbooks/id/28330/rv/compoundobject/cpd/28430

BTW: You know quite a few people from the Eastern Howard County area, where are you from/live?

Last edited:
Rushville. We claim Tony Stewart as the Rushville Rocket. State runner up in boys 1976. Brad Miley a member of that team, was a Biggie-ish type rebounder. Had 29 rebounds in a state semi finals game, 21 in final(state record for single FF and total) He played with Larry Bird in NCAA runner ups ISU. Girls went to final four three times before class basketball. Girls lead the state in most sectional crowns(31).
Connersville was our most hated rival back when I played Not sure about that now.
Rushville. Moved to Lafayette after the 8th grade. Lived in Cincinnati now since 1984.

Living in western North Carolina last 30 years but my roots were really just south of Purdue at Darlington.

Yep Laura Kendall. I think she graduated in 73. In the attached link, my sister is on the far left.

http://collections.howardcountymemo...earbooks/id/28330/rv/compoundobject/cpd/28430

BTW: You know quite a few people from the Eastern Howard County area, where are you from/live?
Yeah...like I remember her. Funny story...my mother was a very good seamstress and through the years a cheerleader would come from Eastern to have her outfit adjusted (lived in Sharpsville) and during a time that I broke up with a high school gal I remembered that cheerleader adn asked my mother her name...called her (Laura) and we went out a few times. My neighbor back then was John Mohr and he was trying to fix me up with his half sister Donita (? another name escape) during a time she was havng some disagreements with her husband to be...Glen Colescott. Most I know from work or basketball. Steve Mathews was a baseball player when I was young. Lastly, I used to run to Greentown to see if anyone liked to play a little 8-ball or 9-ball for money...since that was date money for me back then. Seemed like there was a cute gal....Donita Howell ??? back then ...someone with a light colored cougar?

Saw Laura a couple of years ago and wasn't sure if it was her in Meijier. Being a bit bold I just asked this person if by chance she was Laura *remembered the name then) and she said yes and then asked if I were Tom? I understand she had some issues in her life, but she was still in relatively good shape just a couple of years ago... I know Jeff Keyton and I'm trying to think of the Horner girl that married a friend of mine, but really struggling today with memory...must be my fractional factorial class going on... :)

QUINCY. ATTENDED CLOVERDALE HIGH CLASS OF '84
Ah, Cloverdale...home of Larry Steele that I recall moving the rabbit ears to see him play in the tourney back in the 60's...before he went to UK adn before he went to teh NBA

Yeah...like I remember her. Funny story...my mother was a very good seamstress and through the years a cheerleader would come from Eastern to have her outfit adjusted (lived in Sharpsville) and during a time that I broke up with a high school gal I remembered that cheerleader adn asked my mother her name...called her (Laura) and we went out a few times. My neighbor back then was John Mohr and he was trying to fix me up with his half sister Donita (? another name escape) during a time she was havng some disagreements with her husband to be...Glen Colescott. Most I know from work or basketball. Steve Mathews was a baseball player when I was young. Lastly, I used to run to Greentown to see if anyone liked to play a little 8-ball or 9-ball for money...since that was date money for me back then. Seemed like there was a cute gal....Donita Howell ??? back then ...someone with a light colored cougar?

Saw Laura a couple of years ago and wasn't sure if it was her in Meijier. Being a bit bold I just asked this person if by chance she was Laura *remembered the name then) and she said yes and then asked if I were Tom? I understand she had some issues in her life, but she was still in relatively good shape just a couple of years ago... I know Jeff Keyton and I'm trying to think of the Horner girl that married a friend of mine, but really struggling today with memory...must be my fractional factorial class going on... :)

All those names are familiar to me. I think one of my sisters dated Glen briefly. All are a few years older but I had brothers and sisters in their classes. I'm the youngest of 7, so there were a number of Summers' before me. I think the Horner girl had a brother Stan, but I don't remember her name. John Mohr, is that the same as Mohr Construction? If so, he had a daughter, 1 year younger that was in Playboy in 82ish, Toni Mohr. It was like the girls of Howard County or something like that. There was another young lady that was in the same issue that I "traded dog tags" with in sixth grade and it's my claim to fame. I still have the magazine stored away someplace.

A friend of mine's father owned/ran the pool hall in Greentown, Bill Voorhis. My parents weren't excited about that "seedy" place. I worked at the Puckets/Hulces Grocery Store in Greentown during my HS years.

All those names are familiar to me. I think one of my sisters dated Glen briefly. All are a few years older but I had brothers and sisters in their classes. I'm the youngest of 7, so there were a number of Summers' before me. I think the Horner girl had a brother Stan, but I don't remember her name. John Mohr, is that the same as Mohr Construction? If so, he had a daughter, 1 year younger that was in Playboy in 82ish, Toni Mohr. It was like the girls of Howard County or something like that. There was another young lady that was in the same issue that I "traded dog tags" with in sixth grade and it's my claim to fame. I still have the magazine stored away someplace.

A friend of mine's father owned/ran the pool hall in Greentown, Bill Voorhis. My parents weren't excited about that "seedy" place. I worked at the Puckets/Hulces Grocery Store in Greentown during my HS years.

yes, and it was the older sister of Toni that ended up marrying Glen. Voorhis...one of them was an asst. football coach for IU and yes that was a pool hall. I travelled between Tipton, Kokomo and Greentown if there were some tables to shoot pool. Greentown was usually empty and NEVER struck up a game there. Tipton had some good shooters...the horner girl is the daughter of a Jesse that was known for doing drywall in many placers in the area...she was a very good friend of Laura's John was a son of Mohr construction...who with Gary Harsh coached some AAU around Kokomo. Gary was a student manager for Keady when Lavin was there.

Ah, Cloverdale...home of Larry Steele that I recall moving the rabbit ears to see him play in the tourney back in the 60's...before he went to UK adn before he went to teh NBA
The 1966 final four banner still hangs in our gym. I went to school with Chad Tucker who went on to Butler. Still butlers all time leading scorer i believe. Cooper Neese from cloverdale is committed to butler next year. I'll cheer for the young man but will always root for Purdue.

Reactions: tjreese
The 1966 final four banner still hangs in our gym. I went to school with Chad Tucker who went on to Butler. Still butlers all time leading scorer i believe. Cooper Neese from cloverdale is committed to butler next year. I'll cheer for the young man but will always root for Purdue.
I have heard of Larry Steele but i think he played for Bainbridge just north of cloverdale.

My brother-in-law played for Bainbridge...before Butler (almost went to Purdue on a scholly)

I have lived all my life in Muncie except for 4 years in college at Miami (O). I am a season ticket holder for Purdue basketball and Notre Dame football. I have been a big fan of Purdue since 1967.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT