ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey discussed on 670 the Score

Personally, I’d like to see him come back for his Covid year. Hone his skills, get stronger, work on his outside shot. The nba career for most players is short, so another year delay won’t make a difference. That said, I do think he has a place in the NBA. I think offensively he could do very well against the all the smaller centers. They won’t want to double him because everybody can shoot the 3 ball and teams are worried about defending it. He can bury the smaller centers or power forwards under the basket for easy buckets and dunks. In the NBA now, it’s not like when Jordan played. You almost can’t touch anybody without fouling. Jordan would have a field day in today’s game. So, with no double team and a very tight whistle, Edey will do well offensively. If they do double him, he will just kick the ball out for a wide open 3 and an assist. It’s his defense they are worried about and guarding the smaller, quicker players who can shoot the 3. But, I say this. Have you watched a game lately? They don’t play defense. It’s a joke, and it’s hard to with the tight whistle. There are teams scoring 150 points some nights, So, maybe teams should worry about their other players playing defense instead of just Edey. At least, he will block some shots and keep possessions to one shot with his rebounding.
If he has the opportunity to get drafted in the first with a guaranteed contract he should go as fast he can.

What I liked most about the Final 4 was just how good JBC was and finally appreciated. Thought we should have beat UCLA but at least beat Iowa in the 3rd - 4th game ( I live in Iowa and that started a long running rivalry with Hawk fans ) and I enjoyed the upper hand
If I remember right, it was the last 3rd place game played in the final 4.

I remember that outside shot Arnette hit at the buzzer to beat Michigan State and Magic to tie for the B1G championship. (He had no outside shot but there was no time and he had to take it.) And then we don't even get in the tournament because they only took two teams from the B1G and there was a three-way tie for the championship.
I was there. If my memory serves me, he banked it in.

Eh same type of folks said O'Connell wouldn't get drafted including some Purdue fans butt hurt because he sat out a bowl game.

Purdue fans butt hurt? Look at the books. Purdue got its whole ass kicked 63-7 -- a record margin of eight touchdowns, for those who think it didn’t count -- in a nationally televised New Year’s Day bowl game, failing to even remotely compete because its six best players each followed the leads of their self-serving coaches and quit the team, with none of them getting drafted one damned spot higher than they’d been projected midseason.

Since you enjoy butt kickings, why not ask Zach to do the same and “opt-out” of the NCAA to “prepare for the draft” four months early? Then bend over.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
Terry Boers carried that show. I think Dan's best moment was confronting Steve Alford, on air, about Pierre Pierce. His takes on Coach K being a fraud were pretty spot on, Paterno too. I haven't listened since Terry left, but Dan was usually pretty prepared when he was spoiling for a fight. Who ya Crappin' was appointment radio.
Have barely listened to WSCR in the last 10 years. Lawrence Holmes and Mully are about the only decent ones on there anymore. Once Terry left, Dan became an even bigger blow hole than he already was. “Joe in Evanston” was great radio back in the day though!!!

Reactions: Mr_Scott and SKYDOG
Bernstein is a pompous Dookie, so he knows everything, just ask him. I’ve listened to the Score since it started, but as soon as Bernstein’s shows came on, off it went.
Sort of agree, as a Sox fan though him and Holmes do a great job covering and trashing their favorite team, my favorite coverage is by them. Also, Bernstein these days is a tad less pompous, it was ridiculous a few years ago, better now.

Have barely listened to WSCR in the last 10 years. Lawrence Holmes and Mully are about the only decent ones on there anymore. Once Terry left, Dan became an even bigger blow hole than he already was. “Joe in Evanston” was great radio back in the day though!!!
Dan did become worse when Boers left, he’s better now, he’s toned down the pompous crap a little. Him and Holmes are great with their Sox coverage.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
The Mully and Haugh morning show is all I listen to now. Good banter between the two. I do miss the Grobber though.

Purdue fans butt hurt? Look at the books. Purdue got its whole ass kicked 63-7 -- a record margin of eight touchdowns, for those who think it didn’t count -- in a nationally televised New Year’s Day bowl game, failing to even remotely compete because its six best players each followed the leads of their self-serving coaches and quit the team, with none of them getting drafted one damned spot higher than they’d been projected midseason.

Since you enjoy butt kickings, why not ask Zach to do the same and “opt-out” of the NCAA to “prepare for the draft” four months early? Then bend over.
Hoops is nowhere near as dangerous as football, also, the Big Dance is the Super Bowl for hoops players unlike some bs bowl game that means nothing.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?

Did it suck? Yes. But, the players aren't indentured servants. If they believe the best thing for their future earnings prospects is to sit out a meaningless bowl game...yes, any bowl game not part of selecting the national champ is meaningless...so be it. And, I think O'Connell did get drafted higher than projected if memory serves. He was largely considered a UDFA.

Sort of agree, as a Sox fan though him and Holmes do a great job covering and trashing their favorite team, my favorite coverage is by them. Also, Bernstein these days is a tad less pompous, it was ridiculous a few years ago, better now.
I really can’t believe people listen to these clowns. They talk so little sports that I just can’t listen in to their nonsense.

Yikes

Hoops is nowhere near as dangerous as football, also, the Big Dance is the Super Bowl for hoops players unlike some bs bowl game that means nothing.

Did it suck? Yes. But, the players aren't indentured servants. If they believe the best thing for their future earnings prospects is to sit out a meaningless bowl game...yes, any bowl game not part of selecting the national champ is meaningless...so be it. And, I think O'Connell did get drafted higher than projected if memory serves. He was largely considered a UDFA.

Right. That bowl game meant nothing. Except to LSU. The SEC. ABC-TV.. The national audience. The national advertisers. The 42,791 in attendance. The receivers … of the $8,224,578 payout.

As for getting hurt, the odds are wider than that spread was, but we’re impressed by those who bail on the teammates who got them there, so they can dodge all those injuries and tend to themselves. During the season, they should “opt out” of potentially rough plays. Sit one for the Gripper.

I’ve seen Purdue basketball crash in the NCAA after injuries to Rick Mount and Glenn Robinson, so apparently we should quit running that risk, too. Postseason pain and no gain.

It’s Groundhog Day. Athletes seeing their shadow need to go home.

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18

I bet you’re fun at parties

Right. That bowl game meant nothing. Except to LSU. The SEC. ABC-TV.. The national audience. The national advertisers. The 42,791 in attendance. The receivers … of the $8,224,578 payout.

As for getting hurt, the odds are wider than that spread was, but we’re impressed by those who bail on the teammates who got them there, so they can dodge all those injuries and tend to themselves. During the season, they should “opt out” of potentially rough plays. Sit one for the Gripper.

I’ve seen Purdue basketball crash in the NCAA after injuries to Rick Mount and Glenn Robinson, so apparently we should quit running that risk, too. Postseason pain and no gain.

It’s Groundhog Day. Athletes seeing their shadow need to go home.
I wish AOC had played. But if He felt it was the best decision for his future to sit out, who am I to dispute that?

I bet you’re fun at parties

Boiler Gold. Cigar. Lamp Shade.

My all-time favorite is Bob Gibson. Line drive off his leg by Roberto Clemente. Broken. Pitched to three more batters before collapsing on the mound. Came back to be the World Series MVP, then posted a 1.12 ERA the next season with 13 shutouts. I think of him whenever I hear “opt out.”

Yes, an Arnette Hallman mention. A true glass eater. Super tough and could jump out of the gym.
I think he was gone before Keady could coach him, but regarding glass eaters, I remember Keady saying once, “it’s always good to have a couple of glass eaters on your team”
Lee Rose had him

I really can’t believe people listen to these clowns. They talk so little sports that I just can’t listen in to their nonsense.
They talk a ton of sports when I listen, during MLb season they’re on point with Sox talk. Holmes is my favorite, he knows his stuff about the Sox, he’s my go to. I don’t listen a ton during football because it’s too much Bears talk, it gets old.

I liked the show because it was the closest thing that compared to the old AM1000 WLUP. Iykyk. It was original, and it wasn't all about stick and ball sports. Terry covered the local horse racing back in the day. His insight to seedy underside of owners and trainers was fascinating. And I don't know how, as Purdue fans, you don't like Dan. He hated Steve Alford, couldn't stand Bob Knight or IU, and was tepidly complimentory of Purdue. The Wednesday b4 Thanksgiving shows were epic because all the callers were drunk. And credit to Tannehill (sp ?) He was the best booth man in Chicago.

Reactions: JoeSwanson83
nope...the next year when I think Arkansas and ND played was the last one.

I thought Gemstate boiler was right, but now that you mention it Arkansas had the triplets I think

it was '81, but that was Virginia beating Louisiana State University, 78-74.

Arkansas defeated Notre Dame in the '78 third place game. The Razorbacks had the trio of Sidney Moncrief, Ron Brewer, and Marvin Delph. Oh, by the way, one of Arkansas' assistant coaches was some guy named Gene Keady.

Why am I not surprised one of the hurt butts belonged to you? Lol

Yes with Aidan it would have been 63-21, way better.

By the way, how'd Gillis do last game?

Boiler Gold. Cigar. Lamp Shade.

My all-time favorite is Bob Gibson. Line drive off his leg by Roberto Clemente. Broken. Pitched to three more batters before collapsing on the mound. Came back to be the World Series MVP, then posted a 1.12 ERA the next season with 13 shutouts. I think of him whenever I hear “opt out.”
So... you're really old. Checks out. I'll be sure to stay off your lawn.

I liked the show because it was the closest thing that compared to the old AM1000 WLUP. Iykyk. It was original, and it wasn't all about stick and ball sports. Terry covered the local horse racing back in the day. His insight to seedy underside of owners and trainers was fascinating. And I don't know how, as Purdue fans, you don't like Dan. He hated Steve Alford, couldn't stand Bob Knight or IU, and was tepidly complimentory of Purdue. The Wednesday b4 Thanksgiving shows were epic because all the callers were drunk. And credit to Tannehill (sp ?) He was the best booth man in Chicago.
It’s very easy not to like Bernstein. Although, he’s marginally better without his sock puppet, Boers.

Why am I not surprised one of the hurt butts belonged to you? Lol

Yes with Aidan it would have been 63-21, way better.

By the way, how'd Gillis do last game?
Pains me to agree with you but Born Boiler is a big old bitch.

I listened, WSCR in Chicago, I mean they’re sort of right, I do think that Edey can make a team and a lot of money though, Cardinal made a ton, Edey can stick around the league. If he can’t he’ll make plenty overseas. Those guys didn’t say anything bad about him, they just questioned his role in today’s NBA, they’re not wrong. As for Edey coming back, think there’s a chance Gilles does, Edey, I highly doubt.
We are already oversigned on scholarships. Two people would need to leave for Gillis.

We are already oversigned on scholarships. Two people would need to leave for Gillis.

Wouldn't surprise me if 2 or more left.....happens. Although I am guessing Gillis not coming back. Though no one really knows.

As long as it's not Braden Smith, we will likely still be a top four B10 team. Higher if a couple of the frosh can beat out current starters....that implies a big upgrade, as our starters are pretty good.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Bernstein and Holmes both concluded Zach has no future in the NBA. He’s just big.

He certainly can’t be successful playing in the post in the NBA. If he can’t guard the perimeter or develop a perimeter game of his own, I’m afraid they’re right.
Well he will be back next year as a walk on then and NIL $$$

So... you're really old. Checks out. I'll be sure to stay off your lawn.

Well, thank goodness. No lawn could ever handle that much manure.

I was around to hear your first words. Said the future champion of deserters, “No mas.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT