ADVERTISEMENT

CMP getting eviscerated on the SCORE

I figured he got paid to go to UConn, but if he didn't then I obviously must have embarrassed the Purdue fan base. I assume you did verify that he wasn't paid, because as I said he just had a bidding hand to make that possible than Lance didn't. That was the difference. I can't read someone's mind. I'm just surprised he wasn't paid. There have been posts about Mason playing somewhere to get NIL money and to my surprise I figured Can could bid a higher dollar than Mason.
Holy ridiculous extrapolation, Batman!

Please show me where I EVER said (or even implied) that Spencer wasn’t paid…

Hint: it ain’t there.

Of course Spencer was paid — you’re conjuring nonsense to rationalize the totally inappropriate label you slapped on a kid..

The point - which you repeatedly acknowledge - is that NOBODY KNOWS the exact specifics of Spencer’s transfer.

Therefore, to label this young person a “mercenary” is at best:
a) an unintentional accident — and at worst is

b), a sour-grapes, mean-spirited, holier-than-thou exercise in hypocrisy.

You seem to be an honorable dude, so I’ll assume you represent Option a)….

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Quickly the RossMackey poster accused me of embarrassing the fan base for not liking the pay for play...which I don't. It is insane what is going on today in sports and I know for certain my thoughts don't matter. I've shifted my stance held for decades that players shouldn't be paid. I don't have as big a problem today, but I think there has to be limitations on the amount and especially when it is offered. I think the NCAA has to put in place things to eliminate it being a recruiting tool else we fall farther away from the student athlete. I really despise it being used as a recruiting tool and yet that is where it is. We saw that with Pack. I get fans buy shirts and such and players getting a cut...no problem...no issues what so ever with that. I'm sure you recall Alford getting in trouble with a calendar years ago.

I'm a Purdue fan and might not have been had I not chose Purdue for college. I'm not for pay to play, but once in school and they make money off of commercials and what have you...not a big deal for me. I'm also aware this has went on for years at some places. For the record and better understanding...there is a player today going to a team as a result of money offered. It doesn't matter to me whether that player beats Purdue, doesn't beat Purdue or never plays Purdue...I'm not a fan. That is my stance and others can disagree. I have just tossed in my mind that when the growth of offering money to players in recruiting to get them is even more prevalent if I'll even like college ball...and again those players getting a cut from commercials and merchandise I have no issue. I always thought Purdue was a cut above in not charging fees that went to the athletic department like many schools. Anyway, that is my take...
I don't think you and I are that far apart on this. I think the distinction was the inference you made with the "mercenaries" comment at the very beginning. It made it sound like Uconn had bought their team and we didn't. I know of no evidence that Spencer came to Uconn in any different manner than Jones came to us. Nigel Pack, Storr are 2 examples that are very different. If Spencer was "bought" that way before he ever got to Uconn, I'm not aware of that. That was my point.

I completely agree that this is very quickly going to spiral out of control. I can only imagine what Cal is going to do at Arkansas for instance. You and I and many others are going to have to decide if that is the game we want to spend time and $$ watching. I love this game, but I don't love where it is headed.

Don't care about Spencer, but about the game... I believe the NCAA wanted a game with good flow. So, fouls had to be called judiciously to keep from it being a free throw marathon.
If fouls were called by the rules Zach would have had three fouls,but also would have shot 17-20 free throws and others on Purdue would have shot more too due to the one and one. Having said that, Purdue likley still would have lost, but by single digits. UConn was just better.

Reactions: RossMackey
…. I think the distinction was the inference you made with the "mercenaries" comment at the very beginning. It made it sound like Uconn had bought their team and we didn't. I know of no evidence that Spencer came to Uconn in any different manner than Jones came to us…..

…. If Spencer was "bought" that way before he ever got to Uconn, I'm not aware of that. That was my point…..
Well said— I thought I was saying precisely this as well, and I apologize for not being clearer.

I just think Purdue fans should hold themselves to a higher standard, and resist the urge in the heat of competition- to throw around pejorative labels….

I don't think you and I are that far apart on this. I think the distinction was the inference you made with the "mercenaries" comment at the very beginning. It made it sound like Uconn had bought their team and we didn't. I know of no evidence that Spencer came to Uconn in any different manner than Jones came to us. Nigel Pack, Storr are 2 examples that are very different. If Spencer was "bought" that way before he ever got to Uconn, I'm not aware of that. That was my point.

I completely agree that this is very quickly going to spiral out of control. I can only imagine what Cal is going to do at Arkansas for instance. You and I and many others are going to have to decide if that is the game we want to spend time and $$ watching. I love this game, but I don't love where it is headed.
He may not have been offered money to come to UConn. I do know he held a hand that could get into a bidding war. Lance didn't hold that kind of hand and so I saw their selling pitch potential quite different and no I do not like where this is going for the reasons I said earlier. I know this went on prior to NIL. I was alerted by the horse people in Florida in the early 80s that they told Norm Sloan the money was there...make them a winner. I know things about recruiting my brother-in-law and so things have went on for years...but other than maybe a few places quite small enticement perhaps. I know around 87 or so that Brugos, Arnold and I think Stack always got haircuts free and so little perks have existed forever.

Their back up big fouled out clingan had 4
I posted on the premium forum that with 7 minutes left in the first half Jones picked up a foul on an illegal screen. Reviewing the play Clingan elbowed Jones in the face.
If the call goes against Clingan and not Jones and Clingan picks up his 2nd foul and a flagrant it changes the whole complection of the game.
Purdue was up 2 at that point.
Clingan is in early foul trouble and Purdue's best perimeter defender and clutch 3 point shooter isn't.

Reactions: tjreese
I posted on the premium forum that with 7 minutes left in the first half Jones picked up a foul on an illegal screen. Reviewing the play Clingan elbowed Jones in the face.
If the call goes against Clingan and not Jones and Clingan picks up his 2nd foul and a flagrant it changes the whole complection of the game.
Purdue was up 2 at that point.
Clingan is in early foul trouble and Purdue's best perimeter defender and clutch 3 point shooter isn't.
There were a few things and bounces that had they been different Purdue would have been in there longer and who knows. Right at the start of the second I think Zach missed point blank...not blocked...maybe not fouled??? but at point blank and they go down and maybe off a scramble they get a 3 ball and instead of the score being 4 it was 9. There were a few plays that could have changed things a bit, but give them credit for the plays they made because Purdue was NOT keeping them out of the lane and when Fletch drove he was bounced around and was covered when he wasn't driving. They got boards and 50-50 balls and got into the lane as Purdue was trailing for the mid range, floaters and lobs and Purdue only had Braden that got deep with Fletch trying but inside a pinball machine it appeared. They had bodies and ball enter the lane and Purdue mostly had ball. ;)

Reactions: Boilers424
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT