ADVERTISEMENT

Awesome Edey article, talking about his draft potential.

I’m all for Zach and I believe he’s improved and we haven’t come close to his ceiling yet, but was a bit disappointed in this article as it didn’t point out any evidence of how he’s gotten better or what makes him draft worthy. Again, I’m all in 100% for him be drafted but the article didn’t provide much…sorry to complain haha. I was just hoping for more!

I’m all for Zach and I believe he’s improved and we haven’t come close to his ceiling yet, but was a bit disappointed in this article as it didn’t point out any evidence of how he’s gotten better or what makes him draft worthy. Again, I’m all in 100% for him be drafted but the article didn’t provide much…sorry to complain haha. I was just hoping for more!
Feel the exact same!

Edey's NBA skepticism doesn't come from offense, it comes from defense.

We talk about the player that gives him the most trouble are the 5s that can bring him out to the perimeter.

Well that's most NBA 5s these days.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
The last 2 years, Edey has played in 58 games, with a FG% at 50%+ for 50/58 games. The 8 that were <50%?

Milwaukee (blowout)
Minnesota (blowout)
Illinois (Kofi?)
Indiana
Ohio St (comfortable win)

Indiana
Michigan (blowout)
Indiana

what’s my point? I’m questioning if Zach can be consistently productive against an athletic big or playing pick and role / switching defense in the NBA. He might have to slim down a bit more.

I think with the right coach/scheme he’ll be successful. Hoping that happens.

One final thought. 4 home games left in Mackey. I hope Purdue has one heck of a great senior day for him (and others). It’s been awesome to watch him these last 3 years help take Purdue’s program to new and sustained heights. I hope he breaks all the records he can along the way and gets a non stop, curtain call type, standing O that last time he subs out at Mackey… at least that’s what he’ll be getting from me.

It was the IU of Zach Edey articles.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Last edited:
Lots of projected drafts, most don't have Edey anywhere but 2nd round.

CBS sports has have him round 1 recently. So at least there are some positives out there for him.

Here is the latest
I’ve seen quite a few have him in the 20-30s. I’m being told it’s such a a weak draft class that he would be able to her drafted in the first. He’s raw still and has been better exponentially every year and hasn’t hit his ceiling yet. The fact he’s only been playing 7 years benefits him and has that type of stroke and conditioning and drive for a 7’4 dude…he will get a shot and should be late first round.

Edey's NBA skepticism doesn't come from offense, it comes from defense.

We talk about the player that gives him the most trouble are the 5s that can bring him out to the perimeter.

Well that's most NBA 5s these days.
They can't stop him either.
That plays in the nba.
That mostly IS the nba these days.
What's your conversion rate?
Nobody going to be higher than Zach.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldboiler52
They can't stop him either.
That plays in the nba.
That mostly IS the nba these days.
What's your conversion rate?
Nobody going to be higher than Zach.
I mean I think the problem is going to be NBA teams aren't likely to adjust against the grain of how they play offense to go back to old school back to the basket dump it down offense.

Doesn't mean he won't be drafted. And doesn't mean he can't see playing time. I'm going to guess it will be situational though.

It's not his fault and it's not a lack of talent on his part, it's just a schematic thing. 10 years or more ago and he's a top 3 pick and guaranteed starter.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Zach can thank Steph Curry for his draft situation. In the NBA, the best shots are, in order:

1. Corner 3
2. any other 3
3. Layup/dunk
4. uncontested 2
5. contested 2

Teams are trying to hoist 40+ shots from 3/game. So, that's where the premium is. Zach might be able to get some minutes as a rim protector/rebounder, but he would still have to be able to guard a big who can take him off the dribble and who can knock down 3s. Transport Zach to the Bird/Magic/Jordan era, and he'd have been the first pick in the draft. Born at the wrong time, unfortunately, for a big-time NBA career.

Last edited:
Zach can thank Seth Curry for this draft situation. In the NBA, the best shots are, in this order:

1. Corner 3
2. any other 3
3. Layup/dunk
4. uncontested 2
5. contested 2

Teams are trying to hoist 40+ shots from 3/game. So, that's where the premium is. Zach might be able to get some minutes as a rim protector/rebounder, but he would still have to be able to guard a big who can take him off the dribble and who can knock down 3s. Transport Zach to the Bird/Magic/Jordan era, and he'd have been the first pick in the draft. Born at the wrong time, unfortunately, for a big-time NBA career.
this situation kinda reminds me when Tebow was a Heisman winning QB, and people were saying his skills don't fit the Pro's

I believe that article was written before Edey made that 3 point shot. I can now predict with his new arsenal, he will be a top 5 lottery pick.

I mean I think the problem is going to be NBA teams aren't likely to adjust against the grain of how they play offense to go back to old school back to the basket dump it down offense.

Doesn't mean he won't be drafted. And doesn't mean he can't see playing time. I'm going to guess it will be situational though.

It's not his fault and it's not a lack of talent on his part, it's just a schematic thing. 10 years or more ago and he's a top 3 pick and guaranteed starter.
He’s pretty good in pick and roll already.
The thing about Zach is that nobody knows where his ceiling is because he just keeps getting better each season.

He’s pretty good in pick and roll already.
The thing about Zach is that nobody knows where his ceiling is because he just keeps getting better each season.
Pretty good doesn't cut it in the NBA.

Zach can thank Seth Curry for this draft situation. In the NBA, the best shots are, in this order:

1. Corner 3
2. any other 3
3. Layup/dunk
4. uncontested 2
5. contested 2

Seth or Steph?

So can he not get better?
He'd need to get a lot quicker which probably means losing a lot of weight. Which cuts against his advantage on offense. Again, it's not about his talent, or effort, or anything like that. It's about the way the NBA game is played. Makes it hard for a lot of back to the basket players to stick. Harder still if they have to cover 6-11 and taller centers who move like 6-6 guards.

Joel Embiid, doesn't move well but great touch and skills. Seems to be considered pretty good and is a big minute guy.
hmmmmmmmm
They dont' have to game to dump the ball in the post, he's just another guy that can score when he gets the ball.
Same as everyone else on the floor.
He's a 1st round pick and he'll play.
How well/effective remains to be seen, but my confidence is high that he's a rotation piece for the right team that recognizes his skill set and plans to use it.

Joel Embiid, doesn't move well but great touch and skills. Seems to be considered pretty good and is a big minute guy.
hmmmmmmmm
They dont' have to game to dump the ball in the post, he's just another guy that can score when he gets the ball.
How well/effective remains to be seen, but my confidence is high that he's a rotation piece for the right team that recognizes his skill set and plans to use it.
I mean there's a lot of caveats there.
Again, since folks really seem to take the most negative interpretation of what I say, I didn't say he can't possibly play in the NBA or would've drafted. I am saying he's got a pretty tough road to sticking.

to play devil's advocate, he can get better but so will be the competition, in the BIG10 there are many teams that don't have any post prescense
A kid that’s in his 7th year of playing organized basketball with his shooting form, height and conditioning, and how he has shown exponential growth in skill each year is pretty intriguing. Most kids who are in their 7th year of ball, are 12-13 years old, MAYBE 14-15. Kel’El Ware and Malik Reneau’s father…err I mean Zach, didn’t start playing until he was at 14. His ceiling has not been hit. Imagine what he could do with NBA team resources.

But you could be right and no one gives him a chance.

A kid that’s in his 7th year of playing organized basketball with his shooting form, height and conditioning, and how he has shown exponential growth in skill each year is pretty intriguing. Most kids who are in their 7th year of ball, are 12-13 years old, MAYBE 14-15. Kel’El Ware and Malik Reneau’s father…err I mean Zach, didn’t start playing until he was at 14. His ceiling has not been hit. Imagine what he could do with NBA team resources.

But you could be right and no one gives him a chance.
he'll get a chance never said he wouldn't

I mean there's a lot of caveats there.
Again, since folks really seem to take the most negative interpretation of what I say, I didn't say he can't possibly play in the NBA or would've drafted. I am saying he's got a pretty tough road to sticking.

I'm saying he doesn't.

I'm saying he doesn't.
I mean most mock draft sites have him mid second round. Doesn't mean that's where he's drafted, only takes one team to go against the grain.

So if he makes it first round guaranteed contract, he will by definition stick around a couple of years minimum.

Second round however will require him getting picked up by the right team willing to be patient with him. Or releasing him and another team picking him up as a FA.

His issue isn't talent or effort or skill, it's a league that is made up of big men who spend as much time on the perimeter as in the post. Also a league not really known for patient development.

I mean most mock draft sites have him mid second round. Doesn't mean that's where he's drafted, only takes one team to go against the grain.

So if he makes it first round guaranteed contract, he will by definition stick around a couple of years minimum.

Second round however will require him getting picked up by the right team willing to be patient with him. Or releasing him and another team picking him up as a FA.

His issue isn't talent or effort or skill, it's a league that is made up of big men who spend as much time on the perimeter as in the post. Also a league not really known for patient development.
I don’t know I’ve seen a lot in the first round too. It’s really all over the place. ESPN has him as 13tg best player. Other mocks have him in 40s. Others have him in late 20s. 🤷‍♂️

I don’t know I’ve seen a lot in the first round too. It’s really all over the place. ESPN has him as 13tg best player. Other mocks have him in 40s. Others have him in late 20s. 🤷‍♂️
Well at the end of the day, all it takes is one team.

hmmmmmmmm
Huh.
Edey and Embid in the same atmosphere ?
You must not know the NBA at all..
Embid has a bag for a 7 ft'er
Edey is nothing more than. I have to be within 6 ft in the post.
And he shoots f.t. well..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT