ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think a player can stay a year too long

TwinDegrees2

All-American
Aug 8, 2009
North Central Indiana
Would Ivey benefit by staying another year? I know a lot of folks think he's a first rounder, but his play the last third of the season hasn't been what is should be.

Would TJD have been a higher pick had he gone pro last year instead of listening to Woody?

Should Edey go this year if there is an indication he will be a second round pick, or does he wait?

I've seen several players that have gone too soon and some that should have gone that didn't.

Thoughts?

What’s too soon? If Ivey goes too soon and makes 3 or 4 million before washing out is that too soon? No guaranteed that an added year would help.

Would Ivey benefit by staying another year? I know a lot of folks think he's a first rounder, but his play the last third of the season hasn't been what is should be.

Would TJD have been a higher pick had he gone pro last year instead of listening to Woody?

Should Edey go this year if there is an indication he will be a second round pick, or does he wait?

I've seen several players that have gone too soon and some that should have gone that didn't.

Thoughts?
If you get injured, without a doubt!

I think Edey stays and should for at least another year, if not two. If he wants to be a viable NBA prospect, he needs to expand his game. I think Ivey will go, but he may have slipped a few spots with his play since he seemed to peak in the Illinois game. Probably still a top 10 pick.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I keep reading and hearing this about Edey leaving for the draft. Anyone got a recent link to a 2022 nba mock draft showing Edey comfortably getting selected, ie half mid-2nd round and higher?

Thoughts?
I think Edey can be a very dominant college basketball player. NBA? Not sure there is a place for him in todays NBA.

We are kidding ourselves if we believe what we saw this year is considered dominant. Dominant would have their way with a roster like Saint Peters. I know I will get slammed for this but it is not intended to slam Edey. He currently lacks the basketball skills to be dominant in college or to have impact in the NBA. Dribbling? Not yet. Passing? Not yet. Shooting? Not yet. Footwork? Not yet. Defense? Not yet.

He’s just too new at the game to have those skills needed.

Thoughts?
--Ivey should go now as the draft is weaker compared to past years, and he is an exceptional talent. He wont last past pick 5. Decision making will improve.
--TJD has only improved his draft status under Woodson. Many NBA teams would love a guy like him to help their second unit with rebounding and defense. Great athleticism/quickness for his size. Had a great BT tourney. He might need to just do what he does well, and not worry about extending his range. Being left handed helps.
--Not sure where Edey will go in draft or maybe play overseas a year or two. His mobility is the big question mark, and I would worry about injuries. Has to be tough on his knees/feet being how big he is. Probably tired of being beat on in Big Ten games and no matter how big you are, eventually it will take a toll on his body.

Thoughts?
Love seeing these low to no iq posts. Are you really this delusional to think Ivey should come back? I imagine he wants to get that boiler choke stink off his brand asap.

As long as Matt Keady is at Purdue the mediocrity and massive choke jobs will continue. Life is grand! Have fun with Pork Chop. He probably should hit the gym this summer. His chins are coming back.

There has been numerous cases of guys having their draft position hurt by coming back another year, also guys have been hurt by throwing their name out to soon. That's why it's important to go through evals and talk with people who know and ignore your friends/hanger ons.

TJD has never shown in mocks as anything other than a fringe second rounder.

One issue with the NBA draft, they are all about potential, the draft seems to punish guys for staying to long because then you become more known quantity and you lose that illusion of the potential could be. But if you are sure fire first rounder, especially lottery, you have to jump because every year you stay, you are more likely to slide down the board and not up because you become more of a known quantity.

Reactions: DAG10 and Zaphod_B
There has been numerous cases of guys having their draft position hurt by coming back another year, also guys have been hurt by throwing their name out to soon. That's why it's important to go through evals and talk with people who know and ignore your friends/hanger ons.

TJD has never shown in mocks as anything other than a fringe second rounder.

One issue with the NBA draft, they are all about potential, the draft seems to punish guys for staying to long because then you become more known quantity and you lose that illusion of the potential could be. But if you are sure fire first rounder, especially lottery, you have to jump because every year you stay, you are more likely to slide down the board and not up because you become more of a known quantity.
I always think of Josh McRoberts when this topic comes up. Still has a nice NBA career but definitely cost himself some money.

I always think of Josh McRoberts when this topic comes up. Still has a nice NBA career but definitely cost himself some money.
I knew someone would come up with some names, as nothing was coming to my head. I don't really follow the NBA much, but definitely know there are plenty of cases of guys that slid from staying a year to long, though most seem to error the other way of leaving to early. That's the reason one list is longer than the other as guys are in a hurry to get paid.

Edey will have to show he can hit a ten to twelve foot shot facing the basket to make the NBA or at least stick in the league. He looks like he could do it, but needs to show in games. Fact is, only one Painter recruit stuck in the league. Hummel might have if he had not been damaged by two ACL’s.

Brian said in one of his last reports that Edey stays and shoots after practice and is very good from the 3 point line. If he can actually show that he can consistently hit a 15 foot shot even, then his potential raises greatly.

Love seeing these low to no iq posts. Are you really this delusional to think Ivey should come back? I imagine he wants to get that boiler choke stink off his brand asap.

As long as Matt Keady is at Purdue the mediocrity and massive choke jobs will continue. Life is grand! Have fun with Pork Chop. He probably should hit the gym this summer. His chins are coming back.
An expert no doubt on low iq, I will grant you that...

Even at his worse, which was arguably Friday night, Painter has forgotten more about basketball than you could ever dream to know.

I only care about one thing with respect to Indinia basketball and the delusional myopic throng that you are a part of...that Purdue continues to dominate the entirely irrelevant and awful program there down South...and, no reason at all to doubt, much less believe, that THAT is exactly will not continue.

Brian said in one of his last reports that Edey stays and shoots after practice and is very good from the 3 point line. If he can actually show that he can consistently hit a 15 foot shot even, then his potential raises greatly.
"Very good" being what? I mean, there is a notion that Ivey was good/very good, and, he simply was not. Not saying that Edey can't make some shots from there, but, given his struggles from the FT line (which, ironically, is 15-feet away), I am hard pressed to see him just knocking down 3's.

I would think he can/will develop a bit of a shot, but, it is not what he needs for the college game certainly.

I'd say Johnny Juzang stayed a year too long at UCLA. He had a fantastic tournament last year and was heavily talked about. I haven't really heard much at all about him this year. I'm guessing that cost him some spots in the draft.

I am surprised that Ivey hasn’t posted a decision yet. Does that mean there is something to consider? Honestly, he’s going to be a top 10 pick. He should go. I’d gladly have him back if he wants to come back and play another year. We would be top 5 preseason for sure.

I am surprised that Ivey hasn’t posted a decision yet. Does that mean there is something to consider? Honestly, he’s going to be a top 10 pick. He should go. I’d gladly have him back if he wants to come back and play another year. We would be top 5 preseason for sure.
While unlikely, that we awesome!

Who did you have spell IQ for you? We all know you didn't do that.

Reactions: Crayfish57
It's hard to tell, who was the guy selected before Jason Tatum that the Celts traded down, got picks and still got Tatum? Right now if Williams comes back and Tatum and Brown are healthy the Celtics are rolling . The draft is a crapshoot. 76ers traded the guy hasnt done much and Tatum is an MVP candidate

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
It's hard to tell, who was the guy selected before Jason Tatum that the Celts traded down, got picks and still got Tatum? Right now if Williams comes back and Tatum and Brown are healthy the Celtics are rolling . The draft is a crapshoot. 76ers traded the guy hasnt done much and Tatum is an MVP candidate

Markelle Fultz with the 76'ers. Yeah - he didn't pan out for Philadelphia, putting it mildly.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Edey needs more time. Look at the majority of bigs in the NBA; most are way ahead of Edey in athletism sp? and ball control. I am not saying he won't have it, but at the moment he needs more development.
From what I have heard, Berg is quite athletic, so another year of being pushed will be a good thing. Too soon for Edey.
Ivey would probably do better in an NBA style where defense has almost no place.

I think he should stay another year. Get some big endorsement deals that way he will stay have some fat checks coming in. Not going to happen though.

I think he should stay another year. Get some big endorsement deals that way he will stay have some fat checks coming in. Not going to happen though.
Thing with him like TJD from IU , neither one is teetering on the edge of poverty , family living under a bridge etc.

Ivey will get bigger endorsement deals if he leaves. He’ll be a shoe company’s dream.

"Very good" being what? I mean, there is a notion that Ivey was good/very good, and, he simply was not. Not saying that Edey can't make some shots from there, but, given his struggles from the FT line (which, ironically, is 15-feet away), I am hard pressed to see him just knocking down 3's.

I would think he can/will develop a bit of a shot, but, it is not what he needs for the college game certainly.
He didn't elaborate, and I wasn't there.

The point is at 7'4" if he has a decent touch from 3, then he should be able to hit some 12-15' shots consistently. IF he can do that next year, it makes defending him and our team much tougher. I wasn't suggesting he was going to be shooting 3's next year. We just need him to draw his man out from the basket some times.

I'd say Johnny Juzang stayed a year too long at UCLA. He had a fantastic tournament last year and was heavily talked about. I haven't really heard much at all about him this year. I'm guessing that cost him some spots in the draft.
Juzang did declare for 2021 draft. Pulled out after going thru the evaluation process. Was prob looking at mid-second round.

The point is at 7'4" if he has a decent touch from 3, then he should be able to hit some 12-15' shots consistently. IF he can do that next year, it makes defending him and our team much tougher. I wasn't suggesting he was going to be shooting 3's next year. We just need him to draw his man out from the basket some times.
Get it, I guess, but...just not seeing it.

He may have a decent touch...he has a "decent" touch from the line, but, he is not a guy that is going to consistently hit shots (heck, he should not consistently take shots) from anywhere off of the block, and, the last thing Purdue needs is the 7'4" behemoth launching 3s with any regularity...opponents will gladly welcome that opposed to him just dominating them on the block.

I can get on board with knocking an occasional shot down from 12-15' as you touched on, and, he would help himself AND Purdue if he could do that, but, again...in college basketball at least...99% of his shots should come from within 2' of the bucket, and, as he continues to get even stronger, it is what should happen (as, he is at times now pushed too far off of the block at times).

Juzang did declare for 2021 draft. Pulled out after going thru the evaluation process. Was prob looking at mid-second round.
He is not looking better likely this year...and, he was as hot a commodity as there was last year coming off of their run. Tough call in his case.

I think that is exactly what you will see from Edey next year, adding some range to at least be a threat similar to Hunter Dickinson. He want through the eval last year and came back this year showing off some three point range, obviously the feedback was clear, you've got to be able to shoot from deep to make it at the next level. And I expect Edey has been or will be told the same and sure Painter and the staff are also aware of that.

So I would not be surprised to see the Edey with the green light from behind the arch next year if he's left open out there and would think it would be used as a knock against the staff if that isn't the case. Big men have to develop range now a days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT