ADVERTISEMENT

Edey shows how recruiting services can get it wrong

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Edey is showing that recruiting services don't always get it right and get it wrong a lot of the time. We can sometimes get hung up on stars, but recruiting services are not an exact science.

Rondale was ranked the 100th best WR in his recruiting class. You show me other 99 WRs better than Rondale in that class. Rivals football has said that this might be one of their worst picks ever in rankings.

Edey was a 3 star non 150 for Rivals. He only had 5 offers. In the 247Sports composite, which includes all rating services, he was ranked a 3 star 429 nationally and the 74th best center in last year's class. 74th best center, wow.

It just shows that Painter is a good evaluator of talent. Boiler Up!

I think two things are at play here. First, the recruiting services absolutely got it wrong. As you mentioned, there is no way there are 73 better centers than Edey in this class. The second thing that may get overlooked is the job Painter and staff did in developing him so quickly. The recruiting services should have had Edey as a top 40 center in his class. Painter has turned him into a top 20 center in his class already.

I think two things are at play here. First, the recruiting services absolutely got it wrong. As you mentioned, there is no way there are 73 better centers than Edey in this class. The second thing that may get overlooked is the job Painter and staff did in developing him so quickly. The recruiting services should have had Edey as a top 40 center in his class. Painter has turned him into a top 20 center in his class already.
A kid that big, with some hands and athleticism, should be top 100.

Edey is showing that recruiting services don't always get it right and get it wrong a lot of the time. We can sometimes get hung up on stars, but recruiting services are not an exact science.

Rondale was ranked the 100th best WR in his recruiting class. You show me other 99 WRs better than Rondale in that class. Rivals football has said that this might be one of their worst picks ever in rankings.

Edey was a 3 star non 150 for Rivals. He only had 5 offers. In the 247Sports composite, which includes all rating services, he was ranked a 3 star 429 nationally and the 74th best center in last year's class. 74th best center, wow.

There will always be outliers, but he was obviously severely underrated/recruited. I think he reclassified a year up, which also limited exposure for offers from other coaches.

Clemson had 3 top 100ish big guys in the 2020 class and you barely noticed them last night. One of them was Edey's teammate at IMG, which proves they probably didn't know how to use him.

It will be interesting to follow the trajectory of Dickinson at Michigan and Edey since their two scholarships were linked. Kind of similar to No Sauce Walker at Ohio State backing out and that scholly leading to signing Carsen.

yes, Edey has enormous potential and seems to be such a great fit for Purdue and he for us.

First off, he has so many characteristics you can't coach. Obviously, his height and size, but his ceiling is so high with his reaction times, mobility and soft hands. He gets his hands on a lot of rebounds and his rebounding 'zone' is much larger than say Haas. He catches passes very well too. Seems that he is an easy big to post feed cause he can easily adjust to pass. I was impressed a few times with his reaction time and mobility. His offensive rebound off of the free throw where he had to extend his reach to get his hand on the ball, then catch the tip to put it right back in ... and it all started on the opposite side in which he lined up, so he's able to move and anticipate pretty well.

He already has a nice touch around the rim and a good looking free throw (possible to develop a reliable outside jumper down the road? I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but I say yes). Being so new to basketball, he has a lot of good instincts already and seems that he wants to be coached and he picks things up quickly.

Great eye again by Painter.

Last edited:
Painter said he was surprisingly developed when he got on campus. I do agree under CMP he will only get better. He's playing like a 4* and I'll stick to that.
Wrong—he’s playing like a five star.

7’4”, coordinated,, and plays angry.
I promise that if one of the one and done factories like Duke or Uk had him they’d be thrilled.

He’s what u guys we’re hoping Haas would turn into but never did.

yes, Edey has enormous potential and seems to be such a great fit for Purdue and he for us.

First off, he has so many intangibles you can't coach. Obviously, his height and size, but his ceiling is so high with his reaction times, mobility and soft hands. He gets his hands on a lot of rebounds and his rebounding 'zone' is much larger than say Haas. He catches passes very well too. Seems that he is an easy big to post feed cause he can easily adjust to pass. I was impressed a few times with his reaction time and mobility. His offensive rebound off of the free throw where he had to extend his reach to get his hand on the ball, then catch the tip to put it right back in ... and it all started on the opposite side in which he lined up, so he's able to move and anticipate pretty well.

He already has a nice touch around the rim and a good looking free throw (possible to develop a reliable outside jumper down the road? I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but I say yes). Being so new to basketball, he has a lot of good instincts already and seems that he wants to be coached and he picks things up quickly.

I agree, but it also seems like playing basketball for such a short time (I've heard just a couple of years) contributed to him being overlooked.

That said, it's hard to overlook someone that is 7'3" (or 7'4").

Finally, I think you have to give props to CMP but also to Brandon Brantley!

I promise that if one of the one and done factories like Duke or Uk had him they’d be thrilled.

I'm glad as an IU you see he's good. He's a game changer for sure, but most 5* can take over a game. I wouldn't put him in that category yet.

Recruiting isn’t an exact science and yeh, sometimes the recruiting services miss, but you’re not going to build a program on the hopes that lower star recruited guys play above their rating. It happens, but highly rated guys are going to perform to their level much more often than guys highly over exceed.
Painter’s on a recruiting roll right now.

First off, he has so many intangibles you can't coach. Obviously, his height and size, but his ceiling is so high with his reaction times, mobility and soft hands. He gets his hands on a lot of rebounds and his rebounding 'zone' is much larger than say Haas. He catches passes very well too. Seems that he is an easy big to post feed cause he can easily adjust to pass. I was impressed a few times with his reaction time and mobility. His offensive rebound off of the free throw where he had to extend his reach to get his hand on the ball, then catch the tip to put it right back in ... and it all started on the opposite side in which he lined up, so he's able to move and anticipate pretty well.

Agree with the essence of the post, but I think you are confusing intangibles with tangibles.

Reactions: klmLB

That is what I would add. When we got AJ, Haas, and Haarms, they lacked the aggression their first couple of years. I am guessing that is why Eady was rated low.. he might be average on a lot of basketball skills, but seems to be very aggressive, which doesn't always show up in evaluations for star rankings. I am guessing this would be a benefit of a hockey background, and is showing up in games. I am guessing no one would of guessed he would be our leading scorer after 2 games.

Rankings for recruits are about production and upside. Edey was a little known commodity. He had very little production playing behind a 5* guy on a loaded team not interested in feeding the post that much. I think the 3* was probably fair. I think he would have been a 4* guy this year if he chose not to reclassify.

System fit is beneficial to Edey. Coaches at Purdue know how to use/coach up a guy like this. He is also playing with a ton of confidence. Good for him.

His performance early will definitely be interesting to see, especially since Tre has been struggling. I hope this doesn't get into Tres head, and if it does, it'll be interesting to see how Tre handles this adversity.

Reactions: jtanoos1
That is what I would add. When we got AJ, Haas, and Haarms, they lacked the aggression their first couple of years. I am guessing that is why Eady was rated low.. he might be average on a lot of basketball skills, but seems to be very aggressive, which doesn't always show up in evaluations for star rankings. I am guessing this would be a benefit of a hockey background, and is showing up in games. I am guessing no one would of guessed he would be our leading scorer after 2 games.
Good point. Not a ton of passive hockey players.

First off, he has so many characteristics you can't coach. Obviously, his height and size, but his ceiling is so high with his reaction times, mobility and soft hands. He gets his hands on a lot of rebounds and his rebounding 'zone' is much larger than say Haas. He catches passes very well too. Seems that he is an easy big to post feed cause he can easily adjust to pass. I was impressed a few times with his reaction time and mobility. His offensive rebound off of the free throw where he had to extend his reach to get his hand on the ball, then catch the tip to put it right back in ... and it all started on the opposite side in which he lined up, so he's able to move and anticipate pretty well.

+1

When I saw his videos, etc. I knew that he could be a force. Of course, I have always had alot of faith in CMP and his recruiting prowess. With that size, at times, he will be virtually unstoppable. We knew that the kid had a solid work ethic too . So he will only get better.
I saw the same things before Carson Edwards got here too.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DAG10
There will always be outliers, but he was obviously severely underrated/recruited. I think he reclassified a year up, which also limited exposure for offers from other coaches.

Clemson had 3 top 100ish big guys in the 2020 class and you barely noticed them last night. One of them was Edey's teammate at IMG, which proves they probably didn't know how to use him.

It will be interesting to follow the trajectory of Dickinson at Michigan and Edey since their two scholarships were linked. Kind of similar to No Sauce Walker at Ohio State backing out and that scholly leading to signing Carsen.
It was not hard to see what Painter saw in Dickinson in watching his first game at Michigan the other night...different player than Edey, but, a very good player and would have been a perfect fit/nice get from a size/skills standpoint for Purdue.

Hard to know just how good he really is, never mind how good he may ultimately be, but, certainly cannot argue with the fact that he was underrated/overlooked, and, is a nice fit at/for Purdue.

Painter is excellent with respect to identifying and evaluating talent...he has missed on a couple of guys, but, he has hit on far more, and, he has in a number of cases been the first to offer someone long before they blew up per se.

Edey is used to tracking smaller and faster movement of the puck/baseball in real time.
That kinda explains the quick reflexes on rebounds and passes.
Can't wait to see Edey's and Big Cat's dominance with good feeds from the full lineup of guards.

Haas had what, 15 ppm as a frosh? That was a pleasant surprise for us back then.

Boiler Up!!

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Competition on a team is never a bad thing...

I definitely agree. But truth of the matter, Some people are not mentally tough enough to handle such pressure and adversity, especially these current generations. Purdue is definitely breed on hard work and effort, but it's 2020 we're talking about. Hell, we just had a nation possibly elect Biden 😳. It took a few civil war veteran's, but ya never know.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Call me no one in a post about who would be our leading scorer I picked Zach .

Reactions: mathboy and Spinn
Edey is used to tracking smaller and faster movement of the puck/baseball in real time.
That kinda explains the quick reflexes on rebounds and passes.
Can't wait to see Edey's and Big Cat's dominance with good feeds from the full lineup of guards.

Haas had what, 15 ppm as a frosh? That was a pleasant surprise for us back then.

Boiler Up!!

when was the last time Edey laced em up on the ice? I'm sure playing hockey and baseball helped his hand/eye coordination.
He's a much better athlete than Haas. Quicker off his feet and better ability to finish. Haas was just a giant human who bulled his way around the bucket and still a little bit of a stiff.

Here is some of what I know . His parents spent a ton of money on him IMG is not cheap . They hired a personal trainer who worked with him on post moves and basic's . Their son had a dream and they made sacrifices to make that dream come true . IMG had no clue how to use him either that or they didn't care . He would sprint down the court establish post position only to watch another player throw up a 25 foot contested shot . I seen it time after time . The trainer taught him right just not for IMG . I picked Zach for the same reason Painter did you could see what he could do if he wasn't at IMG . We are B1G man U for a reason ! There has been no Painter/Brantley miracle here . Zach has worked endlessly to get where he is . I know the popular thing is to say Painter in two months turned Zach into a five star but it isn't true . Painter has and will make Zach better but there is no substitute for hard work . Zach has earned his way trust me and his parents have backed him up that is the only way to get where he is . It may not be as popular to say hard work pays off . But make no mistake about Zach has put in the work !

Some people never learn.

Over the past year or so this forum had at least one thread, in which people were really intrigued (excited?) about what they were seeing in the Zach Edey videos of him playing and working out.

At that same time there were (seemingly) a LOT of people downplaying his abilities and the impact he would have, and mocking(?) any fans expressing optimism about what they were seeing.

Some people never learn.

I will step up and say I was one of the commenters that felt Edey had a long way to go. This was based off of a few clips I had seen of him. I don't think I said he was a bust, just not ready. It appears that I was wrong and I don't mind that fact one bit. Continued progress in his development and we could have a monster on our hands, our monster!

I will step up and say I was one of the commenters that felt Edey had a long way to go. This was based off of a few clips I had seen of him. I don't think I said he was a bust, just not ready. It appears that I was wrong and I don't mind that fact one bit. Continued progress in his development and we could have a monster on our hands, our monster!

I was in a similar mindset. I thought he’d give us 10 minutes a game and be just reasonable enough to not to be an embarrassment. What a pleasant surprise!

Teams will find ways to attack him. He is now a centerpiece of the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT