ADVERTISEMENT

If you're from IN, list your hometown here...

Born in Auburn then an Army brat living all over from ages 1-10. Did JH and HS in Hamilton (fly speck between Auburn and Angola).

Richmond

If not from IN, but living here now, of for most of your life, please feel free to list that city.

OK, feel free to list any city you rep from IN in this thread.

Sheesh. Thx.
West LaLa

I might get the record for the smallest town,,,,, Mulberry. (between Lafayette and Frankfort)
I lived in the country so no town per se, but 800 in Hamilton where my HS was. Mulberry might be smaller but how many kids in your graduating class? Only 46 for me. I was 3rd in my class, not good enough to be in the top 5%!

Reactions: Frankie611
Everton (population in 1947 - maybe 200 or so). Jr High and high school in nearest "large" town Connersville (state champs 1972 and 1983).

Redkey (Jay County)
*Painter beat my Patriots in sectional his senior year, dropped 40.
Lots of good basketball in that area in the 80's, Lewis at Anderson, Alford at New Castle, Muncie Central had some good teams. The best shooter I ever saw in person in High School was Woody Austin, the guy was so smooth, however his brother had a better career at Purdue in my opinion

Reactions: joekaar
Richmond

If not from IN, but living here now, of for most of your life, please feel free to list that city.

OK, feel free to list any city you rep from IN in this thread.

Sheesh. Thx.
Washington....Home of the Hatchets!

Grew up on a farm just outside the Waldron metro area (pop. 800, stoplights 1).

Born in Speedway but 'grew up' in Elkhart.
Was in high school during the Shawn Kemp years.

Born in Speedway but 'grew up' in Elkhart.
Was in high school during the Shawn Kemp years.
Hands down one of the best HS players that I ever saw...remember a great matchup that Concord had against Rick Fox and Warsaw in the Regional when Shawn was a sophomore I believe.

I can remember a game where the home crowd was harassing him with endless chants, primarily "SAT"...he jumped center, tapped to Jamaar Johnson and immediately sprinted to the basket and threw down a one-handed alley-oop while flipping the student section off at the same time...it was classic. He was so good and so dominant that he was literally bored and would just try to think up things to try.

I can also remember a game in the 8th grade where I somehow ended up guarding him...I was 5'6"...he was not...he caught a pass, spun around me and dunked and I can recall my coach informing me that I needed to keep in front of him...as if THAT was the issue!

I had the good fortune of seeing some pretty incredible HS players back in the day, and he was about as good as any...among others that I saw and who stood out were Scott Skiles, Jay Edwards, Big Dog, Alan Henderson, Cory Maggette, and Kevin Garnett...as a Junior, Garnett (and Ronnie Fields) matched up with a Thornton team whose starting five included four future professionals (Antwaan Randle-El, Tai Streets, Napoleon Harris and Melvin Ely).

Grew up in South Bend area (Granger), live in Indianapolis area (Fishers).

Reactions: dbartn
Grew up in East Chicago, been living in Avon for 20+ years. Went to Bishop Noll in the mid-late 70's. Noll's 77-78 team had Thad Garner (Michigan) and a very good cast. Certainly could have won state in 78, but was upset in the Regional final to a Merrillville Pirates team that had future Purdue FBers Tim Seneff and Mike Jelesky. They did a good job slowing the game down on Noll which was the only why they could have won. Great region teams that year with EC Washington (maybe Drake Morris senior year), EC Roosevelt, Gary Emerson (Wallace Bryant - SF) and Gary Roosevelt (Ron Hedgwood - can't remember what school he went to). I miss those years watching HS basketball and frankly lost interest in the Indiana State tournament once it went Capris Sun's and Fruit Roll-ups.
To add, back in the day I always felt that Region teams did not get the respect in the rankings that the greater Indy teams did, as in my mind's eye, the Region teams were were just as good in many cases. That was until I moved out to the greater Indy area, as actually saw the level of talent and competition here....in all sports.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT