ADVERTISEMENT

If you're from IN, list your hometown here...

Hands down one of the best HS players that I ever saw...remember a great matchup that Concord had against Rick Fox and Warsaw in the Regional when Shawn was a sophomore I believe.

I can remember a game where the home crowd was harassing him with endless chants, primarily "SAT"...he jumped center, tapped to Jamaar Johnson and immediately sprinted to the basket and threw down a one-handed alley-oop while flipping the student section off at the same time...it was classic. He was so good and so dominant that he was literally bored and would just try to think up things to try.

I can also remember a game in the 8th grade where I somehow ended up guarding him...I was 5'6"...he was not...he caught a pass, spun around me and dunked and I can recall my coach informing me that I needed to keep in front of him...as if THAT was the issue!

I had the good fortune of seeing some pretty incredible HS players back in the day, and he was about as good as any...among others that I saw and who stood out were Scott Skiles, Jay Edwards, Big Dog, Alan Henderson, Cory Maggette, and Kevin Garnett...as a Junior, Garnett (and Ronnie Fields) matched up with a Thornton team whose starting five included four future professionals (Antwaan Randle-El, Tai Streets, Napoleon Harris and Melvin Ely).

I was pretty good friends with Jamaar Johnson (JJ) when he was at Elkhart Central before transferring to Concord (along with Steve Larkin and Maceo Sharp) to build a powerhouse with Kemp.
I remember going to Northside gym and watching players like Delray Brooks, Skiles, Fox, Ernie Jones, and some other great players from northern IN.
The sectional games at Northside were legendary.

Reactions: DG10
I was pretty good friends with Jamaar Johnson (JJ) when he was at Elkhart Central before transferring to Concord (along with Steve Larkin and Maceo Sharp) to build a powerhouse with Kemp.
I remember going to Northside gym and watching players like Delray Brooks, Skiles, Fox, Ernie Jones, and some other great players from northern IN.
The sectional games at Northside were legendary.
Have very similar memories and sentiment, as, to me, it was the best place to watch games...an awesome environment.

Concord was loaded for certain...and very good as well.

There were a lot of REALLY good players, and REALLY good games.

Grew up there and joined the military just so I can escape :)
Got it...

I still have a good amount of family up there, and many friends...don't get back as much as I should probably, but still get up there a fair amount.

Where did you go to school up there?

Have very similar memories and sentiment, as, to me, it was the best place to watch games...an awesome environment.

Concord was loaded for certain...and very good as well.

There were a lot of REALLY good players, and REALLY good games.
I went to Northside in jr high and got to play in Northside gym all the time.
It's sad to see the lack of fan interest and support in the high school teams now.
Back in the day, it's what everyone did on a Friday night and the place was electric.

I went to Northside in jr high and got to play in Northside gym all the time.
It's sad to see the lack of fan interest and support in the high school teams now.
Back in the day, it's what everyone did on a Friday night and the place was electric.
I remember a couple of Northside Jr. High guys...Jeff Kollat (sp?) and Travis Day that I played with/against, and I am sure that there are others...those two guys were very good though.

Agree on your other point though for sure.

Harlan, little town 8miles east of Ft. Wayne on State Rd. 37. no stoplight just two flashing lights to help protect the Amish crossing. Love the idea of getting the Ft. Wayne fans together to do a watch party for games that we may not be able to attend. Been a fan since birth back in 1979, never attended Purdue, but have a dad, wife, 2 uncles and 2 aunts that are all graduates...it's in the blood.

South Bend.

And it still haunts me....
I hear that. My dad was a 37 year Bendix employee in the aeronautics division in South Bend. I think the SB Tribune made me a ND hater right from the start. So when you were younger growing up, were you ever an Irish fan?

My uncle used to work at the bank in Dale. My dad was a veterinarian and spent a lot of time in that area. Have a lot of relatives in Dubois and Spencer county as well. Most of them are Indiana fans, however.
He probably knew my father in law then-dairy farm

Richmond

If not from IN, but living here now, of for most of your life, please feel free to list that city.

OK, feel free to list any city you rep from IN in this thread.

Sheesh. Thx.
IndianapolisWasnt Florence Henderson from Dale?

Last edited:
Rockport. 3 stoplight town of 2000 on the Ohio River, about as far south as you can go in Indiana. Close to the Dr.'s Tell City & Chauncies' wife's Dale. Grew up an IU fan (how could I not?), but also grew up to be a Purdue engineer. Neil Reid's dad coached at my school for a few years (South Spencer), so I knew Neil as an adolescent (really nice kid and could BALL). Ken Perry also came out of South Spencer.

Rockport. 3 stoplight town of 2000 on the Ohio River, about as far south as you can go in Indiana. Close to the Dr.'s Tell City & Chauncies' wife's Dale. Grew up an IU fan (how could I not?), but also grew up to be a Purdue engineer. Neil Reid's dad coached at my school for a few years (South Spencer), so I knew Neil as an adolescent (really nice kid and could BALL). Ken Perry also came out of South Spencer.

I remember Kenny Perry. Great player. We had a great rivalry going with South Spencer back in the day. Remember traveling to Boonville when they used to hold the Sectional there. Had some great battles with the Rebels. I know. I know. That was truly back in the day. Also remember the great trips we had to Evansville for the regional and a couple of semi-states at Roberts Stadium.

Clay. Wife is a LaSalle grad. You?
Had friends that went to both...lived in Granger, so I went to Penn, but I played basketball and baseball in South Bend and had a lot of friends in the South Bend Community School District certainly.

When did you guys graduate?

Had friends that went to both...lived in Granger, so I went to Penn, but I played basketball and baseball in South Bend and had a lot of friends in the South Bend Community School District certainly.

When did you guys graduate?
Ahhh now you're trying to get me to show my age! 89...Both of us

Reactions: dbartn
Grew up in East Chicago, been living in Avon for 20+ years. Went to Bishop Noll in the mid-late 70's. Noll's 77-78 team had Thad Garner (Michigan) and a very good cast. Certainly could have won state in 78, but was upset in the Regional final to a Merrillville Pirates team that had future Purdue FBers Tim Seneff and Mike Jelesky. They did a good job slowing the game down on Noll which was the only why they could have won. Great region teams that year with EC Washington (maybe Drake Morris senior year), EC Roosevelt, Gary Emerson (Wallace Bryant - SF) and Gary Roosevelt (Ron Hedgwood - can't remember what school he went to). I miss those years watching HS basketball and frankly lost interest in the Indiana State tournament once it went Capris Sun's and Fruit Roll-ups.
To add, back in the day I always felt that Region teams did not get the respect in the rankings that the greater Indy teams did, as in my mind's eye, the Region teams were were just as good in many cases. That was until I moved out to the greater Indy area, as actually saw the level of talent and competition here....in all sports.
Lived in Avon from 2003 to 2016 (moved to OKC for work right before Halloween). You know the Wynbrooke subdivision? That was my hood.

Reactions: nagemj02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT