ADVERTISEMENT

If you're from IN, list your hometown here...

Tipton. Hometown of Matt Waddell and Derek Elston. I was long gone from Indiana before either of them came along, but I was in HS when Derek's dad Darrell played. Purdue offered Darrell a football scholarship, but not basketball, so he went to play for the Tarheals and had a cup of coffee with the Pacers.

Not a lot of Electrical Engineering opportunities in Tipton, so I have spent my career so far in the Twin Cities, Rochester, NY, and now Milwaukee. Best thing about Milwaukee, it is only a 3 1/2 hour drive to Purdue, so I can catch many more Boiler football and basketball games, even the mid week ones. Much harder to do so living in Minnie or upstate NY.

EE 1978

Ahhh now you're trying to get me to show my age! 89...Both of us
I did not realize that you were 89 (kidding of course)...I graduated the same actually.

I probably knew more baseball players than basketball at that time (I can't remember who was on those teams, but I am sure that I knew some of them if I heard names...I can't remember if Maurice Scott went to Clay or not, but I knew him pretty well...I remember some old-time guys from Clay, and guys that were younger as well...as far as baseball, I knew Gary Bogunia, Doug Mondovics, Tom Morlan, Brian Knight among others. I knew a lot of guys at LaSalle as well.

I did not realize that you were 89 (kidding of course)...I graduated the same actually.

I probably knew more baseball players than basketball at that time (I can't remember who was on those teams, but I am sure that I knew some of them if I heard names...I can't remember if Maurice Scott went to Clay or not, but I knew him pretty well...I remember some old-time guys from Clay, and guys that were younger as well...as far as baseball, I knew Gary Bogunia, Doug Mondovics, Tom Morlan, Brian Knight among others. I knew a lot of guys at LaSalle as well.
I knew of those guys you mentioned. Boy that takes you back thinking about those guys.

I do go back to SB from time to time as my in-laws are there. When I get sent overseas the wife goes back and stays there .. but she is an ND fan so she can tolerate it much easier than I can :)

I knew of those guys you mentioned. Boy that takes you back thinking about those guys.

I do go back to SB from time to time as my in-laws are there. When I get sent overseas the wife goes back and stays there .. but she is an ND fan so she can tolerate it much easier than I can :)
I can relate to that certainly as well...as I definitely do not tolerate it well...you either love them or hate them, and more so probably living there, and I definitely come down on the hate them side...and with a passion.

I knew Allen Jackson, Neil Miller, Derek White and a few others at LaSalle...Tawana Jackson was a crazy good basketball player (although my wife was named the SB Holiday Tournament MVP over her:)) and Lori Wilson was a good athlete (she actually played on a summer baseball team that I was on at one point).

So a couple of pretty solid Boilers that followed you both...Jaraan Cornell from SB Clay and Brandon McKnight from SB LaSalle.

Reactions: BBG
Fort Wayne

Born in Plymouth - moved to Fort Wayne in 1963 with family. Graduated from Northrop High School.

I lived in the country so no town per se, but 800 in Hamilton where my HS was. Mulberry might be smaller but how many kids in your graduating class? Only 46 for me. I was 3rd in my class, not good enough to be in the top 5%!
I went to Prairie Heights HS played against Hamilton many times. Love the small schools!!

Tipton County (HS no longer exists), taught at Tipton, knew Matt Waddell and the tripper.

I remember a couple of Northside Jr. High guys...Jeff Kollat (sp?) and Travis Day that I played with/against, and I am sure that there are others...those two guys were very good though.

Agree on your other point though for sure.
Was a classmate with Jeff, played ball with Kollat since about 5th grade. He was a great athlete at Central and went to iu as a tailback but didn't get much of a shot and transferred.
Travis Day was dominant as a freshman running back but didn't have his head straight. I don't think he graduated

Not Indiana but small little town, Mayberry North Carolina. Great place grow up , good haircuts and really friendly gas station attendants.

Talking dog may have went national but not sure.

Reactions: rascott107
I was born in the same town as the Coug. But we have different tastes when it comes to college basketball.

Reactions: DG10
I was pretty good friends with Jamaar Johnson (JJ) when he was at Elkhart Central before transferring to Concord (along with Steve Larkin and Maceo Sharp) to build a powerhouse with Kemp.
I remember going to Northside gym and watching players like Delray Brooks, Skiles, Fox, Ernie Jones, and some other great players from northern IN.
The sectional games at Northside were legendary.

I think his name was Micah Sharp (or did Micah have a relative named Maceo?)

Fort Wayne

Born in Plymouth - moved to Fort Wayne in 1963 with family. Graduated from Northrop High School.

You must have been in one of the first graduating classes there. Didn't it open in 1971? I know they won their only boys basketball state championship in '73-'74 with Walter Jordan and Mike Muff leading the way for them.

It's pretty cool to see that quite a few folks on here that are originally from more southern Indiana areas that are Boilermakers fans, alums, and/or students.

Last edited:
Reactions: delarno
I think his name was Micah Sharp (or did Micah have a relative named Maceo?)
No, pretty sure it was Maceo and he transferred from Central to Concord with JJ and Larkin.
I was in school with all those guys at Central before they transferred.

Fort Wayne, and i got guilted into moving back here about 3 years ago. Why aren't we getting together to watch the road games folks??

I guess we could, lol. I think there quite a few other guys living in the Fort on here (PU pit bull, Dryfly88, Boiler Bulldog, I think Schnelk might live in New Haven (which we know is almost like an extension of FW).

Unless I'm at one in person, I actually like to watch the games by myself so that I can't be influenced and distracted by others around me (and so I can hear it), but I can make exceptions. Do you want to host get-togethers for road games we're not likely to attend? You could start a Fort Wayne Purdue Men's Hoops Fans page on Facebook and then start listing those games as Events for others to attend .

No, pretty sure it was Maceo and he transferred from Central to Concord with JJ and Larkin.
I was in school with all those guys at Central before they transferred.

gotcha

I just know that Micah Sharp was on the '89-'90 Concord team (along with future DI players Jamar Johnson and Jeff Massey) that lost to Damon Bailey and Bedford North Lawrence in the state championship game.

Tipton. Hometown of Matt Waddell and Derek Elston. I was long gone from Indiana before either of them came along, but I was in HS when Derek's dad Darrell played. Purdue offered Darrell a football scholarship, but not basketball, so he went to play for the Tarheals and had a cup of coffee with the Pacers.

Not a lot of Electrical Engineering opportunities in Tipton, so I have spent my career so far in the Twin Cities, Rochester, NY, and now Milwaukee. Best thing about Milwaukee, it is only a 3 1/2 hour drive to Purdue, so I can catch many more Boiler football and basketball games, even the mid week ones. Much harder to do so living in Minnie or upstate NY.

EE 1978
Tipton....home of the Tripper.

Reactions: Boiler Wolf
I went to Prairie Heights HS played against Hamilton many times. Love the small schools!!

That's a rough school to attend, as far as being able to compete in athletics. I've driven by there before. It's just in a field near I-69, right? What nearby towns do the students come from: just Fremont and Angola (or people that live by the Lake Hamiltons', Lake James', or Crooked Lakes' up there) or are there others?

Last edited:
Nice. I lived off of Spearsville
Road just north of the Brown county line.
Is Chauncey by chance in reference to a cooperative house?
I know it is the next county over, but I think that Brownstown is a nice place to visit. Yes, Chauncey Coop

But have you seen enough to say "Hey look who's living in a big town"?
Haha. Don't want to be hayseed. There used to be a small golf course in Trafalgar. Uphill driveable first hole and another hole with a 90 degree dogleg left thru the trees. Is it still in business?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT