ADVERTISEMENT

Crossroads Classic - Post-Game press conference

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
A few interesting points from CMP and team (Jaden Ivey, Zach Edey, and Isaiah Thompson), including more on Trevion Williams and Zach Edey switching up for starting and the fate of the Crossroads, which Matt Painter can't understand why it's going away.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
I was listening to a couple sports shows that think something will take its place. Something along the lines of Purdue and IU vs Kentucky and Louisville. There was also talk of possibly adding Illinois with other somewhat local, but out of state teams. I guess we shall wait and see.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Not sure why IU would need to be a part of anything like this. They’re having trouble filling their own arena, and their attendance has dropped precipitously at the CRC as their program has faded into obscurity. Have Purdue, another Big Ten team, Kentucky and another national power and it will draw extremely well and offer top level play, something that we’re not going to see if IU is included. Ticket sales will be greater as will the national profile, and it will attract plenty of tv eyeballs. It also lets IU get stomped for a paycheck against the likes of Kansas, something they likely need as their basketball revenues continue to drop.

Butler might work, too. That would give the event representation from four major conferences.
The decline in IU fan attendance was once again very noticeable. We‘ve seen it over the last several years just Like they’ve seen attendance drop at their home games. They even reduced student tickets and tried to sell them to the general public and there’s no demand. Definitely seeing the same thing at the CRC. Better to get a nationally competitive program to replace them and it will take on a much bigger profile.

Screw IU in these plans. Replace them with Illinois and then ask UK and Louisville.
I agree! If anyone remembers the big 4 classic, or whatever it was called, they had iu, nd, uk & ul. Why nd & not Purdue? Well, iu & knight didn't want Purdue in it & only agreed to participate if we were shut out. So screw them, they aren't relevant anyway!

The decline in IU fan attendance was once again very noticeable. We‘ve seen it over the last several years just Like they’ve seen attendance drop at their home games. They even reduced student tickets and tried to sell them to the general public and there’s no demand. Definitely seeing the same thing at the CRC. Better to get a nationally competitive program to replace them and it will take on a much bigger profile.
On the other hand, events like this are often designed around television. And, like it or not, Indiana is a network draw. They've gotten premium draws and time slots in the ACC Challenge for years while better Purdue teams are often assigned mid-level opponents and earlier games.

Screw IU in these plans. Replace them with Illinois and then ask UK and Louisville.
Kentucky already plays in 2 of these types of events, the Champions Classic with MSU/KU/Duke, and the CBS one yesterday with UNC/OSU/UCLA. Can't imagine they would do another one.

Reactions: TooPoorToBleedGold
I'd still love to see an all Indiana tourney right around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Purdue, IU, ND, Evansville, ISU, Ball State, IUPUI, PFW, Valparaiso and Butler. If IU and ND opt out you have the perfect 8 team tourney.

Reactions: punaj
I'd still love to see an all Indiana tourney right around Thanksgiving or Christmas. Purdue, IU, ND, Evansville, ISU, Ball State, IUPUI, PFW, Valparaiso and Butler. If IU and ND opt out you have the perfect 8 team tourney.
And probably better competition.

Could do an Illiana tourament with 2 Illinois teams, 2 indiana teams. Loyala of chicago vs Purdue (top 25 or so team) Illinois vs either butler or ND. Or even Valparaiso as theyre close to Chicago area and almost as good as Butler/ND

On the other hand, events like this are often designed around television. And, like it or not, Indiana is a network draw. They've gotten premium draws and time slots in the ACC Challenge for years while better Purdue teams are often assigned mid-level opponents and earlier games.
But are they REALLY a network draw? I would be shocked if they truly are...especially now...as they no longer are a draw in person to their own fans, regardless of where they play. They once were a draw, I agree...now...of minimal interest, to literally anyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT