ADVERTISEMENT

If the Tournament were held today, Purdue is still a #2 seed

While Duke is crazy overrated and getting by essentially on their name (and their Coach), to suggest that Purdue is where it is because they have "underachieved" seems a bit much...but, Purdue never receives the national recognition that it warrants, so, it comes as little surprise to see this here, and, just the committee having them where they are as well.

While Duke is crazy overrated and getting by essentially on their name (and their Coach), to suggest that Purdue is where it is because they have "underachieved" seems a bit much...but, Purdue never receives the national recognition that it warrants, so, it comes as little surprise to see this here, and, just the committee having them where they are as well.
personally, I still see them as a 2.

3 out of 132 published mock brackets have us a 3. A few ones, and the rest 2s.

I can't fault the committee in using the defensive deficiencies/metrics against Purdue - that is one of the objective criteria for seeding purposes. The other things keep the Boilers as a #2 seed for now.

The 2-line in the Midwest wouldn't be a bad landing spot.....Chicago in the Regional games would give a possible crowd edge factor. Bottom line, if Purdue is a #1, #2, or #3 seed, and no matter the Region, they'll have to beat a good team in the second round (assuming they at least get out of the round of 64), and likely two really good to excellent teams to advance out of the Regionals.

Just my own (subjective and Boilerepherine-induced) hunch, but I still think they may need one break in the bracket.....long way to go until then.

Also, geographically it may not be great, but from a pure match-up stand-point, out of all the possible #1-seeds in play.....Purdue/Gonzaga would be interesting...if it got that far......so going out WEST? One never knows. Should be an entertaining tournament as usual......and again........a long way to go until then.

I was encouraged from the last game vis-a-vis longer-range games......let's see how the rest of the regular season plays out......two tough road games and then the Hoosiers in Mackey. Win out, and the Boilers are at a minimum co-champs with Illinois.....drop any of them, and they are likely second at best.

Reactions: DAG10
The thought of Rutgers being about the same as IU is laughable. Not even close in what Rutgers has done this season compared to IU
How they possibly can still be in with the little they have done or accomplished...so help me if I EVER have to hear about Purdue being on the bubble.

EVERY team in the B1G but one has had at least a season with a winning record in conference play since '17 except just one...Indinia...pretty confident that as much as they love to talk about banners that they won't hang one for that distinction.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BSIT
I can't fault the committee in using the defensive deficiencies/metrics against Purdue - that is one of the objective criteria for seeding purposes. The other things keep the Boilers as a #2 seed for now.

The 2-line in the Midwest wouldn't be a bad landing spot.....Chicago in the Regional games would give a possible crowd edge factor. Bottom line, if Purdue is a #1, #2, or #3 seed, and no matter the Region, they'll have to beat a good team in the second round (assuming they at least get out of the round of 64), and likely two really good to excellent teams to advance out of the Regionals.

Just my own (subjective and Boilerepherine-induced) hunch, but I still think they may need one break in the bracket.....long way to go until then.

Also, geographically it may not be great, but from a pure match-up stand-point, out of all the possible #1-seeds in play.....Purdue/Gonzaga would be interesting...if it got that far......so going out WEST? One never knows. Should be an entertaining tournament as usual......and again........a long way to go until then.

I was encouraged from the last game vis-a-vis longer-range games......let's see how the rest of the regular season plays out......two tough road games and then the Hoosiers in Mackey. Win out, and the Boilers are at a minimum co-champs with Illinois.....drop any of them, and they are likely second at best.
I do get it, but, it is always a moving target with respect to the committee...go figure that "defense matters" at a time that Purdue has one of its worst defensive teams. Never mind, I don't think there is anyone on the committee that truly understands KenPom or whatever which makes it more crazy that it is what they are using for evaluation now.

I personally don't care that much, and, less so even if it makes sense who is ahead of them...Purdue did not do itself any favors losing to two teams that it absolutely should not have (Rutgers in December and Indinia), and, had it won those two games, it is a 1-seed. I don't get things like Baylor losing a game last week...losing one of its top players (an alleged criteria for the committee at some point at least in the past, but, to my point, apparently not now)...but still sitting higher than Purdue (and, I am a big Baylor fan admittedly for some personal reasons)...or, Auburn losing twice in the last two weeks and winning 2 games by a bucket against a bad Missouri team and an awful Georgia team, yet, remaining a 1-seed as if those outcomes did not actually happen.

As for where they are assigned...frankly, they have not had great success in Indianapolis (N. Texas...Texas...if they end up there, lets hope the opponent is not from Texas)...some better success in Chicago, but, had some struggles there as well (I still have nightmares of the VCU game).

They will need to catch a break likely as you suggest. I always say around this time of the year that I just want them to be healthy and playing at their best going into the tournament...after that...need a good draw and some good fortune as well. Matchups and some good luck are as important as anything in the NCAA tournament.

I tried to ignore the defensive metrics for a long time, or, talk myself into discounting them...but, hard to do either with a lot of the information and follow up stuff that has been shared by some posters who definitely know their stuff...that, and, just a lifelong of experience as a Purdue fan have me really leery.

I talk at home and with family/friends a lot about needing to more appreciate the season(s)...I feel like I have been able to do that with this team...as enjoyable a team to watch in many ways as any Purdue team, and, a truly great group of guys to follow and root for. This season has gone way too fast, but, I have enjoyed it for sure, and, regardless of what ultimately happens, I will have some great memories of this group and from this season.

I did not think I would see Purdue play in a Rose Bowl...thankfully, they did and I was able to be there and I cherish that (more so in that it was with my Dad)...I was virtually certain that I would never see the Cubs play in a World Series, much less win it, but thankfully they did and I was able to be there and I cherish that as well...at some point before my time comes (and, I have admittedly tempted fate a couple of times), I hope that Purdue advances to a Final Four and plays for a National Championship.

Last edited:
I personally don't care that much, and, less so even if it makes sense who is ahead of them...Purdue did not do itself any favors losing to two teams that it absolutely should not have (Rutgers in December and Indinia), and, had it won those two games, it is a 1-seed. I don't get things like Baylor losing a game last week...losing one of its top players (an alleged criteria for the committee at some point at least in the past, but, to my point, apparently not now)...but still sitting higher than Purdue (and, I am a big Baylor fan admittedly for some personal reasons)...or, Auburn losing twice in the last two weeks and winning 2 games by a bucket against a bad Missouri team and an awful Georgia team, yet, remaining a 1-seed as if those outcomes did not actually happen.
2 different things there. Teams are evaluated based on what team will take the floor in the tournament. That means, one, that losses without a top player can have different considerations. Also, two, the opposite is a player that has played all year but is now hurt can damage a team's seed.

Personally I don't think Baylor deserves a 2 at this juncture.

I do get it, but, it is always a moving target with respect to the committee...go figure that "defense matters" at a time that Purdue has one of its worst defensive teams. Never mind, I don't think there is anyone on the committee that truly understands KenPom or whatever which makes it more crazy that it is what they are using for evaluation now.

As for where they are assigned...frankly, they have not had great success in Indianapolis (N. Texas...Texas...if they end up there, lets hope the opponent is not from Texas)...some better success in Chicago, but, had some struggles there as well (I still have nightmares of the VCU game).

They will need to catch a break likely as you suggest. I always say around this time of the year that I just want them to be healthy and playing at their best going into the tournament...after that...need a good draw and some good fortune as well. Matchups and some good luck are as important as anything in the NCAA tournament.

I tried to ignore the defensive metrics for a long time, or, talk myself into discounting them...but, hard to do either with a lot of the information and follow up stuff that has been shared by some posters who definitely know their stuff...that, and, just a lifelong of experience as a Purdue fan have me really leery.

I talk at home and with family/friends a lot about needing to more appreciate the season(s)...I feel like I have been able to do that with this team...as enjoyable a team to watch in many ways as any Purdue team, and, a truly great group of guys to follow and root for. This season has gone way too fast, but, I have enjoyed it for sure, and, regardless of what ultimately happens, I will have some great memories of this group and from this season.

I did not think I would see Purdue play in a Rose Bowl...thankfully, they did and I was able to be there and I cherish that (more so in that it was with my Dad)...I was virtually certain that I would never see the Cubs play in a World Series, much less win it, but thankfully they did and I was able to be there and I cherish that as well...at some point before my time comes (and, I have admittedly tempted fate a couple of times), I hope that Purdue advances to a Final Four and plays for a National Championship.
Being a Purdue fan along with a Cub fan is a tough combination but like the Cubs, I feel Purdue will win a NC. For the record, I’m a Cardinal fan so I have experienced multiple championships. Even though i lived in Michigan for 21 years, I never was a Lions fan. There are some on this board who are Purdue, Cubs and Lions fans. Can’t think of a more long suffering group of fans that deserve multiple championships

Being a Purdue fan along with a Cub fan is a tough combination but like the Cubs, I feel Purdue will win a NC. For the record, I’m a Cardinal fan so I have experienced multiple championships. Even though i lived in Michigan for 21 years, I never was a Lions fan. There are some on this board who are Purdue, Cubs and Lions fans. Can’t think of a more long suffering group of fans that deserve multiple championships
Cubs AND the Cardinals?!

• Haha
Really tough combination for sure...Bears as well, so, not much to get excited about on that front either.

Can't say that I feel sorry about your being a Cardinals fan...obviously, not one as a Cubs fan, but, great respect for the success that organization has had and sustained...jealous admittedly of the draft and development success.

I hope that it happens for Purdue for sure...I remember the '80 run a little bit, but, I was young and just did not have the knowledge or appreciation as such. Who knew that would be the last time? Some legitimate opportunities since, and, heartbreaking defeats as such (KSU/Detroit...Duke/Knoxville...Wisconsin (when the FF was in Indy)...the Virginia loss in Louisville. I have to believe it will happen at some point, but, never would have imagined that it would not have happened in more than 40 years given some of the quality teams that Purdue has had.

• Love

I tried to ignore the defensive metrics for a long time, or, talk myself intoI discounting them...but, hard to do either with a lot of the information and follow up stuff that has been shared by some posters who definitely know their stuff...that, and, just a lifelong of experience as a Purdue fan have me really leery.

I was 12 when Purdue was last to F4 (1980), I remember askin my dad (during UCLA game) when was last time Purdue was in F4? He said 1969. My response...11 years...thats a lifetime. Little did I know.

Of the Big 10 teams that are "on the bubble", I would prefer that Rutgers and Iowa make the tournament but not Michigan and IU. I really don't think Rutgers and Iowa should be on the bubble.
I am missing something on Iowa admittedly in that they do not impress me at all...how they are ranked or on the bubble is very puzzling to me...they are the prime example for that matter to me of a team that is benefiting somehow from misleading metrics in that they can't actually win games on the floor in large part against true quality teams.

I was stunned that they beat OSU...at OSU nonetheless, but, that was the first quality win that they have had seemingly.

Rutgers deserves to get in and is capable of winning a game or two at least if they are able to.

Indinia literally makes no sense...had they not saved their season by beating Purdue, it would have been as big a disaster as the other recent ones, and, that win is what is keeping them in somehow. I just can't understand how a team that consciously avoids playing anybody non-conference and then in turn loses to essentially everyone that is any good in the conference somehow can still get in. I am fine with Michigan not getting in as well...they don't deserve it either given what they have (and have not) done to date.

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Cleveland Browns and Cleveland Indians.....oh sorry, pardon me.....Guardians.

I was 12 when Purdue was last to F4 (1980), I remember askin my dad (during UCLA game) when was last time Purdue was in F4? He said 1969. My response...11 years...thats a lifetime. Little did I know.
VERY similar story and circumstances...I was 9...watched the games with my Dad...it was when I started to follow other teams and know other players and what not, and, I loved that '80 Purdue team...I too asked the same question and knew it was only 11 years earlier, which at the time, was longer than I had been alive and almost as long as you had, so, in our cases, literally a lifetime...but, no way I would have ever imagined that they would not be in it again while I was alive.

I blame myself often for Purdue failures...I have consciously not gone to games in that I was sure that prior losses were due to my having attended...maybe this is one that I had not given due credit to myself for ruining...my becoming a legitimate fan may have been the trigger for the failure to get back...now I am bummed that I just realized this!

• Haha
Reactions: johnsodaj and BSIT
I was a sophomore in HS in 1980 and thought we would be making routine trips. Boy was I wrong. CMP coaches the type of offense than can get us there. Let’s hope

VERY similar story and circumstances...I was 9...watched the games with my Dad...it was when I started to follow other teams and know other players and what not, and, I loved that '80 Purdue team...I too asked the same question and knew it was only 11 years earlier, which at the time, was longer than I had been alive and almost as long as you had, so, in our cases, literally a lifetime...but, no way I would have ever imagined that they would not be in it again while I was alive.

I blame myself often for Purdue failures...I have consciously not gone to games in that I was sure that prior losses were due to my having attended...maybe this is one that I had not given due credit to myself for ruining...my becoming a legitimate fan may have been the trigger for the failure to get back...now I am bummed that I just realized this!
So you’re the one! Tic

How they possibly can still be in with the little they have done or accomplished...so help me if I EVER have to hear about Purdue being on the bubble.

EVERY team in the B1G but one has had at least a season with a winning record in conference play since '17 except just one...Indinia...pretty confident that as much as they love to talk about banners that they won't hang one for that distinction.

They can hang a banner if they ever have a winning conference record again. They might be able to do that someday.

• Haha
I was a sophomore in HS in 1980 and thought we would be making routine trips. Boy was I wrong. CMP coaches the type of offense than can get us there. Let’s hope
I'm hoping too, I'm not getting any younger. It's just our BBall team this year reminds me of an Oklahoma FBall team.

1980 is considered the first tournament of the modern era because of the following:
1) seeding was done across the board to achieve better competitive balance between the regions.
2) more than one at-large team allowed per conference.
3) more teams invited(still only 48)

Purdue(11-7) and Iowa(10-8) finished 3rd and 4th in the BIG 10 and then the same in the NCAA tournament. Yes, as most of you know, there was a 3rd place game. Unfortunately, in my senior year(1979), Purdue(13-5) was not invited to the tournament even though they were Big 10 champs - 3 way tie. Victims of the 2 team limit per conference.

To quote the great George Costanza…” it’s not you, it’s me”

How about wins a National Championship?

1980 is considered the first tournament of the modern era because of the following:
1) seeding was done across the board to achieve better competitive balance between the regions.
2) more than one at-large team allowed per conference.
3) more teams invited(still only 48)

Purdue(11-7) and Iowa(10-8) finished 3rd and 4th in the BIG 10 and then the same in the NCAA tournament. Yes, as most of you know, there was a 3rd place game. Unfortunately, in my senior year(1979), Purdue(13-5) was not invited to the tournament even though they were Big 10 champs - 3 way tie. Victims of the 2 team limit per conference.

And one of those teams we tied for the B1G championship, who we beat, won the 1979 NCAA championship.

Arnette Hallman hit the shot to beat them.

I totally get it. I was 9 in 1969 and that was the first year I had the patience and somewhat understanding to watch complete games on TV. Mount, Gilliam, Keller..... still my favorite team. Purdue was ranked #1 in football for a while the prior fall. I thought being a Purdue fan was going to be great. LOL

In 1980 I was a student. Had season tickets but lost out in the lottery to get FF tickets. The only guy I knew who got them didn't go to a single basketball game his entire time at Purdue. Boy was I pissed. Purdue was hosting the first 2 rounds that year. I was able to go to those.

If I'm right 1980 was only the third time Purdue was in the tournament. When they opened it up to 64 teams I thought for sure there would be multiple trips to the FF.

I might be jinx now days. I was in Knoxville for the Duke game and in Indy against Texas.

Too many heartbreaking tournament games to count.

I'm a Cardinal fan from childhood, but have lived in the Chicago area for over 30 years. While I like to make fun of my Cub fan friends, boy can I relate. I was quite happy for them in 2016 and none of them became obnoxious about it. I think they were all in shock that it actually happened.

I saw a bracket today with purdue as the #2 seed in the midwest and playing their first two games at indy. Auburn was #1 and texas tech was #3. it looked like an awesome path to the final 4. as i look at the dance, i believe it's more important to get the right match-ups and locations rather than worrying about getting a #1 seed. #1 seeds usually get upset.

I saw a bracket today with purdue as the #2 seed in the midwest and playing their first two games at indy. Auburn was #1 and texas tech was #3. it looked like an awesome path to the final 4. as i look at the dance, i believe it's more important to get the right match-ups and locations rather than worrying about getting a #1 seed. #1 seeds usually get upset.

By definition, #1 seeds do almost always get upset.

• Haha
Reactions: Inspector100
I totally get it. I was 9 in 1969 and that was the first year I had the patience and somewhat understanding to watch complete games on TV. Mount, Gilliam, Keller..... still my favorite team. Purdue was ranked #1 in football for a while the prior fall. I thought being a Purdue fan was going to be great. LOL

In 1980 I was a student. Had season tickets but lost out in the lottery to get FF tickets. The only guy I knew who got them didn't go to a single basketball game his entire time at Purdue. Boy was I pissed. Purdue was hosting the first 2 rounds that year. I was able to go to those.

If I'm right 1980 was only the third time Purdue was in the tournament. When they opened it up to 64 teams I thought for sure there would be multiple trips to the FF.

I might be jinx now days. I was in Knoxville for the Duke game and in Indy against Texas.

Too many heartbreaking tournament games to count.

I'm a Cardinal fan from childhood, but have lived in the Chicago area for over 30 years. While I like to make fun of my Cub fan friends, boy can I relate. I was quite happy for them in 2016 and none of them became obnoxious about it. I think they were all in shock that it actually happened.
Sadly, I have to admit to having been at both of those games as well.

I was not at the Virginia game, however, so, not my/our fault there...nor in Pontiac.

Shock indeed with respect to the Cubs...frankly, I think I am still in shock about it.

And one of those teams we tied for the B1G championship, who we beat, won the 1979 NCAA championship.

Arnette Hallman hit the shot to beat them.
Yes. And that game was played in the middle of one of the biggest snowstorms of Chicago/ northwest Indiana/midwest history. The game was played because Mich. State had made it into town before the worst of it had hit. Because many of the season ticket holders from surrounding towns in Indiana could not make it to the game, students and townspeople who did not have tickets were allowed in to fill Mackey. One of the top 10 most memorable Purdue bball games that I have attended.

Sadly, I have to admit to having been at both of those games as well.

I was not at the Virginia game, however, so, not my/our fault there...nor in Pontiac.

Shock indeed with respect to the Cubs...frankly, I think I am still in shock about it.

I had the Boilerepherine Trifecta:

88' Silverdome
'90 Hoosier Dome
'95 UT Irwin Center

Unfortunately, I did not play the parlay and "retired" as a spectator except for the '10 Reliant Center. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT